collapse

blutto

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 119
Re: Best/favorite tv series ever
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 13:15 »
....just piling thru BBC cop-udrama Luther w/ Idris Elba....very very well done....

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• nvpacchi

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 13
    • Puttin' infinity up on trial
    « Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 17:49 »
    The Wire is absolutely classic and probably my favorite show.  But it would have never existed without David Simon's Homicide book and TV show.

His year covering the BPD resonates greatly in "Homicide: Life on the Streets", and through some prying and close observation the Wire as well.

The first taste of the Baltimore streets and McNulty is straight out of conversations Simon heard back in the early 90s.  "We had to let him play, this is America man"

Bunk Moreland and Jay Landsman are based off real cops.  The "real Jay Landsman" actually plays Bunny Colvin's 2nd in command.

The Veteran of the Homicide Unit Donald Worden has his name thrown in the series several times, though no appearances.

Ex-Lieutenant Gary D'addario also wets his feet in acting, playing the
    Spoiler (hover to show)

Not to mention all the stickup men who inspired Omar, street informant Possum who inspired Bubbles, Vernon Collins  who inspired Wey Bey, and Tommirror Stanfield who inspired Marlo

As Hitch stated in a previous post regarding 40 years to live, he's spot on.  A true study of Baltimore, not to mention all the pressing social issues of the day that relentlessly suffocate down-trodden cities.

Anyone who has not read Simon's book 'Homicide' I strongly encourage it.  It will give you an added appreciation for the Wire and how true to life this "fictitious TV show" actually is.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 18:03 by nvpacchi »

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1057
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 22:56 »
    Lately I've been watching Person of Interest and Nikita. I think theyre pretty awesome action series, with Person of Interest being the favorite of the two.
  • ReplyReply

• Thround

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 06:22 »
    American Gothic. Such a thrilling series. It was this series that got me interested in the beauty of America, 5 years ago.

• ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 991
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 09:47 »
    The Boys is good. Really good
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 991
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #35 on: December 31, 2020, 10:45 »
    I don't like the boys so much now. Kill an important superhero for goodness sake
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9491
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #36 on: March 11, 2022, 19:08 »

This time next week! There's no Mick obviously or Phil - his knees have given out I believe, but Carenza makes a welcome return alongside the old bickering couple of Stewart and John.

Oi Fus, did Time Team ever make it to your TV screens incontinental Europe?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7941
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #37 on: March 11, 2022, 19:25 »
    Oi Fus, did Time Team ever make it to your TV screens incontinental Europe?
    Not that I know of, no.
    I have watched some episodes of it on YouTube, though. Baldrick Tony Robinson is a good narrator, but I don't recognise the other names you've mentioned.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14723
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #38 on: March 11, 2022, 20:12 »
    never seen it either, but according to a quick Google research, two seasons (10 and 13) were on German TV ("Discovery Geschichte" - which is very niche) in German a couple of years after
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9491
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #39 on: March 11, 2022, 20:36 »
    I don't recognise the other names you've mentioned.

Mick - Jerry Garcia wearing a jumper knitted by his wife
    Phil - Wild man of Borneo the West Country with inch long finger nails
    Stewart - lumps and bumps archaeologist
    John - geophysics

They had some great episodes (earlier on generally). The Nevis one (as in St. Kitts and...) springs to mind - it must have cost a fortune. Who'd have thought an Amerindian pot handle would be so exciting.
  • ReplyReply

•