collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11386
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #900 on: May 25, 2014, 06:33 »
Walsh is a classic sometimes

I wonder if they use this book to be let gor from thier contract at Sky to go get the big money, I have a feeling they will end up at BMC next year when DB and CF/MC agree to rip up the contract.

Brailsford should call his bluff nad say no 1 individual is gretter than the team and Froome is not riding

:lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #901 on: May 25, 2014, 11:15 »
    This reads very much like Froome's version of the truth, hostwritten by Michelle.
    Brailsford comes off as Macchiavellian as he probably is.

But Christ, why must they wash their dirty laundry in public? :for
    Is that a British thing?
    Sky comes across more and more as not a team, but a collection of individuals being convinced/persuaded/tricked/bullied into working for a "common" goal. That goal being "whatever Sir Dave B. desires".

I suspect that Froome feels hard done by: he is the better rider, yet the public loves Wiggo.

All the stuff that has been written about tdf12 focusses on Froome going against team orders and attacking Wiggins in his (and the UK's) moment of glory.

Froome wants his side of the story out there, however implausible.

Of course, it is Sir Dave B's team and it is his / sponsor's wish that they ride for.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3886
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #902 on: May 25, 2014, 13:07 »
    One really does have to wonder about the motivation behind this book.

Money? Whatever Froome is going to make off of it must pale in comparison to what he's already earning from Sky and any other sponsors, I would think.

As has been said: Isn't a bit early in both his life and career to be putting the pen to paper? (Not that that has stopped countless others before him, of course.)

What good can possibly come from this in terms of "team" dynamics?

I do find it endlessly amusing however that Wiggins was actually on the verge of throwing it all in and going home because of Froome's "attack." How and why would a team ever want to be at the mercy of such a fragile ego ever again?

Also, Note to self:
    Never pass a private memo to Chris, less it end up in the pages of a book.  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 503
    « Reply #903 on: May 25, 2014, 13:11 »
    The only way that froome will/ could (still a longshot) gain widespread uk support is to openly and without treachery, slay his dragon.  His action in '12 were bad form against a national icon, the public were somewhat sated with tdf glory in a non wiggins 2013, and if he chooses the contract loophole to unseat wiggins from a 'home defence' in 2014 then woe betide him in a public appeal sense.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4567
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #904 on: May 25, 2014, 13:20 »
    Jesus, how self absorbed does a brainless arrogant twit have to be to think they have material for an "autobiography" at the age of 29????

Exactly my thoughts.

It seems to be a British thing, doesn't Cav have 3 or so out already?

By the way, from what I've read Froome comes across as a right asshole IMO.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #905 on: May 25, 2014, 13:25 »
    Sergio Henao flying back to Europe tomorrow to get ready for the TdF
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #906 on: May 25, 2014, 13:27 »
    But he seems just so "British."

I haven’t done much over in Britain in the last couple of years yet I’ve got so much support there. I’d love to be able to shake a few hands and say thank you to people.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2637642/CHRIS-FROOME-EXCLUSIVE-Who-needs-drugs-I-mountains-fuelled-espresso.html
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 503
    « Reply #907 on: May 25, 2014, 16:31 »
    To that point, surely financially there would be greater rewards in building a legacy as the first African tdf champion than the 2nd person (with in CF's case a fairly loose affiliation to GB) - perhaps it's just the chance to ride with a strong team for the rainbow bands that maintain the somewhat farcical links to blighty?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2050
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #908 on: May 25, 2014, 22:14 »
    It is a British thing certainly, Rooney had a Biography published in 2006 when he was 20 I believe.
    He has had another two published since then. Simply ridiculous, but the fascination with celebrities private lives drives the demand and that has evidently been extended into the world of cycling. A biography about now, is probably considered late for a British "sporting" "icon" like Froome.

But of course as mentioned you sense that Froome is highly frustrated with what occurred in 2012 and how the British public viewed and still view those incidents. He obviously sees this as a way to correct those misconceptions.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7731
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #909 on: May 25, 2014, 22:20 »
    A biography about now, is probably considered late for a "British" "sporting" "icon" like Froome.
    Fixed that for you. :P ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #910 on: May 26, 2014, 14:58 »
    It is a British thing certainly, Rooney had a Biography published in 2006 when he was 20 I believe.
    He has had another two published since then. Simply ridiculous, but the fascination with celebrities private lives drives the demand and that has evidently been extended into the world of cycling. A biography about now, is probably considered late for a British "sporting" "icon" like Froome.

But of course as mentioned you sense that Froome is highly frustrated with what occurred in 2012 and how the British public viewed and still view those incidents. He obviously sees this as a way to correct those misconceptions.

And as a way to make sure Wiggins doesn't ride the Tour maybe. Honestly their relationship is a mess. If they both ride it is going to get very ugly.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #911 on: May 26, 2014, 15:25 »
    Serialisation in general is meant to build publicity for the book...

...but if the most interesting bit about Froome's story is contract negotiations with Brailsford then the book will be about as exciting as a chainlink.

Sad, really ;)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6788
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #912 on: May 26, 2014, 15:30 »
    Possibly the most anodyne individual in GC cycling.

He is polished, clean and unabrasive like a good toothpaste but you only need to brush your teeth for 6 minutes a day.

When are publishers going to realise that third person biographies offer so much more potential? :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #913 on: May 26, 2014, 16:31 »
    Despite Walsh's book on the tour, here is Ben Swift admitting that he loves Nutella based treats in his back pocket

I can picture the Sky nutritionist hitting the roof - where are the marginal gains going??
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #914 on: May 26, 2014, 20:21 »
    Despite Walsh's book on the tour, here is Ben Swift admitting that he loves Nutella based treats in his back pocket

I can picture the Sky nutritionist hitting the roof - where are the marginal gains going??

There was a slightly mishievous smile when Swift first mentioned the Nutella so I was wondering if there was a little bit of micky taking/trolling going on from him there.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #915 on: May 27, 2014, 09:16 »
    Well, what gets eaten on the race gets burned off. It could be a lard burger and it wouldn't matter, more or less. Nutella at the breakfast or dinner table is naughty though, plus the palm oil in it is less digestible. For that reason alone, I wouldn't eat Nutella. But then, I'm not a stultifyingly ill-informed young pro.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #916 on: May 28, 2014, 13:30 »
    Too funny

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/12040/9329033/video-chris-froome-talks-bradley-wiggins-and-starting-the-tour-de-france-in-yorkshire

- Froome was 2kilo's too fat at romandie
    - implying Wiggo will ride
    - Porte is going for a podium ;)

All is well in Temerife for Team Sky and doomsayers will be slayed
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #917 on: May 28, 2014, 14:33 »
    What!!!!!!!!!!! :o :? :angry :o
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #919 on: May 31, 2014, 11:43 »
    and wiggo was not invited to train with the team

CF and MC are doing their best to be in the middle of a sh*t storm of their on making it seems to me

if it blows up the might just get covered in it  :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #921 on: June 01, 2014, 09:35 »
    Sounds like everything is being set up nicely to leave Sir Brad at home in July.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #922 on: June 01, 2014, 11:42 »
    Nothing really that bad in today's Sunday Times serialisation, three vignettes:

1. While racing for Kenya in the Tour of Egypt in boiling temperatures, the DS didn't bother to follow the race and hand out bottles but instead went sight-seeing. One of Froome's teammates quit suffering from dehydration and almost died untill he was picked up in the evening by a seigneur who went back to retrieve race radios.

2. Another puff piece about Froome being spat at in the Yellow jersey and having urine thrown over him. The unfairness of it all, when he is clean and paying for the sins of Lance.

3. Mount Ventoux - happy about Wiggins not being selected:

THE last step before the 2013 Tour de France was the Critérium du Dauphiné. When Team Sky planned the season I knew that Brad would be at the Giro d’Italia but he pulled out of the race after 12 days, laid low with a chest infection. He was also having a little trouble with his knee. A few days later he announced he was in no condition to ride the Tour.

The team hadn’t just dodged a bullet; we had ducked a cannonball. No matter what was said or how much we had deferred to each other in public, the first stages of the Tour would have been played as Froome against Wiggins, the gangly Kenya–born Brit against lovably gruff Mod geezer. The pressure could have cracked the team. Deciding where to sit at breakfast might have become a political decision.

Instead we went into the Dauphiné with a sense of relief and we finished it with my teammate Richie Porte and I on the top two steps of the podium. We had eight of the nine guys who would ride the Tour with us and from there we went to the French Alps for our final preparations. Our team. My team.

Nice...

Then some justification for why he attacked so early "On advice from Contador that because of the winds at top, it would be very difficult to drop people there"

All-in-all - pretty boring.

If that is the 2nd best passages, then the book is going to be tedious and just be should be as the 1st step in the process of canonization of Froome ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #923 on: June 01, 2014, 11:42 »
    ??
    So is Michelle now the official Team Sky media-fail liaison?

I just love how Froome tries to play down the timing of his "autobiography" in regards to his 2012 disputes with Wiggo.
    “I think we all need to remember that this is all stuff that happened back in 2012 and, even though it is being brought up now, it’s only because it’s in my autobiography.

Uh...yeah, Chris, which kind of begs the question, Why did you release the book right now? He doesn't seem to address that part of it.

Personally, I'm getting to the point now where I really can't stand this guy. At first I was somewhat ambivalent about him, then deeply curious but still somewhat on the fence. But my skepticism has only grown over the last couple of years to the point where now, I don't even like his face. Shallow but true.

And like Wiggo before him, I fail to see how his continued "success" will be a good thing for the sport overall.

Also, what is up with those appendages?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #924 on: June 01, 2014, 11:47 »
    Nothing really that bad in today's Sunday Times serialisation, three vignettes:
    The team hadn’t just dodged a bullet; we had ducked a cannonball. No matter what was said or how much we had deferred to each other in public, the first stages of the Tour would have been played as Froome against Wiggins, the gangly Kenya–born Brit against lovably gruff Mod geezer. The pressure could have cracked the team. Deciding where to sit at breakfast might have become a political decision.

I read that, and I think, NO WAY is Brad riding the TdF this year. Will be interesting...
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #925 on: June 01, 2014, 12:04 »
    So is Michelle now the official Team Sky media-fail liaison?

I just love how Froome tries to play down the timing of his "autobiography" in regards to his 2012 disputes with Wiggo.
    Uh...yeah, Chris, which kind of begs the question, Why did you release the book right now? He doesn't seem to address that part of it.

He can't address the timing of the book release as the obvious answer is money and sales and sportsmen can't seem to admit that they do things for those reasons.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #926 on: June 01, 2014, 12:08 »
    flip it twitter campaign

#letwiggoride14tdf

ok folks lets go bananas

just for the sh*ts and giggles :lol
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #927 on: June 01, 2014, 13:11 »
    Quote from: Via Uncle Keith
    The team hadn’t just dodged a bullet; we had ducked a cannonball

... is probably the most appalling metaphor I have read this week, possibly this year. Who writes this hyperbolic nonsense?  :angry  :S

Reminds me of that classic chunk of hyperbole from the radio version of Alan Partridge's Knowing Me, Knowing You in which Alan reads out some of his own writing, from a novel that has so far failed to find a publisher:

His feet felt the hard cold stone grey floor. Feet that had trod every troublespot in the world. Feet that had tasted a touch of danger. Feet that had seen too much.

:lol  :P

Back to Sky...

I think the explanation is, for a team that seems to do everything but concentrate on cycling, probably more straightforward. Froome and Wiggins are being deliberately kept apart for any sort of press call.

The first collision of schedules may well have been avoided due to injury or illness but I think thereafter the policy of not running both horses in the same derby has been express. However, if it is designed to minimise pot stirring, in the final analysis that has probably backfired.

One almost feels that the handprint of media manipulation is all over this.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #928 on: June 01, 2014, 13:15 »
    ... is probably the most appalling metaphor I have read this week, possibly this year. Who writes this hyperbolic nonsense?  :angry  :S

David Walsh or Michelle Cound.

Walsh was also responsible for the butterfly metaphor in last years book, which was even more crass.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #929 on: June 01, 2014, 13:23 »
    David Walsh or Michelle Cound.

Walsh was also responsible for the butterfly metaphor in last years book, which was even more crass.

I also liked the Froome = Jesus, Contador = Barabbas comparison!!
  • ReplyReply

•