collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10890
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: Cycling Books
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 11:59 »

The Secret Race is a definitive look at the world of professional cycling—and the doping issue surrounding this sport and its most iconic rider, Lance Armstrong—by former Olympic gold medalist Tyler Hamilton and New York Times bestselling author Daniel Coyle.

Over the course of two years, Coyle conducted more than two hundred hours of interviews with Hamilton and spoke candidly with numerous teammates, rivals, and friends. The result is an explosive book that takes us, for the first time, deep inside a shadowy, fascinating, and surreal world of unscrupulous doctors, anything-goes team directors, and athletes so relentlessly driven to succeed that they would do anything—and take any risk, physical, mental, or moral—to gain the edge they need to win.

Tyler Hamilton was once one of the world’s best-liked and top-ranked cyclists—a fierce competitor renowned among his peers for his uncanny endurance and epic tolerance for pain. In the 2003 Tour de France, he finished fourth despite breaking his collarbone in the early stages—and grinding eleven of his teeth down to the nerves along the way. He started his career with the U.S. Postal Service team in the 1990s and quickly rose to become Lance Armstrong’s most trusted lieutenant, and a member of his inner circle. For the first three of Armstrong’s record seven Tour de France victories, Hamilton was by Armstrong’s side, clearing his way. But just weeks after Hamilton reached his own personal pinnacle—winning the gold medal at the 2004 Olympics—his career came to a sudden, ignominious end: He was found guilty of doping and exiled from the sport.

From the exhilaration of his early, naïve days in the peloton, Hamilton chronicles his ascent to the uppermost reaches of this unforgiving sport. In the mid-1990s, the advent of a powerful new blood-boosting drug called EPO reshaped the world of cycling, and a relentless, win-at-any-cost ethos took root. Its psychological toll would drive many of the sport’s top performers to substance abuse, depression, even suicide. For the first time ever, Hamilton recounts his own battle with clinical depression, speaks frankly about the agonizing choices that go along with the decision to compete at a world-class level, and tells the story of his complicated relationship with Lance Armstrong.

A journey into the heart of a never-before-seen world, The Secret Race is a riveting, courageous act of witness from a man who is as determined to reveal the hard truth about his sport as he once was to win the Tour de France.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3710
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 12:10 »
    One Way Road - Robbie McEwen

I liked the book.  Robbie is pretty amusing and his personality comes through fairly well in the book.   He is very full of himself - a huge attitude of "I am the best, and everyone else should have just let me through" kind of stuff - but over all, I enjoyed the book

My Dream Year - Philippe Gilbert

I liked this too (no surprise there ;D)
    Phil's personality doesnt come through much though.  It is written by a fan(?) in third hand - with excerpts that he has written, rather than being in his own words/thoughts.

It is only about last year (fair enough), and I thought it could have done with a bit more about where he has come from and stuff.

It did go in to how he was feeling during the year, and each point and a lot about stuff that happened.  At various points he wasnt exactly thrilled with his team (Greipel in the Tour, and the lack of support in the autumn classics.  The team was winding up, so didnt really do much to help him  (though he had announced he was going to BMC by then, so no real surprise that they didnt care if he was world no 1 or not).

He said the team pressured him substantially early on (the day after LBL) to sign a contract to renew with Omega ... which he wasnt too impressed with.

The major part I didnt like was when he was saying about the post-tour crits - he said 'I won this one' or 'Cadel won - 'he was stronger and fresher than me' without actually acknowledging that they are staged.  Either acknowledge they are fixed, or dont mention the result.  Dont pretend they are real races.

Anyway - overall, I really liked the book   ;D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 13:03 »

Lance Armstrong's War is the extraordinary story of greatness pushed to its limits; a vivid, behind-the-scenes portrait of perhaps the most accomplished athlete of our time as he vies for a historic sixth straight victory in the toughest sporting event on the planet. It is the true story of a superlative sports figure fighting on all fronts—made newly vulnerable by age, fate, fame, doping allegations, a painful divorce, and an unprecedented army of challengers—while mastering the exceedingly difficult trick of being Lance Armstrong, a combination of world-class athlete, celebrity, regular guy, and, for many Americans, secular saint.

