collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10844
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: Cycling Books
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2013, 08:31 »
just ordered

Books arrived and my Alabama Shakes cd yes I still buy cds and books how so last century of me  :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1333
    « Reply #61 on: February 08, 2013, 12:35 »
    I own a Dutch version of Road to Valour, I'm yet to read it but already flipped through and I really regretted having bought it.

Dozens of pages about the Tour de France, one or two about the Giro and NOTHING about the other races ...

They cannot hold a candle to Jean-Paul Ollivier's La véridique histoire de Gino Bartali who would consider sort of every kind of races Bartali entered ...

The Anquetil book does not interest me because Anquetil does not interest me at all. Boring rider. Classics hater.

Bahamontes OK. Could be interesting but I'm really waiting for Fotheringham's book on Flandrian cycling.   :)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #64 on: April 09, 2013, 13:44 »
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/14281/Marianne-Vos-presents-On-the-Throne-book-about-her-outstanding-2012-season.aspx

Vos book on 2012 season , only in Dutch at the moment

Marianne Vos ‏@marianne_vos 2m
    My book 'Op de Troon' is now available on my website: https://shop.mariannevosofficial.com/  By now it´s only in Dutch, an English version is in progress.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1129
    « Reply #66 on: April 25, 2013, 13:50 »
    I'd recommend 'In Search of Robert Millar'

Written by Richard Moore, who scaled the foothills of the sport and has personal experiences to draw upon, the book tries to identify why Millar was like he was but struggles to really pin down what he actually was like.

Along the way there are loads of interesting titbits of information about the eighties racing scene and for me, it certainly shed a lot of light on events of the time. It pretty much ignores the classics and concentrates on the real highs and lows, as far as Millar was concerned, the grand tours.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #67 on: April 25, 2013, 17:33 »
    One to put on the wishlist.. Watching the Lemond, Betsy, etc talk from Monday night, Albergotti was one of the guests and it was mentioned he has a book coming out..

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wheelmen-reed-albergotti/1114924446

Released in October

The first in-depth look at Lance Armstrong’s doping scandal, the phenomenal business success built on the back of fraud, and the greatest conspiracy in the history of sports

Lance Armstrong won a record-smashing seven Tours de France after staring down cancer, and in the process became an international symbol of resilience and courage. In a sport constantly dogged by blood-doping scandals, he seemed above the fray. Then, in January 2013, the legend imploded. He admitted doping during the Tours and, in an interview with Oprah, described his “mythic, perfect story” as “one big lie.” But his admission raised more questions than it answered—because he didn’t say who had helped him dope or how he skillfully avoided getting caught.

Wall Street Journal reporters Reed Albergotti and Vanessa O’Connell broke the news at every turn. In Wheelmen they reveal the broader story of how Armstrong and his supporters used money, power, and cutting-edge science to conquer the world’s most diffcult race. Wheelmen introduces U.S. Postal Service Team owner Thom Weisel, who in a brazen power play ousted USA Cycling’s top leadership and gained control of the sport in the United States, ensuring Armstrong’s dominance. Meanwhile, sponsors fought over contracts with Armstrong as the entire sport of cycling began to benefit from the “Lance effect.” What had been a quirky, working-class hobby became the pastime of the Masters of the Universe set.

Wheelmen offers a riveting look at what happens when enigmatic genius breaks loose from the strictures of morality. It reveals the competitiveness and ingenuity that sparked blood-doping as an accepted practice, and shows how the Americans methodically constructed an international operation of spies and revolutionary technology to reach the top. At last exposing the truth about Armstrong and American cycling, Wheelmen paints a living portrait of what is, without question, the greatest conspiracy in the history of sports.

Both the authors are generally crime and corruption reporters.. be interesting to read the stuff on Weisel etc..

At some point the women from the NYT who name momentarily escapes me is meant to have a book coming out as well.
  • ReplyReply

• esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 322
    « Reply #68 on: April 26, 2013, 10:57 »
    Keep an eye out for Ed Pickering's new book: The Race Against Time. Primarily about Obree and Boardman, but your Esa gets a chapter... should be on sale in May.  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #69 on: April 26, 2013, 17:00 »
    Just started reading

Good interview with Fotheringham about the book on Cyclismas

Finally got around to finishing this one.. give it a hesitant meh out of ten.. Its a good book, it covers his career well, but theres just something that doesnt sit quite right..

Basically Will Fotheringham is a huge EM fanboy, and as such, its a very idealistic potrayal. Doping allegations are largely brushed over, or dismissed as rumour, conjecture, and it tends to portray Eddie as an all round good guy.. It feels a bit like the result of Fleur writing Albertos biography, or AG writing Gilberts.. (although they at least would both be able to write with some perspective), Fotheringham doesnt.

Also get the feeling that a lot of it is based just on what other people have written, collated into a book. Its a good book, and gives you a great background to Mercx, but it just seems to be missing the "grit", Fotheringham has papered over the cracks and then slapped on a thick layer of gloss.

