collapse

Gotland

• Hot Prospect
  • Liked: 406
  • Awards: New Member of the Year 2013
An academic turns mechanic
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:05 »
I have decided to change my bottom bracket on my bike. It is a square taper bottom bracket and the noise it produces is quite embarrassing to the point I've recently changed routes to avoid fellow cyclists dressed in lycra. Anyway, I've checked out some youtube films on how to change the bottom bracket, borrowed some tools from a friend, and bought a special tool for the bottom bracket.

On the films the job looks so straightforward  :D

My question concerns the removal of the crank arms and it seems that it is a special tool for that too. From the look of it my friend probably has the tool (keep in mind that I am an academic with the  thumb in the middle of my hand) in his toolbox.  But if it's not the proper tool could I gently tap off the crank arms with a rubber hammer, or do I need to go the LBS and buy another special tool?
  • ReplyReply
  • "Emma is Queen of consistency" Peloton Watch

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    Re: An academic turns mechanic
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:24 »
    I have decided to change my bottom bracket on my bike. It is a square taper bottom bracket and the noise it produces is quite embarrassing to the point I've recently changed routes to avoid fellow cyclists dressed in lycra. Anyway, I've checked out some youtube films on how to change the bottom bracket, borrowed some tools from a friend, and bought a special tool for the bottom bracket.

My question concerns the removal of the crank arms and it seems that it is a special tool for that too. From the look of it my friend probably has the tool (keep in mind that I am an academic with the  thumb in the middle of my hand) in his toolbox.  But if it's not the proper tool could I gently tap off the crank arms with a rubber hammer, or do I need to go the LBS and buy another special tool?
    If some sorry ass crank arms it is possible with rubber hammer, but if not you need some special tool for sure, this one I have http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ice-toolz/crank-removal-tool-with-handle-ec006782, I have old octalink and it is really hard to remove without proper tool. If using tool dont get confused with that adapter, it can stuck in very hard :D
    Try with rubber hammer couple of times.
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 12:40 »
    If some sorry ass crank arms it is possible with rubber hammer, but if not you need some special tool for sure, this one I have http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ice-toolz/crank-removal-tool-with-handle-ec006782, I have old octalink and it is really hard to remove without proper tool. If using tool dont get confused with that adapter, it can stuck in very hard :D
    Try with rubber hammer couple of times.

Thanks Anthony I'll have a go with the rubber hammer first.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 13:48 »
    When I was a kid, at the first sign of a crunching BB and to get a few more kms out of it, we used to pull out our saddles and pour a bit of sunflower oil down the seat tube.

Eventually, when the bearings had totally died, we would take the bikes to the LBS then stand back and watch the mechanic's face as the crank came off and all that black-grey friet-smelling gunk oozed out onto his hands.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 14:26 »

Not related to your problem but in March I spent about 5 hours during the night trying to change the tube on my wheel  with youtube videos and sh*t, because i needed it for the next day. I did some of it, but got stuck a lot. It ended with me remembering I had an older bike and pumping that up
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 14:30 »
    When I was a kid, at the first sign of a crunching BB and to get a few more kms out of it, we used to pull out our saddles and pour a bit of sunflower oil down the seat tube.

Eventually, when the bearings had totally died, we would take the bikes to the LBS then stand back and watch the mechanic's face as the crank came off and all that black-grey friet-smelling gunk oozed out onto his hands.
    lol :D
    I read somewhere that one dude found sea grass in BB area, and answers how it could get there, crazy :D

This thread also hurts me, my old Dura Ace 7700 BB is making noise if not placed 105% correct, I mean it is work of art to place this correct and every time it s pain, over 400 bearings, cones, cups and God knows what else, it is flipping nightmare to find what is making that noise. When fixed will never ever try to overhaul that monster, and it takes 3 different tools to be removed. Nightmare! But bearings are in superb condition, only you need is ton of patient :D
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 14:32 »
    Not related to your problem but in March I spent about 5 hours during the night trying to change the tube on my wheel  with youtube videos and sh*t, because i needed it for the next day. I did some of it, but got stuck a lot. It ended with me remembering I had an older bike and pumping that up
    Dude tubulars are solution to your problem, and glue can help not to be boring :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 14:53 »
    lol :D
    I read somewhere that one dude found sea grass in BB area, and answers how it could get there, crazy :D

This thread also hurts me, my old Dura Ace 7700 BB is making noise if not placed 105% correct, I mean it is work of art to place this correct and every time it s pain, over 400 bearings, cones, cups and God knows what else, it is flipping nightmare to find what is making that noise. When fixed will never ever try to overhaul that monster, and it takes 3 different tools to be removed. Nightmare! But bearings are in superb condition, only you need is ton of patient :D

I wouldn't even try, Tone. Now I have money, I go to the LBS. The sunflower oil thing is from when I had no money.

At that time, I also remember helping to glue back together a Vitus 979 whose downtube had separated from the lug on a descent. The glue seemed to work well, so we sold the bike.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7557
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 15:01 »
    The glue seemed to work well, so we sold the bike.
    And did you tell the buyer about the glue job? :evil:
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 15:06 »
    I wouldn't even try, Tone. Now I have money, I go to the LBS. The sunflower oil thing is from when I had no money.

At that time, I also remember helping to glue back together a Vitus 979 whose downtube had separated from the lug on a descent. The glue seemed to work well, so we sold the bike.

Mate would also like to go to LBS every time something goes wrong (which is almost on weekly bases :D), but LBS owner my club president and ex Montreal 1976 Olympian has killer prices for club mates :D So I have all tools to do the job, 50% I screw something, other 50% I am good.
    Of course trueing wheels are story for itself, especially when having aero spokes and no holes for nipples coz tubeless rims, Jesus!

You barbarian selling broken bikes :D
    And that Vitus is superb looking bike!
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 15:07 »

Nope. :s

You barbarian selling broken bikes :D

Yeah. But it wasn't my bike, so I sleep OK.  :s
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 15:08 »
    Of course he did, that is why he sell it! Could you imagine someone buying glued bike???? :D
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 15:11 »
    Nope. :s

Yeah. But it wasn't my bike, so I sleep OK.  :s
    Jesus, we Catholics are not like that! :evil:
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 15:42 »

Doing mechanic , or other stuff, in the last minute always fails for me too.  It is fortunate that I've got plenty of time to tinker with my bike.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2626
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 17:11 »
    Jesus, we Catholics are not like that! :evil:
    I thought you croate jew. now Jews for Jesus?

Gotland when I started riding I boughtfor about $50. It has adequate tools for most maintenance and repairs. They proper tool makes a big difference  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 17:27 »
    I am international Jew :D
    Look my home made chain whip tool :D
    Could not post truing stand pics coz settlement took it away :D
    But will sneak into ex wife place and steal it. No one would take my truing stand!
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 18:22 »
    Gotland when I started riding I boughtfor about $50. It has adequate tools for most maintenance and repairs. They proper tool makes a big difference  :cool

This. I have a box like that by X-Tools or something like that.

That's not to say I'd know how to use half of the tools in there but it's the principle, isn't it?  :cool

EDIT: It's this one ...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/tool-kits/product/review-xtools-18-piece-tool-kit-11-45086
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 18:45 »
    This. I have a box like that by X-Tools or something like that.

That's not to say I'd know how to use half of the tools in there but it's the principle, isn't it?  :cool

EDIT: It's this one ...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/tool-kits/product/review-xtools-18-piece-tool-kit-11-45086
    Important is that we play macho wrenches, woman likes that.
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 19:05 »

Thanks Krebs!  I borrowed a bike tool box from a friend and its content looks  similar to the one on the picture.

Edit: Tinkering today was postponed due to hangover.  Tomorrow  I'll go full Orange County Chopper on the bike after a pop over to my local supplier of heavy machinery.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 19:20 by Gotland »

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2626
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 20:33 »
    Also Sheldon Brown has a lot of good articles http://sheldonbrown.com/diy/index.html You may have to root aroung a bit. I remember the site being easir to use. I'll search some more.

edit ok here
    http://sheldonbrown.com/home.html
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 14:57 »
    Replacing the BB was fairly straightforward. I only made a tiny chip in the frame, so for a novice like me I passed beyond expectation. I'll  invest in a bicycle tool box because the borrowed one was a life saver.  Thanks to everyone that contributed with advice, err ...or just contributed to the thread.  :D

Seriously, thank you all!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 17:46 by Gotland »

Recent Posts

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by LukasCPH
    [December 04, 2019, 07:54]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Leadbelly
    [December 04, 2019, 07:35]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim
    [December 03, 2019, 18:04]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim
    [December 03, 2019, 18:02]