Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3364
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Re: Doping in Asia
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2015, 21:51 »
Let's talk about Iranian cycling

Mount Fuji stage of the Tour of Japan, top five finishers all Iranian. First non-Iranian finish best part of two minutes back. Big gaps among the Iranians but if you disregard them the gaps are much closer to what you might expect in an 11km stage.

This really fails the smell test for me.

Didnt we have this last year? Or was that Tabriz or someone.
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 740
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #91 on: May 22, 2015, 23:12 »
    Kazakhstan, Iran, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, South Africa ... virtually every of those 'exotic' cycling scenes has its doping cases. :barf

The Iranians are just much more in our face, because they actually get to compete in races that have the world watching.[1]

Unrelated pet-peeve: When will people finally start to spell 'Kazakh' correctly? ;)
     1. sort of, with half an eye, and only very fleetingly, but still watching
    Flip it, you guys are telling me there is doping in cycling?

:angry
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6042
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1737
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #93 on: May 24, 2015, 17:38 »
    Be careful what you wish for? :slow

That is assuming that @cyclingiran is acting as an enabler, I am not at all sure that is true, they might see what happens in Iran and wish they could change it, but maybe they lack resources. I assume clean Iranian teams exist too. It is no wonder that some of these places seem like the wild west. Take Colombia as an example, surely spending money on eradicating PED's in cycling seems stupid in relation to the amount of other problems there. The truth probably is that the testing to stop doping here must come from outsiders, and will probably have to be funded by USA and Europe mainly. In return USA and Europe will say, well sure, but why not let the states do the tests themselves, and we are back at the start again.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1737
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #95 on: May 24, 2015, 19:37 »
    And with that, you have perfectly paraphrased the ensuing convo between them and @bikejourno! :D

Oh my, I am a cycling genius, or smarter than the UCI anyhow, not sure that makes me a genius though.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #96 on: May 24, 2015, 22:02 »
    Oh my, I am a cycling genius, or smarter than the UCI anyhow, not sure that makes me a genius though.  :)
    It makes you not a moron. :P
    That's a good start. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 948
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #98 on: May 25, 2015, 13:56 »
    With all due respect, bikejourno speaks wonderfully for a utopian world, not one where Contador leads the second biggest race of the season with Astana peeing over the race.

Sure, there's a big cycling scene in Iran, they live in the mountains, they're training more professionally now than, say, 10 years ago. But come on.
    Ten years ago, it was Mizbani who was best.

BTW, isn't twitter still blocked in Iran?
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1467
    « Reply #99 on: May 25, 2015, 15:09 »
    Kazakhstan, Iran, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, South Africa ... virtually every of those 'exotic' cycling scenes has its doping cases. :barf

The big pain in the butt here is Brazil, because it is by far the largest country on the list. By population it is 45% Brazilians (and Iran comes second at 17%).  Add the fact that the next Olympic games will  be hosted in Rio de Janeiro, and that endurance sports aren't really big in Brazil - everything is dwarfed by the team sports futebol, volei and basquete - although athletics and swimming does have a small following. The potential for growth of cycling in Brazil is not large, it is gigantic.

However it was a bit sad to see that a race like tour do Rio dominated by Europeans with a shady past racing for continental teams with a shady present. That isn't how you can grow enthusiasm for the sport in the general public. Better ground work is required. Cheap equipment, cycling clubs with trainers that get at least a minimum of education, and races for young cyclists to attend in their city is actually more important, but if the UCI can't bring decent antidoping to countries outside Europe because the races are not World Tour and the teams are not WT-teams, the World Tour must come to these other continents as well! A regimen where a wildcard invitation to a World Tour event could be the carrot and a stricter control at the event the stick and the presence of international "stars" would boost the attention in the media. Brazilians love celebrities...

Did it work in China? Nope! Can it work in other places? Maybe!

EDIT: I am really having an off day today...to get back on topic:
    I don't know Iran but with such a strong national cycling scene perhaps it is about time the WT visits there as well.

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9244
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #100 on: May 15, 2016, 19:49 »
    really interesting article about Peter Pouly's disqualification for using a 6.1kg bike in the Tour de Banyuwangi Ijen (via pastro on twitter)

https://cyclingiq.com/2016/05/15/even-after-poulys-tour-de-banyuwangi-ijen-disqualification-doubts-linger/
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9244
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #102 on: February 13, 2017, 12:48 »
    Quelle surprise.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts