froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2048
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #1020 on: March 03, 2015, 20:42 »
First indications as to the teams:

Wiggins confirmed for Paris-Nice, Froome for Tirreno-Adriatico

The headline should substitute Porte for Wiggins but that is what you get when reading the Anglo press.

Strade Bianche: Andy Fenn, Peter Kennaugh, Christian Knees, Salvatore Puccio, Ian Stannard, Elia Viviani, Xabier Zandio.

Tour de Langkawi: Ian Boswell, Philip Deignan, Nathan Earle, Sebastien Henao, Danny Pate, Chris Sutton.

Paris-Nice: Bernhard Eisel, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Richie Porte, Nicolas Roche, Luke Rowe, Ben Swift, Geraint Thomas, Bradley Wiggins.

Tirreno-Adriatico: Chris Froome, Peter Kennaugh, Leopold König, Mikel Nieve, Wout Poels, Salvatore Puccio, Ian Stannard, Elia Viviani.

Sky may be dividing the teams up nice and early and whilst I am not sure about who will be lining up with Porte at the Giro (I have a feeling Puccio and Viviani will be on that list and certainly not Wiggins or Thomas), the TA team does seem to be roughly based around Froome;s mountain support team at the Tour, very roughly I say as Roche will be competing for a place on the Tour roster and Thomas will probably be assured one, however Konig, Nieve, Poels and Stannard will all be expecting to line up alongside Froome. I haven't been following, is there any reason why Kiriyenka isn't racing now? I also think that Lopez will lose his exalted status in the team now with the reinforcements over the winter.

I can't see past your lineup DB, unless one particular rider puts in a massive performance sometime between now and July, of course Kennaugh added in there as well, instead of possibly Poels, Roche or Kiriyenka. Kennaugh I get the feeling is now rated very highly within Sky and he certainly is rated well outside of the team. I fancy Seb Henao for the Giro after a promising performance last year, I can't imagine he has a shoo in for the Tour especially as Sky want a balanced team with experienced heads to lead them and they have ample climbing support already. Dunno about Sergio, as he hasn't started his season yet and isn't on any of these lists. I wouldn't be too surprised if they had sent him back to Colombia for some more testing..
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1705
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #1021 on: March 03, 2015, 20:52 »

Wiggins confirmed for Paris-Nice, Froome for Tirreno-Adriatico

The headline should substitute Porte for Wiggins but that is what you get when reading the Anglo press.

Strade Bianche: Andy Fenn, Peter Kennaugh, Christian Knees, Salvatore Puccio, Ian Stannard, Elia Viviani, Xabier Zandio.

Tour de Langkawi: Ian Boswell, Philip Deignan, Nathan Earle, Sebastien Henao, Danny Pate, Chris Sutton.

Paris-Nice: Bernhard Eisel, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Richie Porte, Nicolas Roche, Luke Rowe, Ben Swift, Geraint Thomas, Bradley Wiggins.

Tirreno-Adriatico: Chris Froome, Peter Kennaugh, Leopold König, Mikel Nieve, Wout Poels, Salvatore Puccio, Ian Stannard, Elia Viviani.

Sky may be dividing the teams up nice and early and whilst I am not sure about who will be lining up with Porte at the Giro (I have a feeling Puccio and Viviani will be on that list and certainly not Wiggins or Thomas), the TA team does seem to be roughly based around Froome;s mountain support team at the Tour, very roughly I say as Roche will be competing for a place on the Tour roster and Thomas will probably be assured one, however Konig, Nieve, Poels and Stannard will all be expecting to line up alongside Froome. I haven't been following, is there any reason why Kiriyenka isn't racing now? I also think that Lopez will lose his exalted status in the team now with the reinforcements over the winter.

I can't see past your lineup DB, unless one particular rider puts in a massive performance sometime between now and July, of course Kennaugh added in there as well, instead of possibly Poels, Roche or Kiriyenka. Kennaugh I get the feeling is now rated very highly within Sky and he certainly is rated well outside of the team. I fancy Seb Henao for the Giro after a promising performance last year, I can't imagine he has a shoo in for the Tour especially as Sky want a balanced team with experienced heads to lead them and they have ample climbing support already. Dunno about Sergio, as he hasn't started his season yet and isn't on any of these lists. I wouldn't be too surprised if they had sent him back to Colombia for some more testing..

