collapse

Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
  • Liked: 478
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #840 on: April 26, 2014, 15:03 »
What has happened to Sky... Rod Ellingworth claimed an objective was to perform beyond July, but what about pre-July?  The Giro squad, with a home nation start, does not look capable of being that competitive in any of the jerseys?  For a team paying GC contender wages to three riders it is incredible that none of the three will start in Belfast, and unlikely the trio will be seen in the Vuelta.  It was great to see Wiggo's turn in P-R, and pre-injury Stannard' OHN win but save the TDF what is the point of Sky Pro Cycling at present?
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #841 on: April 26, 2014, 17:24 »
    Let us see froome v nibz next week in Switzerland

• ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #842 on: April 26, 2014, 20:40 »
    A few Websites are listing Sky as having only 7 starters for LBL tomorrow. Does anyone else think thats pretty poor that one of the biggest teams in the world can't have a complete team at one of the biggest races of the year.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #843 on: April 26, 2014, 20:48 »
    A few Websites are listing Sky as having only 7 starters for LBL tomorrow. Does anyone else think thats pretty poor that one of the biggest teams in the world can't have a complete team at one of the biggest races of the year.

pee Poor. They only had 6 at FW as well.

It looks like Kennaugh has dropped out for whatever reason...
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #844 on: April 26, 2014, 22:21 »
    Don't think Nibz is racing Romandie Keith..

Also Sky are facing a slight crisis at the moment with injuries, coupled with Rasch's retirement (which they knew about), Henao ban etc and if Kennaugh had to miss the race they obviously didn't want to over race another rider in his place when the team is on the brink or so.

Their performances in the stage races this year have been disappointing, I enjoyed Thomas's go at Paris Nice, but asides from that no one else has stepped up to fill the gap left by Froome, Henao, Uran or Porte sometimes.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #845 on: April 27, 2014, 00:06 »
    Wiggins says hes in perfect shape to support Froome at the tour

• ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #846 on: April 27, 2014, 00:25 »

And whats going to happen when teh UCI get their way and teams are restricted to 20 riders with a seperate development squad?

Sky have 8 listed
    Ian Boswell, Nathan Earle, Josh Edmondson, Chris Froome, Peter Kennaugh, David López, Danny Pate, Richie Porte

Dont know why Kennaugh isnt appearing on startlists.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    « Reply #847 on: April 27, 2014, 07:45 »
    And whats going to happen when teh UCI get their way and teams are restricted to 20 riders with a seperate development squad?

Sky have 8 listed
    Ian Boswell, Nathan Earle, Josh Edmondson, Chris Froome, Peter Kennaugh, David López, Danny Pate, Richie Porte

If the squads are cut to 20 it'll be ridiculous. Would probably mean a team like Sky wouldn't ride at a race like Trentino which would be a shame as its a good race or it would be the development team there.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #848 on: April 27, 2014, 09:39 »

Sky have 8 listed

Down to 6 now.. as posted in the LBL thread:
    http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,30569_9285765,00.html

Pete Kennaugh was also unable to start the race due to an unrelated illness, while Vasil Kiryienka has also been forced out of the upcoming WorldTour race in Romandie, starting on Tuesday.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 664
    « Reply #849 on: April 27, 2014, 22:41 »
    Pablo Arbeláez ‏@PARbelaezR  · 20 min 
    Asegura Revista Mundo Ciclistico que Sergio Luis Henao volveria a la competición con motivo del Tour de Suiza y preparar el Tour de Francia.

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/16372-exclusivo-rmc-sergio-luis-henao-en-colombia-espero-volver-a-correr-muy-pronto-suiza-y-el-tour-metas-inmediatas-video.html
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 664
    « Reply #850 on: April 28, 2014, 16:52 »
    CJ Sutton coming back from knee injury got a late call and will start in Romandie tomorrow
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13239
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #851 on: April 29, 2014, 09:50 »
    keith-style round-up of the Froome interview in l'Equipe today...

