Poll

How do you drink coffee?

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2459
Coffee
« on: June 25, 2013, 15:16 »
:coffee

So we have a beer thread and a kitchen thread, but no coffee thread. And since coffee is one of the basic requirements for living, it's time to change that.

How do you drink your coffee?

For me, I mostly drink cappuccino when I take the time to enjoy the coffee. Lungo or filter black (depending on what is available) when working, and espresso after dinner. I actually never drink coffee at breakfast for some reason, prefer tea or just flat water then. Never any sugar, ruins the taste for me. Also, I hate coffee milk (you know, the kind in those small plastic cups) - either steamed milk or no milk at all for me.

Share all your shocking coffee experiences here!
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    Re: Coffee
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 15:20 »
    Long Black is my staple. Around food though I go for something with milk. As a PED, espresso :cool:
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10812
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 15:21 »
    depends really

when working in the restaurant is years gone

milk type coffee generally , but now black  " filter " type most of the day

but the best coffee to get you going is espresso with a shot of cordial ( cordial for non english is that fruit flavored stuff you mix with water that you can get from a super market )

I used to work dbl jobs and on the way from 1 to the other I would stop for my espresso shot - 1st time I ordered it the guys were like wtf , 2nd time the whole bar joined me  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5913
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 15:22 »
    I don't drink coffee. :O

I must forthwirth be excluded from everything cycling-related.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9141
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 15:22 »
    black coffee of whatever kind, no sugar
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3851
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 15:27 »
    Chocolate or caramel latte with extra milk and lots of sugar and :whip cream
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 15:28 »
    Really good coffee: always black
       |
    Good coffee: milk
       |
    Other ground coffee: add hot chocolate / bind with avocado in milkshakes
       |
    Instant coffee: consider tea options

Best I ever had I think was probably some from a still quite experimental plantation in Belize. Deep, peppery and amazingly strong.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 15:37 »
    Currently on my monthly two week spell of Decaff.

Then will celebrate by going on Cappucino for ten cups, before going back to decaff again. :D

At my peak i was doing a 200g jar of instant in about 3 hours.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 15:40 »
    Chocolate or caramel latte with extra milk and lots of sugar and :whip cream
    Fleur are you sure you are drinking coffee there?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 15:48 »
    Former colleague once told me he'd gotten so bad he had to bring his own coffee machine into work. Was on 16 generous espressos a day for a while, living fast and pooping Weetabix.

Eventually, when he couldn't drive for the shakes and then started urinating a bit of blood, he went to the doc.

Almost divorced during the cold turkey but is now happy and well-adjusted again.

True story.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 15:48 »

The couple of times I've drunk coffee I've just become hyperactive.

That's why I drink it...

For me I only go crazy if I'm drinking it whilst I'm actively doing something. If I'm relaxed it is really just a light stimulant.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 15:50 »
    Generally black coffee with just a tiny bit of sugar, not multiple spoons of sugar for sure. I enjoy an espresso after dinner, around 8 oclock in the evening.

Coffee, petrol for humans.. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3851
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 15:52 »
    Fleur are you sure you are drinking coffee there?

:lol
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 15:58 »

I'm a coffee lover, although I've cut down from my peak of 7 or 8 very strong filter coffees a day to 2 or 3. I can't start the day without coffee, although I'm pleased not to have the hangover-type symptoms I used to have on a Saturday morning (except when they are, in fact, symptoms of a hangover... :fp)

I like my coffee strong and dark... I usually add a splash of milk - just enough to change the colour - but I forego this when I don't get to do it myself. This is a particular favourite blend of mine... strength 6 out of 5.

At my peak i was doing a 200g jar of instant in about 3 hours.

Wow, Dim. Just wow...
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    « Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 16:05 »
    Typically Cafe Americano, 3 shots of espresso topped off with hot water.  Coffee right now is Jamaican Blue Mountain until it runs out.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 17:26 »
    When I was 17, as a summer job I worked in a warehouse of a company that sold food and other horeca items to restaurants, bars, hotels, etc. One day I was allowed to go with one of the lorry drivers who brought the items to the customer. I had only just started drinking coffee, but when in the morning the driver went to get coffee I joined him and told him how much I liked it - being 17 years old that sounded cool to me.

At every single bar, hotel, restaurant or wherever we stopped, we were offered a drink after we had delivered everything. Every time, the driver drank coffee and offered me one too. I never turned one down. In that one day, I had about 10 cups of coffee while I was used to an average of 1 cup per month. By the end of the day I was completely messed up: incredibly nervous, hard beating too fast, very hyperactive, extremely emotional... I think I barely slept that night.

Took me months after that before I wanted to drink coffee again.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 17:39 »

Wow, Dim. Just wow...

Go to bed at 3, get up at 7, wake up, five minutes shower and out, couple of cigarettes, coffee on the way to the bus. get to work and pour coffee granules into a cup and pour water on top and drink coffee non stop all day.. no wonder i only slept four hours a night.

giving up caffeine for a year and i felt the benefits in days.. now i just have little stints
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 17:41 »

I'm a coffee lover, although I've cut down from my peak of 7 or 8 very strong filter coffees a day to 2 or 3. I can't start the day without coffee, although I'm pleased not to have the hangover-type symptoms I used to have on a Saturday morning (except when they are, in fact, symptoms of a hangover... :fp)

I like my coffee strong and dark... I usually add a splash of milk - just enough to change the colour - but I forego this when I don't get to do it myself. This is a particular favourite blend of mine... strength 6 out of 5.

Wow, Dim. Just wow...

I had a conversation with one of the guys that roasts that particular coffee.  Are you familiar with the differences between Robusta (cheaper, very high caffeine, burnt tyre taste) and Arabica (lower yield plants, so more expensive, many regional varietals and tastes)?

The Lava Java is the only one that Taylors put Robusta into, and that is for the caffeine hit.

You are the coffee world equivalent of a doper!!!  :D

(I like it too)

For me, its a flat white first thing on waking up. Love espresso too, but I end up drinkin too much.
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 196
    « Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 23:21 »
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 23:38 by Blackbandit222 »
    Sagan supporter.

FreeWheelin

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 76
    « Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 01:00 »
    Well I have just bought my self a coffee roaster.  Just completed my 3 roast... will have to wait 2 or so days to find out how i went.  I'm still figuring it out, but I have been happy with my results so far.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3485
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 01:10 »

http://www.nespresso.com/us/en/coffee-maker-list-Nesp

Nespresso

yeah I have a nespresso too.  I love it.

but I like lots of milk with coffee ... but am a little lactose intolerant these days, so have to limit myself to 1 coffee per day otherwise it messes me up.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 01:20 »
    Espresso has become a bit of a curiosity and study for me.

But I avoid all coffee-related beverages prior to riding, running or working-out. I never understood the correlation.

Dry mouth, edginess...not what I need when the heart-rate is up.

(And I never touch the stuff when drumming!)
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 05:34 »
    One or two shots of espresso (depending on mood and need) with a touch of milk..a cortado mostly..

after a run or hot day I love a good iced latte...low on the milk

always start my day with one of these...always whole milk..otherwise why bother. I only do this in the morning and then am done with coffee for the day.

(occasionally in hot wx I will indulge in a Thai iced tea...then sometimes can't get to sleep :p)
  • ReplyReply

• Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 196
    « Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 15:42 »
    Well I have just bought my self a coffee roaster.  Just completed my 3 roast... will have to wait 2 or so days to find out how i went.  I'm still figuring it out, but I have been happy with my results so far.

Alot of US Pros are roasting as a side job or next career.  I think Hincapie and USCF are hawking coffee for instance.

I'd like to try Roasting like I'd like to be a Home brewer and gardener.
  • ReplyReply

• FreeWheelin

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 76
    « Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 00:04 »
    Alot of US Pros are roasting as a side job or next career.  I think Hincapie and USCF are hawking coffee for instance.

I'd like to try Roasting like I'd like to be a Home brewer and gardener.

It is quite easy and very inexpensive.  I paid $400 for my roaster, now I get green beans for around $10-12/kg compared with $30-40/kg for roasted beans.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 13:32 »
    I had a conversation with one of the guys that roasts that particular coffee.  Are you familiar with the differences between Robusta (cheaper, very high caffeine, burnt tyre taste) and Arabica (lower yield plants, so more expensive, many regional varietals and tastes)?

The Lava Java is the only one that Taylors put Robusta into, and that is for the caffeine hit.

You are the coffee world equivalent of a doper!!!  :D

(I like it too)

For me, its a flat white first thing on waking up. Love espresso too, but I end up drinkin too much.

That's really interesting - I had no idea. I really haven't explored origins/types of bean really... although the Algerian Coffee Shop in Soho has fascinated me for a long time. One day I'll know enough to go in there and not look like a coffee n00b.

Although there was one occasion when my housemate was sent a package of beans from (I think) Costa Rica, and we proceeded to grind them in our food processor and use them in my percolator. My was that delicious!
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 13:43 »
    I've been on a few plantations in Costa Rica. It tends to be light and fruity coffee, the total opposite of the Java.

Personal favourites for me are the Ethiopian types, the dry processed Harrar with its earthy blueberry flavours and the lighter and flowery Yirgacheffe.

Coffee is immense. 2nd after crude oil in commodity market.  So much to be learnt about it.
    Jeez, I can even bore myself with this.
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 12:19 »
    in the summer i do like an iced coffee too.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    « Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 12:56 »
    in the summer i do like an iced coffee too.

For me it's a coffee shake/smoothie!
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 03:47 »
    EL OH EL

Aerosmith's drummer, Joey Kramer, a coffee-lovin' Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Famer, has pounded the skins since his early teens fueled by love for music and spirited beans.

http://www.rockinandroastin.com

:D
  • ReplyReply

•