collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10824
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
The NFL
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:23 »
Right after a few years away thought it time to get back into a little NFL

Have half followed the Vikings since I was 15 the Moon to Carter years and a young Randy and Culpepper were good times

anyway season has started I know Dim likes a bit of the Dolphins and BYOP 49´s I think

Manning 7 touchdowns for the broncos , Broncos smashed the Ravens 49-27.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 23:10 by DB-Coop, Reason: Change of Title »
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 196
    Re: NFL 2013-14 Season
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 22:40 »
    E-A-G-L-E-S !!!!!!       ;)

Watched some of the game last night & add DEN TE Julian Thomas to my fantasy team after his 2 TDs in the 2nd Qtr.  My fantasy draft was pretty pathetic this yr as I haven't watched much football recently as the Eagles have sucked.

Foster
    Gore
    White, R.
    Newton
    Welker

Nelson
    Bell, L.
    Myers
    Boldin
    Redman

Bears D
    Flacco
    Ingram
    Pettigrew
    Blackmon

Akers
    Cooper ----dropped for Thomas
     :'(
  • ReplyReply
  • Sagan supporter.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 22:14 »
    Dolpins fan sice 83. And this year, like every other year we will fail, although some pundits actually have us as favourites for the East. Should be interesting :S

Without Ricky Williams I think we will struggle offensively. Tannehill needs to find some way of actually hitting his recievers instead of the opposing D

On the plus side, the Hurricanes beat the Gators today to go 2-0
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 00:02 »
    Hold the press. Dolphins win, Liverpool top of the league. Wtf is going on.

Dolphins Whupparse
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:12 »
    Vikings = Adrian Peterson again  :'(

He went all the way 3 times

Lions win though

Bush Sparks Lions In Stellar Debut

Reggie Bush had 191 total yards of offense and scored a touchdown as the Lions overcame a three-touchdown performance from Adrian Peterson in a 34-24 win.
    Tags: NFL, Lions, Vikings, highlight, Joseph Fauria, Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush, Christian Ponder, Matthew Stafford
    VIDEO PLAYLIST video
    Sunday Blitz: Vikings-Lions Recap
    DETROIT -- Reggie Bush thinks he's going to love playing with Calvin Johnson. With all that space in the middle of the field, it's easy to see why.

Bush had a sensational debut with the Detroit Lions on Sunday, burning Minnesota for 191 yards of offense in a 34-24 victory. With the Vikings focused on stopping Johnson on the outside, the dynamic running back found plenty of room to roam.

"This is exactly what we talked about when I was thinking about coming here," said Bush, who signed a $16 million, four-year contract in March. "We wanted to get me into space with a mismatch against a linebacker or a safety, and that's what happened. You can do that because of Calvin."

More from ESPN.com
    RothsteinAfter all the talk about being the missing piece to the Lions offense, Reggie Bush has proven it correct -- for one week, Michael Rothstein writes. Blog

GoesslingAdrian Peterson started off strong, but other than the initial burst his day was mostly an exercise in frustration, Ben Goessling writes. Blog

Bush turned a short pass into a 77-yard touchdown in the third quarter. He finished with 21 carries for 90 yards and four receptions for 101 through the air.

Bush's performance helped the Lions overcome a slew of miscues while stopping an eight-game losing streak from last season, a miserable 4-12 year in which they were winless against NFC North teams.

"We had plays on offense, defense and special teams that can get you beat in this league, but we got through it and won the game," quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "It's important to be able to get wins on days when you are making mistakes and things aren't going your way."

The Vikings also made their share of mistakes, especially Christian Ponder, who threw three interceptions and lost a fumble.

"It wasn't just Christian," Minnesota coach Leslie Frazier said. "We've got to play better as a team."

Adrian Peterson did his part early, running for a 78-yard TD on his first carry and scoring on a 4-yard run to give Minnesota a 14-6 lead in the second quarter. He finished with 93 yards on 18 attempts.

"This is one of the best defensive fronts we're going to see all year," Peterson said.

At least in the opener, Bush was the speedy running back the Lions haven't had since Jahvid Best had his career ended by concussions. Detroit released him this year because he hasn't been able to play since 2011.

"We love his talent, but he's here because of the way he complements Calvin and the way Calvin complements him," Detroit coach Jim Schwartz said

Fans at Ford Field have already become vocal supporters of Bush, chanting "Reg-gie! Reg-gie!" much like crowds at the Silverdome used to shout "Bar-ry! Bar-ry!" for Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders.

The Lions made adding the former Miami and New Orleans back a priority and he showed why in one flashy, but tough afternoon.

"I did dislocate my thumb, it was pointing in the wrong direction, but they were able to pop it back in and tape it up," Bush said. "After that, I just carried the ball with my right hand. On the series after that, I pulled a groin muscle."

Joique Bell ran for two TDs, including a go-ahead score that gave the Lions their first lead early in the third quarter.

Stafford was 28 of 43 for 357 yards with two TDs. His final score was a 1-yard lob to rookie tight end Joseph Fauria with 6:47 left that sealed the win. Johnson was held to four catches for 37 yards and had a TD negated by review because he appeared to lose control of the football in the end zone.

Ponder was 18 of 28 for 236 yards with a 4-yard TD pass to Peterson that got Minnesota within three late in the third quarter. Jerome Simpson had seven receptions and 140 yards receiving for the Vikings.

The Lions finished strong, outscoring the Vikings 28-10 after an awful start.

Detroit botched a field-goal attempt on the opening drive when rookie holder Sam Martin dropped a perfect snap.

One snap later, Peterson ran through a hole, shifted his shoulders to the left -- prompting rookie defensive back Darius Slay to do a face plant into the turf -- juked to the right and outraced the rest of the defense on the fourth-longest run of his career.

After choosing to kick on a fourth-and-1, Schwartz went for it with the same down and distance early in the second quarter only to have Bell's fourth-down run negated by Brandon Pettigrew's holding penalty, forcing him to settle for a second field goal to make it 7-6.

The Lions looked as if they were going to take their first lead two snaps later when linebacker DeAndre Levy returned an interception for a TD, but Ndamukong Suh was called for an illegal low block against center John Sullivan, who was well behind the play.

"I wasn't by any means going for his knees," Suh insisted. "He knows that."
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:14 »
    Browns beat the Vikings in Minneapolis :fp

season is over already 0-3

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:04 »
    vikings beat the Steelers at wembly 
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 00:35 »
    I don't support a team but often cheer for underdogs and those "franchises" which have underachieved.

In that context the Jets Falcons game was 10 out of 10. Amazing. 
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 11:48 »
    watched a bit of the packers ravens last night

swedish comms though - need to find a source for streams , just not the same with Swedish

Vikings were getting smashed again :win did not look at the final score
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1737
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 12:16 »

swedish comms though - need to find a source for streams , just not the same with Swedish

I know Firstrow has all the games, with American comentators, the Swedish ones can't possibly be as bad as the Danish ones. But with my Giants being 0-6 it really doesn't matter much anymore, still don't understand what happened with the team.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 19:30 »
    The Saints v Patriots game last night was insane. WIth Miami having a bye week and Jets and Bills already losing looked like Saints were going to do us a huge favour. Leading with 2 minutes left. Somehow they had 2 possessions and still managed to screw up with Pats getting the winning TD with seconds left. Total screw up by the Saints, but excellent game.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 19:30 »

Wiziwig JSG. They have all the nfl stuff direct, all in english.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 19:13 »
    Monday night football for 2nd week in a row produced an absolute screamer.  Philip Rivers :pray what a legend, carrying the entire team on his own,  even if ultimately they have no chance at the play offs.

And this week, Sunday night football, perhaps the most anticipated game of the season.
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 19:06 »
    the bullying justin martin/ ritchie incognito thing is horrible and massively undercovered.
    and this video makes cringeworthy viewing
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000275133/article/report-dolphins-player-broke-after-paying-for-vets

4 guys saying sack it up, it's just a bit of fun, you're being too sensitive.

sustained threats, racism
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 20:09 »
    the bullying justin martin/ ritchie incognito thing is horrible and massively undercovered.
    and this video makes cringeworthy viewing
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000275133/article/report-dolphins-player-broke-after-paying-for-vets

4 guys saying sack it up, it's just a bit of fun, you're being too sensitive.

sustained threats, racism

I wonder if Incognito wears a livestrong band.
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 20:58 »
    I wonder if Incognito wears a livestrong band.

if not literally, he does mentally.

the NFL culture is as toxic as that of cycling. absurdly high arrest rates, bankruptcy rates etc

hopefully this will to some extent get the players association to address being professionals from the point of view of going to work with a professional attitude as opposed to "gettin' mad paper"
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 22:40 »

To be honest it fits pretty well with Incognito's general reputation. It is strange to me that Incognito would even be in a position where he could say anything to Martin. The only time he gets on a roster is when people are desperate and decides to overlook all his issues. To be honest the Dolphins ought to have just taken the easy way on this one. Apparently it seems as it is a wider theme of the Dolphins with the bullying, I honestly don't get why they don't just cut Incognito, protect the investment, and leaving Martin on non-football related IR is pretty bad. As far as replacing Incognito, then moving Martin to either LG or RT (and RT to LG) and upgrading LT could be the solution. While Martin appears not to have the footwork to be a LT he could still make a solid RT.
  • ReplyReply

• Freedomofspeech

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 18
    « Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 23:24 »
    I am just a couple of days here, so would not tell how to do things, but if it was poossible to change the title in a "General NFL" thread, it may ignites some fire.

Was a big NFL fan, now I am a big critic, since it got too greedy...
    But I still love the game. The best on earth in my opinion, then Footy...

Made bold predictions in the other Forum about the Eagles. Good I am not there anymore, since I predicted 0 to max 5 wins for them.  :s

I thought Kelly was running mad by trading for an injury-prone QB (and giving away his cheaper starting QB), stacking his roster with RBs, forgetting other postions, throwing away his best WRs... and looks good in pre season.  :o
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    The NFL
    « Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 23:14 »
    I am just a couple of days here, so would not tell how to do things, but if it was poossible to change the title in a "General NFL" thread, it may ignites some fire.

Can't see why not, I've changed it to 'The NFL' on OP/Thread and this post to make subsequent posts of the same name.

Personally I used to watch a lot of football, but I sort of lost interest two years ago or so, different rule changes made it less fun for some reason I think. Also it just became sort of repetitive in a weird way.
  • ReplyReply

• Freedomofspeech

• Domestic Rider
    Re: The NFL
    « Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 23:22 »
    Yes true. But they had to change rules, because this concusion thing is dangerous for their business. And Ivy league players get less and less. The NFL will be downsized in the future. A good thing coz they all became too greedy. Both, the players and owners... And still, Football in itself is awesome. And us people like to see the best players, thus (still) watch NFL. But the greed also killed lots of interest for me. Now I found AFL (last summer) by pure chance while cruising trou youtube, I really love it. And the players are not overpaid (actually underpaid for the cruel aspects of the game), the teams are pubic owned AFAIK by now...
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 00:32 »
    Yes true. But they had to change rules, because this concusion thing is dangerous for their business. And Ivy league players get less and less. The NFL will be downsized in the future. A good thing coz they all became too greedy. Both, the players and owners... And still, Football in itself is awesome. And us people like to see the best players, thus (still) watch NFL. But the greed also killed lots of interest for me. Now I found AFL (last summer) by pure chance while cruising trou youtube, I really love it. And the players are not overpaid (actually underpaid for the cruel aspects of the game), the teams are pubic owned AFAIK by now...

The thing is though you can still straight up drill a RB, they are, much like the NFL always is, not concerned about the players only their image. Basically the pictures of a QB taking a huge blow or a WR getting hit in the air taking a concussion is bad PR, nobody notice when that happens to a Half back. I thought they should have simply banned leading with the helmet, I mean you are meant to tackle with shoulders not helmet anyways. This would take away the worst hits, and also protect RB's and defenders from head trauma.

Not sure players are that greedy, I mean if I am making millions, and my boss is making billions, no way I am taking a pay cut. Generally I am more not sure I like the American view of sport as a business, I mean owners there try to make money, any European team owner in anything is lucky/happy to break even.

AFL is decent, really I would say HS football is probably the best show though, more creativity, more variation in the play call.
  • ReplyReply

• Freedomofspeech

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 00:51 »
    I think the greed got to the players too. Nothing about team-sports anymore. The star QB eats the cap, not caring how the team does overall. Brees is a prime example. Wilson the latest...

About the NFL only doing PR stuff, you are absolutely right. If they were about protecting players, they´d remove the head-first RB carries, they head first tackle dives, and the cheap shots to the knees like it happened to Gronk a couple of seasons back.
    All they do is protecting their star QBs with absurd rules...
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 06:11 »
    I think the greed got to the players too. Nothing about team-sports anymore. The star QB eats the cap, not caring how the team does overall. Brees is a prime example.

Well the greed should really be a good thing. As ideally it helps restore the competitive balance of the League. But again lets say the cowboys wants Romo under market value. Then given what his owner makes, I'd be like well not my problem, raise the cap or something
  • ReplyReply

• Freedomofspeech

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 12:00 »
    But they cant raise the cap. The players get already 50% of the revenue (in the AFL for comparison, it´s only about 21-25%).
    You have a lot of "underpaid" back-ups. Even some GMs admitted some cuts were not aboutt players talent, but to save cap money. That is working against the integrity of the game, since the best 53 players shall be on teams, not the cheaper ones.
    Too much business involved. That takes a lot from the game in my opinion.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 14:56 »
    That is working against the integrity of the game, since the best 53 players shall be on teams, not the cheaper ones.
    Too much business involved. That takes a lot from the game in my opinion.

