collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10431
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
General news - mountain Bikes
« on: March 06, 2012, 16:08 »
CA handled Chris Jongewaard  selected wrongly 2008 Olympics

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/olympics-2012/ca-wrong-on-jailed-rider-20120306-1ui9x.html
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 14:40 by just some guy »
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Re: General news - mountain Bikes
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 14:41 »

after top 10ing the TDF he will switch to MTB for the Olympics

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peraud-named-in-french-mtb-team-for-london-2012-olympics
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:46 »
    Downhill results Val di Sole, round 2
    Summary of Results – Men
    Name Country Team Time
    Aaron Gwin USA Trek World Racing 0:03:10.577
    Greg Minnaar RSA Santa Cruz Syndicate 0:00:07.850
    Gee Atherton GBR GT Factory Racing 0:00:08.393
    Marc Beaumont GBR GT Factory Racing 0:00:08.937
    Cameron Cole NZL Lapierre International 0:00:09.743

Seven seconds :o The video will be a treat to watch.
    Overall Standings:
    Name Country Team Points
    Aaron Gwin USA Trek World Racing 450 pts
    Greg Minnaar RSA Santa Cruz Syndicate 450
    Gee Atherton GBR GT Factory Racing 315
    Marc Beaumont GBR GT Factory Racing 228
    Steve Smith CAN Devinci Global Racing 215

Greg Minaar's reaction
    “Practice started off poor. I just couldn’t find rhythm or anything on track. I really struggled to get my bike set up. Ratty (Bryceland) and Steve pulled me in on the second day of training and I realised I was just trying to ride too fast. My qualifier result was great.

“I found myself fumbling in the run missing lines and was too much on the brakes. On Saturday I was surprised by the arrival of ‘Dry Turtle’ and ‘B-Rad’ (Greg’s friends from South Africa, Lyle and Brad). It’s always great having friends come out and support me.  Sunday my aim was to stay on the bike, stay smooth and keep it real, which I managed to do.

“A big hat’s off to Gwinny, that was some of the most amazing riding I’ve seen!  It was great having the Fox family flood the podium!!”

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 01:28 »
    Burry Stander wins the cross country in Windham.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 04:06 »
    Aaron Gwin wins the downhill ahead of Steve Smith and Gee Atherton. Danny Hart came in 4th spot and Minaar a disappointing ninth.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475
    « Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 21:14 »
    Where the flip is Tony the jew?....he is a bad reporter.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 17:47 »
    Eliminator world champion Ralph Näf and cross country world championship silver medallist Lukas Flückiger are joining Julien Absalon on the BMC Mountain Bike Racing Team for 2013.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lukas-fluckiger-and-ralph-naf-join-absalon-at-bmc
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    « Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 17:26 »
    "@bikepurersa: Sad day for South African cycling as former U23 World MTB Champ and defending ABSA Cape Epic champ, Burry Stander passed away"

Hit & run accident :-( what f*cken sh*t news

http://m.news24.com/sport24/OtherSport/Cycling/SA-cyclist-Burry-Stander-dies-20130103

http://ewn.mobi/news/Local/mountain-biker-burry-stander-dies/19934
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    « Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 18:17 »
    "@bikejourno: That's gonna be a sad @AbsaCapeEpic and some sad UCI World championships this year after the tragedy with Burry Stander. My condolences"
  • ReplyReply

• Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 196
    Sagan supporter.

Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    « Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 15:34 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/a-steamy-us-cross-country-nationals-starts-thursday-in-pennsylvania

I've been looking fwd to this, unfortunately I can only attend STXC.
  • ReplyReply

• Blackbandit222

• National Champion

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5656
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 12:13 »
    Former road pro Frantisek Rabon has made his debut on the MTB scene:

He came fourth in the Attakwas Extreme MTB marathon, beaten only by Urs Huber, Christoph Sauser and Karl Platt.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2588
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 20:59 »
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475
    « Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 18:33 »
    First world cup win for Ferrand Prevot  :drool:
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    RIP
    « Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 15:20 »

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) is extremely sad to announce the loss of Dutch mountain bike rider Annefleur Kalvenhaar.

The 20-year-old Focus XC Team rider fell on August 22, 2014, at the cross-country Eliminator qualifying rounds of the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup in Méribel, France. She was transferred to the intensive care unit at the Grenoble CHU, but despite all efforts died this morning.

UCI President Brian Cookson said : "I'm devastated to hear that the cycling family has lost one of its members at such a young age. Our deepest thoughts are with her family and friends".
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3749
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    Re: RIP
    « Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 15:24 »

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) is extremely sad to announce the loss of Dutch mountain bike rider Annefleur Kalvenhaar.

The 20-year-old Focus XC Team rider fell on August 22, 2014, at the cross-country Eliminator qualifying rounds of the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup in Méribel, France. She was transferred to the intensive care unit at the Grenoble CHU, but despite all efforts died this morning.

