collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11185
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #1080 on: January 12, 2016, 14:14 »
I guess that's what happens when you are sponsored by a media organisation.

but it is not them it is CN, Cycling weekly etc
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1663
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #1081 on: January 12, 2016, 14:23 »
    but it is not them it is CN, Cycling weekly etc

Yes, but as a media organisation they have all the right contacts in every publishing house/TV network etc etc.

One of the benefits for Ford is the huge marketing power of Sky, contacts, PR Agencies, networking et al.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #1082 on: January 12, 2016, 14:26 »
    Yes, but as a media organisation they have all the right contacts in every publishing house/TV network etc etc.

One of the benefits for Ford is the huge marketing power of Sky, contacts, PR Agencies, networking et al.

If you believe that Sky marketing department are that good I guess I will leave it

It IMHO the roll on of the focus of the cycling media in general but defiantly the English cycling media on Sky, it one of the reasons why there is so much BS and crap re Sky in the 1st place
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #1083 on: January 12, 2016, 14:34 »
    If you believe that Sky marketing department are that good I guess I will leave it

It IMHO the roll on of the focus of the cycling media in general but defiantly the English cycling media on Sky, it one of the reasons why there is so much BS and crap re Sky in the 1st place

Part of the deal with Ford signing up would be the amount of PR they would get from it. Having worked in media/advertising for many years I know how it works, and as you said the other teams may issue a press release, Sky media reps/PR agency will be wining and dining, will be in day-to-day contact with all publications, and as you say English speaking.

Don't forget as a global brand, Sky, is somewhat more of a story than Quickstep flooring so as well as heavily targeting the cycling media they will also target more general media knowing that they'll get coverage. Favours for favours as well between media guys.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #1084 on: January 12, 2016, 14:37 »
    Part of the deal with Ford signing up would be the amount of PR they would get from it. Having worked in media/advertising for many years I know how it works, and as you said the other teams may issue a press release, Sky media reps/PR agency will be wining and dining, will be in day-to-day contact with all publications, and as you say English speaking.

Don't forget as a global brand, Sky, is somewhat more of a story than Quickstep flooring so as well as heavily targeting the cycling media they will also target more general media knowing that they'll get coverage. Favours for favours as well between media guys.

I know Ford knew they would get this focus

Sky media department are crap always have been

I has nothing to do with Sky being a global brand it has to do with the cycling media focus on Sky which brings positives ie for Ford and negatives in that is becomes so very tiresome and turns people away

Froome farts and we get 48 hours of reports

• ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #1085 on: January 12, 2016, 14:42 »
    I know Ford knew they would get this focus

I has nothing to do with Sky being a global brand it has to do with the cycling media focus on Sky which brings positives ie for Ford and negatives in that is becomes so very tiresome and turns people away

Froome farts and we get 48 hours of reports

Don't confuse Sky ProCycling media damage limitation with Sky's global power in partnership with brands who pay them handsomely.

Has Froome farted?

It is no different than if McDonalds were involved in cycling, they would ratchet it right up as they can afford to. Don't forget that Ford's marketing budget is absolutely huge (well over £100m in the UK alone) and they will be driving much of this (forgive the pun). They have a brand new Mondeo to sell, as well as several other SUVs, a transit and a new luxury car.

The publications also know that the more coverage they give, the more likely they will be on Ford's advertising schedules for the year.

Let's assume that Cycling Weekly see that they will get a one page ad in every issue for 52 weeks, that would probably be £5k income per week for that page ~ £250k per annum. Everyone's happy.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #1086 on: January 12, 2016, 15:21 »
    I will leave it here no point talking around in circles
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #1087 on: January 12, 2016, 19:36 »
    Having spent a month driving a Ford Fusion around, I have nothing but sympathy for Team Sky in 2016.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #1088 on: January 13, 2016, 22:51 »
    Having spent a month driving a Ford Fusion around, I have nothing but sympathy for Team Sky in 2016.

Probably still better than the Fiat Fission, where the door come off :lol
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #1090 on: January 14, 2016, 10:32 »

I think you're conflating the two very different sides of the same spinning coin:

a) the ability to deal with externally generated news stories in an agile and sure-footed way minimising damage to the brand.

b) the ability to push stories out into the media that maximise brand recognition and value for sponsors.

In Sky's case: a=crap, b=gold.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13141
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1091 on: January 24, 2016, 17:02 »
    www.cyclingquotes.com/news/van_poppel_i_want_to_win_classics/

"I got an offer from Sky, they told me that they want to make me a good rider for the Classics"

:lol
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #1092 on: January 24, 2016, 20:15 »
    www.cyclingquotes.com/news/van_poppel_i_want_to_win_classics/

:lol

To be honest, I never quite bought into him as a sprinter, so why not?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1093 on: January 24, 2016, 21:51 »
    oh, sure, I wasn't laughing about van Poppel's potential lack of abilities there - more about Sky's (in the regard of being an attractive development team for someone who wants to improve in the classics)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 22:43 by search »

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #1094 on: January 24, 2016, 22:25 »
    DvP could be a very very good rider. He's only a pipsqueak now, he will grow into a winner.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1096 on: February 05, 2016, 11:01 »
    https://twitter.com/EdwardPickering/status/695559687345979392

This season should show us whether or not Sky is properly committed to one-day racing.

Thomas' focus on GC seems contrary to that but the recruitment of Kwiatkowski and to some extent Van Poppel does suggest an attempt to broaden the team's competitiveness.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #1097 on: February 05, 2016, 20:02 »
    They have Rowe, Stannard and G for the cobbles and have tried to bolster that with Fenn, Moscon and DvP.

Froome would contest Fleche Wallonne if he can stay healthy and on his bike. Henao and Kwiatkowski also pretty good for the Ardennes.

So they have the squad to win one day races, and have won 2 Omloops and Harelbeke which is more than a lot of teams have. It's clear that a team built to keep Froome safe in the Tour will have a lot of GC talent but I think actually they've developed pretty well on the one day side the past couple of years and this could be a year they get some big results.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316
    « Reply #1098 on: February 22, 2016, 21:39 »
    Sky has received a lot of publicity, I think we can say mostly criticism, related to Porte's motor home in various parking lots around the start of the Giro last year. Such means of transportation are quite new to cycling (for the active pro cyclists, not for the fans, although they seem to prefer simpler varieties). However, those of us that follow other sports as well will know that they are quite common in other sports, especially in skiing. Team Sky's motorhome for Porte (aka the Porta-Porte?) is simply nothing compared to Ole Einar Bjørndalen's combined motorhome & training facility. And even Porte's palmares come quite short  compared to Bjørndalens outstanding collection of olympic medals. So, what else was there to expect: now Team Sky leader Dave Brailsford has now met Bjørndalen to learn about integrated motor vehicles for sports & camping near various sports events.

This news page from Norwegian state broadcaster NRK website is in Norwegian, but if international audience is allowed to see the clip, maybe Brailsford and Froome has something to say:  http://www.nrk.no/sport/team-sky-vil-laere-av-vm-klare-bjorndalen-1.12816339

Team Sky has indicated that they would like Bjørndalen to come to one of their training camps to discuss both training and motorhome construction. Bjørndalen is 42 and still a serious contender for medals at the world championships this year. No word about how long Chris Froome intends to keep pedaling up the mountains.  :D

On a more serious note: Bjørndalen competes in biathlon and the skiing style there is more like classics racing in cycling with very variable intensity. The analogue to the Team Sky stage race style would be  cross country distance skiiers like Martin Johnsrud Sundby (who won this year's Tour de Ski).
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1099 on: February 22, 2016, 22:13 »
    doesn't Northug have one as well?!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1100 on: February 22, 2016, 22:27 »
    doesn't Northug have one as well?!

He might not be allowed to drive  :lol

EDIT: he destroyed a very expensive audi driving drunk almost killing one of his friends, and ran away from the accident. Not something to be proud of  :(
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1101 on: February 22, 2016, 22:32 »
    yeah, I know the story, it was a bit of a joke that they postponed his punishment until the season was over

I guess the normal person doesn't have a license to drive this one anyway, so it may be unrelated ;)

• ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #1102 on: February 25, 2016, 12:14 »
    Sky have got an amazing record in the first weekend of the season proper, with a lowest ever position of 4th in OHN and 2 wins and a 3rd in 5 runnings of KBK. Yet this year the team looks barely competitive...

Andrew Fenn
    Michal Golas
    Christian Knees
    Gianni Moscon
    Alex Peters
    Salvatore Puccio
    Luke Rowe
    Elia Viviani

A couple of kids, a couple of workhorses, a few still awaiting a breakthrough performance and a 2nd tier sprinter.

I assume it's tactical, as over the same period they've rarely threatened to take a Monument victory; but are these the right tactics?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1103 on: February 25, 2016, 12:45 »
    Sky have got an amazing record in the first weekend of the season proper, with a lowest ever position of 4th in OHN and 2 wins and a 3rd in 5 runnings of KBK. Yet this year the team looks barely competitive...

Andrew Fenn
    Michal Golas
    Christian Knees
    Gianni Moscon
    Alex Peters
    Salvatore Puccio
    Luke Rowe
    Elia Viviani

A couple of kids, a couple of workhorses, a few still awaiting a breakthrough performance and a 2nd tier sprinter.

I assume it's tactical, as over the same period they've rarely threatened to take a Monument victory; but are these the right tactics?

To put it a bit bluntly, Stannard is only really good for maybe two weeks in Spring. On both occasions that he won OHN, he was off the boil by the time Flanders came around. In that regard, it's probably a good move.

It sure is a ragtag team though. The older guys Golas and Knees are there to add a bit of weight. Viviani will have one eye on the Track Worlds (presumably) and has already said he's there to help the team. On the other hand, Puccio has been going conspicuously well lately but never looks like living upto his U23 promise. So unless this is the beginning of a breakout by Rowe, it's hard to see who they're going with here.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1104 on: February 25, 2016, 15:39 »
    Surely Rowe is the only one with a real chance to win OHN of the squad. I'd say protect him, if Viviani is looking stunning and the weather is good, he could be a plan B if the race is shockingly slow. Oh and if anyone fancies why not get in the break as well?
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1105 on: February 25, 2016, 19:21 »
    Gianni Moscon is a very good cyclist and these races can be his best chance for a breakthrough. He lost the U23 worlds two years ago by slipping in the second last downhill, where it flattened out on top of the dam in a near 90-degrees tight right-hand turn. His potential is definitely higher than his results to date, but I guess that sums up Sky's classics squad and not just Moscon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1106 on: February 25, 2016, 21:51 »
    Gianni Moscon is a very good cyclist and these races can be his best chance for a breakthrough. He lost the U23 worlds two years ago by slipping in the second last downhill, where it flattened out on top of the dam in a near 90-degrees tight right-hand turn. His potential is definitely higher than his results to date, but I guess that sums up Sky's classics squad and not just Moscon.

Agree his future is interesting, probably still too early to expect anything in a big race like this though, other than of cause experience to be used later on. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #1107 on: February 25, 2016, 22:34 »
    I think I'm one of very few people who think Sky have inconspicuously develops their classics team very well over the past few years. Doubts over DVP are a shame but I see Stannard's absence as a big chance for Rowe who could easily be winning a handful of classics in a few years time.

Yes the rest of the team lacks experience and demonstrable results, but Fenn, Moscon and Rowe will have chance to show some talent and then work hard for G and Yogi later in the spring.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1108 on: February 25, 2016, 23:08 »
    Sky's classics team - might have done something well, but failed to get decent results with Edvald Boasson Hagen - arguably the greatest talent they had on their rooster for the classics (split with G. Thomas perhaps). This had something to do with their training or team culture. When Edvald came to Sky, he started falling from the sky, and now that he left Sky it seems he is back on track again. Dimension Data will have a role in the classics this year.

One notable things about Sky in the classics has been crashes, and not just any rider crashing but the captain or other lead riders crashing. More than any other team. Geraint Thomas enjoys hero status in the UK and it must be because he crashes so often that it is all forgotten when he wins a race. Here,  its been a joke that Sky's tactic should be to put Thomas in front of the other team's main riders, and let him wipe them out in the inevitable fall. However, it hasn't just been Thomas, Boasson Hagen and Stannard have had their share of misfortune too. As a team, they have been falling too much and while that could be technique it is more likely about concentration and psychology involved.

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3024
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #1109 on: February 26, 2016, 09:38 »
     I would assume the team is what is if because Luke Rowe, having served his three year apprenticeship and getting some pretty fair results in the process, now gets his opportunity to lead.
     Time for Cardiff boy one to pass the baton to Cardiff boy two, so to speak.

As for EBH, regardless of talent or teams, to date he remains 20kms short of what it takes to win a monument.
    So many great riders do.
    It's the reason why they remain the jewel in cycling's crown.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [Today at 13:03]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by search
    [December 06, 2019, 16:18]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim
    [December 06, 2019, 15:37]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by search
    [December 06, 2019, 15:28]

Re: Man Down - Injury Reports 2019 by Joelsim
    [December 06, 2019, 14:02]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim