collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3364
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Sports, Sponsors, Ethics and Religion
« on: July 17, 2013, 22:43 »
Interesting one going on in Britain at the moment with Papee Cisse refusing to wear the logo of Newcastle Uniteds new Sponsors, Wonga, a high interest UK pay day loans company.

He is refusing on religious grounds. As a Moslim, Sharia Law has rules governing borrowing and lending, and under some interpretations charging of interest is not allowed.

Its complicated by some other players wearing the kit without complain, notably Ben Arfur and new signing Olivier Kemen have agreed to wear theres.

Cisse is holding firm, offering to wear the sponsor of a charity instead.

its an interesting debate, not so long ago Freddy Kanoute was allowed to wear an unbranded kit for Sevilla (Sponsors 888.com).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2357557/Newcastle-avoid-sponsor-row-Muslim-Magpies-agree-wear-new-Wonga-shirts.html

It does raise questions over sponsors in team sports. In everyday life many of us have certain brands we avoid for either moral or ethical reasons. I would never buy or wear Nike for a multitude of ethical reasons along with several other brands. There are certain banks I would not use because of their record of investment in areas I do not agree with. I do not drink, nor will ever drink Coca-Cola for many reasons not least the battles with the unions in South America.

As an individual athlete I would have the ability to pick and choose my sponsors. There was  a Liverpool born darts player who on reaching a major television tournament was offered a large amount of money by the Sun Newspaper to wear their logo in the final, he turned them down because of their coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

But as a member of a team, you are largely at the whim of the team with which sponsors they agree terms with, kit manufacturers. Will we see a time when footballers with religious or ethical issues build into their contracts companies they will not support.?
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    Re: Sports, Sponsors, Ethics and Religion
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 22:46 »
    In a related note, Bolton Wanderers were all set to sign a sponsorship deal with "Quick Quid" a similar lending company. They pulled out after fan protests instead signing a lower value deal with a local company.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/05/bolton-wanderers-quickquid-sponsorship
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 23:01 »
    But as a member of a team, you are largely at the whim of the team with which sponsors they agree terms with, kit manufacturers. Will we see a time when footballers with religious or ethical issues build into their contracts companies they will not support?
    And I would think even further complicated if a team sponsor changes. Would a potential new sponsor have be reassured that all players were on board, so to speak?

A thorny issue, indeed.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 23:10 »
    It is, but if for instance I played for a club sponsored by, I dont know, St Ivel yoghurts, and then they signed a deal to be sponsored by the Sun. I would not be prepared to wear that logo.

Does raise interesting questions.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9138
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 23:17 »
    I think it's in the contracts that you have to wear it - if you don't want to sign a contract like that you'd propably have to deal with a reduced salery due to less sponsorship value of the club itself
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 934
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 15:58 »
    None too major, happens all the time.

Fawad Ahmed

Hashim Amla

No Castle logo on left arm.

Parnell.

Same money? No. But are Newcastle :censoreds? Yeah, next.
  • ReplyReply

•