collapse

Poll

Is Horner's Vuelta win believeable, in terms of clean racing, in your opinion?

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10901
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6881
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Chris Horner
« Reply #391 on: February 16, 2015, 15:50 »
"It's a great challenge to come back to the US, ride the local races, mentor the youngsters, and see how much the scene has improved since ten years ago, blah-blah."

And I didn't even read the article. :-x
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2375
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #392 on: February 17, 2015, 02:02 »
    When I ride my bike, everywhere I go people in cars are yelling, 'Horner' and honking their horn. I've got people who pull over and stop to get a picture with me. So am I supposed to care about 10 guys on the world wide internet that hate me or write something bad?
    Good to see that Chris is keeping track of The Clinic 12 recently losing two members.  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6612
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #394 on: April 10, 2015, 03:21 »
     :lol

Actually, my link shows Christopher looking a bit buff.

Quite a different physique from the man who conquered one of the legendary Grand Tours:

Say what you want, but that boy is sportin' some serious pro legs in his new Airgas kit.

And if I ever do get around to it, I haven't forgotten about the long-awaited Chris Horner thread that I've been threatening to unveil for about, um, 18 months now. I do think it will prove to be most entertaining, but it requires some serious diligence on my part to string together all the necessary links. Stay tuned...

That's what I always say though.
      :P
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #396 on: May 24, 2015, 02:47 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-what-other-american-can-they-bring-thats-more-popular-than-me

The URL says is it all, really. :fp

Is this dude the most unhealthy pro to ever straddle a bike? WTF?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-battles-lung-ailment-at-tour-of-the-gila

April 30, 2015
    The problem with Horner's lungs started in last year's Tour de France, where he and a number of riders in the peloton came down with bronchitis.
    "Last week they did a bronchial scope, but it takes a week for one test and a month to get the results from another, because they have to grow the stuff they pull out of your lungs. Hopefully they can find something there,"

Then from the original link.
    May 24, 2015
    I think whatever I had in the Tour is still lingering.  :S
    Cyclingnews: How is the health doing? How are the lungs?

Horner: I've still got the problem so we'll see if I can clear it up. I'm trying out some heavy new antibiotics that I haven't tried before, so we'll see if that does the work for it or not.

I'll need a little bit of time in the race to see how my lungs are functioning and how it's worked with the medication and the antibiotics and just the different weather and climate we've got here.
    Basically, the condition I have, the doctors have called it a chronic bronchitis. None of them can tell me if I can get rid of it. Is it going to be gone? Is it six months? Is it one year? Is it going to be for the rest of life or whatever? The best I can get from a doctor so far is that I have chronic bronchitis.

NOT. NORMAL.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2618
    « Reply #397 on: May 24, 2015, 09:34 »
    After suffering from bronchitis that was really hard to get rid of last year, I am not that surprised. I struggled with it for approximately 3 months. I also had colleagues that experienced similar, hard-to-get-rid-of infections. If Horner encountered a similar bug but tried to keep training at pro athlete intensity I consider it feasible he might have screwed himself up to the point where he won't be able to come back and win races.
    Cyclists have a "get up again and move on" attitude which is admirable when you see them suffer falls and injuries yet complete the race nevertheless. (Image of Adriano Malori in last year's giro comes to mind.) However, physical trauma is one thing, and the immune system something quite different. Under stress, the body can deal with some level of physical trauma using various countermeasures from simply coagulation of blood to adrenaline. If exposed to severe cold, the body will limit blood streaming in capillaries - which leaves your toes and fingers cold but maintains core temperature reasonably well. All these systems work while the body is stressed.
    The immune system basically waits until the stress factors are removed before it can do its job.

Training is stressing the body to prepare for even harder stress to come later. When an athlete continues to train despite suffering from an infection, the immune response is delayed and may be weaker than required to fix the problem in a reasonable amount of time. It can lead to a situation where the health of the athlete can be damaged, maybe not for life but at least for many years to come, even if they quit sports altogether.
    There are some exceptional circumstances surrounding Chris Horner, of course (to start with there are not that many GT winners) , but quite credible athletes have suffered somewhat similar fates in the past (Thor Hushovd, for example). In other words, as far as doping allegations go, the way you turn Chris Horner's current health problems into "evidence" is wrong.

By the way, viral infections can not be cured by antibiotics. From reading sports news, it appears most athletes believe they can, as they regularly get antibiotics for viral infections. Overuse of antibiotics is a serious problem on world population scale, more people should simply go back to bed and let the immune system do what it does quite well more often. It could even save a racer's career once in a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #398 on: May 24, 2015, 13:18 »
    In other words, as far as doping allegations go, the way you turn Chris Horner's current health problems into "evidence" is wrong.
    I'm not turning his health problems into "evidence" of anything other the fact that he has lingering health problems that he's apparently trying to throw a boat load of drugs at.

I understand how symptoms can be exacerbated by environment and behavior, but at this point in his career I would think he would know better than to just keep pushing himself into perpetual sickness.

By the way, viral infections can not be cured by antibiotics.
    Which was part of my point.

Now, does all of this open the door for TUE abuse and other ways to possibly manipulate the system to a rider's advantage?

Horner is deluded into thinking that he's the most popular American cyclist at the moment. Many people would argue that he is the least credible.

Make of it what you will.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 858
    « Reply #399 on: May 25, 2015, 01:19 »
    Chris Horner genuinely seems to be living in a fantasy world of his own concoction. He reminds me of Ricardo Ricco and that's concerning to say the least.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #400 on: February 09, 2016, 23:55 »
    Chris Horner genuinely seems to be living in a fantasy world of his own concoction.

Speaking of concoctions, he's still fighting off his chest infection.
    What is this, a year-and-a-half now?

I'm on a nebuliser antibiotic, so you breathe it straight into the lungs, and the doctors seem to think that will be a better way to go than taking an oral antibiotic. So I'm trying that. I've had a couple people actually email me since I've done interviews about it that have had the same problem, and they told me how they got rid of it. One particular lady has given me some good advice, so it seems to be having some effect, but we'll see what happens here in the next few weeks or month.

I do hope he shows up 100% healthy at some point because I'm genuinely interested to see what he's capable of at his age [45]. Is he as good as he thinks? He may be. If his lung issues were truly the only thing holding him back last year, then his final placement in some of those races should not be ignored. He was often only a little bit out of contention. It's true.

It does seem like Ground Hog Day though when assessing the coming season. Still hoping his new team gets invited to the same races that his old team did not last year. And around, and around we go...

I like the team kit though.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6881
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #401 on: February 10, 2016, 00:12 »

That is an impressive beard by the guy in second row. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #402 on: February 10, 2016, 00:20 »
    That is an impressive beard by the guy in second row. :cool
    I was curious to know who that was but it's hard to tell from their rather cute team gallery.  :P

http://www.lupusracingteam.com/team-riders.html

I was bored so I looked into their Twitter accounts. And the winner is...

Evan Murphy

This is curious though. :slow
    https://twitter.com/rualrite/status/696166879061270529
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 00:38 by Drummer Boy »

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1445
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #403 on: February 10, 2016, 00:24 »
    Good luck Chris, you've got everyone behind you.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11164
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #405 on: June 23, 2018, 07:29 »
    nice!  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1122
    « Reply #406 on: June 23, 2018, 21:07 »
    Lappy and the UCI must be getting desperate to strike Papy from the blacklist. Guess he'll be announced next as a mid-season signing by UAE and selected for the Vuelta as the only one able to prevent Froome from doing the quintuple.  :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1414
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #407 on: June 24, 2018, 03:47 »
    Lappy and the UCI must be getting desperate to strike Papy from the blacklist. Guess he'll be announced next as a mid-season signing by UAE and selected for the Vuelta as the only one able to prevent Froome from doing the quintuple.  :shh

Ow.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6612
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #408 on: June 25, 2018, 12:24 »
    Hmmm... rumours of a big comeback were evidently greatly exaggerated.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #409 on: June 26, 2018, 01:32 »
    Hmmm... rumours of a big comeback were evidently greatly exaggerated.

Au contraire, mon frère.  :P

https://twitter.com/TheRaceRadio/status/1011292339086635008
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 788
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #410 on: July 07, 2018, 09:19 »
    Is he training for La Volta?

Horner Is a prime example anti doping doesnt work.  Its 5 years now since his Vuelta win and still not caught.

And the peloton?  Silence.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #411 on: July 07, 2018, 13:25 »
    And the peloton?  Silence.

Probably because he's not a threat to win anything anymore. But as far as silence goes: It was very telling just how "silent" many pros were after he won the Vuelta. The Twitter feeds, in particular, were quite revealing. Guys who had interacted with Horner previously on Twitter suddenly went silent. No congratulations, no nothing. Not a word.

I had intended to assemble an interesting timeline regarding just that, with links and quotes that showed regular exchanges with Horner on Twitter from many familiar names in cycling prior to his Vuelta victory. Then after he won, no mention from any of them. But Twitter has changed some formatting which made that more difficult, especially when searching over several months of tweets. But now that Chris is back, maybe I'll attempt it again. It was quite revealing.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Topics