collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10741
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 14:16 »
I appreciate I'm permanently wearing my Sky tinted spectacles but bearing in mind they already have Davide Appollonio, Richie Porte, Kanstantsin Siutsou, Rigoberto Urán, Bradley Wiggins and Xabier Zandio at Catalunya, how many other teams could field such strong (in quality of rider not sheer numbers) line-ups in what is effectively 5 races in a week...?

75% of the WT peloton  O0
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 14:27 »
    I appreciate I'm permanently wearing my Sky tinted spectacles but bearing in mind they already have Davide Appollonio, Richie Porte, Kanstantsin Siutsou, Rigoberto Urán, Bradley Wiggins and Xabier Zandio at Catalunya, how many other teams could field such strong (in quality of rider not sheer numbers) line-ups in what is effectively 5 races in a week...?

there is that.

im a bit frustrated that Geraint cant leave his track training for a couple of weeks and come and help out. Put him into dwaars and it makes a world of difference
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 16:31 »
    A bit unforgivable with Sky going into 3 ongoing and upcoming races understrength.  I know Olympic track has disrupted stuff but its beginning to get ridiculous.

The Great JTL must be brought in before its too late.  O0
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 13:02 »
    With Tennant being added link does that suggest there is a possibility of one of Kennaugh, Thomas and Swift not playing a role at the Worlds or in London, and meaning their absence from the road will be for nothing?
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 15:59 »
    April Squads

Ronde
    Edvald Boasson Hagen, Bernhard Eisel, Juan Antonio Flecha, Mathew Hayman, Jeremy Hunt, Christian Knees, Ian Stannard, Chris Sutton

Pais Vasco
    Davide Appollonio, Sergio Henao, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Salvatore Puccio, Michael Rogers, Luke Rowe, Xabier Zandio

Schelder
    Bernhard Eisel, Juan Antonio Flecha, Mathew Hayman, Jeremy Hunt, Christian Knees, Ian Stannard, Chris Sutton

Rouaix
    Edvald Boasson Hagen, Bernhard Eisel, Juan Antonio Flecha, Mathew Hayman, Jeremy Hunt, Christian Knees, Ian Stannard, Chris Sutton

Amstel
    Edvald Boasson Hagen, Mathew Hayman, Sergio Henao, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Salvatore Puccio, Xabier Zandio

Fleche
    Davide Appollonio, Sergio Henao, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Salvatore Puccio, Luke Rowe, Rigoberto Urán, Xabier Zandio

Liege
    Davide Appollonio, Sergio Henao, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Salvatore Puccio, Luke Rowe, Rigoberto Urán, Xabier Zandio

Romandie
    Mark Cavendish, Chris Froome, Jeremy Hunt, Danny Pate, Richie Porte, Michael Rogers, Kanstantsin Siutsou, Bradley Wiggins

• ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 22:45 »
    With Tennant being added link does that suggest there is a possibility of one of Kennaugh, Thomas and Swift not playing a role at the Worlds or in London, and meaning their absence from the road will be for nothing?

Pretty sure it is swift who is going to miss out.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 22:46 »
    April Squads

Ronde

Pais Vasco
    Davide Appollonio, Sergio Henao, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Salvatore Puccio, Michael Rogers, Luke Rowe, Xabier Zandio

Schelder
    Bernhard Eisel, Juan Antonio Flecha, Mathew Hayman, Jeremy Hunt, Christian Knees, Ian Stannard, Chris Sutton

Rouaix

Amstel
    Edvald Boasson Hagen, Mathew Hayman, Sergio Henao, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Salvatore Puccio, Xabier Zandio

Fleche

Liege

Romandie
    Mark Cavendish, Chris Froome, Jeremy Hunt, Danny Pate, Richie Porte, Michael Rogers, Kanstantsin Siutsou, Bradley Wiggins

am excited about some of those squads. interested to see how Henao, Nordhaug and Uran are going at liege
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 22:54 »
    Yeh, I think that Henao, Uran, LPN combo could be fun. All young (ish) all show promise.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 925
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 07:32 »
    Is Tennant going to race in the omnium? Swift isn't in the team pursuit anyway and only did the omnium in London. Thomas and Kennaugh won't be dropped from the team pursuit from all that I've read so far. Steve Burke or Ed Clancy possibly then.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:39 by ram »

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 09:41 »
    Brailsford is trying to pull off a very complex juggling act with the Track and Road squads for Team GB and Team Sky, and expectations are (to put it mildly) flipping high.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 23:14 »
    As far as the perception of the British press and public goes, no amount of success at the Tour would make up for a poor performance at the Olympics. I think fewer than two golds in the Velodrome would be seen as a major disappointment, the expectation is somewhere around four. Medals in the road race/ITT would be a bonus.

If Cav wins green again it will get similar or perhaps a little less coverage than it did last year, which is to say front pages on the broadsheets and page 2 or 3 of the sports pages in the tabloids (assuming no football news).

If Wiggo wins yellow I honestly have no idea what the reaction will be. I imagine it will be big news for a few days but once the Olympics start it will be forgotten.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 23:29 »
    Is Tennant going to race in the omnium? Swift isn't in the team pursuit anyway and only did the omnium in London. Thomas and Kennaugh won't be dropped from the team pursuit from all that I've read so far. Steve Burke or Ed Clancy possibly then.

Ed Clancy is the best omnium rider in the team generally. Swift is still in the pursuit team and was the 5th rider in london so did the omnium instead.

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3394
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 00:27 »
    I do think its a waste.  He is trying for the pursuit team, but probably wont make the cut ...

so sacrificed his season for basically squat
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 00:49 »
    I do think its a waste.  He is trying for the pursuit team, but probably wont make the cut ...

so sacrificed his season for basically squat

Thats a bit harsh. Lot of riders have tried to win races this year and got nothing. would you consider their seasons wasted?

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3394
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 01:25 »
    No to spend a decent part of the road season, focusing on the track to then not get picked is a waste.

yep - that
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #45 on: March 29, 2012, 07:39 »
    Long way to go until the Olympics - injuries etc Swifty Bits could still ride
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #46 on: March 29, 2012, 07:56 »
    Not much opportunity behind an in-form Cav and EBH anyway, he hasn't missed much.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 716
    • Loving this weather... not.
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #47 on: March 29, 2012, 08:55 »
    (assuming no football news).

I should know this but is there any clash with the European football champs and the Tour or Olympics?
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #48 on: March 29, 2012, 10:13 »
    I should know this but is there any clash with the European football champs and the Tour or Olympics?

The Tour starts on the 30th of June this year, and the finals of the Euros are on the 1st of July.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #49 on: March 29, 2012, 12:48 »
    April Squads

Amstel

Fleche

Liege

Its cool that Luke Rowe is getting a go at F-W and Leige,  Nordhaug was flying the other day so deserves a run in the big races also.  Hopefully grab a top 10 somewhere.
  • ReplyReply

• hatcher

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #50 on: April 07, 2012, 18:34 »
    Any idea who Kennaugh is replacing in FW, or who Thomas is replacing at Romandie?
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 23:14 »
    If Wiggo wins yellow I honestly have no idea what the reaction will be. I imagine it will be big news for a few days but once the Olympics start it will be forgotten.

I think the reaction would be pretty big, but as you say, once the Games kicks off, particularly in the Velodrome, it will get pushed down the agenda.  Brailsford's juggling act could all come tumbling down around him if the yellow/green conundrum ends up with neither, and GB get trumped by the Aussies on the track...

Not so much Sky news, but a question; how should Sky view the Cobbles season that has just finished?  They did well at Omloop and at KBK, but when push came to shove in the races that mattered most, they were found wanting, particularly worrying (if that is the appropriate word) as the Cobbles are meant to be one of their stronger suits.  I accept that Flecha was strong at Paris Roubaix, but the team tactics as a whole once Boonen went away left a lot to be desired.  What do they need to do to improve next year (apart from getting G back on the road)? 
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 23:18 »
    I think not having Geraint was a huge fail. As a road cycling fan, im still annoyed by the damn olympics taking precedent.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #53 on: April 10, 2012, 09:12 »
    I think not having Geraint was a huge fail. As a road cycling fan, im still annoyed by the damn olympics taking precedent.

Typical Britain, if you ask me. The Man doesn't want the country looking stupid at its own Olympics, so it's all hands on deck and sod your own life choices. Like the BCF nurtured you so now you owe the BCF (or whatever they call it nowadays). The Man just gets Brailsford to lean on the youngsters.

I'm more jaundiced than a leader's jersey about the Olympic track events, in no small part thanks to my sour grapes over not getting a look in on the tickets (and who the hell actually did get some?).

So what I look forward to is the steady but inexorable trickle of lads and lasses announcing they're quitting the track from August onwards. Boardman's already out, Pendleton probably actually will quit this time. And Swifty and Thomas are up next ...
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #54 on: April 10, 2012, 09:51 »
    Sky's classics season has been a failure this year. Flecha was his usual close-but-not-close-enough self, EBH still can't seem to hang with the big boys on the cobbles and Cav squandered a very real chance to win Gent because he counted on the strength of his team instead of relying on his own strength.

I think next year will be a different story. With the Olympics out of the way, G will be in the frame as co-leader with EBH for Flanders and Roubaix, and hopefully Flecha will be downgraded to road captain and super-dom. I don't say that out of spite, I love JAF, but his chances of winning one of those races have passed and it's time he paid back some of the work that has been done for him over the past two years.

I expect Hayman will leave the squad so he can have a shot at leadership somewhere, which will be a bit of a blow, but hopefully Wiggo will ride Roubaix again (remember he was 25th in 2009!) where he could be a real asset.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #55 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56 »
    Whats the deal with EBH ?

Shold be doing a lot more with what he has imo
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #56 on: April 10, 2012, 10:01 »
    Whats the deal with EBH ?

Shold be doing a lot more with what he has imo
    If I knew I'd be on the blower to Brailsford right now.

He's looked just a little bit off all spring, like his form is just a few weeks away from being where it needs to be but never gets any better.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 925
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #57 on: April 10, 2012, 10:02 »
    I don't mind Thomas in the track, they have a decent enough squad to challenge without him. Will Sky suddenly start winning cobbled classics with him in the squad? I'm don't think so.

Did he ride MSR? He could've made a proper difference there.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 716
    • Loving this weather... not.
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 10:05 »
    Without wishing to advertise...

I was quote focused in an old blog to say that he would be the future of classic racing (the other guy in the article has arguably outshone him so far).

http://road.cc/content/blog/8689-tour-flanders-2012

After his Tour stage win last year I thought he would kick on, but it hasn't happened for his this season as yet.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #59 on: April 10, 2012, 10:05 »
    I don't mind Thomas in the track, they have a decent enough squad to challenge without him. Will Sky suddenly start winning cobbled classics with him in the squad? I'm don't think so.

Did he ride MSR? He could've made a proper difference there.

All he's done on the road this year is Down Under and Paris-Nice.

I don't think his return will suddenly transform Sky in to a dominant force in the classics, but you can see from the numbers they had at the front in Roubaix that they have a very strong squad, they just seem to lack a real winner. On-form EBH should be able to fill that role, but G certainly can too.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Slag om Norg by DJW
    [June 28, 2017, 22:36]

Re: Slag om Norg by Echoes
    [June 28, 2017, 21:41]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by t-72
    [June 28, 2017, 21:15]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [June 28, 2017, 21:04]

Re: Stagiaires 2017 by Leadbelly