collapse

froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2048
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #780 on: March 12, 2014, 18:40 »
The size of the gaps is a surprise, Porte starts 27 seconds behind Uran and Kwiatkowski. I wonder where he would have finished without Wiggins...  :s

Interesting.. maybe another reason for the Wiggins move. However, it doesn't explain why he only was listed so late on.. unless they were concerned Richie would need a bit more time on his rivals in the TTT than :froomedog would :D
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #781 on: March 12, 2014, 20:23 »
    Wiggo to make a guest appearance on the Archers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thearchers/posts/Bradley-Wiggins-to-appear-in-The-Archers

Very iconic
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 664
    « Reply #782 on: March 16, 2014, 07:52 »
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #783 on: March 19, 2014, 14:36 »
    Geraint Thomas' latest BBC column, focusing on his crash at Paris - Nice.

The Beeb also has an interview with Shane Sutton, who thinks that G will lead Team Sky at the Tour de France one day.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13254
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #784 on: March 20, 2014, 21:44 »
    was thinking about posting this in the dark side, but I think we better start over here, maybe there is a logical explanation

Stannard did not start in the Tirreno TT (without notice) - that's not too unusual though in case he was preparing for MSR - but now he is not on the start list for Milano Sanremo as well.

any reason for that? Plenty of "sick" or "injured" riders at Sky being swapped out of races on short notice at the moment...

he was 14th the stage before he left Tirreno, so that does not look like he was fatally ill...
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #785 on: March 20, 2014, 21:54 »
    I don't know what is going on:
    - thomas is racing even thoughmhe admits he is not 100% afer his pn crash
    - eddie is racing even though he pulled out of pn
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #786 on: March 20, 2014, 22:04 »
    They sure have pressure to win a monument. Just imagine one of those two get in a break and make it to the finish and win. It could be a much easier route to winning a monument than having to try and defeat Sagan, Cancellara and Boonen. Not to mention they just lost one of their best hopes for an Ardennes win.

But yes all very confusing, haven't heard anything,.. and fishy  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #787 on: March 20, 2014, 22:51 »
    I think Stannard is just pulled to refocus and prepare for flanders and roubaix. MSR is pretty much going to be no day at the races for sky unless they get lucky. EBH isnt 100%, and with thomas not 100% theres no real point Stan slogging his guts out for nothing.

I think Sky have basically written off MSR

Its also slightly possible that Stan might be going to Catalunya. Of their team due for Catalunya it includes Froome (back) Porte (possibly Ill) so they may send Stan the mountain goat as Thomas and EBH arent fit enough to do a stage race.

The other more likely is that Stans being given a break to get ready for Dwars, where with Thomas not fully fit, he may have to play a bigger role.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13254
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #788 on: March 20, 2014, 23:04 »
    yeh, it's possible, although he still came 6th last year and it's not too unlikely it will be selective again.

but you may be right, I can't really see this initially having been a target for Stannard with the originally planed more hilly parcours - and Gilbert said a couple of days ago you couldn't win MSR with a couple of weeks of preparation like Cav (Gilbert himself is preparing specifically since November), so Stannard might just stick to his original schedule.

In case he doesn't do DDV as well we can still move this to the dark side ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #789 on: March 20, 2014, 23:33 »
    Thomas has the potential to be part of a selection over the Poggio if there are attacks, of course we don't know how badly his crash will slow him down.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #790 on: March 21, 2014, 00:18 »
    worth noting sky have pulled all their squad lists for the upcoming races from the website.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #791 on: March 21, 2014, 08:51 »
    I'm being driven crazy with the twitter frenzy on VO2max.

This sums it up for me:

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/210737951951429634

Whenever I have seen Kerriston discussing performance, it is always about Power/Lactate/Time Curves.

This was highlighted in Bradley Wiggins "Year in Yellow" - when they were comparing 2011 vs 2012.

It is a classic example of people on the internet/twitter asking the wrong question (and probably the Team Sky coaches laughing at the questions.)

They should be asking for Wiggins/Froome's/whoevers power curves.

Even back in 2011, Wiggins explained to Birnie that power/lactate was the measurement they were concentrating on.

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/news-and-comment/wiggins-and-sky-a-different-route-to-the-tour/

But now we’re doing lab testing periodically every six weeks and we do a threshold test that lasts about an hour. It ramps up and they take lactate levels, we’re doing acclimatisation work, which I didn’t do last year. So everything is tested and recorded so we know exactly where I am. We did one recently and my lactate levels were ridiculously low for a given power, which was 475 watts, and that is evidence. We’ve got this data to back it up so you go out into the field feeling confident. So the doubts aren’t there. I’ve never done that in the past.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #792 on: March 21, 2014, 15:57 »
    wiggins swapping catalunya for 2-week block of mountain goating

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17546_9224348,00.html

hmmm, sky getting nervous about tour climbers?
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4023
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #793 on: March 21, 2014, 23:42 »
    hmm

Explaining the new focus, Wiggins added: “We’ve now changed the programme in order to ensure that I keep moving forward. Having spoken to the coaches we’ve decided that I’d benefit a lot more from a couple of weeks of hard training to work on my climbing before coming back for Paris-Roubaix – all with a view to being in good form for the Tour of California, the Dauphine and making the Tour team.”

so he is going to do hard mountain training in preperation for .... Paris Roubaix     :S   :S    :S

Who wants to bet he pulls out of PR ?????
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #794 on: March 21, 2014, 23:57 »
    Wiggins wont ride Roubaix. it was all just pr.. :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7616
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #795 on: March 21, 2014, 23:59 »
    Wiggins wont ride Roubaix. it was all just pr.. :D
    Ruddy motherflipping idiots (if what you're saying is true). :angry

Paris-Roubaix (well, any monument, but this one in particular) is not a race you announce you'll prepare for and ride to win (or try to win) only to then withdraw after getting some PR love.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #796 on: March 22, 2014, 00:12 »
    Ruddy motherflipping idiots (if what you're saying is true). :angry

Paris-Roubaix (well, any monument, but this one in particular) is not a race you announce you'll prepare for and ride to win (or try to win) only to then withdraw after getting some PR love.

Sort of silly PR too, as Sky basically only care about the Tour because that is all Britain will see. Really a weak PR move. I mean cycling fans would like it, but now be disappointed. Non cycling Wiggins fans will be like "What is Roubaix?" I mean hardly a successful campaign. Maybe some of the non cycling Wiggins fans will now watch Roubaix, but what is the chance Sky wins? Good luck Stannard.
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 406
    • Awards: New Member of the Year 2013
    « Reply #797 on: March 22, 2014, 09:33 »
    I'm being driven crazy with the twitter frenzy on VO2max.

Whenever I have seen Kerriston discussing performance, it is always about Power/Lactate/Time Curves.

The twitter frenzy about Vo2 max may come from Doc at Veloclinic (and others) and his power duration model(s) which builds on Vo2 max/predicting Vo2max.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Emma is Queen of consistency" Peloton Watch

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #798 on: March 26, 2014, 10:55 »
    Should we read anything into the 'collapse' of Sky at TA and PN? Porte was decent in the first TA mountain stage but didn't set the world on fire either - certainly not a performance of a person who is going to beat Rodriguez and Quintana at the Giro. Nieve did what would be expected of him but nothing more. At PN meanwhile, Thomas did well enough but crashed out while the rest of the team were not exactly dominating.

Sure Froome is missing, but it's a far cry from the team-wide domination of last spring races. Did the others catch up darkside or otherwise, did Sky do something wrong, or is it just bad luck and will they be back to dominating starting in Spain next week?
    Well something's going horribly wrong. Since Slow Rider asked this on the darkside thread we've had the Henao situation, we've had Porte selected for Catalunya and then failing to get home in the first (sprint stage), and Stannard missing MSR (what could he have done for Swift and Puccio?) while an injured Thomas raced (and failed to contribute). Then we have the lack of rider lists until the morning of Dwars door Vlaanderen, and when it appears, the guy who shone in San Remo, Swift, has been sent to Settimana Coppi e Bartali.

Post Merge: March 26, 2014, 17:35
    Sky appear to have started Dwars door Vlaanderen with 6 despite only putting the 8 on the website that morning. EBH and Eisel were missing I think.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 17:35 by Capt_Cavman, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #799 on: March 28, 2014, 17:30 »
    well. things not going so bad for Sky, Kennaugh wins in Italy after attacking uphill and Thomas gets the podium in E3. they're slowly getting back, while Porte heals and Froome improves his form.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #800 on: March 31, 2014, 10:26 »
    well. things not going so bad for Sky, Kennaugh wins in Italy after attacking uphill and Thomas gets the podium in E3. they're slowly getting back, while Porte heals and Froome improves his form.
    To be fair, they've not had a lot to beat in Italy with Ulissi off form. Which is interesting in itself as Sky haven't been doing much beating up the locals in recent years. Maybe it shows a slight change in emphasis, giving domestiques a chance for glory.

It was also interesting to see Cataldo working for Kennaugh. A while ago I was accused of mislaying my tin-foil hat but it's firmly back in place now as I wonder if the inability to sign the Yates brothers has caused a rethink with more opportunities for glory spread wider about the team. I'm sure that when the Yates brothers were looking at Sky, Peter Kennaugh's footsteps would have been the ones they saw themselves following and it didn't look much fun. That was not only Kennaugh's first pro win, it was virtually the first time he's been in contention for one with maybe the Route du Sud in 2011 being the other.
  • ReplyReply

• al_pacino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 93
    « Reply #801 on: March 31, 2014, 15:03 »
    To be fair, they've not had a lot to beat in Italy with Ulissi off form. Which is interesting in itself as Sky haven't been doing much beating up the locals in recent years. Maybe it shows a slight change in emphasis, giving domestiques a chance for glory.

