collapse

ram

Re: team Sky news
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2012, 18:27 »
Like Warwickshire, England and the King of Spain.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #241 on: September 11, 2012, 18:55 »
    Told you I would...

;D
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #242 on: September 12, 2012, 10:11 »
    Saw the quote from DB as well, about him being both head of British Cycling and Sky.  Surely there is a conflict of interest there?  With his Sky hat on, he probably isn't too fussed if Cav goes - simplifies their  GT ambitions for the future.  But from a British point of view, he presumably would want Cav under his/Sky's control so that for the greater good of British Cycling they can monitor his fitness and form and so on - i.e. like they did before the Olympics (as it's fair to assume that had Cav been elsewhere he wouldn't have been able to prioritise it quite so much I don't think).  That said though, next Olympics aren't for 4 years, and  unlikely to be a Cav friendly WC course like Copenhagen any time soon, so presumably Brailsford's Sky hat will win...

Dont see a conflict of interest at all, personally. To date, Cav being in another team hasnt hindered what he's achieved for GB and British Cycling. The Worlds was won last year with Cav at HTC during all of the 3 years building up to it.  Rod Ellingworth has always been his coach since Cav left the Academy, and will no doubt remain so given that Cav regards him as the best coach in the world. I take your point about the Olympics and the advantage for him being at Sky this year, but this was an exceptional year - and I suspect a lesson all round about the lottery that is the Oly RR for 5 guys to try to control - I doubt Brailsford and Ellingworth will try to do that again.
    Looking back to last year and the run up to the Worlds, Cav was even extra miles behind the moto with Ellingworth after stages of ToB which Cav was riding with HTC. 
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11191
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #243 on: September 13, 2012, 09:01 »

Life of Tour de France and Olympic champion coming to the big screen

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wigginss-achievements-set-to-become-a-hollywood-film

lead actor

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #244 on: September 13, 2012, 09:28 »

Life of Tour de France and Olympic champion coming to the big screen

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wigginss-achievements-set-to-become-a-hollywood-film

lead actor

;D ;D ;D ;D

Never gonna happen. Usual nonsense courtesy of the Daily Express...
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #245 on: September 13, 2012, 09:40 »
    I just hope it doesn't happen... at least not with Rhys Ifans. Otherwise I'll spend the rest of my days with a mental image of Bradley Wiggins in his underpants on a doorstep in Notting Hill. :fp

And I won't be photoshopping that, so don't worry!
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #246 on: September 17, 2012, 19:13 »
    I'm starting to believe that Brailsford is a bit like human marmite, you either love him or you hate him.  His latest interview:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9547064/Dave-Brailsford-wants-to-give-Team-Sky-a-home-as-he-eyes-yet-more-British-cycling-success.html

My 'favourite' bits: 
    If you’re trying to hydrate people, don’t give them water to drink, give them flavoured water. It tastes better, so they’ll drink more

If you say so Dave.   :tu

Regarding the dark days of the past,
    In those days,” he says, “the way to get a competitive advantage was to know a lot about pharmacology, be brilliant with logistics — how to move it around. Once you take that out, what do you do now?
    "Fortunately, at around that time, we came along, and our background was in sports science and coaching.

:woohoo  Sky to the rescue! :woohoo

He is already thinking of creating a permanent base for Team Sky that will throw its doors open to the public...You can go to Chelsea, and see their shop, and see their stadium,” he says. “You can’t go and see Team Sky, or Rabobank – not that you’d want to see Rabobank. It’s time that we came together and had a coaching base, similar to what we’ve had in British cycling, where you pull together expertise in a single location. We’re trying to create a home where people can come and see Team Sky.

So kind of like a service course which have been around for years Dave?  But with added laboratories and the ability to hold pressconferences to smack talk Rabo?

A women's team? 
    Brailsford indicates that a British women’s road team may well be in the pipeline.
    “As it currently exists,” he explains, “you’ve got Laura Trott, Jo Rowsell and Dani King, then you’ve got three or four very good Welsh riders...There’s a development model, and we’ve identified it as potentially an area where we could do something

Ok, we all know that trackies can transfer successfully onto the road, but seems a bit ridiculous to be overlooking the current and perfectly capable current crop of British female road cyclists.  I mean, Armitstead is only 23 for goodness sake.  Seems a bit half-arsed to me, but then we'll see what happens in the future. 

And finally,
    No longer is his ambition to create merely the world’s greatest bike team, but the world’s greatest sports team.

You're welcome   ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #247 on: September 18, 2012, 09:24 »
    And in the same paper...

Bradley Wiggins wants to invest in a cycling team for Britain's women

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9549351/Bradley-Wiggins-wants-to-invest-in-a-cycling-team-for-Britains-women.html

“I would like to help form a women’s team although at the moment I don’t know how to go about that,” Wiggins said.

“I have no idea what it would cost but it would be something I would be willing to put in some of my own money in to start up. It would have to be all or nothing, though, I wouldn’t want to be involved in a tuppence-ha’penny team. It would have to be a full-on set up.

“I just have an amazing respect for what our women do. They are the forgotten ones in the sport and yet they have just as big a success as we do with the men."
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #248 on: October 10, 2012, 11:28 »
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=56292

GT

The general manager Dave Brailsford's Team Sky has given the alternative to Jonathan Tiernan-Locke (1984) and winner of the Tour of Britain will compete in the elite next year with the number one team in the world.

Brailsford confirms the overall philosophy: "At Team Sky we are determined that the best British talent have the opportunity to compete at the highest level of our sport. We have closely followed the progress of Jonathan and we are delighted to offer this contract" he says.

Undoubtedly the Sky in 2012 has had the top three British cyclists today, Bradley Wiggins (1980), Mark Cavendish (1985) and Chris Froome (1985). And within it polishes those who come, Geraint Thomas (1986), Ben Swfit (1987), Ian Stannard (1987), Alex Dowsett (1988) and Luke Rowe (1990).

With them comes Tiernan-Locke, spectacular in 2012, with victories in the Tour of the Mediterranean, the Tour Haur-Var, the Tour Alsace and icing on the Tour of Britain, and was second in the Tour of Murcia after Nairo Quintana . "He has worked hard to get where he is today and deserves his chance to compete against the best riders in the world," said Brailsford. "Next season will be a great opportunity for him. Believe that this is the right place to achieve their full potential and are looking forward to have him on the team," he added.

A handful of riders with projection, however, have not come so far in school the Sky, as Adam Blythe (1989), in the BMC, or Andrew Fenn (1990), in the Omega Pharma-Quick Step outside more veterans like David Millar (Garmin) or Stephen Cummins (BMC).

rant

But Dave what about the women ?

If Sky want to be a truly British team they should have a womens team as well me thinks

ORGE has and they market themselves as the Australian pro team 

It just sh*ts me the way the British women are getting treated or seem to be treated by the Sky cycling machine - track and Road

rant over
  • ReplyReply

• Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #249 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18 »
    This seems to keep on going around in circles.  If Sky the sponsor arent interested in an senior pro womens team, that's it, DB cant hive off part of the budget from the mens team  People can rant all they like but thems the facts. There are plenty of other mens teams with no equivalent womens teams. Its unfortunate but thats the situation.

Besides, considering the criticism DB and his management team get right now from a number of quarters, why on earth are those same quarters calling for him to set up a womens team?  To enable double the grief to be dished out? ???
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #250 on: October 10, 2012, 12:23 »
    This seems to keep on going around in circles.  If Sky the sponsor arent interested in an senior pro womens team, that's it, DB cant hive off part of the budget from the mens team  People can rant all they like but thems the facts. There are plenty of other mens teams with no equivalent womens teams. Its unfortunate but thats the situation.

Besides, considering the criticism DB and his management team get right now from a number of quarters, why on earth are those same quarters calling for him to set up a womens team?  To enable double the grief to be dished out? ???

Where has Sky said nope we do not want to sponsor a womens RR team ?

I have the same issue with BMC not having a womens team even if they do have an under 23 now and MTB team - women cycling needs it

as for the other issues you speak of - unlikely womens cycling seems a different beast
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #251 on: October 10, 2012, 12:26 »
    Where has Sky said nope we do not want to sponsor a womens RR team ?

Conversely where have they said that they can.

They can only sponsor one when they have the funds available to do so, and currently we have seen no indication of those funds being available. True DB can push it with the sponsors , but is it really worth it?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #252 on: October 10, 2012, 12:32 »
    Conversely where have they said that they can.

They can only sponsor one when they have the funds available to do so, and currently we have seen no indication of those funds being available. True DB can push it with the sponsors , but is it really worth it?

is it worth it ?

Seriously is it worth supporting British women Road riders and being truly the British team

is it worth it ?

Is it better the Emma Pooley goes back to her PHD

is it worth it ?

How much do you extra do you think it would cost

10 % of the mens budget maybe

is it worth it ?

How much good publicity would it bring - a shed load more than the extra cost

is it worth it

really ? disappointing

• ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #253 on: October 10, 2012, 12:35 »
    is it worth it ?

Seriously is it worth supporting British women Road riders and being truly the British team

is it worth it ?

is it worth it ?

is it worth it ?

is it worth it

really ? disappointing
    True- question I was asking is it worth DB pushing it with the sponsors from his point of view.

Your points still stand though and I do agree, but it is more difficult when dealing with the sponsors, maybe he has approached Sky?
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #254 on: October 10, 2012, 12:38 »
    is it worth it ?

is it worth it ?

is it worth it ?

is it worth it ?

is it worth it

really ? disappointing

From a sponsorship point of view, maybe not, but considering the amount they must be sh*tting around, they could easily. If MTN Qhubeka with a budget of 3 mill could
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #255 on: October 10, 2012, 12:48 »
    maybe a better question is what don´t Sky provide money re British cycling ?

all Olympic cycling

WC mens and womens road

Track mens and Womens

Road - Sky mens team

have no idea about MTB or para Olympic programs

but see the hole 
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #256 on: October 10, 2012, 13:00 »
    They definitely support GB MTB too. but only the team GB, not a separate team as would be the case ehre. It would be a cost thing, and that would take away from signing every person who could climb.
  • ReplyReply

• Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #257 on: October 10, 2012, 13:13 »
    The problem with one sponsor pouring so much into the sport in a single country is that there's always going to be a demand for them to do everything. I've seen demands for them to sponsor British races.  I mean, where does it stop?

I dont know why Sky dont seem to have the appetite to sponsor an elite pro womens team. 

But what I do know it that it seems strange that on one hand Brailsford and his management team get criticised like crazy for being sexist/not being 'fit' to run womens cycling teams (see criticism of handling of Pendleton and Pooley) and yet still looked to, to set up a team.  Make up your minds: are they fit to manage a womens road team, or not?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 13:36 by Rolling Along »

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #258 on: October 10, 2012, 13:26 »
    Sky are looking into the possibliity of a road team, but say they wont make a rush decision.

personally im against the idea. i would rather they put the money into womens race sponsorship, tv coverage of womens racing. etc
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #259 on: October 10, 2012, 13:34 »
    Sky are looking into the possibliity of a road team, but say they wont make a rush decision.

personally im against the idea. i would rather they put the money into womens race sponsorship, tv coverage of womens racing. etc

I wonder whether the TV coverage is an issue for them. As far as I know, Sky don't broadcast any live cycling, and I suspect so long as Eurosport are in the picture, are unlikely to. I can't see there being a huge market for domestic races for men or women.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #260 on: October 10, 2012, 13:40 »
    There is an increasing market though for International cycling though, and that maybe something which they could consider rivaling Eurosport- who are not considered the best in the business- for.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #261 on: October 10, 2012, 13:43 »
    Improve the shoitehouse golf coverage and maintain the cricket before getting on to cycling. Mind, if they pinch Laidlaw or Donnelly, I'd go apesh*t.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #262 on: October 10, 2012, 13:56 »
    There is an increasing market though for International cycling though, and that maybe something which they could consider rivaling Eurosport- who are not considered the best in the business- for.

No absolutely, but ES serves the whole of the European market including those places with a long and traditional cycling following. Sky would only be serving the UK market which - growing though it might be - is still not huge. Just watch - with the Tour and the Olympics out of the way, cycling will quietly drop from the press until next June. May, perhaps, if Wiggo takes on the Giro.

Besides which, and correct me if I'm wrong, Eurosport is only available in the UK to Sky subscribers. Unless - like me - you pay the £3 a month direct to them and thus gain access to their online streaming. But it means that Sky benefit commercially from the growing interest in international cycling without having to make any outlay.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2012, 13:59 »
    3 quid a flipping month? That's bloody robbery.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #264 on: October 10, 2012, 14:12 »
    I wonder whether the TV coverage is an issue for them. As far as I know, Sky don't broadcast any live cycling, and I suspect so long as Eurosport are in the picture, are unlikely to. I can't see there being a huge market for domestic races for men or women.

my thoughts being, if they have some spare money to put into womens cycling, rather than putting a million pounds (which is chicken feed to sky) into creating a womans team, i would rather see them looking at others ways to put money into the sport. They could sponsor the entire womens tour series for very little, i dont know what it would cost them to sponsor a race, but when you bear in mind how much the winner of the womens gent wevelgem for instance costs, sky could probably be a main sponsor of about ten races for that million remembering they arent just in the british market but italy ,germany etc.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #265 on: October 10, 2012, 14:35 »
    3 quid a flipping month? That's bloody robbery.

That depends on how much I watch it! And compares extremely favourably to the cost of a Sky subscription - the latter also having the downside of lining Murdoch's grimy pockets.

my thoughts being, if they have some spare money to put into womens cycling, rather than putting a million pounds (which is chicken feed to sky) into creating a womans team, i would rather see them looking at others ways to put money into the sport. They could sponsor the entire womens tour series for very little, i dont know what it would cost them to sponsor a race, but when you bear in mind how much the winner of the womens gent wevelgem for instance costs, sky could probably be a main sponsor of about ten races for that million remembering they arent just in the british market but italy ,germany etc.

I quite agree - I'd forgotten they had fingers in those particular continental pies.
  • ReplyReply

• Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #266 on: October 10, 2012, 15:15 »
    No absolutely, but ES serves the whole of the European market including those places with a long and traditional cycling following. Sky would only be serving the UK market which - growing though it might be - is still not huge. Just watch - with the Tour and the Olympics out of the way, cycling will quietly drop from the press until next June. May, perhaps, if Wiggo takes on the Giro.

Besides which, and correct me if I'm wrong, Eurosport is only available in the UK to Sky subscribers. Unless - like me - you pay the £3 a month direct to them and thus gain access to their online streaming. But it means that Sky benefit commercially from the growing interest in international cycling without having to make any outlay.

I'm not so sure about that.  Wiggins has just been voted UK's 'Most Influential Man', by a mens website polling 10k Brit guys, apparently. Everything he does gets media coverage. His new autobiography's out in Nov. He's fav to win SPOTY.  I dont think his popularity is a flash in the pan.  Cav might not get so much atention but his goings on are still getting press coverage.  Autumn's going to see the Revolution series shown on ITV4 again, I believe, and I bet it gets higher viewing figures that last season's series.

Hell, even the the Tour of Beijing got a mention in the sports pages of the Times today. Might only have been a 2 inch write up but a non-GT/non-ToB race - and one without Wiggo or Cav riding...
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #267 on: October 10, 2012, 15:32 »
    You're right, RA, at least I hope you are.

I'd love to see cycling become as common in the sports news as other sports (let's leave Football out of this for the moment). I suppose the new London cycle classic will help to keep eyes on cycling in the UK in the summer, alongside the Tour of Britain.

I'll think positive, and I agree that having Wiggo and Cav in the public eye will help keep the rest of the sport's profile high. I'm just not confident enough that it will be a high enough profile over the winter to register above the noise of football and all its January transfer melee, Six Nations rugby and whatever winter tour our Cricket team will be doing. Here's hoping, though :D
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #268 on: October 10, 2012, 21:08 »

These.  More professional women's teams would be fantastic, be they sponsored by Sky/BMC or whoever, but the issues are far deeper than that.  That is where the investment and re-structuring needs to go.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2020: Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards by LukasCPH
    [January 24, 2020, 20:30]

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by Joelsim
    [January 24, 2020, 19:45]

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by search
    [January 24, 2020, 19:41]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Joelsim
    [January 24, 2020, 18:59]

Re: Where to watch Cycling on TV 2020 by Joelsim
    [January 24, 2020, 18:53]

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by Joelsim