collapse

froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2048
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2012, 11:20 »
I agree, Cav indeed may be jepoardising Wiggins' chances of winning the Tour again or whatever other targets he may have in the future and the truth is that currently Sky's priority is Wiggins, Froome and winning GTs and classics etc and though Cav is certainly an extra aspect to their team; if he is an aspect which will get in the way and prevent Sky reaching their targets than Wiggins has a right to want to get rid of him.

Admittedly the way he announces it to the media is probably inapproriate but unfortunately that sometimes seems to be Wiggins' way.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11186
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #181 on: August 20, 2012, 14:53 »
    “For me [it is] not big at all,” he said, referring to missing the worlds TT. “I am the Olympic champion, that is the one everyone wants to win. I won't be doing the time trial. I have a lot of commitments now in the next six weeks and I am probably not going to be able to give the time to the training that is required to win the gold there.

"I will be there in a supporting role to help the guys in the road race and it is the same with the Tour of Britain. A lot of guys have ridden for me all year and rather than just stop and say I have won what I wanted to win and go on holiday for six months and get fat, I thought it would be nice to go back there and help the team in those races."

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12674/Wiggins-says-leaving-Team-Sky-might-be-best-for-Cavendishs-career.aspx#ixzz245uH53bZ

Nice to ride for others

not sure the Olympics is the one everyone wants to win but still nice touch to super dom for the team and GB
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #182 on: August 20, 2012, 16:50 »
    For a GB rider Olympics > Worlds, at least at the moment.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #183 on: August 30, 2012, 09:42 »

And forgo the chance to spend a season in rainbows?   :fp

Announced this morning that Rapha will become thee official clothing provider for Sky next year (for 4 years), replacing addidas
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #184 on: August 30, 2012, 09:43 »
    TEAM SKY CHOOSE RAPHA ON AND OFF THE BIKE
    Rapha Performance Roadwear will become the official clothing provider to Sky Pro Cycling from January 2013. Rapha will provide a complete range of clothing and accessories to dress Team Sky – the world’s highest ranked team – both on and off the bike.
    As part of the four-year agreement, Rapha will develop a full collection of top-end, high-performance racing and training kit and off-bike dress for both riders and staff. The Rapha offering will also extend to the best selection of riding and fan wear for supporters of Team Sky.
    “We are delighted that, after only eight years as a business, we have been chosen by Team Sky, the world’s number one team, as their partner.  We share their passion for performance and team ethic and are enthusiastic to inspire and engage a wider fan base around the globe,”  – Simon Mottram, Founder and Chief Executive of Rapha.
    Dave Brailsford, Team Principal of Sky Pro Cycling, said: “Team Sky has achieved this year’s level of success because of a strong and steady vision to find improvement at every level to help our riders win.  I see Rapha joining us next year as another step in that direction. They share our ambition and vision for cycling.”
    The full Sky Pro Cycling collection will become available for sale in January 2013 on the global Rapha online store (www.rapha.cc) and at select cycling retailers around the world.
    Register to receive updates from Rapha »
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #185 on: August 30, 2012, 09:51 »
    TEAM SKY CHOOSE RAPHA ON AND OFF THE BIKE
    Rapha Performance Roadwear will become the official clothing provider to Sky Pro Cycling from January 2013. Rapha will provide a complete range of clothing and accessories to dress Team Sky – the world’s highest ranked team – both on and off the bike.
    As part of the four-year agreement, Rapha will develop a full collection of top-end, high-performance racing and training kit and off-bike dress for both riders and staff. The Rapha offering will also extend to the best selection of riding and fan wear for supporters of Team Sky.
    “We are delighted that, after only eight years as a business, we have been chosen by Team Sky, the world’s number one team, as their partner.  We share their passion for performance and team ethic and are enthusiastic to inspire and engage a wider fan base around the globe,”  – Simon Mottram, Founder and Chief Executive of Rapha.
    Dave Brailsford, Team Principal of Sky Pro Cycling, said: “Team Sky has achieved this year’s level of success because of a strong and steady vision to find improvement at every level to help our riders win.  I see Rapha joining us next year as another step in that direction. They share our ambition and vision for cycling.”
    The full Sky Pro Cycling collection will become available for sale in January 2013 on the global Rapha online store (www.rapha.cc) and at select cycling retailers around the world.
    Register to receive updates from Rapha »

Heading: TEAM SKY CHOOSE RAPHA ON AND OFF THE BIKE
    Subheading: Deal clinched with poncey, overpriced, élitist, Fredwear firm gives haters another reason to hate

;D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #186 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20 »
    And forgo the chance to spend a season in rainbows?   :fp

Announced this morning that Rapha will become thee official clothing provider for Sky next year (for 4 years), replacing addidas

Oh I agree, it sucks. I would much prefer to see Wiggo racing this autumn but this has been the pattern of his career, after he achieves a big goal he has spent years working for he just doesn't give a crap for 6-9 months.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #187 on: August 30, 2012, 13:50 »
    Subheading: Deal clinched with poncey, overpriced, élitist, Fredwear firm gives haters another reason to hate

;D

And I thought the Adidas replica jersey was expensive. I'll take their £90 over £140 for a Rapha. Looks like I'm finding another team next season  ::)
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #188 on: August 30, 2012, 14:27 »

He said its the one "everyone" wants to win, not the one "I wanted to win".

Though i do agree that olympics, time trial especially is bigger.

