collapse

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 720
  • Getting ready for the Artic Race of Norway...
    • Fendrien
Rugby League
« on: February 27, 2012, 14:01 »
As there is a thread for football/soccer on here I wondered if anyone else was a big fan of 'footy' or rugby league?

I came into it fairly late (as someone from Southern England) but absolutely love it and can't get enough of Superleague and via cable, the NRL.

So who's your team?
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1081
    Re: Rugby League
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 14:33 »
    Gone off it to be honest. Too many changes broke my affinity with the past on both sides of the world. Used to follow Leeds in England and my favourite Aussie team was, naturally enough for an Englishman, St George.

State of Origin is without question one of the World's great sporting events though.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:52 »
    Gone off it to be honest. Too many changes broke my affinity with the past on both sides of the world. Used to follow Leeds in England and my favourite Aussie team was, naturally enough for an Englishman, St George.

State of Origin is without question one of the World's great sporting events though.

Not a massive fan, but living in Sydney it is impossible to ignore it so watch the occasional live game each year and will often catch a weekend game on TV.

Favorite team is the Roosters, but keep an eye on the Bunnies as well. When i moved to Sydney thought i should start supporting the "Sydney" team so picked the Sydney Roosters. Then found out a while later that most of the teams are in Sydney so could have picked any.

Even for non fans state of origin is massive (and fairly painful if you live in NSW)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:44 »

My father took my brother and I to Headingley a lot when we were kids. He was a semi-pro himself before injuries threatened his day job. We used to sit on the front wall dividing the stand from the pitch, which was scary because if you leaned backwards too far it was a long fall and you would probably have landed on your head.  ;D

I remember best of all the smell of embrocation mixed with cigarette smoke and the same old duffers who stood in the same place week in, week out. One of them was an oldish woman who during the course of the first half transformed from pleasant, neighbourly pillar of the community into a foul-mouthed, partisan referee-hater. Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

The players were professional but they earned peanuts, much like cyclists at that time. All but one or two of the most successful (Offiah, Hanley, Schofield...) seemed to transition from playing to starting up in the building trade. A few of them died young.

I don't know whether I broke my father's heart by getting into cycling instead of the RL but he never said so. We lived in a rural area and it was much easier to ride a bicycle than it was to attend faraway training and matches.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:01 »
    I don't know whether I broke my father's heart by getting into cycling instead of the RL but he never said so.

We may have the opposite problem. My son has just started Rugby league at school and is loving it. He is pretty small for his age but just loves contact sports (he used to do full contact karate at 6).

I have a feeling he is going to break his poor mothers heart.

At least if he is any good he is in the right place, his desk mate in class is Brad Fittlers daughter
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:21 »
    We may have the opposite problem. My son has just started Rugby league at school and is loving it. He is pretty small for his age but just loves contact sports (he used to do full contact karate at 6).

I have a feeling he is going to break his poor mothers heart.

At least if he is any good he is in the right place, his desk mate in class is Brad Fittlers daughter

Well, you're doing the right thing, I suppose: supporting whatever he's into. I had to look up Brad Fittler, but I get it now. :) Boots and kit are probably cheaper than bikes and kit anyway, right? Those toe caps were pretty mean!

The thing that was great about League was that, unlike Union, it wasn't all just stop-start, stop-start. I went to a boys' school which, being the way it was and the sort of kids that went there, was all Union. I got picked for the team but I didn't go to training deliberately and quickly got dropped. It would have interfered with my Saturday rides. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 09:31 »
    Well, you're doing the right thing, I suppose: supporting whatever he's into. I had to look up Brad Fittler, but I get it now. :) Boots and kit are probably cheaper than bikes and kit anyway, right? Those toe caps were pretty mean!

The thing that was great about League was that, unlike Union, it wasn't all just stop-start, stop-start. I went to a boys' school which, being the way it was and the sort of kids that went there, was all Union. I got picked for the team but I didn't go to training deliberately and quickly got dropped. It would have interfered with my Saturday rides. ;)

I remember having to negotiate my way out of team sports in later years at school so i could use wednesday afternoons for an extra ride. would love for him to love cycling but know if i am too keen will undoubtedly put him off so just taking it easier and giving him the occasional nudge.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:46 »
    Absolutely the worst code of football out there.

I was interested for a time, then I tried following it a bit more but it just appears about as asinine as the blokes who are playing it. Even with Gridiron you can see the tactical element, Union has a lot more to the game. League is just pass, tackle x4 then kick...and hope someone doesn't tackle.

It's just my opinion of course but I can't get my head around "watching" it anymore. And this is coming from a sports fan that can watch Golf for hours. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 17:38 »
    Harsh, come to a match and I will explain the technical nuances to you.

You can then explain Rugby Union to me as I have tried watching it and you don't see the ball for most of the game.
  • ReplyReply

• thrawn

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 5
    « Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:56 »
    I like all the football codes, but as a Western Sydney boy league is my favourite.

Dave - not sure how you can support the Roosters and like the Bunnies. Those clubs hate each other :)
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:15 »
    I like all the football codes, but as a Western Sydney boy league is my favourite.

Dave - not sure how you can support the Roosters and like the Bunnies. Those clubs hate each other :)

its easy when you have no knowledge of the history of the sport  :D
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 08:52 »
    Its been a pretty good season fro my mob in the RL so far  :tu

I am still trying to get interested in rugby union but just cannot understand the rules!!!

Anyone able to help? shall we start a RU thread?
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 09:31 »
    Its been a pretty good season fro my mob in the RL so far  :tu

I am still trying to get interested in rugby union but just cannot understand the rules!!!

Anyone able to help? shall we start a RU thread?

not enough fans for a thread it seems. falls under other sports.

I am slightly out of date with some rules in union but if you have questions feel free to ask..
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 09:52 »
    First question is why can't i see the ball for a lot of the game  :-\
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 10:16 »
    Because unlike some other sports is it not purely designed for TV and crowds that cannot understand subtle plays  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    « Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 10:55 »
    Rugby Union is designed to be a kicking contest to see who has got the best goal kicker or a comp to see what ref can blow the most penalties in a match.

I am a Bulldogs fan , not expecting much this year but we beat those pretty boy dragons so that is good enough for me. I actually hope the storm win it this year to stick it up the haters, would also like to see the Sharkies keep doing well.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 934
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 11:02 »
    Oi, Union's noice, then again, I'm not a super fan. Not much of a league fan, as it's just harder to follow.

The time that the ball spends in rucks or mauls is a reason for the ball disappearing.

I like Union, not got any particular team, Leeds are dog sh**e and impossible to follow. Super 15s mainly now, no preferences really, just don't like the Waratahs ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04 »
    I use to enjoy rugby but it is now way too over officiated and the amount of time wasted on Penalty kicks and scrums has ruined it for me, Whatever happened to the running game.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 11:06 »
    Aye, that's true, just an unfortunate case of the sport becoming too professional maybe. That said, if there's a  combination of players like Sonny Bill (not the sheep) Williams and Kaino to go apesh*t, it can be a treat to watch.
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 11:12 »
    I follow the League team SBW walked out on , He is a money grabbing grub who I hope never returns to league.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 11:14 »
    Which is why I used him as an example :P
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17 »
    I use to enjoy rugby but it is now way too over officiated and the amount of time wasted on Penalty kicks and scrums has ruined it for me, Whatever happened to the running game.

Ironically it was attempts to encourage running that seem to have ruined it slightly. I blame the saffers
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 11:21 »
    If they would just drop the amount of points for a field goal or a penalty goal surely it would help , Taking penalty shots from in your own half should be banned it's ridiculous.

• ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 11:23 »
    Over here, do you mean punting or goal kicking? Making punting illegal will promote dodgy tactics. As for goal kicking, unless there's a strong tail wind, it's unlikely to go that far.
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 11:24 »
    Goal Kicking
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 12:15 »
    Long (but good) article about Union from after the World Cup.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/10/rugby-world-cup-ref-debate.html
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 13:54 »
    Warrington lost more than just the Grand final to Leeds. Prop Paul Wood lost a testicle and played the whole match. The rusticle was put to rest on Sunday morning. More importantly, will he get a wood now?

Chris Flannery of the Sydney cocks Roosters lost his bollock in 2004 during a match and still played on.

Rugger league may be a manly sport, but it's not for the manhood.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 15:28 »
    Long (but good) article about Union from after the World Cup.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/10/rugby-world-cup-ref-debate.html

Get it out of this thread  >:( >:( >:(

:)
  • ReplyReply

•