- had to take antibiotics but stopped a week ago

- always has problems with his chest. his back is better though, no more pain at the moment, did work with the physio every day on Tenerife

- lost 1,5kg during altitude training

- a win would be good for the team at this point of the season, but there is no pressure

- there were so many teams on Mt Teide that Hotel Parador was full, they had to sleep 500m lower. They went back up there in the 2nd week. It did not affect his training though

- power output is about the same as last year, even slightly better. he is absolutely there where he should be in preparation for the tour
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #852 on: April 29, 2014, 10:06 »
    Strange that he can ride after being out with a chest infection two days ago..
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #853 on: April 29, 2014, 10:14 »
    - lost 1,5kg during altitude training

He surely doesn't have 1.5kg to lose! It scares me - and it is bound to affect his health in general, and his ability to recover from illness and injury.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #854 on: April 29, 2014, 10:18 »
    "Mes chiffres à ce moment de la saison sont les mêmes que l’an passé, voire mieux. J’ai aussi perdu un kilo et demi pendant ce stage, ce qui est aussi bon signe. Il me reste à peu près pareil à perdre d’ici à juillet (où il sera à environ 66 kg). Sur le papier, je suis vraiment là où je devrais être en prévision du Tour de France."

my french isn't any good, but this sounds like he has lost 1 1/2 kilo and have to lose another 1 1/2 to reach is perfect weight of 66kg for the Tour, I think?!
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #855 on: April 29, 2014, 10:57 »
    "Mes chiffres à ce moment de la saison sont les mêmes que l’an passé, voire mieux. J’ai aussi perdu un kilo et demi pendant ce stage, ce qui est aussi bon signe. Il me reste à peu près pareil à perdre d’ici à juillet (où il sera à environ 66 kg). Sur le papier, je suis vraiment là où je devrais être en prévision du Tour de France."

my french isn't any good, but this sounds like he has lost 1 1/2 kilo and have to lose another 1 1/2 to reach is perfect weight of 66kg for the Tour, I think?!
    I used google translate and it also converted the kilos into pounds which is interesting. Maybe a proper human translation?

"My numbers at this time of the season are the same as last year or better. I also lost three pounds during this stage, which is also a good sign. I still have about the same to lose by July (where it is about 66 kg). on paper, I'm really where I should be ahead of the Tour de France. "

Apologies for finding google translate mildly more interesting right now. The way Sky's been this season, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Sky lining up with 6 at the start of the TdF with CJ Sutton leading the GC challenge.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #856 on: May 04, 2014, 19:25 »
    very interesting stuff from ferrari
    FROOME, PORTE and TEAM SKY : far too many and recurring health problems for the top riders in this team, who just last year were swapping places on the podium in all the stage races.
    Froome, already too skinny and performing in Oman, has shown issues related to his musculoskeletal system, whereas Porte forced himself to race even though still recovering, resulting in a long break and will miss the start in the Giro d' Italia .
    An overall lackluster performance of Team Sky in the classic then: Wiggins was the only good one with a respectable placement in Roubaix.

basically, too skinny means injuries...
  • ReplyReply

• George Ogden

« Reply #857 on: May 04, 2014, 21:15 »
    "An overall lackluster performance of Team Sky in the classic then: Wiggins was the only good one with a respectable placement in Roubaix."

So, Wiggins was the only good one with a respectable placement in Roubaix, yet actually managed to finish two places beyond Thomas who had being in a long break earlier, and who also finished 8th in Flanders (one place above Wiggins). Not intending to disparage Wiggins' effort in Roubaix, just suggesting it doesn't fill with confidence that Ferrari has his finger on the pulse.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    « Reply #858 on: May 05, 2014, 00:08 »
    basically, too skinny means injuries...

Yep. I can't think who it was but I remember someone once saying about pro cyclists in top condition something like "Being that fit is not actually healthy"
  • ReplyReply

• FatBoy

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 54
    « Reply #859 on: May 05, 2014, 13:34 »
    The way Porte and the rest of the team are suffering right now Froome had better start sucking up to Brad again. Might be the only team mate he has left unless the likes of Nieve and Porte find some form or they get Henao back riding
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #860 on: May 05, 2014, 13:42 »
    yeh, Henao's vacation in Colombian could turn out to be the key to have someone who is fresh for the Tour...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11190
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #861 on: May 06, 2014, 11:44 »
    Death star rumours episode 34532

Kennaugh was pulled from the Giro to cover little Ritchie at the tour.

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #862 on: May 06, 2014, 11:54 »
    Death star rumours episode 34532

Kennaugh was pulled from the Giro to cover little Ritchie at the tour.

When you put all your eggs in the Tour basket, it is best to ensure that they are fresh and not out-of-date ;)
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #863 on: May 06, 2014, 16:00 »
    OK, my theory is that Team Sky are trying to step up Porte and Kennaugh on the ladder towards GT leadership roles which involves heavier training.

Their bodies can not take it and keep breaking down.

I hope this is not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Kiryienka likewise ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #864 on: May 06, 2014, 16:14 »
    Anvery cold war approach if true, but I kind of agree Keith.

But Sky will need to take a look at things D-ski is injured as are quiet a few of the younger guys, now if you are a young rider with a GB passport, and you look at sky and the injuries etc and then Adam Yates over at Greenedge. Is the gloss of riding for the team of a tour winner enough ?

The team has become so obsessed with the tour it is silly, they need to have a really good look at the direction they are heading.

very similar to what Rihs and Och did last year at BMC
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #865 on: May 06, 2014, 16:26 »
    Kennaugh is not actually ill. Hes just nowhere near fit enough to ride the giro after being ill.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #866 on: May 06, 2014, 16:29 »
    Anvery cold war approach if true, but I kind of agree Keith.

But Sky will need to take a look at things D-ski is injured as are quiet a few of the younger guys, now if you are a young rider with a GB passport, and you look at sky and the injuries etc and then Adam Yates over at Greenedge. Is the gloss of riding for the team of a tour winner enough ?

The team has become so obsessed with the tour it is silly, they need to have a really good look at the direction they are heading.

very similar to what Rihs and Och did last year at BMC

Is this a wind-up??

Cold War???

Surely it is the life of an elite athlete? The leader has to train harder than the others?? same in athletics.

I certainly don't think the team has become obsessed with the Tour.

Last year, they put up three credible riders for each of the GT's - it just didn't work out for Wiggins and Henao.

Similarly they are trying in the classics, but not getting anywhere fast. But that doesn't mean they aren't trying.

I would imagine that a young rider wants 3 things: money, coaching and team support. Just because the training is hard doesn't mean that most youngsters will not want to ride for Sky.

Why copy BMC when they are copying Sky? sounds illogical to me.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #867 on: May 06, 2014, 16:50 »
    Relax Keith I am not attacking you I am having a discussion.

No the cold war thing is not a wind up.

One of Skys main training philosophy is working a sub max power output and extending the distance and time you work at that effort and then increasing what is max power output.

you keep pushing until something breaks to find what a rider is able to tolerate.

The issue is when does it break, and knowing it is about to break, the cold war approach was not worrying about the breaking point, the athletes you have left are the strongest.

This does not work for all, and clearly not that many at Sky at the moment, Froome is coping,  Wiggo took a gap year. Etc etc.

and I said they need to look at the direction they are heading aka what bmc did last year and change, now as I wrote this I did not think I needed to say imo, but will now imo.

I never mentioned training methods, but once again we have no idea what or how much influence sky's reverse periodisation training techniques etc are being used, you must also consider the influence of Pieper at BMC.

The leader may train harder may not just smarter ??
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #868 on: May 06, 2014, 17:02 »
    I am chilled  :cool

We are all guessing here and you have a very decent theory, but one I don't subscribe to.

I guess we have to wait for Kennaugh's biography (Not Cav, just Pete) and Porte's (My life as a bagman for a Kenyan) to find out the truth ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #869 on: May 06, 2014, 17:06 »
    The thing for me is that Kennaugh doesn't have to climb a hill for two weeks and it's a month until Zoncolan. Given that Sky had no GT threat, why didn't he attempt to regain his form at the Giro?
  • ReplyReply

•