With a new afterword by the author, featuring in-depth reporting on:

Armstrong's unprecedented seventh consecutive Tour de France victory
    New blood doping allegations
    Armstrong's continuing personal and legal battles, and his retirement
    A fascinating journey through the little-known landscape of professional bike racing, Lance Armstrong's War provides a hugely insightful look into the often inspiring, always surprising core of a remarkable athlete and the world that shapes him.

--This text refers to the Kindle Edition edition.

anyone read this ?

same author as Tylers´book
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 09:00 »
    next lot of books arrived today

read it finally to to be honest Meh - maybe I knew too much before reading it dry as a sandal warn in the middle east - meh only thing was that Eddy had 3 positives I always thought it was " only " 2

and the author has a new book which I will not be reading but some of you may want to.

Book Description
    Publication Date: 11 Oct 2012
    Bradley Wiggins is Britain's most successful and best known cyclist. He emerged as a talented track cyclist and then moved onto the roads with increasing success, culminating in his stunning summer of 2012 when he became the first British cyclist to win the Tour and bring home the yellow jersey and then went on to win Olympic gold in the time trial.

Daniel Friebe celebrates Wiggo's record breaking summer, as Team Sky took on the Tour de France and brought home the yellow jersey. He looks at the build up to the 2012 Tour as well as the strategy that brought ultimate success.

'Allez Wiggo!' - the cry of the French fans lining the roads who fell in love with our mod genius on two wheels.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 858
    « Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 10:18 »
    Eh, instant books are usually not much cop. Especially unauthorised autobiographies. I'll wait for Wiggo to put out his own book next year or whatever.
  • ReplyReply

• nvpacchi

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 13
    • Puttin' infinity up on trial

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 14:01 »
    Just read...

Great book, fascinating insight into his racing life, great rider..

As a man and a human being, what a complete and utter tosspot..
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 14:02 »
    Just started reading

Good interview with Fotheringham about the book on Cyclismas
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 14:04 »
    JSG have you read?

No not yet need to do a new road of book orders

The secret race got in the way
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6152
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 14:19 »

Goodness me.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

nvpacchi

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 14:35 »
    Just read...

Yes, this was a great one!  Though at times Howard seemed to try and defend Anquetil's questionable lifestyle
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 17:38 »
    Just read...

Didn't he do something like marry his trainer's wife (after they had divorced obviously) and then when she couldn't give him kids after he had retired, start sleeping with her daughter from her first marriage? 
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 17:42 »
    Didn't he do something like marry his trainer's wife (after they had divorced obviously) and then when she couldn't give him kids after he had retired, start sleeping with her daughter from her first marriage? 

to be honest, i lost track, he married, then remarried, then he starting having children through his stepdaughters, or something or other, then i think he had children through one stepdaughter while being married to the other.. god knows.. it was all a complete mess.

At one point he was involved with both his wife, and his stepdaughter, having children through the daughter, possibly the wife too, and when that fell apart, he had a child with his stepsons wife..
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 17:46 »
    Grandfather of his son/daughter?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 17:46 »
    to be honest, i lost track, he married, then remarried, then he starting having children through his stepdaughters, or something or other, then i think he had children through one stepdaughter while being married to the other.. god knows.. it was all a complete mess.

At one point he was involved with both his wife, and his stepdaughter, having children through the daughter, possibly the wife too, and when that fell apart, he had a child with his stepsons wife..

Right thats it..
    It is on the list  O0

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6152
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 18:17 »

Right thats it..
    It is on the list  O0

From meh to yay in two easy steps! ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Hugo Koblet

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 153
    « Reply #48 on: October 08, 2012, 13:27 »
    Has anyone read "Road to Valour: Gino Bartali: Tour de France Legend and Italy's Secret World War Two Hero"?

It's an biography on Bartali focusing on the years during the war. It's absolutely amazing. I started this morning and have now read 180 pages more or less without a pause.
  • ReplyReply
  • All this talk about equality. The only thing people really have in common is that they are all going to die.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #49 on: October 08, 2012, 14:08 »
    Has anyone read "Road to Valour: Gino Bartali: Tour de France Legend and Italy's Secret World War Two Hero"?