UCI President Brian Cookson said : "I'm devastated to hear that the cycling family has lost one of its members at such a young age. Our deepest thoughts are with her family and friends".

:(
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5656
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 16:56 »
    Always sad news to hear about the death of a fellow cyclist. :(
    Rest in peace.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1042
    « Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 11:21 »
    Yay Julien !!!

Quote from: Echoes in the "Riders that VR like" thread
    Julien Absalon *fr I'm not really in touch with MTB but know from reliable sources that Julien has a reputation as a clean rider. Believe what you want but well I had sympathies for him when I saw his impressive collapse. A champion who can feel the pain!

Switch to full suspension helps French mountain biker come back as world champ

It's been seven long years since Julien Absalon won the cross country world championships. On Saturday, the French legend of mountain biking earned the rainbow striped jersey for the fifth time in his career.

"I won four in a row, and the last one was in 2007. It was a long time without," said Absalon. "It's a pleasure have the jersey, and it will be nice to ride with it again next year."

His world championship win came at the end of a perfect season.

"I got all the jerseys I could win: the nationals, the Europeans, the World Cup overall and the Worlds. It was perfect!" he said with a big smile.

One thing Absalon did differently in the process of ending his drought of world championship wins was to race a full suspension bike. He was a reluctant and late convert relative to his rivals, but after winning the Worlds, he was enthusiastic about his new bike.

"At the beginning of the season, the BMC team manager asked me if I wanted a dually because the other riders on the team were asking for them, but I told him not to bother because I wasn't going to use it anyway."

"Finally, the team manager talked me into trying. I thought it was good for me to ride the hardtail because I always stand up on the pedals."

Absalon is one of the world's best climbers - he dances uphill relative to his competition. Although he was afraid of losing that advantage, after the World Cup in Windham, where Nino Schurter continually made up time on him while riding his dual suspension on the technical downhills, Absalon had told Cyclingnews that he'd consider going with full suspension for next year.

However, after the Meribel final round of the World Cup, Absalon agreed to take a full suspension home with him and ride it in training.

"In my mind, I thought I'd be riding my full suspension starting next year, but after Meribel, when I saw the track here, I thought I needed to try it," he said. "It's not possible with my hardtail to follow Nino on the downhill. I was losing 15-20 seconds per lap to Nino on the downhills in Windham."

"When I got here, I was going to do one lap on a full suspension and one on the hardtail to compare, but after one lap on the full suspension, I didn't even do the lap on my hardtail. I thought, 'ok, I know my choice.'"

Absalon knew it was a risk to race the Worlds with a new, untested bike, but he said, "I needed to try it because it was faster. It turned out to be a good option." Absalon doesn't expect to always use his full suspension going forward - he will pick it or the hardtail based on each race's course.

Winning and winning again

Absalon compared winning title number five to his first win.

"The first one was crazy because it was two weeks after the Olympics and it was a big surprise. It was cool because I was riding in front of fans in Liege. I started just to enjoy it and it was very muddy, so I decided to ride with very low pressure. I figured if I flatted, it didn't matter, I was still the Olympic champion, but then I won the race in front of Thomas Frischknecht, which I never expected. It was was good to win it in France."

Since then, he's found defending the jersey to be a challenge. "After that, it was maybe harder to win because once you have it on your shoulders, you realize that maybe it won't be yours any more. It's hard to defend it than to win it."

Absalon made one other big change to his preparations this season. "I changed my diet. I don't eat any more pasta. I eat totally different, so I lost 2-3kg but output the same watts. So with less weight, I feel better and less tired."

The amicable [:)] French star also answered the inevitable Olympic question. Although he's not the current Olympic champion, he has previously won.

"Yes I hope I will be in Rio if everything goes ok the next few years," he said. In the shorter term, he's looking forward to the World Cup next year and the Worlds, which will be in Vallnord, Andorra.

"I like the track in Vallnord, so we'll see. Maybe I'll do some more races this year, but basically my season is over."
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 13:41 »

:o :o :cool :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 293
    « Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 18:21 »
    You have to love Sagan's 'have a go' attitude... RR too climber friendly... I'll switch to MTB's... bet he carries flag too!

http://road.cc/content/news/192899-peter-sagan-switches-mountain-biking-rio-olympics-video

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 15:33 »
    Mathieu Van der Poel failed in his bid for an Olympic selection. So I guess the two selected Dutchies are Michiel Van der Heijden  :) en Rudi Van Houts.

In Belgium, it's Ruben Scheire and multitalent Jens Schuermans (watch out for him). Kevin Van Hoovels has been left out and is suing the federation. He accounted for results and points, he cannot understand this.

(Article from today's "Het Belang van Limburg")

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 16:27 »

It's a bit old but an interview with Jonas De Backer for the regional edition (Brabant) of the Nieuwblad a few weeks ago when he won in Landgraaf, Netherlands.

The article says that he's the best belgian mountainbiker (but well he's from Vilvoorde, so Brabanders are biased). It's quite amazing that he is not selected for the Olympics but I don't follow mountainbike too closely to judge.

Anyway he won while starting from the 3rd line on the grid. Apparently Ruben Scheire and Quinten Hermans (the crosser :cool) were very strong in the chase.

Apparently he took the decision to stop after the European championship but might recall his decision.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 11:48 »
    The Belgian nats were raced last Sunday in Ottignies, which happens to be the town where I was born  ;) and then where I finished my studies (on the campus of Louvain-La Neuve).

The raced on the Bois des Rêves which is very close to where I had my last student flat.

Ruben Scheire wins ahead of Sébastien Carabin and Jonas De Backer (who raced his last nats ???).

Bart De Vocht was 4th but dropped quite early. Jens Schuermans pulled out of the race as he did not wish to take any risk before Rio, he's got a knee injury.

De Vocht was finally glad about his form as he told GvA (July 18):

The article says he could do better. He did not start with ambition but it went on better than expected. Next Thursday is the marathon race and he'll be present.

His younger brother Jochen raced the U23 race but had an off-day: 15th.

Last Saturday De Vocht listed his favourites for the title:

Ruben Scheire, Jonas De Backer and Tom Meeusen (!)

It seems that this season Bart somewhat overtraind and needed long rest periods. The two brothers did not match their standards of last year (Bart was elected Mountainbiker of 2015 in Belgium and Jochen won the U23 Flanders Cup also last year).

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 19:46 »

The last Belgians in action in Rio have surpassed themselves. National coach Rudy De Bie judged that the two Belgian MTB'er - Ruben Scheire & Jens Schuermans - could content with a top16. Scheire finished 11th and Schuermans 18th.

Scheire started on the fourth line on the grid but found a way to gradually move to the front.

It could have been better. In the last lap I crashed. The Frenchman [so Absalon, that is?] in front of me was totally dead but that way he could still break away. Otherwise a top10 was within reach but I'm still happy.

Same story for Jens Schuermans of Maasmechelen [It's in Limburg, so they feel the need to say it].

On the last climb, my chain broke. Shame that such things must happen at the Olympics. I still had to run to the stands. I lost one minute for that alone. Otherwise I might have reached the top15

About the controversy around Kevin Van Hoovels, Jens said:

The people who closely follow mountainbike know that we deserved our selections. With five young Belgians, we are very close to the World's top. We now need to get stronger on our road to Tokyo. You can see that the guys who now perform are all in their thirties.

Jens claimed that Sagan would have dropped without the flats:

I had already raced against him earlier this season and he already dropped after canon starts. Mountainbike is racing an hour and a half in the red. A different effort from the road.

An interview of Jens Schuermans from Saturday's Belang

Jens had a super year in 2013 when he was 2nd at the Euro championship and won a World Cup event. Then he chose a military education for nine months and afterwards focused on one goal: Rio. Three days after his military service he went for a training session in South Africa and on Day 1 he crashed face down on a rock garden and broke "everything he could broke. Only he did not realise it because it did not hurt that much. Three of the five face nerves were damaged. Yet he still cycled to his base camp. When I awoke days afterwards, it seemed that blood had dropped out of the nose and the ears which pointed to an internal bleeding. He landed in a hospital in Cape Town. There it seemed that he had five breaks in his face: broken cheekbones, orbit, cranial fracture, etc.

It seems like he had some kind of Western Suprematist view like "sh*t I'm here in Africa" but admits that the medical team there was far more advanced than he thought. (South Africa is known for their medical advancement though)

"My face had three metal plates linked to each other" (headline of the article)

However due to the doctors being too focused on his breaks at the face they did not see that a cartilage in his knee was also affected. It lasted long before they started to work on it.

19 months. Only in May last year he could resume competition. One year before the selection for Rio was made public. He did not see himself as a potential candidate.

Then he was 5th in the U23 World Championship last year and says that the feel was much better than the outcome suggested. He had a problem with his electric derailleur, otherwise he had fought for the win.

He then raced the test event in Rio in order to reco the route and most of all to check what it was racing in such climate with the high air humidity. Therefore he also went to Leuven for a training in an accimatization room and did a sweat test.

Theroute included less steep and long climbs that they are used to in World Cup events. Fast route with many technical passages and obstacles. WIth the test event he knew where in needed to drink, with which gear he needed to start and which tyres were more suited to the Rio clay.

He had better the route was heavier.

About the controversy with Van Hoovels he argued that Van Hoovels often claimed that he had the most top30 results in World Cup events but forgot to mention that when this happened most of them were still U23. He admits that Kevin had bad moments (contract ending, death of his father) but adds that pro contract is for everyone of them a living matter.

• ReplyReply

•