Dont get the last sentance, does he think "putting in the  neccesary training" would guarantee gold. Tony Martin is a pretty good time trialist.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #189 on: August 30, 2012, 15:29 »

;D

well i did say in the spring there was a brand new kit for 2013..

didnt say how much it would be.. :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #190 on: August 30, 2012, 17:17 »
    well i did say in the spring there was a brand new kit for 2013..

didnt say how much it would be.. :D

OK, BBC correspondent, surely you brokered a Velorooms discount? Or did we all diss Sky too much in these hallowed threads?

I just hope they don't attempt any of that faux retro silliness.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #192 on: August 31, 2012, 12:19 »
    That is as firm a confirmation as I need, Cav is definitely gone.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #193 on: August 31, 2012, 12:31 »

Agreed. Much as last year, though, he and the team are keeping their lips sealed out of respect for his new team.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #194 on: August 31, 2012, 12:38 »
    I dont see why it is not just a case of the team focusing on the job at hand rather than being distracted by the media.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #195 on: August 31, 2012, 12:43 »
    I dont see why it is not just a case of the team focusing on the job at hand rather than being distracted by the media.

Well... you would think that a clear and concise denial that Cav was going anywhere would be easier for Sky to issue that the continuous drips and drops of Wiggo and EBH making vaguely cryptic comments. Would you be at all surprised if he was in a different jersey next season (and I don't mean the new retro-Rapha design that is forthcoming)
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #196 on: August 31, 2012, 12:45 »
    Which team out there has the most money and the least chance of contending for the GC at Le Tour 2013? OPQS does seem like a pretty strong contender.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #197 on: August 31, 2012, 12:51 »
    Well... you would think that a clear and concise denial that Cav was going anywhere would be easier for Sky to issue that the continuous drips and drops of Wiggo and EBH making vaguely cryptic comments. Would you be at all surprised if he was in a different jersey next season (and I don't mean the new retro-Rapha design that is forthcoming)
    Agreed, but I do not think we can see that anything has been concluded just yet.

I personally expect him to go to OPQS but we will have to wait and see, I wonder what Peter Velits thinks of it all?  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #198 on: August 31, 2012, 22:22 »
    Boonen leading out Cav next year?   :police:  ;D

Agree, OPQS does seem like the most likely of destinations.  And whilst that might irritate Peter Velits, imho he's never really shown (since his 3rd in the Vuelta) that he can compete with the best in a GT and therefore warrant 8 other guys riding for him.  Cav > Velits
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #199 on: September 01, 2012, 22:36 »
    Boonen leading out Cav next year?   :police:  ;D

Agree, OPQS does seem like the most likely of destinations.  And whilst that might irritate Peter Velits, imho he's never really shown (since his 3rd in the Vuelta) that he can compete with the best in a GT and therefore warrant 8 other guys riding for him.  Cav > Velits
    Exact my thoughts, I am sure OPQS really want a rider who can do well GC wise in the Tour and a podium for them there would be dreamland for them... but they would probably if presented with the opportunity to sign Cav say "stuff them all"... as Guaranteed multiple stage wins > Unlikely GC contender.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #200 on: September 02, 2012, 16:23 »
    As long as Brian Holm is DS at OPQS, I am almost certain that Cav - if he changes teams - will go to OPQS.
    I mean, he even tried to get Holm to Sky by paying his salary himself (but Holm didn't want that): I can't imagine Cav going from Sky to a team that doesn't have Holm as DS.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #201 on: September 02, 2012, 20:00 »
    Will OPQS poach Renshaw from Rabobank then? Who is the best pilotfish on that squad as it stands?
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1122
    « Reply #202 on: September 02, 2012, 20:02 »
    Will OPQS poach Renshaw from Rabobank then? Who is the best pilotfish on that squad as it stands?
    Gert Steegmans probably.
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #204 on: September 04, 2012, 12:13 »
    Ugh. I didn't enjoy Le Tour much either, for much the same reasons.

However, answering a question about Armstrong with a typical Armstrong soundbyte is not good.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #205 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20 »
    Gert Steegmans probably.

Steegmans as a minion - er lead out guy for Cav will go down well with IG.   ;D
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #206 on: September 09, 2012, 00:13 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-it-cant-work-with-sky

"It's like a long-distance relationship. Everything's great but you live apart and it can't really work out. You want to be friends and you'd rather the best thing happened so that you can stay close," Cavendish said.

He added: "We obviously had ambitions that can't work out. The Tour de France is the hardest sporting event in the world. When you realize that you can't go in with a double-pronged attack…that maybe became apparent at the Tour. I was incredibly proud to be part of the British team that won the yellow jersey with a British rider [Bradley Wiggins]. That was a big thing in my career. Hopefully we can find an amicable solution."

The end is near..

Edit: Video of interview here; (dont know if geo-restricted) http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19534076
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #207 on: September 09, 2012, 12:52 »
    Nigh on impossible to see him there next year.  Having said that, I don't think even buying him out of his contract will be that big an obstacle - sounds like he'd be prepared to put up some of the money himself...
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #208 on: September 09, 2012, 18:14 »
    Cavendish got a raw deal from Sky.

They got the glory of Cav and he only got 12 victories, no green jersey,  no Olympic medal and unlikely to get the Rainbow one either and no classics or monuments.

Bet he regrets it now, but aint gonna say it. Wait till next year then tear into them.

It will have to be OPQS. No other team there for Cav.

• ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #209 on: September 09, 2012, 18:25 »
    Katusha? Now theyve lost their sprinter due to EPO positive and Freire retiring. Theyve got the Russian oil money though. I think Katusha and OPQS are the only ones able and willing to afford Cavendish, and theres always this extra person on your team with Eisel following Cavendish everywhere he goes.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts