collapse

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1396
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #750 on: February 13, 2014, 09:41 »
There was a photo in that Eisel article in which Puccio also appeared. I haven't forgotten about him, another of Sky's silent youngsters.

Puccio was an awesome U23 performer. Wore pink at the Giro for a day or whatever last season but nothing else of note.

In what will be his third season, it's really time he got the opportunity to step up in 2014.

Agreed.

I wonder if his objectives are something like this:
1. Italian 1 day races, especially MSR and Lombardy for support and opportunity in 2-tier (eg Roma Maxima)
2. Stage hunting in Italian 1-week races, especially TA and Trentino
3. Stage hunting in the Giro.

I suspect he is one of 11-Sky riders due to finish contract at the end of the year.

He needs to given quite a few chances to shine this year.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #751 on: February 25, 2014, 10:06 »
    Mildly interesting article on Team Sky tactics on Green Mountain:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/news/stud-poker-sky-shuffles-froome-deals_317924

- what it all boils down to is whether Sky are going to add another dimension to their SkyTrain tactics this year

And some really nauseous material on Brailsford and helping the footballers before the World Cup which is basically in all the papers:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/24/roy-hodgson-england-dave-brailsford-world-cup
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11382
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #752 on: February 25, 2014, 10:46 »
    Mildly interesting article on Team Sky tactics on Green Mountain:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/news/stud-poker-sky-shuffles-froome-deals_317924

- what it all boils down to is whether Sky are going to add another dimension to their SkyTrain tactics this year

And some really nauseous material on Brailsford and helping the footballers before the World Cup which is basically in all the papers:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/24/roy-hodgson-england-dave-brailsford-world-cup

I think the Sky train is fine when you have a rocket like froome to launch

Porte not so much, sometimes sure

funny 2011 story

Gilbert was riding net to Saint David , he said I am going to attack there, come if you want.

Millar got ready, Gilbert even asked if he was ready.

Gilbert attacked , Millar blew up , Phil won

So with a flying Froome it works , Porte not so much
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #753 on: March 06, 2014, 16:31 »
    Nice interview with Wiggins:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/sir-bradley-wiggins-exclusive-interview-now-happy-to-toe-the-team-sky-party-line-9171980.html

- sees helping out Froome main roll for Tour (he'll have to tell him not to attack so early in the mountains)

- wants to win the TT

- early season goals (PR & Cali) designed not to clash with Froome

- "You'd have to be mad to do it [dope] in this day and age, maybe a bit psychopathic."

- no chance of emulating Horner, sounds like Rio may be his final hurrah

• ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2050
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #754 on: March 06, 2014, 16:41 »
    I have big doubts over Wiggins domestique capabilities, but I guess we will see how he goes.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #755 on: March 06, 2014, 22:15 »
    I have big doubts over Wiggins domestique capabilities, but I guess we will see how he goes.

Kinda hard seeing a rider that can't motivate him self to do well in the Giro, when the whole team is build around him, go out and be super motivated to ride for somebody else. I will give it a better chance than Gadret as a dom for Movistar working out though. If Wiggins was behind Froome I would think Wiggins would at least give Froome his bike if he needed it as long as Wiggins wasn't second behind Froome maybe. In which case it may not matter for Sky either.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #756 on: March 07, 2014, 14:51 »
    Wiggins says pretty much the same to talk sport as he said to the independant.
    http://talksport.com/cycling/sir-bradley-wiggins-le-tour-his-yellow-jersey-pride-and-challenging-doping-hypocrites
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7729
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #757 on: March 09, 2014, 09:25 »
    I found this on the other place.
    It's originally from 12 months ago, but as a characterisation of Ian Stannard it stills holds true:
    http://rouleur.cc/journal/riders/ian-stannard
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #758 on: March 10, 2014, 11:36 »
    Here is what we are being told:

1) Froome has a minor back strain, which is the same strain that caused him to pull out of Giro Lombardia at the end of the last season.
    2) Froome pulls out Tirreno-Adriatico, both Porte and Wiggins are named as replacements.
    3) Porte claims he is the man and Wiggins just there for timetrialling
    4) Froome will back in training after a couple of days of rest.

Perhaps, this official version is true, but:
    1) Historically, teams have hidden injuries
    2) Historically, team sky have liked to dominate in races leading up the TdF

What if:
    1) Team Sky are really worried about Froome's fitness
    2) Team Sky don't yet know what to do Plan B for the Tour - Porte or Wiggins?

If I was in charge, I would be sending my best riders to compete with the best and try to figure out what is the best "Plan B".

I cannot think of another reason for sending Wiggins to Tirreno-Adriatico, especially given Porte-Froome-Wiggins are all due to race at Catalunya in a couple of weeks.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4089
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #759 on: March 10, 2014, 11:45 »
    but why wouldnt they keep Porte at PN and let Wiggo do TA ... still does the same thing?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #760 on: March 10, 2014, 11:58 »
    TA is where Sky's A team is racing. Thus, now Froome is gone they can give Porte/maybe Wiggo valuable experience in racing and leading the A team.

Nevermind that TA has a much better course for any GC contender at least in Sky's eyes and therefore it would have been their first choice for sending their GC contender to. Unfortunately they had Froome there already and thus wanted to give Porte leadership which meant sending him originally to Paris Nice.

Porte is no doubt the Plan B imo for Sky. He is the up and coming GC rider and I highly doubt Wiggins is any shape to compete for a Grand Tour.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2509
    « Reply #761 on: March 10, 2014, 11:58 »
    Because the two punchy hills and a crazy Nibbles descend that are going to decide PN ( :P ) are not really comparable to the TT and mountains that will decide TA. Having the two of them ride the same parcours makes it easier to compare. Also let's face it, neither of Wiggo and Porte stands a chance in PN while both of them have a chance of winning TA.

I wonder how Froome will deal with this, last year he indeed won almost everything in spring stage races. He was well under way at Oman, I think this is just a temporary setback and he'll be back to crushing the field at his next races, probably Criterium International.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #762 on: March 10, 2014, 12:01 »

Porte is no doubt the Plan B imo for Sky. He is the up and coming GC rider and I highly doubt Wiggins is any shape to compete for a Grand Tour.

But will that still be the case after Porte has competed for a tough Giro? Or will they pull him out of that Giro to focus on the Tour if there's any chance of Froome not making it?

I'm somewhat hoping for Wiggo to be the Sky leader at the Tour. It will be funny to see him go up against Nibali on some big climbs instead of the hills they did 2 years ago.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #763 on: March 10, 2014, 12:05 »
    But will that still be the case after Porte has competed for a tough Giro? Or will they pull him out of that Giro to focus on the Tour if there's any chance of Froome not making it?
    And that is why they have to act swiftly..   ;)

I don't know what will happen, but I do know that Sky will never compromise the Tour for anything (well to a reasonable degree, otherwise they wouldn't be sending Porte in the first place).
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #764 on: March 10, 2014, 12:08 »
    Wasn´t JTL injuried in September 2013 and that is why he did not ride worlds ?

:lol
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4089
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #765 on: March 10, 2014, 12:10 »
    :rofl:
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 842
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #766 on: March 10, 2014, 13:07 »

I'm somewhat hoping for Wiggo to be the Sky leader at the Tour. It will be funny to see him go up against Nibali on some big climbs instead of the hills they did 2 years ago.
    isn't Nibali supposed to be even better at hills? 2nd in liege, 3rd in msr that year etc

if it was his forte the hills he lost on 2 years ago I fear for him in the mountains  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #767 on: March 10, 2014, 13:14 »
    :rofl:

What is for sure is that if Team Sky are trying to keep anything quiet, Brailsford has learnt nothing from the JTL case and will be in serious trouble with the sponsors.

If fact, if I remember correctly on the SkySports News special where it featured Froome's Skype calls to his partner during the Tour de France, there was one where he had made a nest on the floor and was complaining of back problems.

• ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #768 on: March 10, 2014, 13:20 »
    Froome was in crazy peak form in Oman already, 6,5w/kg - 6,7w/kg estimates. Im pretty sure thats why hes not riding, else he'll hold on to that crazy peak form and misstime his peak later in the season. Back injuries are a nice cover up for that, atleast thats what I guess is happening.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #769 on: March 10, 2014, 13:38 »
    isn't Nibali supposed to be even better at hills? 2nd in liege, 3rd in msr that year etc

if it was his forte the hills he lost on 2 years ago I fear for him in the mountains  ;)

But this Nibali is with the Vino team, different Nibali from 2 years ago. He'll crush them all, no matter where: hills, mountains, descents, flats, time trials, in bed, sprints, at the dinner table...
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #770 on: March 10, 2014, 16:34 »
    Froome was in crazy peak form in Oman already, 6,5w/kg - 6,7w/kg estimates. Im pretty sure thats why hes not riding, else he'll hold on to that crazy peak form and misstime his peak later in the season. Back injuries are a nice cover up for that, atleast thats what I guess is happening.
    Froome is Kerrison's pet. He does what Kerrison and the Tennerife folk tell him, if he is told to drop his form and go low then that is what he will do.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 665
    « Reply #771 on: March 10, 2014, 21:22 »

that's a long shot, but if Froome's injury turns to be worst, Sky needs to have a shot at the Tour anyway, that's the main race. so Porte being pulled out of the Giro came to my mind too as soon as I heard of Froome's back problems.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #772 on: March 11, 2014, 10:43 »
    Interest alternative theory of Richie Porte switch (which Bruyneel retweeted)

http://jorgequintanaorti.com/?p=248 (in Spanish)

Basically:
    - most teams fed up with ASO who refuse to share (or even discuss) sharing the TV rights pot
    - no-one wants to miss the Tdf
    - everyone wants to assist and enhance RCS (who are willing to share pot)
    - hence the hierarchy #1 RCS #2 ASO (except for the TdF)
    - and that is why the best riders are in Italy

Something else I noticed:
    - the Tirreno-Adriatico highlights are on Sky as well as Eurosport.
    - without Wiggins or Froome the race has little appeal to the non-hardcore cycling fan.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #773 on: March 11, 2014, 10:50 »
    What's wrong with the obvious explanation that P-N doesn't suit Porte and the only reason he was doing it was because Froome was doing T-A? And Froome's withdrawal makes the switch a no-brainer?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #774 on: March 11, 2014, 11:08 »
    What's wrong with the obvious explanation that P-N doesn't suit Porte and the only reason he was doing it was because Froome was doing T-A? And Froome's withdrawal makes the switch a no-brainer?

do you leave you tin hat at home today :D

I think that is kind of what they told the ASO fwiw
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #775 on: March 11, 2014, 11:12 »
    That is what I am buying with regard to Porte switch.

I still can't figure out the Wiggins switch.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #776 on: March 11, 2014, 11:14 »
    That is what I am buying with regard to Porte switch.

I still can't figure out the Wiggins switch.

time trails and weight loss was my idea.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #777 on: March 11, 2014, 11:32 »
    Beat me to it. The TTs become more important because Porte can't compete on the steep ramps.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #778 on: March 11, 2014, 11:48 »

I'm now thinking Wiggins will now not race Catalunya, instead it will be Froome and Henao.

Sky can't risk Wiggins beating (or at least knowing he is the equal of) Crocked Back and re-opening the Tour leadership can of worms ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #779 on: March 11, 2014, 12:15 »
    I'm now thinking Wiggins will now not race Catalunya, instead it will be Froome and Henao.

Sky can't risk Wiggins beating (or at least knowing he is the equal of) Crocked Back and re-opening the Tour leadership can of worms ;)
    I could be wrong but given Wiggins' form in Andalucia, there's as much chance of Kenny Van Hummel beating Froome.
  • ReplyReply

•