collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11437
  • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #690 on: January 17, 2014, 06:46 »
Richie Porte knows him and will have vouched for him and recommended.

Confirms that Wiggo is going to the Tour of California.

Overall, good interview and I get the sense he will fit in fine - just get on with his his job no moaning - let's hope he is strong enough.

I know that, but a very 80's way of doing it, especially from a science side
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13827
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #691 on: January 17, 2014, 06:50 »
    I'd have signed him as well just after reading Jono's feature on him ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #692 on: January 17, 2014, 17:11 »
    Wiggo/Froome racing together first at Tirreno-Adriatico:

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/15264/9120207/sir-bradley-wiggins-keen-to-race-more-with-team-sky-team-mate-chris-froome-in-2014

They are obviously making an effort to patch over their differencies.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #693 on: January 18, 2014, 23:12 »
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #694 on: January 20, 2014, 18:59 »
    Very strong team going to Ruta del Sol:

Wiggins
    Porte
    Boasson Hagen
    Kiryienka
    Kennaugh
    Thomas
    Deignan
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #695 on: January 24, 2014, 14:29 »
    Nice Wiggo interview:

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/12040/9131113/cycling-tour-de-france-target-for-bradley-wiggins

- Winter training went well
    - wants to hit ground running in early season as in 2012
    - wants to perform well in Tour of California and sounds like other USA events
    - wants to be on tour team in "whatever capacity"
    - ducked the "withholding bonus from Froome" question saying reasons behind it were an internal matter and it is a strange one that it was made public.

All in all, it is looking like he is in a good place
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #696 on: January 24, 2014, 14:51 »
    There is a non-Darkside Sky news thread you know
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #697 on: January 24, 2014, 15:04 »
    Quite a lengthy article in The Times with quotes from both Sky and Rapha

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/onyourbike/article3985068.ece (subscription required)

It look as if Froome's partner has ruffled a few feathers (again)

However Rob Jorgensen, a Team Sky spokesman, said the kit was the same as that used by the team during last year’s Tour de France and was also currently in use by Froome’s teammates in the Tour Down Under.

“You have the likes of Richie Porte riding in the Tour Down Under in exactly the same kit in probably the hottest racing conditions you could imagine and we haven’t had any problems with it,” he said. “There is nothing wrong with the kit, but you do need to apply suntan lotion with it. In this instance it looks as if Chris forgot to.”

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6788
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #698 on: January 24, 2014, 15:36 »
    There is a non-Darkside Sky news thread you know

Is moved. Thanks, Jambalaya!  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #699 on: January 24, 2014, 16:05 »
    Is moved. Thanks, Jambalaya!  :cool

Apologies just picked the first thread from a Wiggins search.

It won't happen again

Anyway, compare and contrast:

Wiggins interview with BBC in July 2013 at the Tour of Poland:

Wiggins said he "focused on the positives rather than sitting watching telly depressed" when the Tour de France was on.

He added: "I watched the end of the first stage when I heard the bus knocked the finish down, but otherwise I just followed what the guys did from afar."

Wiggins interview with Sky in Jan 2014 on training camp:

“I’d love to be back at the Tour de France,”

“I missed it last year and I was watching it on the TV. When you see it from the outside, you see just how great the Tour de France is.”

:D
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #700 on: January 27, 2014, 10:06 »

Probably been posted elsewhere, possibly the darkpinkside, but anyway...

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6788
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #701 on: January 27, 2014, 10:11 »
    I can barely stand to look at that photo. Having had a couple of instances in my life of severe sunburn (once because I fell asleep and the other because I didn't realise until it was too late), the memories of discomfort go very deep.

On the one hand, one could argue that adequate sun protection is the rider's responsibility but on the other, a lot of clothing out there these days has a minimum UV rating. To me, this is your job and you need to have at least some basic elements in your working conditions. How is it a marginal gain to suffer sunburn because your jersey is so aero as to be non-existent? It would be like me agreeing to sit on a sh*t quality office chair for years. Oh, wait... ;)

I have often thought that racing cyclists are exposed to the sun so much during their careers that, although their bodies must adjust to the conditions to some extent, it's a wonder there are not more skin problems among the gringos and rubios.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #702 on: January 27, 2014, 10:28 »
    Interesting piece from Robert Millar on the Wiggins/Froome tensions:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/conflict-avoidance-at-team-sky

It would have been more interesting if he would have forecast what will happen this year...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #703 on: January 27, 2014, 10:38 »
    Interesting piece from Robert Millar on the Wiggins/Froome tensions:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/conflict-avoidance-at-team-sky

It would have been more interesting if he would have forecast what will happen this year...

was about to post that, was a nice read for the Roche sections as well.

the whole sir Brad thing does my nut in, especially since it was not sir Dave
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #704 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39 »
    I can barely stand to look at that photo. Having had a couple of instances in my life of severe sunburn (once because I fell asleep and the other because I didn't realise until it was too late), the memories of discomfort go very deep.

On the one hand, one could argue that adequate sun protection is the rider's responsibility but on the other, a lot of clothing out there these days has a minimum UV rating. To me, this is your job and you need to have at least some basic elements in your working conditions. How is it a marginal gain to suffer sunburn because your jersey is so aero as to be non-existent? It would be like me agreeing to sit on a sh*t quality office chair for years. Oh, wait... ;)

I have often thought that racing cyclists are exposed to the sun so much during their careers that, although their bodies must adjust to the conditions to some extent, it's a wonder there are not more skin problems among the gringos and rubios.
    I had some initial sympathy  being fair-skinned and I usually go through a bright pink stage on my way to the pinky-brown shade that I call a tan. However this is Chris Froome, born in Kenya, spent his childhood in Kenya and S. Africa. You just don't go out in the sun for any length of time unprotected if you're white; it's the rules.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #705 on: January 27, 2014, 10:43 »
    was about to post that, was a nice read for the Roche sections as well.

Interesting that he seems to be against the Roche decision or at least puts it down to his competitive spirit, whereas in the race itself Millar helped Roche.

I suspect he thinks Bradley will do the same in 2014.

• ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #706 on: January 27, 2014, 10:50 »
    Interesting that he seems to be against the Roche decision or at least puts it down to his competitive spirit, whereas in the race itself Millar helped Roche.

I suspect he thinks Bradley will do the same in 2014.
    Didn't former winner Delgado ride in the service of Indurain for a number of years? Maybe Millar's purged Perico from his memory.

As to helping Roche, the deal was done; rights and wrongs didn't come into it.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #707 on: January 30, 2014, 16:40 »
    Interesting interview with Kerriston:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/01/news/sky-coach-says-froome-brings-confidence-to-2014-after-yellow-jersey-win_315267
    “Chris is in the early stages of his development,” Kerrison said. “If you look back at his progression, his actual raw power numbers haven’t improved that much. What’s improved is his ability to deliver that in real race situations. … There are a few little rough edges that we can smooth out over the next couple of years, so he uses his talents more efficiently.”

Basically, this is going to be the Sky storyline now:
    - Chris Froome always had the potential
    - He didn't know how to race
    - Team Sky taught him and he served a 2yr apprenticeship
    - Team Sky are wonderful for rider development

Plus:
    - No you can't see his data
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2050
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #708 on: January 30, 2014, 16:46 »
    I wonder if his alien riding style counts as a few little rough edges...?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #709 on: January 30, 2014, 17:08 »
    Regardless of whether he is doping/not doping, it is absolutely clear that his riding style in Barloworld and his riding style now are night and day.

The few of you here who have trained, progressed and raced will understand the significance of that.

The armchair experts will probably not.

Moderator Comment Lets keep away from personal digs thank you
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 18:19 by Dim »
    "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 665
    « Reply #710 on: January 30, 2014, 17:33 »
    may I suggest you both to calm down and have a KitKat?  :hi
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #711 on: January 31, 2014, 17:15 »
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #712 on: January 31, 2014, 17:52 »
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13827
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #713 on: January 31, 2014, 18:10 »
    yeh, that's from last year. Easy to fix though

http://www.teamsky.com/races/0,27631,2014,00.html#month=2
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #714 on: January 31, 2014, 18:24 »
    yeh, that's from last year. Easy to fix though

http://www.teamsky.com/races/0,27631,2014,00.html#month=2
    apologies.

it was quite exciting to see JTL racing again...
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4144
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #715 on: January 31, 2014, 23:24 »
    Interesting interview with Kerriston:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/01/news/sky-coach-says-froome-brings-confidence-to-2014-after-yellow-jersey-win_315267
    Basically, this is going to be the Sky storyline now:
    - Chris Froome always had the potential
    - He didn't know how to race
    - Team Sky taught him and he served a 2yr apprenticeship
    - Team Sky are wonderful for rider development

Plus:
    - No you can't see his data

the issue I have with this storyline ... that I have always had ...  How is it that you learn a 'new' style, how to race, how to win within a 3 week bike race.

He went from basically not being able to win anything above a local crit (maybe an exaggeration there :P )  to a podium on a GT, and winning anything and everything he wanted.      There doesnt seem to have been a 'learning period' ... he went for 3.5 yrs not learning it - to the point of almost being dumped by his team, to all of a sudden not only knowing how, but knowing how consistently over 1, 2 and 3 weeks at a time.  Almost without faltering.

I dont buy the 'he just needed to learn how to race' any more than I buy the bilharzia was the only reason ... even when its both, you would expect a period in the middle where he had good days and bad days.  Where he learned and made mistakes. Not just a jump from donkey to GT winner.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #716 on: February 05, 2014, 06:31 »
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #717 on: February 05, 2014, 10:20 »
    So Team Sky have a media day, everyone flocks to Majorca and everyone is filling column inches with Sir Wiggo's plans.

My thoughts...

1. On Wiggo's sabbatical:

In retrospect given his history post-Olympic Golds, I should have expected this. It is interesting that he says he was making the numbers in training, but he wasn't right for racing. It is bizarre that after all these years at the top, Wiggo is so psychologically unstable.

2. On Paris-Roubaix:

I'm excited, but he should be talking about it as a medium term goal rather than a single year. Too many random things happen. But no doubt if successful, PR plus TdF plus Track Olympics will put Wiggo as one of best all-round cyclists of all time.

3. On Tour of California:

Yawn. It seems like a goal decided upon by sponsors/agents for publicity rather than real athletic goal. I can't believe his heart is in it.

4. On preaching the clean message - loud and hard:

That will be interesting and given past performance, Wiggo really doesn't have the media skills to be successful. This could end up being painful to watch.

5. On his kids changing school:

Wiggo is a celebrity - a change from state to private schools was inevitable. It is not really about doping, if Wiggo was a footballer the same result would have happened, but about a different subject matter.
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #718 on: February 05, 2014, 10:26 »
    the issue I have with this storyline ... that I have always had ...  How is it that you learn a 'new' style, how to race, how to win within a 3 week bike race.

He went from basically not being able to win anything above a local crit (maybe an exaggeration there :P )  to a podium on a GT, and winning anything and everything he wanted.      There doesnt seem to have been a 'learning period' ... he went for 3.5 yrs not learning it - to the point of almost being dumped by his team, to all of a sudden not only knowing how, but knowing how consistently over 1, 2 and 3 weeks at a time.  Almost without faltering.

I dont buy the 'he just needed to learn how to race' any more than I buy the bilharzia was the only reason ... even when its both, you would expect a period in the middle where he had good days and bad days.  Where he learned and made mistakes. Not just a jump from donkey to GT winner.

But, but, but David Walsh said it was legit and everything. And he's not even on the Sky payroll or nothing!!!
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #719 on: February 05, 2014, 10:33 »
    So Team Sky have a media day, everyone flocks to Majorca and everyone is filling column inches with Sir Wiggo's plans.

My thoughts...

1. On Wiggo's sabbatical:

In retrospect given his history post-Olympic Golds, I should have expected this. It is interesting that he says he was making the numbers in training, but he wasn't right for racing. It is bizarre that after all these years at the top, Wiggo is so psychologically unstable.

Or you could put it another way...

It is not bizarre that after all these years of being psychologically unstable, Wiggo is so psychologically unstable.

2. On Paris-Roubaix:

I'm excited, but he should be talking about it as a medium term goal rather than a single year. Too many random things happen. But no doubt if successful, PR plus TdF plus Track Olympics will put Wiggo as one of best all-round cyclists of all time.

Can't see it myself, is there any reason to believe he can do this?

3. On Tour of California:

Yawn. It seems like a goal decided upon by sponsors/agents for publicity rather than real athletic goal. I can't believe his heart is in it.
    Given that the other option in May is domming for Porte for 3 weeks, it's not a difficult choice.

4. On preaching the clean message - loud and hard:

That will be interesting and given past performance, Wiggo really doesn't have the media skills to be successful. This could end up being painful to watch.
    Yeah, I don't know where he gets this idea that he's God's gift to PR and Froome is useless. The reverse is closer to the truth.

5. On his kids changing school:

Wiggo is a celebrity - a change from state to private schools was inevitable. It is not really about doping, if Wiggo was a footballer the same result would have happened, but about a different subject matter.
    No teasing at private schools, oh no, not never.
  • ReplyReply

•