collapse

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1396
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #870 on: May 06, 2014, 18:29 »
The thing for me is that Kennaugh doesn't have to climb a hill for two weeks and it's a month until Zoncolan. Given that Sky had no GT threat, why didn't he attempt to regain his form at the Giro?

It sounds to me that is exactly what Tinkov are trying to do with Rogers...
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #871 on: May 06, 2014, 22:43 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/27302427

Thomas has had several offers for next year. Be interesting to know who they were from.

If one of them is from OGE and the money they have offered is reasonable that's the one that I would hope he'd take and he's get away from Sky.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #872 on: May 07, 2014, 19:01 »
    Wiggins says hes in perfect shape to support Froome at the tour

That has to be one of the worst photos of all time, it looks like a picture of a teenage boy with his mom who works a low paying job. Whoever decided to use this photo must really hate Wiggo, surely there are better pictures of him.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #873 on: May 07, 2014, 19:22 »
    That has to be one of the worst photos of all time, it looks like a picture of a teenage boy with his mom who works a low paying job. Whoever decided to use this photo must really hate Wiggo, surely there are better pictures of him.

the clue was in the "perfect shape".. its photoshopped to make wiggo look overweight and therefore not focussed on supporting froome ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #874 on: May 08, 2014, 15:11 »
    This one totally passed me by. Spot the Sky rider.:D

• ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #875 on: May 08, 2014, 15:26 »
    could be Cataldo or Xandio - they have beards.

Now I wonder who else has a beard ;)

All I say is that it was a good job it wasn't wet & raining, Granny descending isn't that interesting to watch  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #876 on: May 08, 2014, 17:35 »
    Wiggo's body double?
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #877 on: May 18, 2014, 20:20 »
    Basically, Wiggo won Cali easily against a pretty weak field.

He is obviously being muzzled by the management and only has come out so far with some polically correct nonsense about the Tour de France.

Shame.

Some Cycling journalist needs to share a few gin and tonics with him today and then the truth would come out ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #878 on: May 18, 2014, 22:18 »
    What truth is that?

I thought I saw a quote somewhere from Wiggins talking about the Dauphine. If he rides that, he rides the Tour; Sky always use the Dauphine as a (nearly) full rehearsal.

Also interesting to speculate... What if Sky's riders stayed at their current level of form and Froome had a veto on the Tour team. There's no way he could exclude Wiggins if he wants to win. The only way leaving Wiggins out becomes an issue is if Porte, Kennaugh, Kyrienka, Lopez, Thomas and Henao all find their form before July. I'd be surprised if they all did.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 506
    « Reply #879 on: May 18, 2014, 23:19 »
    Captain you are so right, surely Wiggo's P-R and ATOC form, albeit the latter against a limited field, mean that on form, notwithstanding politics, and whatever clause Chris from Kenya has in his terms, then
    Mr Wiggo starts in Yorkshire, no ifs or buts Mr Brailsford
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    « Reply #880 on: May 19, 2014, 16:35 »
    What truth is that?

I thought I saw a quote somewhere from Wiggins talking about the Dauphine. If he rides that, he rides the Tour; Sky always use the Dauphine as a (nearly) full rehearsal.

Also interesting to speculate... What if Sky's riders stayed at their current level of form and Froome had a veto on the Tour team. There's no way he could exclude Wiggins if he wants to win. The only way leaving Wiggins out becomes an issue is if Porte, Kennaugh, Kyrienka, Lopez, Thomas and Henao all find their form before July. I'd be surprised if they all did.

Has Wiggins said that he'll ride the Dauphine? He's already won it twice so if he had a choice he might go to the Tour de Suisse to try and add another race to his palmares. I have a feeling that Froome will lead Sky at the Dauphine and Wiggins lead the team in Switzerland and then the tour team if all come out of there prep races fit and well would be the 8 from the Dauphine plus Wiggins.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #881 on: May 19, 2014, 17:17 »
    Very few, if any sky riders have gone from Tour de Suisse to the Tour. If Wiggins rides Switzerland I would say its 75% hes missed out on the Tour team.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #882 on: May 19, 2014, 20:30 »
    DauphineTour
    1Edvald Boasson HagenEdvald Boasson Hagen
    2Chris FroomeChris Froome
    3Peter Kennaugh Peter Kennaugh
    4Vasil Kiryienka Vasil Kiryienka
    5David López David López
    6Richie Porte Richie Porte
    7Ian StannardIan Stannard
    8Geraint ThomasGeraint Thomas
    9Kanstantsin Siutsou

DauphineTour
    2Chris FroomeChris Froome
    3Christian KneesChristian Knees
    4Danny Pate
    5Richie PorteRichie Porte
    6Michael RogersMichael Rogers
    7Kanstantsin SiutsouKanstantsin Siutsou
    8Bradley WigginsBradley Wiggins
    9Mark Cavendish
    10Bernhard Eisel

DauphineTour
    2Juan Antonio FlechaJuan Antonio Flecha
    3Simon GerransSimon Gerrans
    4Christian KneesChristian Knees
    5Geraint ThomasGeraint Thomas
    6Rigoberto UránRigoberto Urán
    7Bradley WigginsBradley Wiggins
    8Xabier ZandioXabier Zandio
    9Ben Swift

So in three years only one Sky rider has ridden the Dauphine and not the Tour, and that was Danny Pate making way for Cavendish and his pilot Eisel.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:46 by Capt_Cavman »

Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    « Reply #883 on: May 19, 2014, 21:29 »
    I had it in my head that the AN Other that got added to the Dauphine 8 usually came from the Tour de Suisse but I was clearly wrong.

Siutsou rode the Route du Sud

Cav and Eisel the Ster ZLM Toer

Its 3 years ago when Swift rode in Switzerland and then the tour that any Sky rider went that route. So it looks like Dim is right. Ride the Tour de Suisse for Sky and you have little chance of riding the Tour de France.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4090
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #884 on: May 20, 2014, 00:24 »
    this whole  "Froome has a veto in his contract" is something I find interesting.

Where did this come from?

Isnt his current contract the one he signed after the shock podium at the vuelta?   So he went from struggling to get a contract, to having a veto over who is in his Tour team.  But he has to ride for Wiggins in between?

It doesnt make sense to me.

Did he sign a new contract with Sky after Wiggo's tour win?
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #885 on: May 21, 2014, 00:23 »
    yep, signed a new contract last year.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4090
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #886 on: May 21, 2014, 00:48 »
    ah ok.   Until when?
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #887 on: May 21, 2014, 07:55 »
    I presume, he signed a 3-year contract as he has not been mentioned by Alonso as one of the leaders still under contract for next year.
  • ReplyReply

• SadlyWiggins

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 5
    • Road MTB TT
    « Reply #888 on: May 21, 2014, 12:30 »
    I have posted and article about whether Wiggo's Win can Help to Restore Faith and Interest in US Pro-Cycling?    :angel *uk

http://d2ride.co.uk/News-and-Blog.php   *uk *uk
  • ReplyReply
  • Road Bike and TT Bike Hire Stafford England
    www.d2ride.co.uk

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #889 on: May 21, 2014, 13:22 »
    We tend to get this kind of post or blog here  :slow. Not saying it is a bad/good thing    :zombie
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 102
    « Reply #890 on: May 21, 2014, 14:14 »
    That knighthood anecdote lays it out, really. They wouldn't understand him. He'd be seen as quirky and 'limey', a relic of the stereotypical American view of the UK rather than an exotic foreigner as was in the case of Beckham.
  • ReplyReply
  • The best album ever: itunes.apple.com/us/album/riddim-driven-sleng-teng-extravaganza/id76251384

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #891 on: May 21, 2014, 14:34 »
    That knighthood anecdote lays it out, really. They wouldn't understand him. He'd be seen as quirky and 'limey', a relic of the stereotypical American view of the UK rather than an exotic foreigner as was in the case of Beckham.

I don't get it at all.

Reminds of all them bands whose only goal is "breaking America" -

- with what exactly?
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #892 on: May 24, 2014, 13:20 »
    A little torn on Sky at the moment... Giro performance smacks of why bother to turn up, and a heap of general disrespect for a GT, but genuinely saddened about Stannard's latest injury update, which leaves Sir Dave with even more questions ahead of announcing dauphine and TDS teams, if anything surely the loss of a diesel like Stannard further strengthens Wiggins' Daupine / TDF claims...?
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #893 on: May 25, 2014, 00:18 »
    Ok hats off to Cataldo, (the stage that got away) but you get my point  - two near misses and little else to fill a scrapbook about.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #894 on: May 25, 2014, 00:41 »
    So excerpts from Froome's autobiography were published in the Sunday Times tonight - and it may be dynamite...

The first article is about Froome's contact extension at the time of Vuelta in 2011...

It portrays Brailsford as being a tad sneaky and Froome as being supa-intelligent

Money wasn’t the only issue. I wanted Dave to agree that I would have the chance to win the Tour de France, or at least not be stuck in a system where I couldn’t. Finishing second in Spain after doing so much work for Brad had given me confidence. When other teams proposed contracts that showed they wanted me as their leader, that made me think: why shouldn’t I go for the Tour de France?

Dave listened and said that this worked perfectly for Sky because the team wanted to go to the race with two riders going for general classification (GC). He said how good it was for the team that when Brad cracked, I was there to pick it up. Dave was enthusiastic and convincing and, though I wanted reassurance, I also wanted to stay with the team. What I remember him saying was this: “If you stay with us, we will basically guarantee to you that you go to the Tour and ride for GC.”

In hindsight I can see that Dave was being clever. I thought what he told me meant that I could go to the Tour de France and have my chance to win it. But he didn’t actually say this. Instead he spoke of two guys riding for GC, with one being the designated leader and the other riding as his back-up. If anything happened to the leader, the second guy would take over. Dave’s approach was rather like a character in Lewis Carroll’s Through the Looking Glass: “When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean – neither more nor less.” My understanding was that I would go to the Tour as a protected rider but the details were never teased out. Dave’s words would mean just what he chose them to mean.

The 2nd article is even worse and recounts the 2nd attack on Stage 11 - it completely differs from the Yates account and is titled "If you've a problem Bradley, say it to my face"

On stage seven, which I won, Bradley took the yellow jersey. He had to do lots of interviews. I heard him say something like: “A fantastic day for the team. Chris winning the stage; I’m in the yellow jersey. Great.” Then he added: “Now he’s got his stage win, he’s going to be an integral part of helping me to try to win the Tour.”

I thought it was such an arrogant thing to say: Chris has had his little moment, now he can concentrate on his real job.

Within the team, the mood wasn’t as good as it should have been: Brad wasn’t always happy, I wasn’t happy and Cav wasn’t happy. One day on the bus Cav slipped me a note: “No great man ever complains of want of opportunity.”

I felt Cav was saying: “Don’t get to the end and say you didn’t have the opportunity.” This was tough but powerful. I wasn’t going to dandle grandchildren on my knee in years to come and explain that, “Yeah, I had the chance to win a Tour de France but I passed it up for a quiet life on the team bus.”
    In drawing, Cav into the argument is rather stupid and risks the law of unintended consequences...

The plan was to scorch the earth again, just as we had done on La Planche des Belles Filles to put Bradley in yellow. I suggested that maybe it might be possible for me to attack towards the end of the stage, after I had shepherded Brad almost to the top.

The response was a frown from team principal Dave Brailsford and a slight unease that the question had been asked. I was used to this hypersensitivity towards Brad’s feelings but Brad was basically two minutes ahead. Today was a day when we could kill off his main rivals, Cadel Evans and Vincenzo Nibali, for him and take another stage.

I wasn’t putting my hand up and asking if I could help myself to Brad’s Tour or have a weekend away with his wife. I was asking could I go for a stage win, and get myself in a slightly better position.

Ooh, Brailsford being unfair to Froome again...

My argument was just as blunt. What happens if — as we all remember seeing on the last two Grand Tours that Brad has done — he fades in the last week, or he crashes, or something goes wrong? What if one of those things happens and I’m still too far off Nibali to be able to catch up again?

Dave, the man with a plan for all occasions, said that it was wrong to speak now of “what ifs”. These were the facts. We had to work with the facts. So we talked facts. Day one, I punctured. No contingency plan. Fact. Dave immediately apologised for that oversight. He was sincere but the point was made. There had been promises made and yet from the puncture to the special lightweight wheels and skewers, which Brad was using exclusively, all had been geared towards Brad. I had thought this was the team that didn’t do oversights.

Dave said to me: “Brad wants to go home. He’s ready to pack his bags and leave the race altogether.”

I remember thinking: “So it’s okay for him to leave and not give anybody else a hand? If he leaves, will I have to carry his bags?”

And, the piece de resistance is the final paragraphs
    I gave the party line. “Brad’s in optimum position to win the race, and at the moment he’s poised to win so. . . we’re on track. And no, I’m not going to be attacking or anything like that.”

I realised, at last, that everything had been geared towards this.

It was never going to be any different. The story was completed long before we got to France. Bradley wins. The book is written. The documentary is made. The promise is fulfilled. We had just been acting it out.

So the TdF12 was a fix for Wiggo to win and everyone else was a mere actor...
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #895 on: May 25, 2014, 00:51 »
    FranMillar already tweeted and "deleted"

Something along the lines of

"My mother always used to say that there is their version of the truth, your version of the truth and the actual truth"

;)
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #896 on: May 25, 2014, 01:30 »
    Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall as Michelle corrected the ghostwriters prose, trying to move poor Chris's  'statements masquerading as anecdotes' a notch  up from grey paint drying on an already very grey canvas...

That said how do these public airings leave the likelihood of a brad and froo' joint venture in Yorkshire?
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #897 on: May 25, 2014, 01:58 »

That said how do these public airings leave the likelihood of a brad and froo' joint venture in Yorkshire?

Zippo.

Cycling reduced to the level of politicians.

Nobody believes the spin and they will kill each other at the first opportunity
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #898 on: May 25, 2014, 02:02 »
    Jesus, how self absorbed does a brainless arrogant twit have to be to think they have material for an "autobiography" at the age of 29????
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7735
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #899 on: May 25, 2014, 06:11 »
    This reads very much like Froome's version of the truth, hostwritten by Michelle.
    Brailsford comes off as Macchiavellian as he probably is.

But Christ, why must they wash their dirty laundry in public? :for
    Is that a British thing?
    Sky comes across more and more as not a team, but a collection of individuals being convinced/persuaded/tricked/bullied into working for a "common" goal. That goal being "whatever Sir Dave B. desires".
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean