The Library > Peace Race
collapse

GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 15
Peace Race
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:04 »
Hello

I have a deep interest in this race, often calle dthe "Tour de France of the East", and probably the most international field ever achieved till the XXI Century on a single race.  It reunited Eastern and Western nations (UK usually participated, the Alf Buttler's memories Blog is great for that), and there were teams from America (even USA), Africa (Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt) and Asia (Mongolia).
As it gained an unique placement on the cycling world, I think it would be great to rise some debate on it.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6510
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: Peace Race
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 20:22 »
    Hello

I have a deep interest in this race, often calle dthe "Tour de France of the East", and probably the most international field ever achieved till the XXI Century on a single race.  It reunited Eastern and Western nations (UK usually participated, the Alf Buttler's memories Blog is great for that), and there were teams from America (even USA), Africa (Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt) and Asia (Mongolia).
    As it gained an unique placement on the cycling world, I think it would be great to rise some debate on it.

I know very little about the Peace Race though it often appeared in the palmarès of pretty distinguished riders and often gave us a first look at future heroes of the Euro peloton such as Olaf Ludwig and Djamolidine Abdoujaparov.

It was last held in 2006 following what seems to have been a difficult dispute between the organising partners and a funding deficit which saw the cancellation of the previous edition.

In a last lonely echo from out in the vast gulf of history, the race director even claimed in 2006 that Pro Tour status might follow.

Meanwhile, the Junior race, which has run more or less solidly since 1974, continues today and counts among past winners certain unknown ( ;)) riders as ...

- Denis Menchov (1995)
    - Fabian Cancellara (1999)
    - Peter Velits (2002, 2003)
    - Roman Kreuziger (2004)
    - Tanel Kangert (2005)
    - Michal Kwiatkowski (2007, 2008)

A good resource (in DE only) is here: http://www.friedensfahrt-info.de
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3365
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 20:36 »
    Growing up the Peace Race was always this big mystery race shrouded in secrecy. I dont know why. It was certainly seldom reported in the UK, but when riders finally reached prominence in the European Peloton, "peace race winner" was also a phrase that accompanied them throughout the early part of their career.

It had this strange mystique about it, a prestige in winning, yet very few fans in western europe actually knew anything about it.
  • ReplyReply

• GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 21:48 »
    Yes, I think mystery is what attracts me most... I usually go for unknwon things in cycling. And Peace Race certainly is one of them. Many Western riders rode it and some succeded, although they never fulfilled their potential. It was a very important race, and the proof of that was that many Eastern ones, when coming to Baby Giro, Giro delle Regioni and Tour du porvenir, rode very well. Certainly Täve Schur, Ryszard Szurkowski and Serguei Soukhoroutchenkov are the main icons, but there are so many more great riders in there... And what they can have achieved as pros....
    In the 80's, many of the ones that shone on the Peace Race came to Europe after the fall of the Iron Curtain, and achieved great success, names as Ugrumov, Konyshev, Svorada, Ampler, Ludwig, Abdoujaparov, Poulnikov, etcc.

Indeed, when the government sponsor fell after 1990 the race went downwards, and after becoming open to the Pros, I think in 1996, it recieved always a low status by UCI, and lost some of its traditional routes... sadly, in 2005 debts cancelled the race, and after one last try, in 2007 it finished definitively. But since this year, a very small Czech race for U23 bears that name. And the Junior version continues to be one of the main events on that category.

Apart from that site, it existed a great one, made by Josef Mach, but it went offline. The email of Mr. Mach don't work so I don't know what happened. Happily, I have printed all he ha don the site, and the yearly reports are amazing.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 22:17 »
    I got this from Libertine Seguros who i think is some sort of an expert on the peace race. " Klaus Ulrich Huhn's reference book "Die Geschichte der Friedensfahrt" which comes with a lengthy expo on the development of the race, then summary reports on every edition to 2001 along with records of podium finishers of each stage, GC records etc.. There's some fascinating stuff online about particular editions, 1986 being particularly notable because of the Chernobyl disaster and the Western teams boycotting the Kiev start" and if you speak czech or polish you could find alot more stuff.
  • ReplyReply

• GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 22:19 »
    Yes, Libertine Seguros seems to be an expert, i sent him a message on Cyclingnews but I haven't recieved an answer yet... it would be great to speak to him. Sadly, I don't speak Czech, Polish or German yet
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 22:50 »
    Ls will reply back don't worry. Hell know everything you can possibly find out on the internet or available books.

Zam, were you researching peace race too?
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 22:50 »
    Wait I would try to find some pics about Croatian riders on Peace Race, also some text.
    Just wait bro.
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 22:55 »
    Oh, more researchers.. taht's great. I've spoke in the web with Pavlic
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 23:00 »
    I have found it, took them while riding nearby lake where posters of sports legends, cyclist also.

Also great text by Croatian cycling legend Zdenko Kahlina about that race http://zkahlina.ca/cro/?p=9069, I am tired and if you want I can translate it if you want, but Hitch is Polish and he also might have some text.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 23:02 »
    Oh, more researchers.. taht's great. I've spoke in the web with Pavlic
    What Pavlić?

Post Merge: September 06, 2013, 23:07
    Very interesting stuff about Prosenik, that poster does not say a word about that he finished 13th at 1936 Olympic games, commie propaganda as it best!
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 23:10 »
    And many more about Prosenik from same superb blog about cycling. http://zkahlina.ca/cro/?p=8178
  • ReplyReply

• GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 23:12 »
    Jure Pavlic..... Thanks for the details about the Croats... Prosenik was one of the stars. Tour of Yugoslavia was also a very international race, and it has great climbs... a friend of mine made a little work on the 88's edition and it was quite a race
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 23:25 »
    Jure Pavlic..... Thanks for the details about the Croats... Prosenik was one of the stars. Tour of Yugoslavia was also a very international race, and it has great climbs... a friend of mine made a little work on the 88's edition and it was quite a race
    Oh I see.
    Well you cant miss hills here. Prosenik wrote diary about his 1948 victory and acording to the blog text it has been published in Germany.
    I have heard lot of stories about those races, but roads were really really bad.
  • ReplyReply

• GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 23:28 »
    Yes, but the routes weren't so easy as it seems
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 23:34 »
    Yes, but the routes weren't so easy as it seems
    For sure, after all this is Balkan :D
  • ReplyReply

• GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 23:38 »
    Yes.... great races and names, like Zoetemelk and Pettersson
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 11:21 »
    Hitch, no i wasn't doing any research or some sort. I talked to Libertine and he told me all those. He wont be logging in as he forgot his password for velorooms.
  • ReplyReply

• GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 12:02 »
    He already spoke with me on Cyclingnews, I sent him a message to tell him my email, it's better. It would be a better idea to login with another account or asking ofr the pass  with the email, he would find this forum amazing for sure
  • ReplyReply

• Joe Papp

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 23:00 »
    Peace Race was pretty amazing (though I cannot say that as a rider, never having had a chance to compete in it). I followed coverage of the race intently at the time, and of course spent countless hours listening to Mike Fraysse and Eddie B. tell me stories of their experiences there (racing and managing teams and coaching riders in it). And Fraysse's office and separate trophy room were filled - FILLED - with memorabilia from the events...

Man, I really miss that life!  :(
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10865
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 18:57 »
    the 2014 Peace Race has been cancelled by the way. Too bad, but as expected I think

http://www.neues-deutschland.de/artikel/927731.keine-friedensfahrt-im-jahr-2014.html
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 23:24 »
    I've read that the Junior Race continued. Sad there isn't more data on the Peace Race. It was probably the greatest demonstration of global cycling
  • ReplyReply

•