collapse

Eric

• Shabba!
  • Neo Pro
  • Liked: 102
No love for comedies? Friday, starring Ice Cube and Chris Tucker is my absolute favourite. Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood is also a fantastic display of parody and satire

As far as 'serious' films go I would say my favourites are, in random order, Goodfellas, City of God, Blood Diamond, This Is England, Shottas and Godfather II

I also liked 12 Angry Men (the original 1950s one, not the crap politically correct [like throwing in a few black and female jurors constitutes political correctness] '80s remake), The Dark Knight, Terminator 2, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. In the Heat of Night would also get a mention, but blaxploitation is lol.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 14:15 by Eric »
    The best album ever: itunes.apple.com/us/album/riddim-driven-sleng-teng-extravaganza/id76251384

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    Just saw Sicario, what a great and insanely intense movie with amazing cinemagraphy. Definitely movie of the year for me.
  • ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 81

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1458
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6653
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Over the weekend I saw two recently hyped films, namely Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and The Square.

Both could have benefitted from a judicious bit of trimming here and there and both had some casting and pacing issues but I would recommend them.

Much has been said already about Billboards but when you fill up a movie with just a few acting heavyweights, you had better take care with your supporting cast. Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson all deliver fine performances but Abbie Cornish, in an important unifying role as Harrelson's wife, stands out like a sore thumb here.

Although the film chimes in well with the hashtag sentiments current in Hollywood, Billboards points a wry finger at those who want to climb aboard the progressive train without paying the fare.

A similar theme brings us to The Square. This is a Swedish production of a story not so much about the temporary art exhibit in the title than the museum's director and staff.

Although the aim of the illuminated square outside the host building is to bring people together around certain rather too simplistic values, the film shows how the differences between us often get in the way, especially when we only pretend to share the values.

The consequences are frequently hilarious but also sometimes very uncomfortable to watch and this will work well for you if you enjoy "awkward" comedies like The Office and Dogme 95 films such as Festen or The Idiots.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 14:49 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 412
    consequences are frequently hilarious but also sometimes very uncomfortable to watch and this will work well for you if you enjoy "awkward" comedies like The Office and Dogme 95 films such as Festen or The Idiots.

Haven't seen either - but yes keen to see both, particularly the Square for the reasons that you cite above.. to that end have you seen the 'Boss of it all' another great Von Trier movie; I love the ever more outrageous responsibility swerves as the film unfolds.

We watched Denial last night - its in the free section on Amazon now, and thought it was really well done; great performances from Timothy Spall (as ever); Andrew Scott; but most notably Tom Wilkinson, who has such breadth and gives a film stealing performance.  So much so that we were split as to whether Rachel Weisz did well with what she had or just just a bit short of the three mentioned.  Anyway whilst the story is relatively recent and the outcome known the drama unfolds in a really engaging way.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6653
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Haven't seen either - but yes keen to see both, particularly the Square for the reasons that you cite above.. to that end have you seen the 'Boss of it all' another great Von Trier movie; I love the ever more outrageous responsibility swerves as the film unfolds.

We watched Denial last night - its in the free section on Amazon now, and thought it was really well done; great performances from Timothy Spall (as ever); Andrew Scott; but most notably Tom Wilkinson, who has such breadth and gives a film stealing performance.  So much so that we were split as to whether Rachel Weisz did well with what she had or just just a bit short of the three mentioned.  Anyway whilst the story is relatively recent and the outcome known the drama unfolds in a really engaging way.

Not seen any of those. Good tips though, thanks!
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11325
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    yeah, didn't know any of them were hyped - but all three are good indeed
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2408
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    One film that I own and have been able to watch multiple times:

Shattered Glass (2003)

This film tells the true story of fraudulent Washington, D.C. journalist Stephen Glass (Hayden Christensen), who rose to meteoric heights as a young writer in his 20s, becoming a staff writer at "The New Republic" for three years (1995-1998), where 27 of his 41 published stories were either partially or completely made up. Looking for a short cut to fame, Glass concocted sources, quotes and even entire stories, but his deception did not go unnoticed forever, and eventually, his world came crumbling down.

At only 94 minutes, it's an easy watch that is fairly compelling from start to finish. It also sheds a charming light on the earliest days of the internet and how naive most people were to its workings.

Good performances also from:
    Peter Sarsgaard
    Hank Azaria
    Steve Zahn
    Rosario Dawson
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts