collapse

cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3257
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2012, 09:21 »
...theres always this extra person on your team with Eisel following Cavendish everywhere he goes.

That said, Havs, I'm sure in one of the write-ups of the interview it mentioned that Sky wanted to keep Bernie and the Latvian soigneur that Cav brought with him from HTC. It's almost certain that's he's off now, though, just the Is to be dotted and the Ts to be crossed.

On a related note... who managed to create this new team in their copy..?

Rumours have been circulating since the Tour that he is likely to join the Omega-Pharma-Liquigas team

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9530857/Mark-Cavendish-breaks-long-silence-to-confirm-he-wants-a-move-away-from-Team-Sky.html
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #211 on: September 10, 2012, 09:32 »
    That said, Havs, I'm sure in one of the write-ups of the interview it mentioned that Sky wanted to keep Bernie and the Latvian soigneur that Cav brought with him from HTC. It's almost certain that's he's off now, though, just the Is to be dotted and the Ts to be crossed.

On a related note... who managed to create this new team in their copy..?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9530857/Mark-Cavendish-breaks-long-silence-to-confirm-he-wants-a-move-away-from-Team-Sky.html

Daniel Friebe's write up for Cyclingnews on Sat mentions Belgian sources claiming that provisional terms between Cav and OPQS are already agreed - and mentions SKy wanting to keep Bernie and the siogneur
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-it-cant-work-with-sky
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #212 on: September 10, 2012, 10:25 »
    They got the glory of Cav and he only got 12 victories, no green jersey,  no Olympic medal and unlikely to get the Rainbow one either and no classics or monuments.

I've just had a look, and he only got 13 victories last year... I accept that those included the Worlds, and don't include the Green Jersey, but he can hardly feel shortchanged by Sky. Regardez:

2011:
    Tour of Oman 1 stage
    Scheldeprijs
    Giro 2 stages, abandons after Stage 12
    Tour 5 stages, Green Jersey
    London-Surrey Cycle Classic (Olympic Test Event, 1.2, riding for TeamGB)
    Tour of Britain 2 stages
    World Championships Road Race (riding for TeamGB)

Tour of Qatar 2 stages
    Kuurne - Brussel - Kuurne
    Tirreno - Adriatico 1 stage
    Giro 3 stages, 2nd in points classification, completes all stages
    Ster ZLM Tour Overall GC
    Tour 3 stages, including record-setting 4th win on the Champs-Élysées
    Tour of Denmark 1 stage
    Tour of Britain ... tell me you don't think he'll win a stage!

So I make that 11 victories in his HTC jersey last year, and 11 so far in the Sky/Rainbow combination, plus an overall GC.

He's leaving, for sure... but let's not pretend Dave Brailsford has given him a raw deal!
  • ReplyReply

• Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #213 on: September 10, 2012, 10:31 »
    I've just had a look, and he only got 13 victories last year... I accept that those included the Worlds, and don't include the Green Jersey, but he can hardly feel shortchanged by Sky. Regardez:

2011:
    Tour of Oman 1 stage
    Scheldeprijs
    Tour of Britain 2 stages

Tour of Qatar 2 stages
    Ster ZLM Tour Overall GC
    Tour of Denmark 1 stage

So I make that 11 victories in his HTC jersey last year, and 11 so far in the Sky/Rainbow combination, plus an overall GC.

He's leaving, for sure... but let's not pretend Dave Brailsford has given him a raw deal!

Good injection of facts and common sense there... :tu
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11134
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #214 on: September 10, 2012, 10:37 »
    He probably got quite a few victories on his own work where as the last years much less.

But if he had the full team support - Green for sure plus 2 more stages at the tour

Olympics is hard to say really, but if you asked Cav I bet he would fell a little let down, which is stupid because he knew this going in - but I think Benno´s point is Sky gained more out the deal and Cav lost
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #215 on: September 10, 2012, 10:57 »
    Reading the newspaper this morning, this caught my eye:
    Telegraph Sport understands that there are no ’buy-out’ or penalty clauses in the contract and that Cavendish will simply be asking that Brailsford and Sky, as an act of good faith, release him from his contract, which has two years to run, so he is free to race elsewhere next year. In that event Omega Pharma-Quick Step would be strong favourites to secure his signature.

No buy-out clause?  If that's true, then it makes it far easier for OPQS or whoever else to afford him...  I would have thought that these things were written into the contracts for definite - think Wiggins leaving Garmin, Canc leaving Saxo.  Bit of an own goal for Sky if it is true.
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #216 on: September 10, 2012, 11:00 »
    Reading the newspaper this morning, this caught my eye:
    No buy-out clause?  If that's true, then it makes it far easier for OPQS or whoever else to afford him...  I would have thought that these things were written into the contracts for definite - think Wiggins leaving Garmin, Canc leaving Saxo.  Bit of an own goal for Sky if it is true.

or not

DB maybe saw this coming  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #217 on: September 10, 2012, 11:18 »
    He probably got quite a few victories on his own work where as the last years much less.

But if he had the full team support - Green for sure plus 2 more stages at the tour

Olympics is hard to say really, but if you asked Cav I bet he would fell a little let down, which is stupid because he knew this going in - but I think Benno´s point is Sky gained more out the deal and Cav lost

Worth remembering that in the process his salary went up from 750k pa (HTC) to 2m...and that's now his base for negotiations with next team...

Being able to beat Sagan for Green this year if he'd had full support....that's debatable, with Sagan's ability to be able to pick up points at times when Cav wouldnt have stood a chance, but still always be there in the mix of a bunch sprint...hmmm...

(and I'm a big Cav fan)
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #218 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36 »

2011:
    Tour of Oman 1 stage
    Scheldeprijs
    Tour of Britain 2 stages

Tour of Qatar 2 stages
    Ster ZLM Tour Overall GC
    Tour of Denmark 1 stage

2011 he wins a rainbow and a green jersey.

2012 has not equalled that. I consider that short changed. Considering he was supposed to win a Gold and a Green.

Yes he won a rainbow with basically a sky team, which i am sure they did not let him forget and hence used to get him to sign with sky no doubt assuring him a gold.

I doubt in Cav's career he will look back at 2012 as one of his better years.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #219 on: September 10, 2012, 12:40 »
    I doubt in Cav's career he will look back at 2012 as one of his better years.

I strongly suspect you're right. 2012 has been a year of frustration and nearly-moments (the Giro, especially) for Cav.

Definitely time for him to move on and blitz next season (are the Worlds going to be flat next year? It's Florence, right? So right near where Cav's Italian base is...)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #220 on: September 10, 2012, 12:46 »
    If Eisel doesn't go it has to be because Sky is offering greater Classics freedom. Without Flecha, that leaves Thomas, Hayman and Stannard as the handsome cobblers. Which would presumably mean a step up for any of them.

Meanwhile Cataldo leaving OPQS suggests that the latter has no GC interests at all in 2013, except perhaps a free hand given to Velits to just follow moves as best he can in the mountains. I say this because Leipheimer might end up being a write-off if USADA has anything to do with it.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #221 on: September 10, 2012, 16:17 »
    Benotti, L'arriviste: thinking about it, you're probably right - more lows than highs for Cav this year, he's not achieved the biggest goals he had for himself, and no, 2012 wont rank up there for him.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #222 on: September 10, 2012, 19:03 »
    I strongly suspect you're right. 2012 has been a year of frustration and nearly-moments (the Giro, especially) for Cav.

Definitely time for him to move on and blitz next season (are the Worlds going to be flat next year? It's Florence, right? So right near where Cav's Italian base is...)
    Worlds are going to be way out of Cav's reach as far as I know.

His aims will really vary depending on his team. At OPQS he will have a team built around him at the Tour and GTs but that may not be the case for the classics and some stage races. The opposite may be said if somehow goes to somewhere like Katusha or Rabo. Tbh there really is not much choice other than OPQS atm which would mean a crack at the green jersey of mountaineous route and a Giro ride will most likely be his primary goals.

He has been unlucky at classics but that will not be allowed to continue at a team with such a strong classics base and with such a classics pedigree as OPQS there will be no room for the Cav theatrics of the past couple of years when it comes to the cobbles.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #223 on: September 11, 2012, 09:31 »
    Failing to define his six runners for World Championship team time, the case of early Sky block for Circuit Franco Belgian, the Giro Piemonte and Lombardy.

In Lombardy, WorldTour Classic last September 29, the British set a great team announced: the winner of the Tour de France Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome, Rigoberto Uran more, Sergio Henao, Richie Porte, Peter Kennaugh and Danny Pate.

Giro For Piemonte (September 27), Chris Froome, Rigoberto Uran, Sergio Henao and Richie Porte will be accompanied by Peter Kennaugh, Davide Martinelli, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Montréal GP winner, and Danny Pate.

And the Circuit Franco-Belgian (27-30 September), the Sky will introduce the following riders: Michael Barry, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Juan Antonio Flecha, Michael Rogers, Ian Stannard, Chris Sutton, Ben Swift, Geraint Thomas

GT

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=55438
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #224 on: September 11, 2012, 10:00 »
    Stolen from the BBC's live sports text update ticker page.

British cycling's performance director Dave Brailsford has been talking to BBC Sport about Mark Cavendish's desire for an "amicable" split from Team Sky.

Brailsford said: "Mark and I have known each other a long time. We all want the best for each other - let's not forget I've got the role of British cycling performance director as well as Team Sky principal and my interest is in seeing all GB riders perform to the best of their abilities in the right environment. There's no issues really."
  • ReplyReply

• Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #225 on: September 11, 2012, 10:05 »
    GT

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=55438

Strong team for the Italian races. Tempted to go to watch Lombardia, such a beautiful race
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #226 on: September 11, 2012, 10:07 »
    Stolen from the BBC's live sports text update ticker page.

ie he is out of here
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #227 on: September 11, 2012, 10:19 »
    Strong team for the Italian races. Tempted to go to watch Lombardia, such a beautiful race

Well, a strong team which includes Froomey - who is cooked - and Wiggo - who has already mentally finished his season. I'm not sure who else the parcours would suit... maybe Froome will work for Henao or Uran after their work in Spain?

ie he is out of here

Ha - indeed. Which makes me question the BBC's definition of news. Let's hear nothing more about it until the picture of Cav and Brian Holm - holding the new, rainbow trimmed OPQS jersey - appears in a few weeks time (I appreciate that this sort of photo is a football thing, but you know what I mean ;) )
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #228 on: September 11, 2012, 10:24 »
    Well, a strong team which includes Froomey - who is cooked - and Wiggo - who has already mentally finished his season. I'm not sure who else the parcours would suit... maybe Froome will work for Henao or Uran after their work in Spain?

Ha - indeed. Which makes me question the BBC's definition of news. Let's hear nothing more about it until the picture of Cav and Brian Holm - holding the new, rainbow trimmed OPQS jersey - appears in a few weeks time (I appreciate that this sort of photo is a football thing, but you know what I mean ;) )

Plus non of the Italian races are for single pace climbers

Uran and Henao should be the leaders will do much better than Froome and Wiggans 
  • ReplyReply

• Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #229 on: September 11, 2012, 10:47 »
    Plus non of the Italian races are for single pace climbers

Uran and Henao should be the leaders will do much better than Froome and Wiggans

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - the Colombians. Froome and Wiggo to help out.
  • ReplyReply

• Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #230 on: September 11, 2012, 10:50 »

Quite. The BBC are acting this week like they're on to some hot exclusive ???
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #231 on: September 11, 2012, 11:02 »
    So after ToB is Cav finished for this season?
  • ReplyReply

• Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #232 on: September 11, 2012, 11:15 »
    Well, you never know, Brailsford might dispatch him to the Tour of Beijing as a farewell present ;D
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #233 on: September 11, 2012, 11:48 »
    Well, you never know, Brailsford might dispatch him to the Tour of Beijing as a farewell present ;D

Brailsford aint stupid. There might be a flattish World champs coming in a few years.

How long before Cav is spotted riding a Cipollini or a Venge in Lucca, Tuscany? ::)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #234 on: September 11, 2012, 12:22 »

I was looking at Team Sky's remaining races... Cav has still never won Paris - Tours, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him there. ToB will certainly be the last Sky/Rainbows combination with Cav inside it.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #235 on: September 11, 2012, 15:40 »
    Well he is going to the Worlds...

But after that probably just Paris Tours as Cj says he is always determined to go for that particular race. I doubt he will go to Beijing but we will have to wait and see

Dont underestimate Wiggins. Even in substandard mental frameset and form he still carries a threat with his massive engine and as he showed today in the TOB he is prepared to give his all for his team mates and really make an impact. I think many will be surprised with his form come the Worlds, just because he is not doing the TT people consider him to be lax and not to be truly caring, but it seems like Wiggins has turned a new leaf at least from the signs so far in the TOB and he seem to be truly determined to make it work. We will see how strong he is later this week, but I have a feeling that he is stronger than many expect.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #236 on: September 11, 2012, 15:51 »
    I would love to see Wiggo do well at the Worlds - I would never underestimate his strength, but all the sounds coming from his camp suggest that he won't compete. That's not to say he won't work 100% for someone else. I guess we need to wait for the final list to come out of TeamGB HQ.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #237 on: September 11, 2012, 15:54 »
    I would love to see Wiggo do well at the Worlds - I would never underestimate his strength, but all the sounds coming from his camp suggest that he won't compete. That's not to say he won't work 100% for someone else. I guess we need to wait for the final list to come out of TeamGB HQ.

How is Wiggo going to compete at a up-hill sprint then hold with 1.7 km to go for a sprint

it is just not his bag
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #238 on: September 11, 2012, 16:26 »
    it is just not his bag

If I had photoshop in front of me right now, I would so definitely mock up a photo of Wiggo as Austin Powers saying that! Maybe when I get home (*counting down the minutes till I can leave*)
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #239 on: September 11, 2012, 18:16 »
    Saw the quote from DB as well, about him being both head of British Cycling and Sky.  Surely there is a conflict of interest there?  With his Sky hat on, he probably isn't too fussed if Cav goes - simplifies their  GT ambitions for the future.  But from a British point of view, he presumably would want Cav under his/Sky's control so that for the greater good of British Cycling they can monitor his fitness and form and so on - i.e. like they did before the Olympics (as it's fair to assume that had Cav been elsewhere he wouldn't have been able to prioritise it quite so much I don't think).  That said though, next Olympics aren't for 4 years, and  unlikely to be a Cav friendly WC course like Copenhagen any time soon, so presumably Brailsford's Sky hat will win...
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts