collapse

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 4451
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
Re: Racing days per season
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 10:46 »
No sound at work though. I'll have to wait until I get home for it to be revealed.

Oooh exciting :D :D
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 22:14 »
    aha, similar to Kruijswijk.

I can't pronounce that either  :slow
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1650
    « Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 09:56 »
    Overview 2013 - 2014 considering the season isn't over for some.

Contador: 66 days – 65 days
    Nibali: 83 days – 70 days
    Evans: 70 days – 87 days !!!
    Mollema: 81 days – 67 days
    Rodriguez: 84 days – 78 days
    Chavanel: 81 days [+ at least one cyclocross in winter] – 84 days
    Cancellara: 74 days – 80 days
    Betancur: 73 days – 58 days  :lol
    Uran: 73 days – 78 days
    Serpa: 73 days – 90 days
    Duarte: 63 days – 56 days
    Atapuma: 68 days – 41 days
    Quintana: 64 days – 60 days
    Gilbert: 97 days – 85 days [+ Gullegem Koerse, both years]
    Van Avermaet: 82 days [+ Gullegem Koerse] – 90 days
    Vanmarcke: 72 days – 81 days
    Keukeleire: 70 days [+ Gullegem Koerse] – 88 days
    Boonen: 41 days (injured) – 77 days
    D. Martin: 76 days – 60 days
    Terpstra: 86 days – 90 days [+6 both years if you had the Rotterdam 6  :P, + the Gullegem Koerse in 2014 and plans to race the Amsterdam 6 - thanks Fus -, which would mean a total 103 days!!]
    Dumoulin: 78 days – 84 days
    Kristoff: 74 days – 82 days
    Gerrans: 71 days – 58 days !!!
    Costa: 69 days – 70 days
    Kwiatkowski: 58 days – 71 days
    Degenkolb: 80 days - 88 days
    Sagan P: 85 days - 87 days

Wonder how Mollema's count took such a plunge. Was he injured?
    Nibali  :ohu Being a Bore winner never makes any good. When you think he may not even race the "Giro di Lombardia"  :S
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:06 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 11:15 »
    Updated after Peking & Putte-Kappelen. So there's still the Chrono des Herbiers/Nations, officially on the road, right?

+ the A'dam Six for Terpstra and some cyclocross for other riders, propably.

When I see those stats, I guess I've got to jump on the Gerrans hate bandwagon.

2007: 75 days (that's okay)
    2008: 84 days (pretty good)
    2009: 69 days (1st year for a non-French team)
    2010: 56 days
    2011: 70 days
    2012: 60 days
    2013: 71 days
    2014: 58 days

:-x
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12835
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 20:01 »
    in his recent column in CycleSport Jeremy Roy said that he was 180 days away from home for 90 race days last year. Adam Hansen in contrast to that mentioned a while ago that he does all three grand tours a year to be able to have longer breaks at home in between. So with approximately the same amount of race days (or even more), Hansen might just be ~3/4 of the time away from home Roy is. I think it's interesting, to take that into consideration as well
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #35 on: March 20, 2015, 20:23 »
    Good point.

If you do a GT, you'll be away from home for ~25-27 days for 21 race days: 23 days in the race itself (2 rest days), team presentation the day before, arriving a few days early, going back home the Monday after the race.

A short stage race of 4 race days (taking Sibiu last year as example) will mean 6 days away from home, possibly even more if it's hard to reach (multiple plane transfers). Multiply that by 5, and you're at 30 days for 20 race days already.

One-day races are even more extreme: Foreign teams often set up camp in Belgium for weeks during the Classics season.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #36 on: November 07, 2016, 20:21 »
    Interesting article in Last Saturday's Sportwereld (Het Nieuwsblad) comparing Greg Avermaet's 84 race days a year (on an average, he actually raced 82 of them this year in official races, + at least one Kermess, the famous Gullegem Koerse) to David Goffin's 73 tennis matches a year, plus the calendars other Belgian sportstars.

Nothing is More Backbreaking Than Tennis

Why is Goffin on his knee?

David Goffin competed in 73 matches this year, less than cyclist Greg Van Avermaet and golfer Thomas Pieters but more than football player Eden Hazard and long-distance runner Pieter-Jan Hannes (who's been injured).

Paul Van den Bosch is a famous physical trainer here in Belgium, especially famous for his fruitful partnership with Sven Nys. He's now coaching Lars Van der Haar and Tim Wellens (I think). He says:

I understand that with Goffin, it's all over now and with Van Avermaet a little bit less

His coach Thierry Van Cleemput claims that he's completely exhausted. He no longer can do it. Sport doctor Chris Goossens claims:

In terms of body load football is five times heavier but nothing is more shattering than top tennis. A guy like Goffin also goes very far in tournaments which means that he does more matches in a short period but also that he is facing ever tougher opponents. You also have that in the Champion's League. The best teams are remaining. The intensity of the matches is in keeping.

There are also killing trips in tennis. Goffin played in 15 different countries on 4 continents.
    That is almost being fixed to a seat with jetlags.

What is more interesting for us is the further comment by Paul Van den Bosch:

Goffin constantly has to grab points for his ranking. If he doesn't do that he risks being forced to qualify for tournaments in the long run and to play even more matches. He plays every match like it was a final. Not like a cyclist who sometimes may race in order to gain some competitive rhythm. I understand that with Goffin, it's all over now and with Van Avermaet for instance a little bit less. Not just because the mental load is bigger but the body suffers more as well in what I call the run sports such as football, tennis or basketball.

Pretty much surprised by these comments.

Finally, a comment about Hannes by Van den Bosch:

First there are much less races for him. Besides he practices a very measured sport. In cycling a rider can still wonder whether he was good or not even if he won. For Hannes the chrono speaks. If he is satisfied with 4' on a 1,500m than he can be #1 every 3 days. But an athlete doesn't race like that. He has to be top at any time for a certain time and place. A bad time means a bad race. Such things systematically demand complete preparations while a cyclist or a tennis player hardly needs to train once the season is at its peak. And then we are not talking about marathon runners or triathletes who need months to recover after a race.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts