collapse

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 4450
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
Youll like the new sky kit

I didnt say that

Massive trolling by dim :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7398
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Massive trolling by dim :lol
    Must have been the switch from Adidas to Rapha, that.

Actually, having had a quick look at the old #2012sky jersey again, the new #sky one is an improvement.
    Those three white stripes were just awful, and Rapha have made far better champion's jerseys than Adidas as well.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11131
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    The new Boels kit in the womens section got a few hmmm not sure

but in the videos of the races it seems to work really well in the short time we get the see it
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    The new Boels kit in the womens section got a few hmmm not sure

but in the videos of the races it seems to work really well in the short time we get the see it

Did it? I think it's brilliant. By no means a design classic but it must be said that the women's peloton has the creative edge right now.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    I never really got around to a serious discussion of design theory in relation to cycling kits but there must be a ...

a) thorough appreciation of the medium and the manner in which it presents itself

b) proper level of respect for each party in the transaction, namely the sponsor and the riders

c) positive tension between the inventive and the conservative in the application of colour theory

While the first two are universal, the third is a matter of personal taste. What we usually find with kits we don't like is that one or more of the above will have been breached in some way.

For example: #ag2r is very well designed by a strict reading of the criteria of (a) and (b) but for me it fails on (c) and thus somewhat hurts (b) with regard to the riders, even while it is part of the sponsor's corporate identity.

Another exercise is to remove the point of failure and re-examine. I'll do that now.

Brown FFS

Ask most VR members and they'll tell you that their main Greipel with the #ag2r kit is the liberal employment of brown. On a cyclist, it looks like nothing more than sh*t-coloured anathema, hence the failure on (c) above.

So why on Earth did the company's corporate identity designers choose brown?

Well, I don't know for sure, but they certainly didn't have the cycling team in mind when they rebranded after the merger of AG2R (formerly known as "Association Générale de Retraite par Répartition", hence AG2R) and La Mondiale in mid-2009.

A wild guess is that, together with muted cyan, it all has to do with an analogy of earth and sky or water, elements of which we can be reasonably certain in this life while everything else is, as popular French singer Manu Chao memorably put it, a tombola.

It also happens that these colours are complementary, which is key to our scientific perception of that which is 'beautiful' or 'harmonious', as you can see in this rough mockup...

But what if ... ?

The kit would probably appeal to VR members moreso if it gave the riders a bit more dignity but, as the very first incarnation of the AG2R team shows us, that is not always straightforward with Vincent Lavenu who has proved down the years to be, at least in kit terms, some kind of inverted King Midas.

Here's Oleg Kozlitine modelling that famous farce:

And after suffering that humiliation, is it any wonder that a decade later he would be using U23 riders as drug runners for Cofidis?

So AG2R's corporate identity may be a fait accompli but there's no reason not to dabble with those colours and in particular that faecal brown.

Other harmonious colour relationships exist beyond complementary, so let's see if we can solve a problem like (c) just with the power of the simplest changes, swapping out only the hue of stools and sticking to the rules of colour theory.

Compound colour relationships offer greater contrast but with some genuinely exciting possibilities. Consider an AG2R cyan's compounds:

The blues out left offer little contrast but that blood red is bordering on spectacular. Let's try that:

Not bad, is it?  :s

Now for something really radical. Triadic colours:

Channelling T-Mobile a bit with that one. Or better, Koechli's ridiculously modern design classic from the 90s (also an insurance / pensions sponsor):

So there we are folks. I hope the above showed us that the #ag2r design is actually pretty sound. It's just that diarrhoetic brown that sends the whole thing down the toilet bowl.

And that was colour. Next time, if I can get my shiznit together, I might talk about geometry.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 16:41 by L'arri »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7398
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013

This invokes *lu and #rsnt too much in my opinion. They do have Ben Gastauer, but basing the sponsor's corporate design on only one rider (who isn't even particularly prominent) is taking it too far. ;)

This, however, looks nothing short of spectacular! :cool
    Drop Lavenu a mail. Now.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    But the brown is the best part of that kit, brown is a lovely colour imo.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    This was a purely theoretical exercise, folks.

So it's perfectly OK to like the brown and in no way would I suggest that #ag2r should go against their sponsor's corporate identity. That would be way more grievous than the tone I'll now call "Mondory Brown".

The idea was just to set down some general principles and then attempt to demonstrate that colour theory is very important when designing jerseys and that even a small change can make a big difference.

In future episodes, if I can be bothered, I'll demonstrate some more core design principles.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    Here's something that doesn't work... The fluo green of the Cannondale jersey with the fluo green of the Cannondale helmet.

Pick a shade, boys! :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    Agreed... nothing worse than non matching fluro.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

Recent Posts

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by t-72
    [Today at 12:44]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 01:34]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:23]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:07]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Leadbelly
    [August 17, 2019, 19:02]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Leadbelly