collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10844
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
General News that does not require its own thread
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:19 »
1st bit of news for the thread then

the Specialized vs. Volagi case

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/02/news/david-vs-goliath_206046
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10844
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2625
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    Bike pedals that double as locks will stymie thieves

U-locks are ok, and monster chains are a bit better but we all know thieves can be crafty when picking a lock, no matter what the size. What if there was an easy way to prevent your bike from being usable should someone tinker with your lock? That's exactly the idea behind bike pedals that also serve as your bike lock.
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5846
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Now I don't know about you - of course I don't, this is a relatively anonymous online forum - but I could not avoid reading a bit of a sneer into a few of the captions on this gallery:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/vuelta-a-san-juan-rarely-seen-bikes-alongside-worldtour-tech-gallery/

A closer look at the Shimano 105 drivetrain

I mean do we, the great unwashed, really need to get a closer look at the sort of kit we see every day on our own commuter or winter bikes?  :D

Well, let me tell you, you and you, the readers of VR, that, whatever CN makes of it, I am not at all sneery about this. :P

At the beginning of every season, especially on the slow news days, we get image after image after image of Super Record and Dura Ace and, well, that SRAM one, and it's like they're rubbing our poor noses in it with all that fancy and expensive tech. The sort of stuff many of us will never own because we have to buy food or pay rent or travel around Asia.

Finally, at last, enfin, we get to see the bike or bikes of an everyman (or everywoman) on top of a team car or between the legs of a local nobody with a race number on it. And no, folks, this is not one of Jimble's Wednesday night time trials. This is the Vuelta a San Juan in Argentina. Nation of silver, not gold. Nation of Ultegra or 105, not Dura Ace.

How wonderful, then, to regard these obscure bike manufacturers named after abstract concepts and discredited former Soviet secret police bosses, a celebration of the affordable, the utilitarian, the functional, the mid-range mediocre.

More of this and now, please! :P
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Recent Posts

Re: 73rd Omloop Het Nieuwsblad by Francois the Postman
    [Today at 01:49]

Re: Astana by t-72
    [February 23, 2018, 22:25]

Re: [2.2] Tour of Antalya by Leadbelly
    [February 23, 2018, 18:48]

Re: Roadbooks by subZ37O
    [February 23, 2018, 16:30]

Re: Abu Dhabi Tour 2018 by L'arri