It was also interesting to see Cataldo working for Kennaugh. A while ago I was accused of mislaying my tin-foil hat but it's firmly back in place now as I wonder if the inability to sign the Yates brothers has caused a rethink with more opportunities for glory spread wider about the team. I'm sure that when the Yates brothers were looking at Sky, Peter Kennaugh's footsteps would have been the ones they saw themselves following and it didn't look much fun. That was not only Kennaugh's first pro win, it was virtually the first time he's been in contention for one with maybe the Route du Sud in 2011 being the other.

Probably some truth in that, not many youngsters sign with a team with the ambition to be a domestique for the next 15 years.

However in a interview i read on CN it seems Sky were only interested in Simon Yates and they wanted to stay together.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #802 on: March 31, 2014, 16:39 »
    Probably some truth in that, not many youngsters sign with a team with the ambition to be a domestique for the next 15 years.

However in a interview i read on CN it seems Sky were only interested in Simon Yates and they wanted to stay together.
    Also Kennaugh was originally labelled as the potential first British Tour winner thing. Sky always considered him a huge talent and now maybe the time that they start to develop that talent and provide him with vital leadership experience. His British roots and his supposed talent would make him a perfect contender for the next big 'thing' if Thomas doesn't get there before him.

Sky have definitely changed their results pattern this year, maybe showing a shift of focus but I believe it is too early to tell. They definitely have not dominated the stage races as of yet, in the manner in which they dominated. Even Froome's Oman win wasn't a cruise and by this time last year they had already won Paris Nice, Tirreno and Criterium International in addition to Oman. Their heavy approach to stage racing may have been a conscious alteration as they realised that in particular their domestiques.. Kiri, Lopez etc. suffered when it came to the Tour last year after their peak form in the early stage races. Obviously there is a lot of poor results in there as well, but that explains some of it.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #803 on: March 31, 2014, 20:03 »
    Ian Stannard will not race Flanders and Roubaix after his fall in GW  :( he injured one vertebrae
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4023
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #804 on: April 01, 2014, 00:43 »
    Also Kennaugh was originally labelled as the potential first British Tour winner thing. Sky always considered him a huge talent and now maybe the time that they start to develop that talent and provide him with vital leadership experience. His British roots and his supposed talent would make him a perfect contender for the next big 'thing' if Thomas doesn't get there before him.

Sky have definitely changed their results pattern this year, maybe showing a shift of focus but I believe it is too early to tell. They definitely have not dominated the stage races as of yet, in the manner in which they dominated. Even Froome's Oman win wasn't a cruise and by this time last year they had already won Paris Nice, Tirreno and Criterium International in addition to Oman. Their heavy approach to stage racing may have been a conscious alteration as they realised that in particular their domestiques.. Kiri, Lopez etc. suffered when it came to the Tour last year after their peak form in the early stage races. Obviously there is a lot of poor results in there as well, but that explains some of it.

Actually Nibbles won Tirreno ... but your point is well made.

Sky not having an easy time of it this year.  Will be interesting to see how they deal with challenges
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #805 on: April 01, 2014, 15:53 »
    Funny interview with Sean Sutton (mainly about Wiggo)

http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/sutton-i-used-to-criticise-wiggo-for-lack-of-work-ethic

1) Wiggo basically never did anything on the road before 2009 because he was lazy
    2) Thinks Wiggo would have won tdf in 2011 as well as 2012
    3) Doesn't seem 100% convinced that he is currently "on-track"
    4) Biggest objective is Tour of California not Flanders.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11191
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #806 on: April 07, 2014, 17:15 »
    Blah blah wiggo blah  and ps little Ritchie will not ride the Giro http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17546_9254206,00.html
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3033
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #807 on: April 07, 2014, 18:00 »
    The wheels are falling off the Sky stage racing bus.
    Nobody capable of genuinely leading a GT team.
    They haven't got a top of the line sprinter.
    So, all on Kiriyenka to pull his solo stage stunt.

Worse still is the Spanish resurgence.
    So, all their eggs have to go into the TDF basket, but currently the chickens are all sickly.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11191
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #808 on: April 07, 2014, 18:56 »
    Tuesday after Roubaix

Wiggo to lead Team sky at the Giro

you heard it hear 1st
  • ReplyReply

• SadlyWiggins

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 5
    • Road MTB TT
    « Reply #809 on: April 07, 2014, 20:44 »

Just a bit of sky-lage you may find amusing (warning its about Football)
  • ReplyReply
  • Road Bike and TT Bike Hire Stafford England
    www.d2ride.co.uk

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2020: Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards by LukasCPH
    [January 24, 2020, 20:30]

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by Joelsim
    [January 24, 2020, 19:45]

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by search
    [January 24, 2020, 19:41]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Joelsim
    [January 24, 2020, 18:59]