Well yes and no. The reason for this happening is that NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed. This basically means that certain moves will free up  cap space to sign other players. Lets take an example, lets say the Bears have four QB's under contract

NameMarket Value YearlyYears leftGuaranteedNon-Guaranteed
    QB115.4M314M/15M/16M0M/4M/8M
    QB25M11M8M
    QB31.2M31.5M/2M/2.5M0M/0.5M/1M
    QB4500k2100k/0k320k/400k

Now lets say the Bears wants to trim their roster to hold only 3 QB's. Now first look at the wages, anybody making less than market value, and arguably making less than that in the future too, there is litle value in cutting/doing a money swap[1] QB1 and QB4 are arguably on good contracts, now look at QB2 vs QB3. Releasing the better QB2 instead of QB3 allows for 8M extra in cap room this year, whereas releasing QB3 would mean you had to pay him in the future too. Now with those 8M maybe the Bears are in a position to make a move for that RB they need to solidify their offense.

The NBA cap used to see the players receive over half, and that is a soft cap meaning that in reality they receive more. MLB has no cap. The players lack leverage to get away with the cap, but if it was not there they would see better wages, all of them. But again the fact that players take what they can get is good, as it theoretically should make the teams more even. In the NBA where there is a set max wage, basically the superstars are underpaid, and since any team would want Kevin Durant etc. for the max, they star picking based on market size and championship chance, making it hard for small market teams, and struggling teams to recover.

In case you are the video game playing type the game NFL Headcoach 09 gives a good understanding of the system.
     1. When NFL players basically sell non guaranteed money for guaranteed at some ratio less than 1:1
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 21:51 »
    An old school gem:

• ReplyReply

• Freedomofspeech

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 22:10 »
    I am not yet really into it... I guess it´s coz I am still in AFL mood (the finals are on).
    But now I am eager to see how Kelly  andhis off-season moves work out in the real games.
    I stand by the prediction I made in the other forum in the early summer:
    Philly to finish between 0-16 and max 5-11. Too much silly moves by Kelly...
  • ReplyReply

• Freedomofspeech

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 00:29 »
    Seems my lone pre season prediction will come true:
    Philly to really suck... That´s what happens when your silly HC gives away his cheap starting QB (after giving away another one just the season before) in exchange for an expensive butter-arm... Not to mention Kelly gave away his best WR, stacked the RB position, thus leaving holes at other roster spots. An idiot, I said the whole off season along...
    They can´t even stop the opponent back-up QB.
    Pre season prediction stands: 0 to max 5 wins. And the "hi-tech" HC is going back to college, where mish-mash may works. LOLZ.
  • ReplyReply

• Freedomofspeech

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 08:14 »
    That is why an NFL QB must own all three skills: Accuracy, Reading the D for having the best possible outcome of any play (which comes with game experience anyway, unless you are either real dumb, or have no work ethic at all like Russell or Leaf), and... a strong arm. Many scouts and coaches dismiss the latter, otherwise butter-armed failures like Bradford, McNown, Frye etc would have never been drafted.

Look at Rodgers tonight: 3 perfect "Hail Marys" in ONE drive when desperately needed. And the best throw isn´t even on the highlights: The one where the pass interference was not called. That throw, the ball went 70 yards in the air on the money, under pressure. The 2nd best was the 4th-and-20 hail-pass. With just a mere flick of his wrist, Rodgers threw a dart 58 yards in the air... on the money of course. I wonder if, for example, Colt Brennan could throw the ball 58 yards even if stepping fully into the throw. It´s a mystery to me that such non-QBs get drafted in the NFL.
    The 3rd best hailer was the TD with no time left. Under heavy duress, he had to jump-ball the throw, and it still went 62 yards in the air. One amazing QB.

Otoh, ARZ should have known what is coming (everybody remembers the moon shot Rodgers put on against the Lions this season), and be prepared. Well, they wasn´t, as we all found out. Thank the "football gods" that the best NFL offense has Fitz and Palmer. Thus the dream goes on for the Cardinals chance of their first NFL championship since 69 years!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:25 by Freedomofspeech »

Red Flanders

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 14
    « Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 02:21 »
    Watched the Raiders vs Cardinals last night. Raiders showed some pretty impressive depth on both sides of the ball. It's been a long time.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Not My Circus
    [Today at 10:08]

Re: Stig Broeckx Recovery Thread by Echoes
    [October 22, 2017, 15:37]

Re: Gree - Tour of Guangxi by Echoes
    [October 22, 2017, 11:17]

Re: Misc. American Tour Races 2017 (Vuelta a Guatemala) by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2017, 07:35]

Re: Gree - Tour of Guangxi by Leadbelly