collapse

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1396
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #810 on: April 10, 2014, 13:30 »
Wiggo playing the role of perfect team member saying all the right things...

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/15264/9258530/sir-bradley-wiggins-targeting-paris-roubaix
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2050
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #811 on: April 10, 2014, 16:59 »
    Sebastien Henao to do Giro for Sky

There are great leaders of the team, but trust in the possibilities of Snow. "Mikel is a great runner, has experience, knows the route, and has already proved on the first day," warns Henao.

It is still undefined in its first year on the European cycling and the WorldTour. "These races, such as the Basque Country, I really like, five, six days, I think I performed well. I have peace, moreover, that if I have to play some Large races I've done two weeks in Colombia. Step your day to day. "

His next race will be the Giro del Trentino. "You may have the opportunity to be the Giro d'Italia. Start in my first year would be something magnificent. It is not fully realized, but hopefully do well and also do well in the Giro, "he says.

Sebastien Henao being thrown in at the deep end. No expectations, but it won't be easy.

Also one insignificant line on his cousin:

"He is quiet and hopefully soon race is"
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4089
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #812 on: April 11, 2014, 00:56 »
    hmmmm       :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #813 on: April 11, 2014, 02:19 »
    Sir Dave Brailsford quits performance director job at British Cycling

Formalizing what was already a fait accompli, and drawing the curtain on an era of almost unparalleled dominance in track cycling for Great Britain.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #814 on: April 11, 2014, 08:16 »
    Sad news about Brailsford, but I suppose it was inevitable.

This is more interesting to me:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/shane-sutton-british-cycling-has-gone-stale-9252670.html

Before then, Wiggins has this season to face after last year's frustrations. Will he and Chris Froome ride the Tour de France, with its glorious British Grand Depart, together? "Do you want me to bullsh*t you or tell you the truth?" replies Sutton and grins disarmingly. "Do I see Chris and him riding together? I would hope so. But I'm not so sure. Brad has to roll his sleeves up and get the work done and get in that team – being in Britain, he wants to make the Tour.

"That Tour team really is Froome's team – he's the current holder and there's a lot of faith in him at Team Sky. They will put the best riders available on the grid for Chris to win the Tour come July and I'm not sure whether Brad is going to be on that list. Only Brad can say that by winning big races and showing the team he is worthy of his place."

I am not sure whether Sutton is implying that:
    1) Wiggins form says that he won't make the squad; or
    2) Chris Froome has veto over final selections and therefore Wiggins won't make the squad.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3276
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #815 on: April 11, 2014, 08:23 »
    Sir Dave Brailsford quits performance director job at British Cycling

Formalizing what was already a fait accompli, and drawing the curtain on an era of almost unparalleled dominance in track cycling for Great Britain.

Which is only reason why I'm not happy about this.
    On the up side: If Sky do sink off the back of a major doping bust, he gets to go down with only the one ship.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #816 on: April 11, 2014, 10:19 »
    Which is only reason why I'm not happy about this.
    On the up side: If Sky do sink off the back of a major doping bust, he gets to go down with only the one ship.
    Forgive me for asking as I know you have a personal interest in one of the projects, but are you 100% confident it would be that way round?
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #817 on: April 11, 2014, 10:48 »
    Forgive me for asking as I know you have a personal interest in one of the projects, but are you 100% confident it would be that way round?

The personal interest now extends to 3 areas of BC, but the main is certainly the track.
    No PI in Sky.
    Not sure if your are asking whether or not the whole BC set up would crumble, were Sky to implode,
    or questioning the probability of another BC area taking a doping hit first.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #818 on: April 11, 2014, 10:49 »
    Peters also gone from British Cycling, but will hang around helping to recruit and setup new team.

Brailsford doing a Fergie and hanging around for "help, advice and support" (if needed)

http://www.teamgb.com/news/brailsford-steps-down-british-cycling-announce-changes
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #819 on: April 11, 2014, 10:55 »
    The personal interest now extends to 3 areas of BC, but the main is certainly the track.
    No PI in Sky.
    Not sure if your are asking whether or not the whole BC set up would crumble, were Sky to implode,
    or questioning the probability of another BC area taking a doping hit first.
    The latter.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #820 on: April 11, 2014, 11:17 »
    The latter.

Obviously, there is always the chance of a rogue rider, but I would say, given all I know, that the odds are very unlikely.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11386
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #821 on: April 11, 2014, 11:28 »
    You have to ask how much pressure was there from Sky or bskyb or whatever it is called and the track people for DB to move away.

Does this increase or decrease the chance of bskyb pulling sponsorship from the road team ?
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #822 on: April 11, 2014, 17:01 »
    so niiiiiice win for Swift!  :cool it took me a while to see who the Sky rider in the fron group was, I thought it was Earle. even nicer win, otherwise we'd get another Valverde stage win, meh.
    Would Sky have preferred that Swift finished out the back and Nieve in the front pack? And Kennaugh and Kyrienka forced out   yesterday due to fatigue.

