collapse

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1396
Re: team Sky news
« Reply #930 on: June 01, 2014, 16:40 »
So Thomas straight afer racing in Bavaria is off to France for cobbles recon with Rasch.

So that makes 5 almost certainies in the TdF squad: Froome, Porte, Nieve, Snow and Thomas. With Kiryienka and Sioutsou probably getting the rouleur roles, the door is shutting for Wiggins...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11386
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #931 on: June 01, 2014, 16:53 »
    #letwiggoride14tdf
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #932 on: June 01, 2014, 16:53 »
    So Thomas straight afer racing in Bavaria is off to France for cobbles recon with Rasch.

So that makes 5 almost certainies in the TdF squad: Froome, Porte, Nieve, Snow and Thomas. With Kiryienka and Sioutsou probably getting the rouleur roles, the door is shutting for Wiggins...
    Nieve and Snow. They've got more options than I thought.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #933 on: June 01, 2014, 16:56 »
    Nieve and Snow. They've got more options than I thought.

oops, that will be nieve and lopez :-(
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #934 on: June 02, 2014, 10:25 »
    Snow

Sorry for being nickname ignorant, but who is Snow?
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #935 on: June 02, 2014, 10:28 »
    Nieve in spanish means snow so michel nieve is snow...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #937 on: June 09, 2014, 06:35 »

So is Michelle now the official Team Sky media-fail liaison?

I just love how Froome tries to play down the timing of his "autobiography" in regards to his 2012 disputes with Wiggo.
    Uh...yeah, Chris, which kind of begs the question, Why did you release the book right now? He doesn't seem to address that part of it.

Personally, I'm getting to the point now where I really can't stand this guy. At first I was somewhat ambivalent about him, then deeply curious but still somewhat on the fence. But my skepticism has only grown over the last couple of years to the point where now, I don't even like his face. Shallow but true.

And like Wiggo before him, I fail to see how his continued "success" will be a good thing for the sport overall.

Also, what is up with those appendages?

I am glad to have company in this camp.   Knowing what we know of him, and being subject to the sheer ignorance that is Froome, I long ago reached the "I can't stand him" mark.  I won't even watch a race he is in because I dislike everything he stands for so much.  And I can't stand to see anything that ugly on a bike.

The truth about him will come out at some point, and the fallout will not be good.  You just wonder after the last one of these "wonder" stories, how the hell did the sport decide to go all in once again, so soon.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #939 on: June 12, 2014, 16:23 »
    From twiterville

:lol

• ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #940 on: June 12, 2014, 20:17 »
    From twiterville

:lol

Why not make Jesse into Froome? same boyish looks :lol
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #941 on: June 13, 2014, 06:05 »
    Why not make Jesse into Froome? same boyish looks :lol

because JTL is better ;)
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #942 on: June 17, 2014, 05:28 »
    Brailsford in today's Times:

Speaking to The Times in Courchevel, immediately after Sunday’s final stage of the Critérium du Dauphiné, in which Froome slumped to 12th overall after leading the race for all but the final two stages, Sir Dave Brailsford, the team principal, accepted that he had a difficult decision to make.
    Brailsford is still adhering to his plan to make his final Tour selection after the Tour of Switzerland, in which Wiggins, who lost ground during yesterday’s third stage, is competing.
    “Two World Tour races is a long time in bike racing and all sorts of things can happen,” he said. “So we will get to next weekend, take stock and go from there.”
    Brailsford refused to speculate on whether, given the tensions in their relationship, Wiggins and Froome would be able to co-habit within Team Sky at the Tour.
    “These selection decisions are rebooted — like updating your apps — all the time,” he said. “You get more information as you go along and then, with all the latest information, you make a final decision.”
    But Brailsford also made it clear that, despite the affection for Wiggins among the British fans, and his influential role in popularising road racing, he would not shrink from omitting the 2012 Tour champion if he felt that was the right decision.
    “My job is to make decisions based on performance,” he said. “What I would say is that when I started this job 15 years ago, as a nation, we were plucky losers. In the last 15 years we have become world-beaters. Along the way, if you want to change that mindset, you have to make some tricky decisions.”
    “There are popular decisions, sentimental decisions and performance-based decisions. My performance-based decisions have not always been popular, and they’re not taken to please people. I’ve got to start with a vision of a rider in yellow on the Champs Elysees and then work back from there.”
    “People have enjoyed the success as a result of the mindset we’ve created, but even so, every now and then, you come up with these tricky situations which are pretty brutal. That’s the reality. But I know it has an emotional angle. I get it, I understand.”
    Brailsford would not be drawn on how hard he would fight to retain Wiggins, if, as a consequence of his omission, the 2012 Tour champion did choose to move on. “That’s a hypothetical question,” he said. “But he’s a brilliant champion, he’s been brilliant for cycling in Britain, and he’s been a brilliant asset for British Cycling.”
    Preparing the ground, for an unpopular decision...
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 813
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #943 on: July 25, 2014, 15:44 »
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8512
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #944 on: August 08, 2014, 10:17 »
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=74079

JoDo has some work done on the iliac artery. Could be he's finished for the season. Could be he's finished with Sky.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6788
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #945 on: August 27, 2014, 07:11 »
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=74079

JoDo has some work done on the iliac artery. Could be he's finished for the season. Could be he's finished with Sky.

Hasn't been spectacular there, has he? But then, the youth don't get many chances to do much more than BOTD and sitting on the front. Boswell, Puccio, Edmondson ...
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #946 on: August 28, 2014, 11:03 »
    Hasn't been spectacular there, has he? But then, the youth don't get many chances to do much more than BOTD and sitting on the front. Boswell, Puccio, Edmondson ...

Puccio has done alright for himself this year and got his chance in the Italian one-dayers (and crashed/meched a lot in some of the other one day races), but you're right, it's crumbs from the table they're scrapping over. You'd think the youngsters could at least be given one SSR as their own mini TdF/LBL that they can aim for. I guess Boswell got a semi-chance at Route du Sud, but Edmondson seemingly has had nothing. I guess there's always Beijing.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #947 on: August 28, 2014, 11:29 »
    Puccio has done alright for himself this year and got his chance in the Italian one-dayers (and crashed/meched a lot in some of the other one day races), but you're right, it's crumbs from the table they're scrapping over. You'd think the youngsters could at least be given one SSR as their own mini TdF/LBL that they can aim for. I guess Boswell got a semi-chance at Route du Sud, but Edmondson seemingly has had nothing. I guess there's always Beijing.  :P
    Has Edmondson ever done anything to demonstrate he should have a team working for him? I wish him every success but his career doesn't read like a Yates or Kennaugh.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #948 on: August 28, 2014, 11:49 »
    Has Edmondson ever done anything to demonstrate he should have a team working for him? I wish him every success but his career doesn't read like a Yates or Kennaugh.
    How many times have Sky ridden for Pete?

I guess that is some of the issue, if the kids don't get a go or let off the chain how do we know.

it seems to me Sky ride for 3 or 4 riders only

Froome
    Porte
    Wiggo
    G-Train

the restnare put to the sword in support, which may make them better in the end, but geez it must be hard, sucks if the riders you ride for suck or crash as well.

TBH A Yates would imo probably be a nothing man at sky 2014, but he gets a go and has done well at greenedge, different ideas 
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #949 on: August 28, 2014, 12:07 »
    How many times have Sky ridden for Pete?

I guess that is some of the issue, if the kids don't get a go or let off the chain how do we know.

it seems to me Sky ride for 3 or 4 riders only

Froome
    Porte
    Wiggo
    G-Train

the restnare put to the sword in support, which may make them better in the end, but geez it must be hard, sucks if the riders you ride for suck or crash as well.

TBH A Yates would imo probably be a nothing man at sky 2014, but he gets a go and has done well at greenedge, different ideas
    I'm not disputing any of that JSG, all I'm saying is that there is a pecking order in every team for who gets a shot and Edmondson is no where near the top of it.

That Sky offer so few opportunities to riders with potential clouds the issue but essentially there are too many riders with greater claim and that would still be the case if Sky were less controlling.

I'd also at EBH to your list of who got ridden for, back when they thought he would win many a classic.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #950 on: August 28, 2014, 12:07 »
    Well I didn't mention having an entire team ride for them, but the freedom to ride for themselves and a race to target. No doubt some older, more experienced riders are more than satisfied just domming, but it must be tough mentally for youngsters rarely to have a chance, and as JSG says if you don't give them an opportunity you're never going to know.

I had to check PCS to get the exact placement, but Edmondson did impress on Malhao last year. Not the toughest climb, but seventh was pretty good going for someone in one of his first few races in the pro-ranks.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #951 on: August 28, 2014, 12:17 »
    I'm not disputing any of that JSG, all I'm saying is that there is a pecking order in every team for who gets a shot and Edmondson is no where near the top of it.

That Sky offer so few opportunities to riders with potential clouds the issue but essentially there are too many riders with greater claim and that would still be the case if Sky were less controlling.

I'd also at EBH to your list of who got ridden for, back when they thought he would win many a classic.

I agree re Edmondson and peking order , but that list of young talent we can't say really how they would go does seems longer at Sky, as Cav  :lol

When Stan does well it always seems to me in spite of the team ideas, might change for 2015
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #952 on: August 28, 2014, 12:24 »
    Well I didn't mention having an entire team ride for them, but the freedom to ride for themselves and a race to target. No doubt some older, more experienced riders are more than satisfied just domming, but it must be tough mentally for youngsters rarely to have a chance, and as JSG says if you don't give them an opportunity you're never going to know.

I had to check PCS to get the exact placement, but Edmondson did impress on Malhao last year. Not the toughest climb, but seventh was pretty good going for someone in one of his first few races in the pro-ranks.
    This goes for all team sports I think...

There are some youngsters who warrant a shot because they excelled at a lower level, they command more money, sign with all the razzmatazz, and it's an easier 'sell' to the rest of the team. But you can't fill your squad with these because there aren't enough 'shots' to go round so (apart from your star names) you fill the rest of the places with solid pros who can do a job and know the score and take on a few youngsters who will gel well in the team and just might turn out to be really good at something. I'd put Earle, Rowe, Henao jnr and Edmondson in that group.

Post Merge: August 28, 2014, 12:28
    I agree re Edmondson and peking order , but that list of young talent we can't say really how they would go does seems longer at Sky, as Cav  :lol

When Stan does well it always seems to me in spite of the team ideas, might change for 2015
    No EBH will create more opportunities. Dependent on who they sign this winter.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2050
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #953 on: August 29, 2014, 11:21 »
    It has been really tough this year for the young Sky lads. With the Injury crisis a number of them were forced early in the season to race when they were unprepared and at short notice and at races they weren't expected to race.

That a lot of those youngsters like Edmondson, haven't taken their chances or properly proven their worth it really doesn't help their claim, but Sky should be giving them more.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

August

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 215
    • Awards: 2013 Bingo Champion
    « Reply #954 on: August 29, 2014, 18:12 »
    Sky is just all-around terrible at developing young riders.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #955 on: September 19, 2014, 06:57 »
    British Cycling want Bradley Wiggins to head Team Sky development team
    • Developmental team would help rider’s Olympic ambition
    • Dave Brailsford wants ‘to support the next Bradley Wiggins’

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/18/bradley-wiggins-team-sky-british-cycling-olympics-rio

8-10 riders many track, Conti buildup to Rio

Still bugs me a lot that BC and Sky don´t have a womens team
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #957 on: October 23, 2014, 11:36 »
    Not sure he should be saying anything more than a no cooment to the question, but ........ it is true, not sure the whole Yates thing right, but Sky are very bad at development GB riders or not

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/brian-cookson-team-sky-failing-uk-talent-140998
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6788
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #958 on: October 23, 2014, 13:10 »
    We've been saying it for ages and it goes for any youngsters, not just British ones.

Sky wanted a shortcut to the top: the all-consuming, one-race focus. It is tempting to believe that it all got jettisoned for that.

If so, who knows how the management strategy might have turned out if Wiggins hadn't bettered 4th in the Tour and Froome hadn't patented his Little Ring Afterburner?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13531
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #959 on: October 23, 2014, 20:38 »
    ...meanwhile Davide Martinelli didn't do a single race day as a stagiare for Team Sky. How is that even allowed?!
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"