collapse

42x16ss

• Domestique
  • Liked: 380
  • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
How do you prefer to peak?
« on: February 20, 2012, 23:56 »
Just thought I'd ask around about what peoples preferred race preparation is. Me, I find that I do best by starting out doing big base km's then 2-3 weeks out gradually replacing a lot of those km's with speed intervals on the rollers to get the top end going. I also throw in the occasional club crit to keep the bike handling sharp.

What works best for you guys?
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 163
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    Re: How do you prefer to peak?
    « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:33 »
    I'm similar although I dont do that many base kms anymore - life has pretty much got in the way (and thats why I am big fat and slow these days) I do stepped interval training coming up towards the start of the season but if I am peaking for a specific event then I do 2 to 3 consecute days of really hard intervals about 10 days before the big day.  After that I roll a lot but do less intensity and just keep the legs turning over.  On race day, the form hits.
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 20:09 »
    It would be simple to have one :D, but when someone wants 6 peaks I am asking for luck, available car, kids are not sick or something related, I am not sick, having money to take a trip, race cancelled, flat tire just before race and it is sunday,  and all sort of stuff that amateurs around the world are facing but no one is writing about that in books.
    What generally works for me is low intensity till april, cos due weather, lot of runing and swimming.

So my peak should be in June, generally speaking for all kind of races:

Mon: Endurance about 70%, cos race in Sunday
    Tue: Short Hard workout
    Wed: Short Really Hard workout
    Thu: Rest
    Fri: Easy endurance
    Sat: Easy endurance with some short accelerations
    Sun: Race

But this is really hard lets face it, we are not pros and I am happy to be rest for race anykind.
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 20:23 »
    It would be simple to have one :D, but when someone wants 6 peaks I am asking for luck, available car, kids are not sick or something related, I am not sick, having money to take a trip, race cancelled, flat tire just before race and it is sunday,  and all sort of stuff that amateurs around the world are facing but no one is writing about that in books.
    What generally works for me is low intensity till april, cos due weather, lot of runing and swimming.

So my peak should be in June, generally speaking for all kind of races:

Mon: Endurance about 70%, cos race in Sunday
    Tue: Short Hard workout
    Wed: Short Really Hard workout
    Thu: Rest
    Fri: Easy endurance
    Sat: Easy endurance with some short accelerations
    Sun: Race

But this is really hard lets face it, we are not pros and I am happy to be rest for race anykind.
    Are you going to the masters in slovenia?
  • ReplyReply

• Straydog

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 20:55 »
    Normally I would have said I'd agree with the OP. But this year I have tried something completely different.

Essentially I was getting fed up, at my age, of really only peaking properly once in a season, if I was lucky. So this past winter I have been following a plan by a Danish coach and Doctor (don't snigger) who someone recommended to me.

So essentially, rather than base miles first, there is a two week super intense Vo2 targeted block. Then comes some base and tempo miles, races etc, then the cycle starts again. It is essentially based around super compensation, with obviously recovery weeks thrown in. I've got to say I have been blown away by it. It was very weird at first to be red lining on a turbo in November, and to start with I felt I had blown it and was just going to peak for the cross season, which isn't my goal at all. But, so far, touch wood, I seem to have already experienced two minor peaks. I'm not a youngster any more, and it does take a toll occasionally with being run down some weeks, I've picked up a few more colds etc, but I feel really reinvigorated and can't wait for the road season to start. I'll let you know how it goes....or whether I come crashing down to earth.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 21:16 »
    Are you going to the masters in slovenia?
    Who knows mate, that would be mine 8th peak, I am going to masters here I hope. First ITT and for two days road race, so who the hell can peak for anything.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 163
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 23:26 »
    Last year I took an approach based on Carmichael's Time crunched cyclist.  I FLEW in the first 6 weeks of this training from a standing start and went from being dropped to sprinting for placings but by week 8 I was starting to fall apart; Mouth ulcers, fatigue 24/7, getting slower, pain in legs on stairs, the whole bit.  In the end I had to get off the bike for a solid 8 weeks and start my whole season again from scratch.   I think if I did it again but did each training interval at about 80-90% of recommendations then it would work for me.  Less than 8hours on the bike a week and you develope quickly - but either way you then need about 8 weeks of easy endurance to calm down before starting the programme again.  Not really a good idea in my view...
  • ReplyReply

• J. Mascis

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:09 »
    I decrease my weekly hours from three down to two.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [November 17, 2019, 07:59]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2019, 00:36]

Re: Men's Kits 2020 by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2019, 00:31]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2019, 19:29]

Re: Men's Kits 2020 by LukasCPH