collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5585
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: The Kitchen
« Reply #720 on: January 20, 2016, 13:44 »
Here's what the finished product looked like:
https://twitter.com/lukascph/status/689540220652490760
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1257
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #721 on: January 20, 2016, 13:56 »
    Here's what the finished product looked like:
    https://twitter.com/lukascph/status/689540220652490760

I'm making one tonight!

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #722 on: January 20, 2016, 13:58 »
    I'm making one tonight!
    Bon appetit!
    I just had the second half of mine for lunch. :)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8421
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #723 on: January 20, 2016, 14:05 »
    second "half"  :angel
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #724 on: January 20, 2016, 14:34 »
    second "half"  :angel
    :lol
    That pic was taken after I'd removed a small portion so that people could see the inside of the pie and not just the surface.
    I did eat half of it yesterday. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #725 on: January 20, 2016, 19:25 »
    :lol
    That pic was taken after I'd removed a small portion so that people could see the inside of the pie and not just the surface.
    I did eat half of it yesterday. :P

Ok we believe you.

In the oven now.

• ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #726 on: January 20, 2016, 19:55 »
    It's delish

• ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    • Liked: 535
    « Reply #727 on: January 24, 2016, 04:43 »
    mutton if I remember correctly requires long slow moist cookery.

What I remember is a VERY strong and distinct, and unpleasant, flavor. In the US sheep meat is extremely uncommon, so I don't really know "whats up with this". But I wasn't willing to try again. OTH, like I was saying, lamb seems no different from beef.
  • ReplyReply
  • Ubi est ignis

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2574
    • Social Media Jurist
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #728 on: January 24, 2016, 11:17 »
    What I remember is a VERY strong and distinct, and unpleasant, flavor. In the US sheep meat is extremely uncommon, so I don't really know "whats up with this". But I wasn't willing to try again. OTH, like I was saying, lamb seems no different from beef.

ever have a old rooster? like you would use for coq au vin? very strong flavor. I had to adjust when I moved to Mexico. The chicken tastes different (stronger) and they don't age their beef.
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

hiero

• National Champion
    • Liked: 535
    « Reply #729 on: January 24, 2016, 23:41 »
    ever have a old rooster? like you would use for coq au vin? very strong flavor. I had to adjust when I moved to Mexico. The chicken tastes different (stronger) and they don't age their beef.

Oh! I've got a story about an old rooster, and Mexico! My first career was with a major airlines who had regular flights to Mexico. I loved to work the Mazatlan and PV routes. And went down often to take a break. One time I was going down on vaca, and I was going to drive, because I wanted to see more of the country than I usually did. A friend of a friend wanted to go along, and he was willing to share cost, so what the hey, we went. One of my station buddies in PV was a ramp chief. He invited us to stay out at his "rancho" up in the hills.

It was a simple house. No plumbing. Probably adobe. He had a nice orange grove there. We strung hammocks in the orange trees to sleep. We wanted to go see a cock fight (spoiler alert, yep, it was one of the fighting cocks we got to dine on!). Of course, we were the only gringos in sight. My Spanish was tourist minimal, but good at that level, his was nonexistent. We never did figure out the betting system! Sat there and drank raicilla - got drunker than sh*t, of course.

I had an idea in my head, that I'd gotten from a magazine article about tying flies (fishing flies), and how cock hackle feathers could be valuable. I was thinking - why not take advantage of the losing bird at the cockfights down in Mexico and import the hackles back to the US? So I wanted a losing cock with good hackles as a test case. I settled on one particular bird, and approached the owning team, looking to buy the carcass. Now, I figured they would be willing to let it go cheap. It was a dead rooster, after all! But they were a bit more canny than that, and demanded a decent price, even tho the bird was dead!

Sometime before dawn, we got back to the rancho. Darker than hades, it was. And drunk as skunks, we were! No way I was going to clean the bird that night, so I hung it from the rafters outside the house.

Got up in the morning, about 2 minutes before it wasn't morning any more. Oi. No need to mention that aspirin was a high priority, and so was coffee. And then the mamacita thanked us for bringing the rooster home! She had already plucked it, and turned it into stew! So we enjoyed my "test case" bird for lunch. It was a good lunch[1]
     1. Of course, a fighting cock is not likely to be an old bird, but I can't imagine it would be a tender bird, either! But this is about the extent of my experience with eating rooster.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #730 on: March 18, 2016, 00:02 »
    some more or less recent photos I still had on my phone...

Bratwurst, potatoes & fava beans (?) ("Dicke Bohnen")

Different kinds of roulade (first one pork, second one beef as far as I can remember), with potatoes and vegetables

Kinda mediterranean style pork filet with mashed potatoes

Ossobuco alla milanese, I think

• ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2574
    • Social Media Jurist
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #731 on: August 20, 2016, 16:58 »

• ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #732 on: September 05, 2016, 16:30 »

Made chicken and guacamole burritos last week, I think its quickly becoming one of my favorite foods, only thing is I forgot to make a picture of the end result.. I think Im going to make shrimp & salsa burritos soon.

To make the guacamole:
    2 avocados
    1 lime
    1 tomato
    1 onion

Other things on the burrito:
    500 grams of chicken
    Loads of parmesan cheese

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #733 on: January 14, 2017, 08:28 »
    nice, I found a filter to make bread dumplings look fancy :D

• ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #734 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28 »
    My mum's Minestrone is the best soup I've ever tasted.

Carol’s Famous Minestrone

Fry up 1 carrot
    Half onion
    half leek
    small turnip
    Clove of garlic
    Spoonful Olive oil / 1 oz butter

Then add 3 chicken stock cubes
    in 2 pints of water
    4 rashers of bacon (or ham) cut up small.
    Small tin of tomato puree 140 g
    Tin of tomatoes 425g
    1 stick of celery
    quarter of small white cabbage
    one third mug of small pasta.
    few peas and beans.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10232
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #735 on: March 10, 2017, 07:05 »
    My mum's Minestrone is the best soup I've ever tasted.

Carol’s Famous Minestrone

Fry up 1 carrot
    Half onion
    half leek
    small turnip
    Clove of garlic
    Spoonful Olive oil / 1 oz butter

Then add 3 chicken stock cubes
    in 2 pints of water
    4 rashers of bacon (or ham) cut up small.
    Small tin of tomato puree 140 g
    Tin of tomatoes 425g
    1 stick of celery
    quarter of small white cabbage
    one third mug of small pasta.
    few peas and beans.

this weekend Joel :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #736 on: March 10, 2017, 10:31 »
    this weekend Joel :cool

Just cut all the carrots, onions amd other veg small and don't add too much pasta (small bits like 1cm pieces of spaghetti work or those tiny shells).

Also best prepared a few hours ahead of eating, let it simmer gently for 2 to 3 hours after adding all the bits, with the lid on.

I'm making another batch too as it happens, my son has requested it (and he didn't like soup until 2 weeks ago).  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #737 on: March 10, 2017, 20:18 »
    Just cut all the carrots, onions amd other veg small and don't add too much pasta (small bits like 1cm pieces of spaghetti work or those tiny shells).

Also best prepared a few hours ahead of eating, let it simmer gently for 2 to 3 hours after adding all the bits, with the lid on.

I'm making another batch too as it happens, my son has requested it (and he didn't like soup until 2 weeks ago).  :lol

Btw Jsg, also add a good teaspoon of salt and ground black pepper (as if it was going out of fashion - I add loads) but obviously to taste.

Just made mine with boy.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #738 on: March 15, 2017, 14:29 »
    leftovers turned into a Tortellini salad, with Halloumi & Avocado mousse :)

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #739 on: March 19, 2017, 14:01 »
    as Echoes was complaining about the hamburger discussion in the shoutbox the other day, only for him (yeah, that is a lie :shh) I tried a vegetarian one day (roughly using a "Germanized" version of this recipe for the patties)

and although those patties were a bit crumbly and difficult to keep in shape tbh, it tasted really well :cool
  • ReplyReply

•