I can't see Puccio, Stannard or Viviani at the TdF. Swap in Porte, Thomas and Roche. That is the only objective of Team Sky this year. Everything else is a bonus.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #1022 on: March 03, 2015, 20:57 »
    I can't see Puccio, Stannard or Viviani at the TdF. Swap in Porte, Thomas and Roche. That is the only objective of Team Sky this year. Everything else is a bonus.
    Yep I agree about Puccio & Viviani for Porte & Thomas. Re-read my post  ;) I fancy Stannard in the team, they want his power on the flat and he has quite some weight with his impeding performances in the classics.  ;) He made the team in 2013 despite strong competition and would probably have made last year as well if not for his injury.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 478
    « Reply #1023 on: March 03, 2015, 21:11 »

Sky may be dividing the teams up nice and early and whilst I am not sure about who will be lining up with Porte at the Giro (I have a feeling Puccio and Viviani will be on that list and certainly not Wiggins or Thomas)

Yes good question - a real wealth of talent to support Froome in France, with a high degree of confidence; but after last year I can no longer see Richie as a genuine grand tour GC contender, if he chokes they need a strong lieutenant; a real plan B... Who best to superdom and be ready to assume leadership?
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #1024 on: March 03, 2015, 22:05 »
    Pretty certain I have read somewhere that Sergio Henao won't be back until after the Giro but that Sebastian will ride it after impressing the team management last year.

Given his 2013 performance and very vocal annoyance last year, I think it would be a big mistake for them to not take Kennaugh to the Tour this year. The logical option to me would be to have Roche, Konig, Poels, Kennaugh and Nieve plus Thomas and Stannard which would create a pretty strong team on the mountains and on the flat. Konig is a pretty decent Plan B too.

There's then a bit of flexibility to allow for an old workhorse such as Kiri or Eisel, or Swift to go for stage wins with a decent lead out.
    Of course, considering that everyone apart from Astana fell apart on the cobbles last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rowe or even Fenn being taken to offer extra support, although Eisel's experience would probably put him in the squad if that is one of their concerns.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4545
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #1026 on: March 06, 2015, 18:14 »
    That almost reads like a parody. Are we sure it's not a satirical website?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #1027 on: March 06, 2015, 18:25 »
    Fairly sure. I don't normally read Team Sky pieces, but that interested me. I'm also reading a book at the moment that mentions DB a lot in terms of his leadership and strategic planning. So I'm not surprised that he is continuing with the 'marginal gains' experiment, whatever that will entail in the coming years.

Most relevant for the discussion in hand, however, was the throwaway mention of Wiggo preparing for "his last stage race" with Sky.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

DJW

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1028 on: March 06, 2015, 19:51 »
    That almost reads like a parody. Are we sure it's not a satirical website?

If you thought that was ridiculous...

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/take-a-look-at-bradley-wiggins-custom-team-car-livery-for-paris-nice-161186
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7600
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1029 on: March 06, 2015, 20:04 »
    I demand - demand! - that the UCI step in and stop this blatant disregard of their licensing rules! ;)

If Tony Martin can't have #rainbow bands on his own bike, Sir Wiggo surely can't have them on the following car.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #1030 on: March 12, 2015, 18:50 »
    Former Sky Josh Edmonson has signed for #anpost Anpost Chainreaction
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11189
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #1033 on: April 15, 2015, 17:48 »
    Kristoff to Sky potentially, albeit he would need leader billing for the monuments. They will also need to check his blood profile with a fine-tooth comb IMO.

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/kristoff_to_join_team_sky/

Straight from the Real Madrid school of transfers this one..."If Katusha can't afford him..."

:-x
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #1034 on: April 15, 2015, 18:25 »
    Kristoff to Sky potentially, albeit he would need leader billing for the monuments. They will also need to check his blood profile with a fine-tooth comb IMO.

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/kristoff_to_join_team_sky/

Straight from the Real Madrid school of transfers this one..."If Katusha can't afford him..."

:-x

Rasch needs to call Oleg and ask him how he felt about giving Sagan 4.000.000€ per year.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #1035 on: April 15, 2015, 18:31 »
    They will also need to check his blood profile with a fine-tooth comb IMO.

:fp
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13227
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1036 on: April 15, 2015, 18:36 »
    "The challenge is to get Alexander to another level"

what level is that supposed to be? Winning the Tour de France? That's probably one of Sky's biggest problem, and a reason why some of the bigger profile riders who signed for Sky had problems to live up to the expectations - because those are disproportionately high

Edit: ok, apparently it was that Orn guy who said that, so Kristoff's personal trainer. Doesn't make it any better
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #1037 on: April 15, 2015, 18:42 »
    Edit: ok, apparently it was that Orn guy who said that, so Kristoff's personal trainer. Doesn't make it any better

He said that level was winning at least one monument per year, out of the three that are possible that is a lot to ask but for two years running it seem to be mission accomplished.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #1038 on: April 15, 2015, 18:46 »
    :fp

Florry. You know as well as I do  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #1039 on: May 19, 2015, 00:14 »
    Dunno how geo-restricted this is but Bradley Wiggins was on Desert Island Discs last week: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05tbsqb

Really nice casual interview that is not just the usual cycling stuff.