Swift's performance is a silver lining, but that's a massive dark cloud with the Giro just round the corner.

I know it's all a bit doom and gloomy, but when it comes to Sky's sudden stage race implosion I do feel quite gloomy and uh doomy.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #823 on: April 12, 2014, 08:30 »
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #824 on: April 12, 2014, 10:32 »
    Would Sky have preferred that Swift finished out the back and Nieve in the front pack? And Kennaugh and Kyrienka forced out   yesterday due to fatigue.

Swift's performance is a silver lining, but that's a massive dark cloud with the Giro just round the corner.

I know it's all a bit doom and gloomy, but when it comes to Sky's sudden stage race implosion I do feel quite gloomy and uh doomy.

Kiryenka abandoning through fatigue? This time last year, he looked indestructible with infinite power and stamina.

There are now so many abandons and injury problems, I can only deduce that Sky are trying something new in training and preparation.

I'm still totally clueless as to who will be in the Tour team, but given what has happened this spring, I think Sky will place all their bets on the Tour and send a very second rate team to the Giro.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #825 on: April 12, 2014, 11:55 »
    Kiryenka abandoning through fatigue? This time last year, he looked indestructible with infinite power and stamina.

There are now so many abandons and injury problems, I can only deduce that Sky are trying something new in training and preparation.

I'm still totally clueless as to who will be in the Tour team, but given what has happened this spring, I think Sky will place all their bets on the Tour and send a very second rate team to the Giro.
    I was assuming the Giro team is this team that has done the Basque Country and Coppi e Bartali
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #826 on: April 14, 2014, 15:40 »
    Anybody remember this time last year (or more precisely when Wiggo turned up for the Giro start) -

- Wiggo opened up a huge can of worms when he said he would win the Giro and then Sky could pick who was going to be leader at the TdF
    - Froome replied with some sterile politically correct stuff
    - Cound tweeted that Froome would be leader and Wiggins wouldn't be on the start line (tweets now deleted)
    - Brailsford gave out some management speak "As always the team selection is a management decision and it will be evidence-based."
    - Robert Millar blogged that in signing a new contract Froome insisted on sole leadership and no Wiggins for TdF13 (and received a lot of criticism for saying it)

Now spring forward 12 months and both Shane Sutton and Wiggins have more or less admitted that Froome has at worst some sort of veto and at best input into the decision about the Tour riders.

Froome has to play this carefully. No-one in UK will understand if Wiggins is fit and is left out of the Tour team. No amount of explanation wound hide the obvious that it would be petty and vindicative. Froome and Brailsford would get hammered in the UK press. If Brailsford has given his best rider a veto over team selection then it is a incredibly poor and short sighted decision.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #827 on: April 14, 2014, 19:56 »
    Froome has to play this carefully. No-one in UK will understand if Wiggins is fit and is left out of the Tour team. No amount of explanation wound hide the obvious that it would be petty and vindicative. Froome and Brailsford would get hammered in the UK press. If Brailsford has given his best rider a veto over team selection then it is a incredibly poor and short sighted decision.

It makes sense if you ask me, I think it will be a mess, unless Froome feels he can trust in Wiggins completely I think you don't bring him. If they have to make up some PR BS to save face in the press they will do that. The problem is what happens when Wiggins is still at +0.00ish and Froome is dropped on the cobbles? does Wiggins wait? I think it is a situration of rather safe than sorry, and bringing EBH instead might suit Froome better.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #828 on: April 16, 2014, 12:55 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boasson-hagen-considering-his-future-at-team-sky

So, agent doing his job and looking at options turns into Eddie is leaving...

More interesting:
    - Eddie to Giro (probably indicates Sky to go stage hunting rather than fight for GC)
    - Eddie's agent is Sky's Norwegian agent in terms of looking for talent (none signed)

My thought is that if Sky didn't work out for Eddie, it is extremely unlikely anywhere else would - although I'm sure that Garmin would take the risk and give him lots of TLC.

Eddie plus Sagan at Cannondale would solve a lot of problems, but the language seems to rule it out.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #829 on: April 16, 2014, 13:00 »
    Sky isnt for everyone though, and I dont think Sky have done Eddie any favours actually.   It obviously hasnt been working for him for some time now ... so I think a change of scene would be a good thing for him.

Why does it need to be english speaking?   other riders go to foreign teams and learn the language ....
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #830 on: April 16, 2014, 13:08 »
    No sure about the English angle, but it one of the criteria listed by his agent:

Birger Hungerholdt told Verdens Gang that Boasson Hagen is happy at Team Sky but listed the criteria any new team has to offer his client. These included peace of mind, good teammates, an English speaking team, a good programme and the chance to ride for himself in some races.

Peace of Mind = long contract?
    Good Teammates = buddies - Nordhaug/Kristoff/Hushovd??
    Good Programme = must be World Tour level?
    Chances = leader at 1-day races??
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2509
    « Reply #831 on: April 16, 2014, 13:11 »
    My thought is that if Sky didn't work out for Eddie, it is extremely unlikely anywhere else would - although I'm sure that Garmin would take the risk and give him lots of TLC.

I disagree. Sky is a perfect team to get the best out of some riders, but it doesn't work for everyone. It's very much possible that Sky's training methods don't work for EBH. And having to focus on riding GTs in support of others doesn't do him any favours either. A different team could allow him the freedom to develop into a different direction. Many have said for years he needs to move on because he hasn't developed at all in his time at Sky.

Should be some teams that would be interested in signing him. Trek as support for Cancellara perhaps? English language, decent enough budget and could really use him. Tinkoff has the money, but that might leave him supporting GC riders again. Katusha as replacement for Kristoff should he leave, or BMC as they are always looking for overpaid underperforming riders to add to their collection. Belkin perhaps if they find the budget, could work.

Should be plenty of teams interested, but his wages may be a bit of a problem..
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #832 on: April 16, 2014, 13:14 »
    I disagree. Sky is a perfect team to get the best out of some riders, but it doesn't work for everyone. It's very much possible that Sky's training methods don't work for EBH. And having to focus on riding GTs in support of others doesn't do him any favours either. A different team could allow him the freedom to develop into a different direction. Many have said for years he needs to move on because he hasn't developed at all in his time at Sky.

Should be some teams that would be interested in signing him. Trek as support for Cancellara perhaps? English language, decent enough budget and could really use him. Tinkoff has the money, but that might leave him supporting GC riders again. Katusha as replacement for Kristoff should he leave, or BMC as they are always looking for overpaid underperforming riders to add to their collection. Belkin perhaps if they find the budget, could work.

:rofl:    :win
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #833 on: April 16, 2014, 13:20 »
    If a team could convince him to move Monaco rather than high tax Norway then problem solved ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #834 on: April 16, 2014, 14:01 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boasson-hagen-considering-his-future-at-team-sky

So, agent doing his job and looking at options turns into Eddie is leaving...

More interesting:
    - Eddie to Giro (probably indicates Sky to go stage hunting rather than fight for GC)
    - Eddie's agent is Sky's Norwegian agent in terms of looking for talent (none signed)

Eddie plus Sagan at Cannondale would solve a lot of problems, but the language seems to rule it out.
    '

That is just silly Keith at HTC he was on the up and Up ready to smash cycling apart

Then came Sky and basically except for 2 weeks when Sky TDF feel apart and he won stages he has been a shell of himself

I think he could do well again at another team

My Guess would be Greenedge as I said in the transfers thread
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 665
    « Reply #835 on: April 17, 2014, 17:02 »
    No sure about the English angle, but it one of the criteria listed by his agent:

Peace of Mind = long contract?
    Good Teammates = buddies - Nordhaug/Kristoff/Hushovd??
    Good Programme = must be World Tour level?
    Chances = leader at 1-day races??

Hushovd contract with BMC ends this year. he'll be 37 next year, he cloud be a kind of Gabba (Rasch) and move to Sky and look after EBH.
    I'd love Thor to Sky
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #836 on: April 18, 2014, 01:25 »
    I dont know that Thor and EBH like each other that much though?  do they?

I remember some tension in the national team (but that may have just been who was to be leader...not sure)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #837 on: April 18, 2014, 05:42 »
    There was some national team stress, but EBHnused to look up to Thor and Thor tried to help him a couple of years ago.

Can't see Thor at Sky fwiw
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #838 on: April 24, 2014, 09:49 »
    Richie has penned another "insight":

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/richie-porte/ready-for-return-to-racing-at-liege-and-romandie

My thoughts:

1. It does seem that Richie himself rather than management decided to withdraw from the Giro for the greater good (supporting Froome at the TdF)
    2. Sky got booted from "their" hotel on Teide halfway through the stay. No sure if this is because another team was better organised, offered more money or Sky are just a pain in the neck.
    3. Froome "flying" again in training. Big difference between training and flying in races (see Contador and Valverde)
    4. Porte seems to be using negative views of teams prospects as a positive, which is good.
    5. No mention of the big "W"
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7731
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #839 on: April 25, 2014, 05:28 »
    2. Sky got booted from "their" hotel on Teide halfway through the stay. No sure if this is because another team was better organised, offered more money or Sky are just a pain in the neck.
    Woah, what would you have to do to get that? :o
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean