collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3360
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Word Filter
« on: January 23, 2012, 20:14 »
Obviously as a forum with open registration there needs to be some form of word filter. The forum software works by replacing the word with either another word or a bunch of stars etc.

At the moment very few words are on it, the obvious ones, F, C, and a couple of others along with SH

This will be an ongoing process, words will gradually be added as they are used by the members should they be deemed offensive. (you can help by relaying used words to the moderation team). In the end users should have the common sense to know what is acceptable and what isnt.

We will try to use a certain amount of humour and restraint with the word filter but obviously on an open forum it is required
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 22:26 by Admin »

Jamsque

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 861
    Re: Word Filter
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 20:43 »
    Boooooooooooo
  • ReplyReply

• bicycle-ho

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 22:20 »
    agree with Jamsque, word moderation here is a disappointment.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 22:24 »
    agree with Jamsque, word moderation here is a disappointment.

its only currently on the very worst words. F, C and SH. Theres no real reason for any more to be added unless of course there are some really bad words I dont know about.

There certainly wont be moderation of the idiotic words. For instance there is no reason why pakistan should be censored. If a user was using a section of that word to offend someone it would be dealt with by moderation. Not by a word filter.

At present there are six words on the filter. That should be enough.
  • ReplyReply

• The Poster Formerly Known As Moondance

• Dutch Mafia
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 20
    « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 22:50 »
    I personally don't feel that word filtering is necessary, yet. This forum is still small, and vigilant moderating can ensure that naughty words are used exclusively in a general sense, and not directed at a particular forum member.

As this forum grows, amd the volume of posts increases it might become necessary, but we haven't reached that point yet. And until we do free speech should trump censorship.
  • ReplyReply
  • "The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead." - John Maynard Keynes, A Tract on Monetary Reform

Jamsque

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 23:34 »
    Dirty words are fun.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 23:43 »
    as I say, at the moment the filter has just six words and they are the most serious. The moderation team can decide on that one.

Also bear in mind that at the moment the forum is open to guests (who can post temporarily) and there are no resrtictions on new members. Once the forum is closed to guests, and the new members have to go through a five post approval system, then the filter can be relaxed.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 23:46 by Admin »

Arb

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 572
    « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:35 »
    Pakistan
  • ReplyReply

• Dr. Maserati

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 01:38 »
    Dick Pound.

Woohoo  -it works
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 01:41 »
    Yes, after careful consideration and knowing peoples love of Dick Van Dyke we decided to let that one pass. ;)

However, you cant say fornicate, fornicateing, female anatomy, lonely person or balls

I am looking to see if there is a mod that allows the swear filter to be turned off by user. If there is, then there would be a much much bigger blocked list but the option for adults to override it.
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 106
    « Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:45 »
    Is there a person in the world who is insulted by the word sh*t? I appreciate that some form of filter ought to be in place, but it's funny to see that one on the list. To me it's not about the word, it's how the word is used. Example, Vino falls and breaks his hip and I post "What sh*t luck." No problem there IMO. But I reply to a post I disagree with by insulting the user, "I'm tired of reading your sh*t, you're a dumb sh*t." Unacceptable and I'd expect to see that post deleted and hear from a Supreme Being. Not so much because of the word but because I used it to insult someone.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

thirteen

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 13:43 »
    Is there a person in the world who is insulted by the word sh*t? I appreciate that some form of filter ought to be in place, but it's funny to see that one on the list. To me it's not about the word, it's how the word is used. Example, Vino falls and breaks his hip and I post "What sh*t luck." No problem there IMO. But I reply to a post I disagree with by insulting the user, "I'm tired of reading your sh*t, you're a dumb sh*t." Unacceptable and I'd expect to see that post deleted and hear from a Supreme Being. Not so much because of the word but because I used it to insult someone.
    i agree 100% with this and really don't understand why it's on the list... we're all adults here, non?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11460
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 13:53 »
    Dirty words are fun.

But maybe Dick Pound can be written now instead of Penis Pound

PS allow Sh!t imo

ps High folks here to annoy
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

doolols

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 33
    « Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 13:57 »
    Do you allow shoot, but not shoote?

Ah, I see - you don't allow sh!t. Fair enough.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 14:27 »
    noted and changed.

Just as an aside, there has to be a basic word censor to keep on the right side of google adsense. (small print)
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 14:33 »
    noted and changed.

Just as an aside, there has to be a basic word censor to keep on the right side of google adsense. (small print)

Ok, that answers what would have been my next question. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

Recent Topics