collapse

barrus

• National Champion
  • Liked: 371
the gym
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:23 »
After a few weeks of doing almost nothing I have decided to restart my training. One of my new decisions is to incorporate some training at the gym as well. However I have never been to a gym and don't really know which types of training over there would be most beneficial, I would presume those types of workouts that focus on the legs would be most beneficial for my riding, although obviously the rest of the body must be trained as well and how strenuous a training I should do. I ask it here since the gym that is most reasonably prized and closest is a gym that is focused on mma, boxing and those types of sports so i don't know how much they would know about cycling training over there
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:58 by barrus »

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: the gym
    « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:16 »
    Discussion made slightly difficult because I don't know the names of all the machines and there seems to be no decent chart out there to post.

I don't use gyms now but if I were to start again, I would concentrate on toning rather than pulling. Pulling is a winter thing and even then you have to be very careful to balance it with plenty of cardio work and avoid putting on too much mass, otherwise you'll be built for little more than track sprints!

So what I'm talking about there is stepping, rowing, and so on, with reasonably low weight or resistance. Maybe a little chest pulling at the most.

If the gym you're looking at is more about pulling and lifting big weights to build muscle mass, then perhaps consider somewhere more focused on athletics.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    Re: the gym
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 13:57 »
    After a few weeks of doing almost nothing I have decided to restart my training. One of my new decisions is to incorporate some training at the gym as well. However I have never been to a gym and don't really know which types of training over there would be most beneficial, I would presume those types of workouts that focus on the legs would be most beneficial for my riding, although obviously the rest of the body must be trained as well and how strenuous a training I should do. I ask it here since the gym that is most reasonably prized and closest is a gym that is focused on mma, boxing and those types of sports so i don't know how much they would know about cycling training over there
    Well usually gym guys here don t know anything about cycling eather. But ask someone to show you correct way of doing it, I mean free weights and machines can be fliped up sometimes.

Ok I am writing you Sven Nys exercise from my book:
    leg press
    calfs
    lat pulley
    leg curl
    sitting row
    half squat
    triceps
    bench press
    crunches
    biceps curl
    gluteus
    and stretching after

Repetitions 3x10, 3x12, 4x10, 4x12, 5x12,  5x15, 5x17, 5x20 all muscle groups
    3x6, 4x6, 4x7, 4x8 quads up only to 75% of 1 RM rep maximum.
    Doing some 15-30 min rollers after legs.

Listen there is lot of ways of doing this and depends on time, goals, wether and motivation.I am doing mainly some core exercise, lot of squats, dead lifting, and leg press, but squats are bingo, after that I jump on spinning bike. I am not doing any other exercise coz upper body muscle mass, only legs.

Hey, ask someone to show you machines and weights,  doesn t matter if they focused on MMA they must know proper way of doing it. Talking with old school sprinters here, they used to practice explosive&dynamic stuff like jumps with weights, as I say there is zillion ways.

Hope this help.
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!