One thing that also struck me, and to an extent Sex, Lies and Handlebar tape is similar, there is very little race focus. SL&H does a better job but HMHB treats the races as almost secondary... "He won the giro and then started preparing for the Tour".. I want to know all the ins and outs, how he approached the race, where time was won and lost.. Thats one thing that stands out in "the search for Robert Millar".. the races are addressed in detail.
  • ReplyReply

• Shawn Gossman

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 14
      • Tour de Shawn
    « Reply #70 on: April 28, 2013, 02:52 »
    I blogged about my book collection at: http://www.tourdeshawn.com/reading-material-for-the-cyclist/ I have purchased quite a few more as well. :) I really like to read! And Write ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2012 Trek 1.1
    2011 Trek Marlin 29er
    Tour de Shawn - My personal cycling blog!

esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #71 on: April 29, 2013, 17:07 »
    Keep an eye out for Ed Pickering's new book: The Race Against Time. Primarily about Obree and Boardman, but your Esa gets a chapter... should be on sale in May.  :)

My pre-release copy arrived this morning... looks quite a good take on the rivalry between the two. Good chapter on power data etc for those interested...
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #72 on: April 29, 2013, 19:21 »
    Dim, when an author wants to write a biography about a star, usually it tends to be positive about the character. Negative portraits are rather rare, though they exist. I have quite a handful of those (not  to show off) but very few are negative.

However I own an EM biography by Marc Jeuniau, former commentator for RTBF and close friend of Merckx's - Face à face avec Eddy Merckx - (which Fotheringham cites as a source) who said in the foreword that he tried to be objective, realizing how hard it was but that the rider is sometimes harshly judged.

And indeed there's a passage in the book in which Jeuniau clearly said he didn't like the fact that Merckx and Torriani reconciled at the Milan Six 1970 with the latter giving Merckx a huge start bonus (there was talk about 80,000 BF a day; = €2,000) for his participation at that year's Giro, which EM refused to after the events of 1969.

And since the doping allegations about EM definitely smells fishy (but the last one) and he's merely about stimulants, it's all perfectly normal they're brushed over and at least dismissed as rumours. Friebe is more sceptical (or paranoid? :embarrassed)

What I did like about it is that there's a complete overview of all the races he's won. From Het Volk to Lombardy...

However when reading it I felt I was a bit bored because I already have so many books about Merckx (in the French-speaking part, it's almost all about him). I just bought it - plus Friebe's book - because I wanted to see it from a British perspective.

When I checked Fotheringham's bibliography though:

Eddy Merckx L'épopée by Théo Mathy  (Luc Pire) - I have it ! (great book)
    Eddy Merckx cet inconnu by Roger Bastide (Marabout, 1972) - available at my library and I read it
    Les géants du cyclisme belge by Théo Mathy (Arts et voyages, 1975) - I have it
    Tout Eddy by Stéphane Thirion (Jourdan, 2006) - I have it (crap book)
    Face à face avec Eddy Merckx (Arts & voyages, 1971) - I have it
    Plus d'un tour dans mon sac: Mes carnets de route 1972 - Eddy Merckx with Marc Jeuniau (Arts & voyages, 1972) - available at my library and I read it. I also own the diary 1971 and 1973.

So there was not much left that the book could tell me I didn't know.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5847
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #73 on: April 29, 2013, 19:33 »
    My pre-release copy arrived this morning... looks quite a good take on the rivalry between the two. Good chapter on power data etc for those interested...

Such modesty from a lovely bloke! Come on though, esa, you know what we really want to know: what did you make of the chapter on you?

Must be weird getting written about. Some Japanese guys (well known in JP cycling circles) did a podcast on my work today but listening to it I had no idea what they were saying for two hours (though they did struggle with the pronunciation of "Dopeology") but that felt pretty weird.

• ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #74 on: April 29, 2013, 20:28 »
    Ha! Admittedly it was a bit strange reading about oneself... Ed interviewed me over the phone whilst I was in Aus last year, but he'd obviously done his homework and research and there was plenty in there that brought back some memories... If I'm utterly honest, it's quite cathartic, but had you asked the same of me 12 years ago I would have run a mile not to have been interviewed! In the book I'm portrayed as 'The Third Man'... quite a compliment when being compared/contrasted to Obree and Boardman... I guess.

Unfortunately the book is 'embargoed' until mid-May, otherwise I'd stick some of it up on Velorooms.

L'arri mate, do you think the Japanese podcast will be translated? Would love to hear it...
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5847
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #75 on: April 29, 2013, 20:46 »
    L'arri mate, do you think the Japanese podcast will be translated? Would love to hear it...

Hope he made you sound good.

As for the JP japes, I doubt it. Two hours of very rapid dialogue. I don't even know if they were nice or nasty about the site. But there was a lot of "whoooooaaah" whatever they meant by that.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #76 on: May 23, 2013, 12:27 »

Will read Charley´s book always been a fan , plus want to hear about the WC
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #77 on: May 23, 2013, 13:27 »

Will read Charley´s book always been a fan , plus want to hear about the WC

I am always suspicious of books that use the words like 'truth' and 'facts' in the their titles.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

ak-zaaf

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #78 on: June 05, 2013, 17:28 »
    Hello all,

About 12 years ago I read my first book about cycling and since then it has been my favorite subject to read about. Over the years this has grown into a small collection. The reason I'm posting here is that I don't have many books in English (or any language but Dutch for that matter) and I'm wondering if I'm really missing some gems.

So here's my current collection, if you would be kind enough to look through it and see if I'm missing some 'unmissable' books I'd really appreciate it.

(Sorry for the formatting, I copied it from an xls file I made)

Titel      Subtitel      Auteur   Auteur 2   Bijz   Taal
    1   Kampioenen twijfelen niet   -   Geschiedenis van de wielersport in 100 portretten   -   Aart Aarsbergen   Peter Nijssen      
    2   Tour de France   -   De grootste winnaars   -   Aart Aarsbergen   Peter Nijssen      
    3   Rik van Steenbergen   -      -   Achiel van den Broek         
    4   Leve de Vuelta!   -      -   Adrian Bell   Lucy Fallon      
    5   Fausto Koppie   -      -   Anke de Vries         
    6   Tour de France   -   Wielerkronieken uit l'Equipe 1954-1980   -   Antoine Blondin         
    7   Langs het ravijn   -   Het veelbewogen wielerleven van Johan van der Velde   -   Bart Jungmann         
    8   Het zweet der Goden   -      -   Benjo Maso         
    9   Van Milaan naar Amsterdam   -   De Giro buiten de Italiaanse grenzen   -   Benjo Maso         
    10   Wij waren allemaal Goden   -      -   Benjo Maso         
    11   De proloog   -      -   Bert Wagendorp         
    12   Bjarne Riis   -   Wielerleven met bergen en dalen   -   Bjarne Riis         
    13   Highlights   -   The 2004 season of roadcycling   -   Cor Vos   Marketa Navratilova      
    14   Highlights   -   The 2005 season of roadcycling   -   Cor Vos   Marketa Navratilova      
    15   Highlights   -   The 2006 season of roadcycling   -   Cor Vos   Marketa Navratilova      
    16   Highlights   -   The 2002 season of roadcycling   -   Cor Vos         
    17   Highlights   -   The 2003 season of roadcycling   -   Cor Vos         
    18   Lance Armstrong's oorlog   -      -   Daniel Coyle         
    19   Koersen in het duister   -      -   David Millar         
    20   Wielersport   -   De fiets – uitrusting – tactiek   -   Derk de Boer         
    21   De sterren van de Tour de France   -      -   Dick van den Berg         
    22   De Ronde van Italië   -      -   Dino Buzzati         
    23   Alleen vooruit   -   Hennie Kuiper, kampioen van het volk   -   Dominique Elshout         
    24   Onvergetelijke momenten uit het wielrennen   -      -   Dominique Grimault         
    25   Op weg naar Alpe d'Huez   -      -   Dries van Agt   Frans van Agt      
    26   Peloton akkoord met Roche als patron   -   De wondere wereld van de wielersport. Deel 7   -   Eddy Merckx   Han de Gruiter      
    27   Coaches en kampioenen   -      -   Eddy Soetaert         
    28   Heimwee naar Navarra   -      -   Edwin Winkels         
    29   De zaak Festina   -      -   Eric Rijckaert         
    30   Wielerklassiekers   -      -   Erik Breukink         
    31   Zero dope   -      -   Frank van de Winkel         
    32   Ik ben God niet   -      -   Frank Vandenbroucke         
    33   De Kneet   -      -   Frans van Schoonderwalt   Leo van de Ruit      
    34   Alles uit de kast   -   Van Armstrong tot Zoetemelk   -   Frans van Schoonderwalt         
    35   Rik van Steenbergen   -   Kampioenenreeks   -   Fred De Bruyne         
    36   Jan Janssen   -   Vedette op de grens   -   Fred van Slogteren         
    37   Karaktermens Peter Post   -      -   Fred van Slogteren         
    38   Wielerhelden van Oranje   -   Een uitgave ter gelegenheid van het 75-jarig jubileum van de KNWU   -   Fred van Slogteren         
    39   Alpe d'Huez en andere wielerverhalen   -      -   Gerard Hutting         
    40   Geen zomer zonder Tour   -      -   Gerard Hutting         
    41   Verlangen naar de Giro   -      -   Gijs Zandbergen   Marco Pinotti      
    42   Naar het land van water & zeep   -      -   Gijs Zandbergen   Reinier Honig      
    43   Het zure leven van Bart Zoet   -      -   Gijs Zandbergen         
    44   Het geheim van het peloton   -   Strategie en tactiek in de tour   -   Graeme Fife         
    45   Wie gelooft die coureurs nog?   -      -   Hans Vandeweghe         
    46   Wielrennen   -      -   Harm Kuipers         
    47   8 sec.   -      -   Herman Chevrolet         
    48   De Flandriens   -      -   Herman Chevrolet         
    49   Het feest van list en bedrog   -      -   Herman Chevrolet         
    50   Wielerjaarboek 1998-1999   -      -   Herman Harens         
    51   Wielerjaarboek 2000-2001   -      -   Herman Harens         
    52   Wielerjaarboek 2003-2004   -      -   Herman Harens         
    53   Demarrage in geluk   -      -   Hugo Camps         
    54   Koers   -      -   Hugo Camps         
    55   Alles over wielrennen   -      -   J. Reuvecamp         
    56   Cyclopedie   -   Almanak van het profwielrennen   -   Jacob Bergsma   Raymond Kerckhoffs      
    57   Het wielrenboek   -      -   Jacob Bergsma         
    58   De vliegende neger en de kleine koningin   -   Major Taylor en het begin van de Tour de France   -   Jan Boesman         
    59   De troostprijs is een gele trui   -      -   Jan Cottaar         
    60   Met banddikte   -      -   Jan Derksen         
    61   Pijn is Genot   -      -   Jan Siebelink         
    62   Alles of niets   -      -   Jan Ullrich         
    63   De Tour de France in beeld   -      -   Jean Nelissen   Matthijs Linnemann      
    64   De bijbel van 101 jaar Tour   -      -   Jean Nelissen         
    65   De mythe voorbij   -      -   Jean Nelissen         
    66   Doping   -   Het duivelse spel met leven en gezondheid   -   Jean Nelissen         
    67   Het intrigerende wielerleven van Jean Nelissen   -      -   Jean Nelissen         
    68   Leven voorbij de pijngrens   -      -   Jean Nelissen         
    69   De waarheid van de Tourbaas   -      -   Jean-Marie Leblanc         
    70   De helden van het wielrennen   -      -   Jean-Paul Ollivier         
    71   Memoires van een wielerverzorger   -      -   Jef D'Hont         En
    72   Bad blood   -   The secret life of the Tour de France   -   Jeremy Whittle         
    73   De Planckaerts   -   Kroniek van een wielerdynastie   -   Jeroen Denaeghel         
    74   De vele wegen naar Parijs   -      -   Jeroen Wielaert         
    75   Gert-Jan Theunisse   -   De fiets, de fiets en verder niets   -   Jeroen Wielaert         
    76   Tourpassies   -   Interviews door Jeroen Wielaert   -   Jeroen Wielaert         
    77   A dog in a hat   -   An American bike racer's story of mud, drugs, blood, betrayal, and beauty in Belgium   -   Joe Parkin         
    78   Alleen winnen telt   -      -   Johan Bruyneel   Bill Strickland      
    79   Alpe d'Huez   -      -   Johan Faber         
    80   Den Dré   -   Koning der Kermiscourses en... der pantsersmokkelwagens   -   John Braspennincx         
    81   Pedalare! Pedalare!   -   A history of Italian cycling   -   John Foot         
    82   23 dagen in juli   -      -   John Wilcockson         
    83   Lance Armstrong   -      -   John Wilcockson         
    84   Het geheim van Raleigh   -      -   Joop Holthausen         
    85   Temidden der kampioenen   -      -   Joris van den Bergh         
    86   Wim van Est   -   Zijn hart stond stil   -   Karel Hubert   Jeroen Jansen      
    87   Kronieken   -      -   Karsten Kroon         
    88   Natuurlijk fietsen   -   Een harmonie van mens en machine   -   Kor van Hulten         
    89   Door de pijngrens   -      -   Lance Armstrong         
    90   Elke seconde telt   -      -   Lance Armstrong         
    91   Eddy Merckx   -      -   Louis Clicteur   Lucien Berghmans      
    92   Wie de trui past, trekke hem aan   -      -   Maarten Ducrot         
    93   Boogie   -      -   Maarten Scholten         
    94   Erik Dekker   -   De biografie   -   Manon Colson         
    95   Steven Rooks   -   De sportman van het jaar   -   Mario de Boer         
    96   100 mannen   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    97   De kopgroep   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    98   De Tour van ´80   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    99   De Tour wacht op niemand   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    100   Dertig   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    101   Een lange ontsnapping   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    102   Geel   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    103   Het laatste geel   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    104   Kopmannen en waterdragers   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    105   Op koers   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    106   Overleven   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    107   Rugnummers en ingevette benen   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    108   Stoempen, snot en sterven   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    109   Top   -      -   Mart Smeets         
    110   De klimmers   -      -   Martin Ros   Wout Koster      
    111   Triomf   -      -   Martin Ros         
    112   De dood van Marco Pantani   -      -   Matt Rendell         
    113   Handboek Tour de France 2012   -      -   Michael Boogerd   Maarten Scholten      
    114   Handboek Tour de France 2013   -      -   Michael Boogerd   Maarten Scholten      
    115   De generatie Boonen   -      -   Michel Wuyts         
    116   Eddy!   -      -   Michel Wuyts         
    117   Het grote tourquizboek   -      -   Michel Wuyts         
    118   Het jaar van Tom Boonen   -      -   Michel Wuyts         
    119   Als je niet kunt verliezen, kun je ook niet winnen   -      -   Mik Schots   Jan Luitzen      
    120   In de Tour   -      -   Nando Boers         
    121   Greg Lemond   -   Cyclescoop   -   Noël Truyers         
    122   De gladiolen en de dood   -      -   Pascal Kolkhuis Tanke         
    123   Parijs – Roubaix   -   1943-1991   -   Pascal Sergent         En
    124   De droom van de Giro   -      -   Paul Feld   Ludo van Klooster      En
    125   Sex, lies and handlebartape   -   The remarkable life of Jaques Anquetil   -   Paul Howard         
    126   Rough ride   -      -   Paul Kimmage         
    127   Pelotonpost   -      -   Pedro Horrillo         
    128   Vanaf mijn zadel   -      -   Pedro Horrillo         
    129   Het grote Tourboek   -      -   Peter Ouwerkerk   Hans-Jörgen Nicolai      
    130   In koers!   -   10 jaar fietsen met Rabobank   -   Peter Ouwerkerk   Wilfried de Jong      
    131   Ongekend   -   Rini Wagtmans, van straatjongen tot ridder   -   Peter Ouwerkerk         
    132   Parijs is nog ver   -      -   Peter Ouwerkerk         
    133   Tourkoorts   -   25 jaar Tour de France 1971-1995   -   Peter Ouwerkerk         
    134   Pedaalridder   -      -   Peter Winnen         
    135   Stoempwerk en andere verhalen   -      -   Peter Winnen         
    136   Valse start   -      -   Peter Winnen         
    137   Van Santander naar Santander   -   Brieven uit het peloton   -   Peter Winnen         
    138   De klassiekers   -      -   Phillipe Bouvet   Philippe Brunel      
    139   Tour de France 100 jaar   -   1903-2003   -   Phillipe Bouvet   Philippe Brunel      
    140   Lance en de rest   -      -   Raymond Kool         
    141   Slaying the badger   -   Lemond, Hinault and the greatest ever Tour de France   -   Richard Moore         
    142   Ik, Rik   -      -   Rik van Looy   Rob Jans      
    143   Het standaardboek van de Tour   -      -   Rik Vanwalleghem   Marc Mercy      
    144   Merckx, mens & mythe   -      -   Rik Vanwalleghem   Philippe Brunel      
    145   De Ronde van Vlaanderen   -      -   Rik Vanwalleghem         
    146   Triomf en tragiek op de Tourcols   -      -   Robert Janssens   Raymond Kerckhoffs      
    147   In het wiel   -      -   Robert Janssens         
    148   Wielrennen 2004   -   Fotoboek   -   Roberto Bettini   Graham Watson      
    149   Het Volk... en wat volgt   -      -   Rolf Gölz         
    150   Wielerklassiekers   -      -   Ron Couwenhoven         
    151   Kameroen in 59 dagen   -      -   Simon Rifoe         
    152   Eddy op en top   -      -   Stéphane Thirion         
    153   Handboek Tour de France '82   -      -   Theo Koomen         
    154   De ereronde van de Eland   -      -   Thijs Zonneveld         
    155   Dit is onze tijd   -   De leiders van de oranje wielerrevolutie   -   Thijs Zonneveld         
    156   Ik heb een hele andere wedstrijd gezien   -      -   Thijs Zonneveld         
    157   Koos, Kenny en Johnny   -      -   Thijs Zonneveld         
    158   Schoon genoeg   -      -   Thomas Dekker         
    159   43 wielerverhalen   -      -   Tim Krabbé         
    160   De Renner   -      -   Tim Krabbé         
    161   De scherprechter van Korfoe   -      -   Tim Krabbé         En
    162   De Tour de France met de Britse slag   -      -   Tim Moore         
    163   The secret race   -      -   Tyler Hamilton   Daniel Coyle      
    164   Het gouden kwintet   -   Peter Post, Gerrie Knetemann, Jan Raas, Joop Zoetemelk, Hennie Kuiper   -   Wencel Maresch         
    165   De linkerbil van Bettini   -      -   Wilfried de Jong         
    166   De man en zijn fiets   -      -   Wilfried de Jong         
    167   Kop in de wind   -      -   Wilfried de Jong         
    168   Eddy Merckx   -   Half mens, half fiets   -   William Fotheringham         
    169   Prikken en slikken    -   Memoires van een wielersoigneur   -   Willy Voet         
    170   30 jaar Amstel Gold Race   -   1966 t/m 1995   -   Wim van Eyle         
    171   De klassiekers   -      -   Wim van Eyle         
    172   Een eeuw Nederlandse wielersport   -   Van Jaap Eden tot Joop Zoetemelk   -   Wim van Eyle         
    173   Andiamo!   -   Een eeuw Giro d'Italia   -            
    174   Cyclisme   -   Standaardwerk 1978   -            
    175   De Muur   -   Nr. 1 / Juni 2002   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    176   De Muur   -   Nr. 10 / Juni 2005   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    177   De Muur   -   Nr. 11 / Oktober 2005   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    178   De Muur   -   Nr. 12 / Maart 2006   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    179   De Muur   -   Nr. 13 / Juni 2006   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    180   De Muur   -   Nr. 14 / Oktober 2006   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    181   De Muur   -   Nr. 15 / November 2006   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    182   De Muur   -   Nr. 16 / Maart 2007   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    183   De Muur   -   Nr. 17 / Juni 2007   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    184   De Muur   -   Nr. 18 / Oktober 2007   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    185   De Muur   -   Nr. 19 / Januari 2008   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    186   De Muur   -   Nr. 2 / Oktober 2002   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    187   De Muur   -   Nr. 20 / Maart 2008   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    188   De Muur   -   Nr. 21 / Juni 2008   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    189   De Muur   -   Nr. 22 / Oktober 2008   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    190   De Muur   -   Nr. 23 / Januari 2009   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    191   De Muur   -   Nr. 24 / Maart 2009   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    192   De Muur   -   Nr. 25 / Juni 2009   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    193   De Muur   -   Nr. 26 / Oktober 2009   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    194   De Muur   -   Nr. 28 / Maart 2010   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    195   De Muur   -   Nr. 29 / Juni 2010   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    196   De Muur   -   Nr. 3 / Maart 2003   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    197   De Muur   -   Nr. 30 / Oktober 2010   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    198   De Muur   -   Nr. 32 / Maart 2011   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    199   De Muur   -   Nr. 34 / Oktober 2011   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    200   De Muur   -   Nr. 36 / Maart 2012   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    201   De Muur   -   Nr. 38 / September 2012   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    202   De Muur   -   Nr. 4 / Juni 2003   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    203   De Muur   -   Nr. 40 / Maart 2013   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    204   De Muur   -   Nr. 5 / Oktober 2003   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    205   De Muur   -   Nr. 6 / Maart 2004   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    206   De Muur   -   Nr. 7 / Juni 2004   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    207   De Muur   -   Nr. 8 / Oktober 2004   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    208   De Muur   -   Nr. 9 / Maart 2005   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    209   De Muur special – Temidden der Kampioenen   -   Nr. 27 / Januari 2010   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    210   Dries op de fiets   -   80 etappes uit een politieke Tour de force   -            
    211   Eddy Merckx   -   Het volk over Eddy Merckx. Uitspraken over een idool   -            
    212   Het Buitenblad   -   Nr. 1 / 2008   -         Literair tijdschrift   
    213   Ode aan de fiets   -   Verhalen, gedichten, columns en tekeningen   -            
    214   Quick Step Cycling 2010   -      -         Gesigneerde persgids (Boonen, Chavanel, De Weert, Hovelijnck, Hulsmans, Keisse, Weylandt, Wynants)   
    215   Verhalen over de Giro d'Italia   -      -            
    216   Verhalen over de Tour de France   -      -            
    217   Wielerrevue   -   1981   -            

And my current 'wishlist':

Tomorrow, We Ride   Jean Bobet
    The Full Cycle   Vin Denson
    Wide-Eyed and Legless: Inside the Tour de France   Jeff Connor
    Roger de Vlaeminck   Carl Huybrechts
    The Eagle of the Canavese   Herbie Sykes
    We were young and carefree   Laurent Fignon
    Team 7-eleven   Geoff Drake
    The cycling prefessor   Marco Pinotti
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #79 on: June 05, 2013, 17:51 »
    Wowzers.. im momentarily taken aback by that list..
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #80 on: June 05, 2013, 19:42 »
    Hello all,

About 12 years ago I read my first book about cycling and since then it has been my favorite subject to read about. Over the years this has grown into a small collection. The reason I'm posting here is that I don't have many books in English (or any language but Dutch for that matter) and I'm wondering if I'm really missing some gems.

So here's my current collection, if you would be kind enough to look through it and see if I'm missing some 'unmissable' books I'd really appreciate it.

(Sorry for the formatting, I copied it from an xls file I made)

Titel      Subtitel      Auteur   Auteur 2   Bijz   Taal
    1   Kampioenen twijfelen niet   -   Geschiedenis van de wielersport in 100 portretten   -   Aart Aarsbergen   Peter Nijssen      
    <snipped for brevity>
    217   Wielerrevue   -   1981   -            

No David Walsh?????

