collapse

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2950
  • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
Aldi/Lidl bargains
« on: August 14, 2013, 18:42 »
UK readers will be aware of these budget supermarkets which have a section in the middle that carries heavily discounted items: sometimes v low quality, but occasionally real gems.   I also follow some ornithology forums, and there has been occasional great excitement over binoculars with really high quality lenses appearing in the weekly special offers at these shops.

Might be worth keeping a thread for such bargains.  I bought just last week a wireless computer from Amazon for £15.99. thinking this was a bargain (http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rsp-20-function-wire-free-cycling-computer-p137095?utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Retargeting&utm_campaign=Criteo  it is advertised as a discount at £31.49 at a high street outdoor store), only to see exactly the same item at Aldi today, rebadged as Bikemate for just £7.99.

• ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    Re: Aldi/Lidl bargains
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 21:22 »
    UK readers will be aware of these budget supermarkets which have a section in the middle that carries heavily discounted items: sometimes v low quality, but occasionally real gems.   I also follow some ornithology forums, and there has been occasional great excitement over binoculars with really high quality lenses appearing in the weekly special offers at these shops.

Might be worth keeping a thread for such bargains.  I bought just last week a wireless computer from Amazon for £15.99. thinking this was a bargain (http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rsp-20-function-wire-free-cycling-computer-p137095?utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Retargeting&utm_campaign=Criteo  it is advertised as a discount at £31.49 at a high street outdoor store), only to see exactly the same item at Aldi today, rebadged as Bikemate for just £7.99.
    Oh no onyl UK readers, Lidl here selling crap also, I say flip back to Germany :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 14:34 »
    Aldi sale is coming soon.

• ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 16:50 »
    Crazyskates, i've never set foot in an Aldi. We have them here in Belgium too, usually located on a town's shamebelt along with the discount kitchens and Chinese shoemongers.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 17:28 »
    Must admit that I've never been tempted by Aldi/Lidl cycling gear. I once bought a pair of gloves that I destroyed after 50k. I've come to realise that compared to many/most on this forum I ride quite a lot of miles and with that in mind I'm prepared to pay more for gear that is more comfortable and durable.  I guess if you are somebody for whom a 6 mile lap of Richmond Park is a big deal then this stuff is adequate.

It may sound like bike snobbery, but it isn't. I'd love to pay less for kit, but I've found that whilst top price kit gives poor value for money, so does bottom end stuff.

I do food shop in Lidl most weeks, though. Their smoked salmon, premium beer, Greek yogurt is great  :D. Aldi had a special on fine Dominican rum last Christmas. Hoping for the same this year
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

Deping

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 18:21 »
    We have an Aldi and Lidl next to each other in our town. I would say Aldi is the best of the 2.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 18:27 »
    I did go to Aldi once, i thought i never had but i remember. Digital microscope for £30, plugs into computer. Bargainous.
    (bought for examining hedgehog poo for worms and infection)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 18:30 »
    Must admit that I've never been tempted by Aldi/Lidl cycling gear. I once bought a pair of gloves that I destroyed after 50k. I've come to realise that compared to many/most on this forum I ride quite a lot of miles and with that in mind I'm prepared to pay more for gear that is more comfortable and durable.  I guess if you are somebody for whom a 6 mile lap of Richmond Park is a big deal then this stuff is adequate.

My bargain winter gloves have now done me four winters, and still as good as new.

£15 and still going strong.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 19:21 »
    Both of these stores are legend imo, Aldi is the place where you only buy candy, anything that expires quickly I would never get there, I remember seeing the section for stuff soon to expire in Aldi and it was filled up with moldy vegetables, and other potentially dangerous products. I think that Aldi has got a new store manager now though as it has improved drastically, it used to be bad for Aldi now it is by far the best Aldi I know. Lidl is the place to buy cheap alcohol, and crisps that taste like dog crackers ofc. But all the alcohol in Lidl have funny fake names, if in a normal store you buy Jonnie Walker and Lidl you can likely get Donny Runner or something. Also the company that makes their dog cracker tortilla chips also make something named Mexican Drink which is a .60£ mixer that tastes of cactus and is so overpowering you can probably shove 25% in it with it still tasting not that spiked, impressive of them knowing their segment of teenagers wanting to get drunk without tasting alcohol so well  :lol

Also Lidl is ofc also legend for a whole other reason:

ofc store front wise neither will ever compare with

When you are 'Xtreme Low Budget' with a X and you are having a sale with 50% of on all items, it is safe to assume you are cheap.

• ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 700
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 23:50 »
    I did go to Aldi once, i thought i never had but i remember. Digital microscope for £30, plugs into computer. Bargainous.
    (bought for examining hedgehog poo for worms and infection)

gheezus :o
  • ReplyReply

•