It's an biography on Bartali focusing on the years during the war. It's absolutely amazing. I started this morning and have now read 180 pages more or less without a pause.

Nice

it is now on the list that is 2  8)
  • ReplyReply

• nvpacchi

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 15:29 »

Yeah I read.  As a narrative of the war I enjoyed it.

But all his cycling accomplishments, Giro victories, classics achievements, Coppi rivalry (definitely this one)   were all pushed to the wayside.

I learned lots and was intrigued from a historical standpoint, but from a cycling standpoint- I felt it definitely lacked substance
  • ReplyReply

• Hugo Koblet

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 153
    « Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 16:04 »
    Yeah I read.  As a narrative of the war I enjoyed it.

But all his cycling accomplishments, Giro victories, classics achievements, Coppi rivalry (definitely this one)   were all pushed to the wayside.

I learned lots and was intrigued from a historical standpoint, but from a cycling standpoint- I felt it definitely lacked substance

Yeah, you're right about that. I am probably a bit biased because I study history and am currently writing my master's thesis on cycling in Italy from a historical perspective for which the book is very well suited.

It is as much a narrative about the life of a resistor during wartime as it is of a cyclist.
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 796
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #52 on: November 12, 2012, 16:29 »
    Just finished "Slaying the Badger" can highly recommend it.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 322
    "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1350
    « Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 18:19 »
    I read it in French and found it rather mild. Perhaps they doped the translation too. ;D

Fignon was one of the great cycling characters but I'm afraid his writing is pretty awful. Perhaps I took the whole "professor" thing with him too literally. ;)

What I enjoyed the most though, as I always have with retrospective autobiogs (as opposed to those ghostwritten for still-active riders), is the intimacy with which all the behind-the-scenes routines are described.

I read it in French too and I loved it. A lot of crusty anecdote and a great sense of humour. Of course Fignon is not Chateaubriand lol, but when you read the book in French and if you've heard him commentating races on TV, you really feel that it's him writing and nobody else. I just wish he had commented on his 1988 Paris-Roubaix defeat, there's no mentin of it. What I also liked is that there is no picture in it (which means a lot of text at an affordable price). At least in the French version.

However there's a terrible mistake in the book. On the tri-bar controversy he says that the UCI commissar at the Merckx GP 1989 who did not let him ride with the tri-bars was the same as the one who let LeMond ride the Tour de France with it. It's inaccurate. The commissar at the Merckx GP was Mr Ledent and at the Tour de France was Mr Jacquat. Mr Ledent was on duty at the Giro and did not let Hampsten race with the tri-bars either. Hence he was consistent with himself.

By the way L'arriviste, since you are fluent in French I'd like to recommend you these two great books (if you haven't already read it) ;):

Bordas' book influenced my stance on doping.  ;) Ollivier's book was probably the best biography I've ever read. Complete about all Coppi victories whatever their importance, his training methods and even a short bio about his gregarii: Ettore Milano and Andrea Carrea.

I also have a lot of books in Dutch but I don't know how your Dutch is.

Also read Half Man Half Bike, it is funny because I've had a look at Fotheringham's bibliography and realized that I had already read 50% of his sources in French.  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10432
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 18:48 »
    This one is on my shopping list! Marco's a cool guy and knows his 'science'... could be a good read!

does anyone know if there'll be a print version in english?
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #57 on: January 07, 2013, 03:18 »
    does anyone know if there'll be a print version in english?

only electronic is planned at this stage
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #58 on: January 28, 2013, 09:42 »
    just ordered

• ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 796
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #59 on: January 28, 2013, 14:19 »
    For those of you who like a bit of background and some stats I have just self published a book which you might like.

If you are in the UK and want one, inbox me.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/james-warrener/the-compact-guide-to-road-cycling/paperback/product-20594719.html

EDIT: Just seeing the cover next to my avatar lets you know its me!!! how vain I look...
  • ReplyReply

•