He has written a few cycling books, some non dope related.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #81 on: June 05, 2013, 20:08 »
    I must own some 60 books about cycling. I don't have them with me at the moment but I'll try to make up a list.

Of course I won't waste my money buying books about Bore de France and its "heroes" ...

1 De Flandriens - Michel Wuyts/Canvas
    2 De Flandriens van het veld - Michel Wuyts/Canvas
    3 Forcenés - Philippe Bordas
    4 Le vélo à l'heure allemande - Jean Bobet
    5 Eddy Merckx : Half Man Half Bike - William Fotheringham
    6 Eddy Merckx : the Cannibal - Daniel Friebe
    7 De wielerklassiekers tot 2000 - Fer Schroeders
    8 Belles d'un jour : l'histoire des grandes classiques - L'Equipe
    9 Paris-Roubaix : une journée en enfer - L'Equipe
    10 Paris-Roubaix : une classique unique - Michel D'argenton and Pascal Sergent
    11 La merveilleuse histoire du Tour des Flandres - Michel D'Argenton and Claude Degauquier
    12 Poulidor intime - Raymond Poulidor & Jean-Paul Brouchon
    13 Les victoires de Poulidor - Yves Jean
    14 Jean-Pierre Monseré : voor altijd 22 - Mark Van Hamme
    15 Jempi : getuigenissen over wereldkampioen wielrennen 1970 Jean-Pierre Monseré - Manu Adriaens & Eddy Brouckaert
    16 Fausto Coppi : la gloire et les larmes - Jean-Paul Ollivier
    17 La véridique histoire de Gino Bartali - Jean-Paul Ollivier
    18 Louison Bobet - Jean-Paul Ollivier
    19 Brik Schotte : de Laatste der Flandriens - Rik Van Walleghem
    20 Patrick Sercu : portret van een puzzel - Rik Van Walleghem
    21 Het Rijke Vlaemsche Wielerleven - Karel Van Wijnendaele (published in 1943)
    22 Mijn mémoires onverbloemd - Roger De Vlaeminck & Carl Huybrechts
    23 Roger De Vlaeminck Top 60 Mens en Renner : Dries Vanysacker & Roger De Maertelaere
    24 Roger De Vlaeminck : Monsieur Paris-Roubaix : Dries Vanysacker (French adaptation of the previous one)
    25 Eddy Merckx: l'épopée - Théo Mathy
    26 Mes 50 victoires en 1973 - Eddy Merckx and René Jacobs
    27 Face à face avec Eddy Merckx - Marc Jeuniau
    28 Le centenaire du Tour de Lombardie - Claude Degauquier
    29 Albert Van Damme: de Leeuw van Laarne - Stefan Van Laere
    30 Le cycliste perdu -  David Herlihy
    31 Cyclocross - Michel Wuyts
    32 Rik Van Looy : Empereur - Claude Degauquier
    33 Felice Gimondi: le champion de Bergamo - Claude Degauquier & Franco Tota
    34 Ferdi Kübler: l'Aigle d'Adliswil - Claude Degauquier
    35 Fiorenzo Magni: le Lion de Monza - Claude Degauquier
    36 Fons De Wolf: la classe et le gaspi - Claude Degauquier
    37 Ferdinand Bracke: un champion à l'heure - Claude Degauquier
    38 Jan Janssen: en attendant son tour - Jean-Pierre Marcuola
    39 Joseph Bruyère - Didier Malempré
    40 100 jaar Ronde van Vlaanderen - http://www.rondevanvlaanderen.be/nl/elite-men/news/2013-03/142/100-jaar-ronde-van-vlaanderen
    41 Un siècle de cyclisme - Hervé Paturle & Christian Rebière
    42 De miljoenenfiets van Rik Van Steenbergen - Achiel van den Broek
    43 De klassiekers: de mooiste verhalen over de wielerklassiekers uit De Muur
    44 Les géants du cyclisme belge - Théo Mathy
    45 Mes carnets de routes de la saison 1971 - Eddy Merckx & Marc Jeuniau
    46 La gloire dans les labours : grandes et petites histoires du championnat du monde de cyclocross - Pascal Sergent
    47 Le livre d'or de Stan Ockers - Claude Degauquier
    48 De Leeuw van Toscane - Aili & Andres McConnon
    49 Fred De Bruyne: les bon jours d'Alfred - Claude Degauquier & Jean-Pierre Marcuola
    50 Kampioenen twijfelen niet. Geschiedenis van de wielersport in 100 portretten - Aart Aartsbergen & Peter Nijssen
    51 Le peloton des souvenirs: Hinault par Bernard Hinault - Bernard Hinault & Paul Rembert
    52 Nous étions jeunes et insouciants - Laurent Fignon
    53 Roland Liboton: ik ben de grootste - Noël Truyers
    54 Paris-Brest-Paris: 120 ans, 1200km - Jacques Seray
    55 Tout Eddy - Stéphane Thirion
    56 Mes quatre vérités - Raphaël Geminiani
    57 Mes cinq géants du cyclisme - Raphaël Geminiani
    58 Six Provinces 1954: l'envolée de Charly Gaul - Jacques Desforges
    59 Cyclisme: les moments inoubliables - Dominique Grimault
    60 Les fabuleux exploits d'Eddy Merckx - Yves Duval & Christian Lippens (comic strip)
    61 La fabuleuse histoire du cyclisme - Pierre Chany

