I am back
  • ReplyReply

• Anchor

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 18
    • Pro Cycling is life
    Re: Introduce yourself
    « Reply #811 on: December 16, 2019, 15:55 »
    Hi -my names Danny - live in the Black Country but I am a southerner.

I have been into pro cycling for about 10 years but the last five my interest has turned into obsession.  #sky

Not that I am any kind of expert, yet!   

Love any pro cycling but in partuicular the Spring classics and The Ronde.

Sold my bike about three years ago - sick of getting spat out the back on group rides - get my endorphin kicks from running these days.

:D
  • ReplyReply
  • Aim low and miss.

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8373
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #812 on: December 16, 2019, 18:11 »
    Welcome Anchor!

Cycling >> Running for me.

There's no let up when out on a jog (well, you could walk/stop for a bit), but there's always the next downhill when out on a bike for some recovery time. Can't beat a bit of freewheeling.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7691
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #813 on: December 16, 2019, 19:34 »
    There's no let up when out on a jog (well, you could walk/stop for a bit), but there's always the next downhill when out on a bike for some recovery time. Can't beat a bit of freewheeling.
    What he says. :D

And :welcome Anchor!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Anchor

• Sunday Rider
    • Pro Cycling is life
    « Reply #814 on: December 17, 2019, 12:49 »
    Thank you guys - a lot to look around and a lot of knowledge to glean.

Many Thanks to who ever runs this place.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3753
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #815 on: December 17, 2019, 15:18 »
    Sold my bike about three years ago - sick of getting spat out the back on group rides - get my endorphin kicks from running these days.
    Ah, never mind those group rides, solo riding is where it's at. I would say just enjoy riding at your own pace and simply being out on the bike.
     ;)

Can't beat a bit of freewheeling.
    Sure you can—with a fixed gear!  :cool

I rode the entire 2019 season on a fixie, and it was probably the most rewarding and inspiring year I've ever had on the bike. I'm hoping to start a good thread about it, actually. It completely changed my perspective on riding, and opened up a whole new avenue of self-exploration. It was really quite profound. I've never felt as comfortable, confident and powerful on the bike before as I did this past season.

Whereas I'm usually lucky if I have just a handful of great days on the bike—interspersed with more suffering than anything else on all the other days—this past year was just the opposite. I only remember one really bad day where I suffered through all of it on a long six-hour ride. On most other days I felt exceptionally good, and really "in tune" between mind, body and machine.

Granted, I probably put in more weekly miles than ever before (for various reasons), which tends to make you feel better on the bike anyway, but time and time again I'd find myself thinking, Wow, I feel really great today.

It was quite the revelation. I really do need to launch that thread.  :)

Oh, and Welcome, Anchor. :hi
  • ReplyReply

• Anchor

• Sunday Rider
    • Pro Cycling is life
    « Reply #816 on: December 18, 2019, 11:11 »
    christ - do you live in Holland?

Where I live, in a natural bowl, there are punchy hills everywhere.  I struggled getting up the buggers on my road bike with gears - no chance of doing it on a fixie.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #817 on: December 19, 2019, 17:43 »
    christ - do you live in Holland?

On the contrary. I'm surrounded by what Sheldon Brown accurately described as, "the small rolling hills of New England."  :)

That's what surprised me the most, the ability to climb the same hills I've done for years, but with less suffering, actually. Slow and steady, steady, steady. And sometimes not so slow!
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1807
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #818 on: December 19, 2019, 18:40 »
    On the contrary. I'm surrounded by what Sheldon Brown accurately described as, "the small rolling hills of New England."  :)

That's what surprised me the most, the ability to climb the same hills I've done for years, but with less suffering, actually. Slow and steady, steady, steady. And sometimes not so slow!

Maybe you’re just having a Dylan Teuns month. Next month Aru.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8373
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #819 on: December 19, 2019, 20:49 »
    No doubt there is a fixed combo of gears I could use for my hilly commute 99% 95% of the time, but being able to shift down for that 1% 5% is a lifesaver when you have empty-ish legs or a block headwind on the climb. A strong tailwind on a fixie might not be so much fun either come to think of it.
  • ReplyReply

• Anchor

• Sunday Rider
    • Pro Cycling is life
    « Reply #820 on: December 20, 2019, 08:54 »
    On my old commute I had a 7% hill of a mile long almost as soon as I got out the door - used to kill me!  I could no way imagine that on a fixie!  Not even slow and steady - I was slow and steady in me granny ring! 

I'm a big lad though - the bain of my cycling experience - good on the flat and quick but the sniff of an incline and I was effed.

I rode an old Coppi Lugano and not sure the gears got low enough for me!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fausto-Coppi-Lugano-60cm-Road-Bike-ultegra/283624654182?hash=item420958c566:g:2-QAAOSwWq9di2su

This puppy - looking at that I am thinking of getting another.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1637
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #821 on: December 20, 2019, 11:35 »
    On my old commute I had a 7% hill of a mile long almost as soon as I got out the door - used to kill me!  I could no way imagine that on a fixie!  Not even slow and steady - I was slow and steady in me granny ring! 

I'm a big lad though - the bain of my cycling experience - good on the flat and quick but the sniff of an incline and I was effed.

I rode an old Coppi Lugano and not sure the gears got low enough for me!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fausto-Coppi-Lugano-60cm-Road-Bike-ultegra/283624654182?hash=item420958c566:g:2-QAAOSwWq9di2su

This puppy - looking at that I am thinking of getting another.
    160 quid? Sounds cheap! It would be reasonable at twice the price!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #822 on: December 20, 2019, 11:46 »

Huh. Yeah, Sheldon lived near Boston. Lots of NE is not small or rolling. Well, maybe not lots, but certainly some. I'd say MA is slightly exceptional that way when compared to VT and NH. Of course, EVERYTHING we have in NE is small compared to the Sierras, or the Alps. Perspective.
  • ReplyReply

• Anchor

• Sunday Rider
    • Pro Cycling is life
    « Reply #823 on: December 20, 2019, 12:16 »
    160 quid? Sounds cheap! It would be reasonable at twice the price!

I forget what I sold mine for - now obvioulsy regretting it!
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #824 on: December 23, 2019, 11:39 »

OTOH, Sheldon may have been somewhat tongue-in-cheek with that, and you as well, and I just flat-out missed it!
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #825 on: December 23, 2019, 14:02 »
    Sheldon may have been somewhat tongue-in-cheek with that, and you as well

:slow

No. Not at all. With few exceptions, the roads around here are rarely flat for more than a kilometer or so at a time. It's all up and down.
     :)

• ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1807
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #826 on: December 23, 2019, 14:42 »
    That looks very similar to where I live.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13412
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #827 on: December 23, 2019, 15:41 »
    yes, also Bielefeld, very similar. It's just lovely at this time of the year

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #828 on: December 27, 2019, 15:26 »
    It's just lovely at this time of the year

Charming.  :-x

OT: I wonder why photo bucket pics now have that obnoxious watermark on display?
    I took those images from an older post in the "pics of your ride" thread, where the watermark does not display. But in re-posting them here, it shows up.
    :slow
  • ReplyReply

• jimbo308

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 3
      • TurboCyclist
    « Reply #829 on: January 25, 2020, 15:53 »
    Hi all - quick intro on the important stuff.

I own a Canyon Aeroad w Di2 and a Canyon Exceed w Sram.

I'm riding the Etape du Tour this year, which (I think) is stage 2 of the TdF.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7691
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #830 on: January 25, 2020, 22:31 »
    I'm riding the Etape du Tour this year, which (I think) is stage 2 of the TdF.
    Courage! :cheer
  • ReplyReply

•