Caution: do not listen if you are an avowed Wiggins/Sky hater. The portrayal of Bradley as a human being may make it difficult for you to heap derision upon all his words and achievements in the future.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 664
    « Reply #1040 on: May 19, 2015, 09:49 »
    https://www.twitter.com/WoutPoels/status/599879472108720128
    https://www.twitter.com/GeraintThomas86/status/599601518745100288
    https://www.twitter.com/nicholasroche/status/599927433383550976

a few Sky guys fly to Tenerife today, should be the Tour team

Poels, Thomas, Roche.
    Froome should be there too
    Knees and Henao still in Cali
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1041 on: May 20, 2015, 20:52 »
    https://www.twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/601055642959355904

Roche Kennaugh Rowe Froome Thomas Stannard

Poels is there too, I guess on different schedule/ride after his shoulder operation
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #1042 on: May 20, 2015, 22:29 »
    https://www.twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/601055642959355904

Roche Kennaugh Rowe Froome Thomas Stannard

Poels is there too, I guess on different schedule/ride after his shoulder operation

Add Porte and Konig to those 7 and do you have the team for the TDF?
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1043 on: May 20, 2015, 22:33 »
    Add Porte and Konig to those 7 and do you have the team for the TDF?

Maybe, or Porte and Nieve
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1044 on: May 21, 2015, 09:28 »
    Maybe, or Porte and Nieve

Nieve got called to the Giro last minute
    https://www.twitter.com/NieveMikel/status/589511834509701120

Henao should ride too
    Knees I don't know
    Kennaugh form and contract still to be seen

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7600
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1045 on: May 25, 2015, 10:25 »
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3602
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #1046 on: May 26, 2015, 03:39 »
    Brailsford calls for radio communication to be aired on TV:
    http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/brailsford_wants_to_allow_tv_viewers_to_listen_to_radio_messages/

"It would be super interesting to hear what the sporting directors are saying to the riders", he said.
    That sounds like he's trying to figure out how it's done.

"It’s a complex sport. You’ve got all the sporting directors in the cars trying to play out hundreds of scenarios, like ‘who is going to chase? They all wait and watch the gap get to nine minutes, 10 minutes, and then suddenly you think, ‘hold on, I might be throwing the Giro away here. I think if everybody knew what each team was trying to do it would be fascinating and add a whole new level of intrigue and understanding."
    Wouldn't that be akin to broadcasting any coach/player huddle from any number of team sports, and thereby undermining the very essence of "strategy"?

How would this work, exactly? With 20 or more different team radios, how would this get sorted out?

And wouldn't the very act of sharing all that info have an effect on the actual info being shared?

And shouldn't Brailsford be more concerned with keeping his own damn riders upright on their bikes anyway?!?!

Every team-car radio-feed that I've ever heard usually consist of little more than, "C'mon, guys. That's it. Keep it up. Go, go, go." Fascinating.
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 789
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #1047 on: May 26, 2015, 05:27 »

Done and dusted Brailsford, did it add anything?

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #1048 on: May 26, 2015, 06:27 »
    Every team-car radio-feed that I've ever heard usually consist of little more than, "C'mon, guys. That's it. Keep it up. Go, go, go." Fascinating.
    Tinkov posted a video from the #tinkoff car a few days ago, it was quite interesting imo because De Jongh said something like "okay so if you guys want a faster pace, Roman, up to you to decide who pulls"

Anyway I can't help but think this is a bad idea, what if teams are preparing an ambush attack, I mean if Sky hear on the radio that Tinkoff are planning to send Majka up the road at the TDF surely they will act apprioprately. Maybe Brailsfraud knows his team sucks monkey balls when it comes to race tactics so he wants to know what other teams do to level the field.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11189
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #1049 on: May 26, 2015, 07:15 »
    Tinkov posted a video from the #tinkoff car a few days ago, it was quite interesting imo because De Jongh said something like "okay so if you guys want a faster pace, Roman, up to you to decide who pulls"

Anyway I can't help but think this is a bad idea, what if teams are preparing an ambush attack, I mean if Sky hear on the radio that Tinkoff are planning to send Majka up the road at the TDF surely they will act apprioprately. Maybe Brailsfraud knows his team sucks monkey balls when it comes to race tactics so he wants to know what other teams do to level the field.

there will be codes

In many sports plays are called on the field and teams use codes

I for one think it will be interesting  and yes Sky really do suck at the race tactics part of Race craft

and tbh the more you look the worse the team looks or maybe they really are clean  :o   :lol ....... but for another section of course
  • ReplyReply

•