Edit (I forgot about the following ones):

62 Van Thys tot Nys: 100 jaar Belgisch Kampioenschap Veldrijden - Luc Lamon & Mark Van Hamme
    63 Herman 68 - Marc Uytterhoeven
    64 Van Santander naar Santander: Brieven uit het peloton   -   Peter Winnen
    65 La petite reine en Wallonie - La Maison de la Mémoire du cyclisme

There must be one another book about Merckx but I don't recall the title or some other ones, I'll have to check it on my cycling bookshelf (which is bound to fall, now, too heavy  :D)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 18:28 by Echoes »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #82 on: June 06, 2013, 18:23 »

The De Vlaeminck boek is actually Roger himself speaking. Huybrechts only brought it into a well-structured text  (Roger is not an author after all). Good book. Many insights but also 'typically Flemish' lol.

Fignon's book (in French) is among the most fun I've read about cycling. Only disappointment is that he did not talk about the 1988 Paris-Roubaix ...

I would also like to have Denson's book. My wishlist for the moment would be:

Flandria: de 20 wondere jaren van een wielerploeg - Mark Van Hamme
    Tino Tabak: Dreams and Demons of a New Zealand Cycling Legend - Jonathan Kennett
    La véridique histoire de Tom Simpson - Jean-Paul Ollivier
    De Roze Panter: een boek over de carriere van de laatste Belgische Girowinnaar - Willy Cardon
    De Kneet   -      -   Frans van Schoonderwalt   Leo van de Ruit      (thanks to you, lol).
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #83 on: June 12, 2013, 14:35 »

I am 120ish page through this - great open read.

Talks about LeMond - calls him a wheelsucker and the fact he cheated in the ITT at the 8 sec tour

and this quote

really enjoying this book so far

ive just got it, been meaning to get around to reading it for ages.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #84 on: June 12, 2013, 14:44 »
    ive just got it, been meaning to get around to reading it for ages.

best cycling book I have read in the last few years  really enjoyed it

but he was a hero of mine
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #85 on: June 12, 2013, 16:22 »
    Currently reading this inbetween races

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #86 on: June 12, 2013, 16:27 »
    Currently reading this inbetween races

any good is on my list for the next order
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #87 on: June 12, 2013, 19:56 »
    any good is on my list for the next order
    Enjoying it so far, but only up to Chapter 3 when he signs for Mapei and goes professional.

It is well written. Wegelius seems a determined character, but swears a tad too much for my liking.

I bought the book, because it was less about the glory of cycling and more about the hard work of being a domestique.

I recently read Stephen Roche's autobiography and didn't enjoy it all.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #88 on: June 13, 2013, 11:16 »
    There is a deeply disturbing chapter in the Wegelius when he gives his side of the road race story at the 2005 World Championships in Madrid.

Summarising, Wegelius and Southam rode for the Italians and not Team GB in exchange for €2,500. Wegelius had told the team manager, John Herety, of his plans beforehand. End result, Wegelius and Southam, were banned from riding for Team GB again and had to pay back flight and accommodation costs. Herety resigned. The inquiry seems to been have led by a certain Dave Brailsford.

The reason I find this disturbing is the hypocrisy of it all and not because riders from certain countries will ride for others when their country has no chance of winning.

Wasn't Kiryienka doing exactly the same thing in the Olympic Road Race in 2012? This was before he had officially became a team member of Sky and was riding early doors to keep the gap to the break under control.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #89 on: June 13, 2013, 11:21 »
    There is a deeply disturbing chapter in the Wegelius when he gives his side of the road race story at the 2005 World Championships in Madrid.

Summarising, Wegelius and Southam rode for the Italians and not Team GB in exchange for €2,500. Wegelius had told the team manager, John Herety, of his plans beforehand. End result, Wegelius and Southam, were banned from riding for Team GB again and had to pay back flight and accommodation costs. Herety resigned. The inquiry seems to been have led by a certain Dave Brailsford.

The reason I find this disturbing is the hypocrisy of it all and not because riders from certain countries will ride for others when their country has no chance of winning.

Wasn't Kiryienka doing exactly the same thing in the Olympic Road Race in 2012? This was before he had officially became a team member of Sky and was riding early doors to keep the gap to the break under control.

Bernie even told the Austrian press he was riding for Cav at the Olympics
  • ReplyReply

•