collapse

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2464
Re: Post your rides
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2013, 21:34 »
Perhaps a dumb question.. but what is the added value of a second road bike? Especially if you need to sell a cross bike for it..
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #121 on: September 22, 2013, 23:03 »
    As hinted at already, I'm selling my CX bike after less than a year. :(

I want another road bike for the next chapter of my life but I can't afford one if I keep this too (much as I would like to). Guy coming today, hopefully he'll give me a good price. I'll miss this baby, it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

That doesn't look so very different to what I use for my roadbike.
    Namely the thickness of the wheels.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #122 on: September 22, 2013, 23:35 »
    Perhaps a dumb question.. but what is the added value of a second road bike? Especially if you need to sell a cross bike for it..

A cheaper bike for crap weather and roads. My Look is a keeper and I want to run it in good weather only. :D The CX bike was cool but I ended up riding it on the road a lot of the time.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10820
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #123 on: September 23, 2013, 08:41 »
    A cheaper bike for crap weather and roads. My Look is a keeper and I want to run it in good weather only. :D The CX bike was cool but I ended up riding it on the road a lot of the time.

stupid me you could have brought it up to Sweden and paid your rent with the bike  :'(   :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #124 on: September 23, 2013, 14:17 »
    I've chosen the new one already, actually. I need to see if I can afford it for sure and how long it's going to take to get one.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #125 on: November 18, 2013, 19:50 »
    Tony new toy for winter traning, road can be boring as hell. Those Germans really knows how to make bikes.

It came in black box

Tons of parts, even suspension pump and torque wrench

Slx front

Xt rear like most bikes in this price range

Gold 30 fork and Shimano 395 brakes

Big 29 wheels and Continental XKing tyres

Fat and short head tube, I guess 29er must have

All for 799 euros+ shipping and bike box costs+spare hanger= total 867 euros, with mine 15-20% bike discount here and sales time hardly any bike shop can give this price, this is bargain for sure.
    hardly wait to test it more harder, today just short ride to make sure everything is ok, and it is!!!!
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #126 on: November 18, 2013, 20:36 »
    mew those are new Sketchers I saw here, they are superb light and good looking.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #127 on: November 18, 2013, 23:43 »
    Tony those are YOU! they must have hefty price tag in Croatia as well... :? :o
    ...and making your cute daughter hold shoes for dad  .... :angel :)

• ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #128 on: November 20, 2013, 10:39 »
    Tony those are YOU! they must have hefty price tag in Croatia as well... :? :o
    ...and making your cute daughter hold shoes for dad  .... :angel :)
    Think they cost around 85 USD which is way out of my league, I never had expensive running shoes. I am light so no need for extra light expensive hipster shoes :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #129 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41 »
    Just a note to reiterate what I said in the shoutbox the other day:

My new winter bike still hasn't arrived due to my insistence on certain variations on the shop model. It will probably arrive at the LBS next week but I won't be around until just before Christmas. So I will go pick it up then and post pics.

:angry :P :cool
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #130 on: November 20, 2013, 21:37 »
    Think they cost around 85 USD which is way out of my league, I never had expensive running shoes. I am light so no need for extra light expensive hipster shoes :D

yes..those of us that are light have no need for extra bells and whistles : ;)

:Party: :Clown: :Clown:
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #131 on: November 22, 2013, 10:04 »
    Yesterday tested my new ride, brakes are entry level but superb breaking power for my use and weight, front 180mm, Just dont see any reason to upgrade, I am not into MTB gear so much but Shimano made very very good brakes lately. Had Hayes Stroker Ride before on Kona Blast but those were really crap, even with mine 70mkg they boiled and left me without any stop. Somewhat hard to align rotor to pads but once adjusted they rock. Shimano really  rules!
    180 mm front

Rock Shock TK 30 Gold fork just what I need for winter non very technical trails, pump it about 80psi recomended pressure for my weight and you can see how much travel I use, almost 90 out of 100mmm, superb and I am very happy.

I found two very minor flaws with bike, first are caged old type head set bearings which already are not so smooth like sealed one, and I am surprised why not sealed bearings? But nothing to worry.
    Second is really really low fornt mech cage and maybe 1,5mm clearence from chainstay, not rubbing or anything but if more dirt on chainstay??? This is really really weird, maybe other type of front mech top swing, coz this is down swing mech?
    What do you think?

Just to compare apples and monkeys :D
    This 29er is huge, interesting to see two completely different geometry.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #132 on: December 17, 2013, 16:09 »
    At long, long last my winter bike is finally here. Say hello!

Wilier GTR rectangular carbon with Campagnolo Athena and a few modest FSA and Miche bits and pieces.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6026
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #133 on: December 17, 2013, 16:21 »
    L'arri is one happy camper! :)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #134 on: December 17, 2013, 18:18 »

Wilier GTR rectangular carbon with Campagnolo Athena and a few modest FSA and Miche bits and pieces.

got the group set right at least  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #135 on: December 17, 2013, 19:29 »

Nice ride mate!!!!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #136 on: January 08, 2014, 14:56 »
    no idea where this goes, here will do

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #137 on: January 08, 2014, 15:23 »
    Since we're on that subject, here's a newer, better shot of my Wilier with Look pedals and Conti winter animal tyres stuck on:

I haven't been feeling very comfortable on it, so I'm going for a proper bike fitting session next week, to get my position right in a more generalised sort of way.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1104
    « Reply #138 on: January 08, 2014, 15:36 »
    no idea where this goes, here will do

http://twitter.com/jejamescycles/statuses/420913193645391874

Just in case you're wondering, there are bike shops that are in Britain but not in South Yorkshire.

Apparently...
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 15:52 by L'arriviste »

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #139 on: January 08, 2014, 15:43 »
    I don't know what happened there. It just sort of went off in my hand.
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #140 on: January 09, 2014, 05:35 »
    Since we're on that subject, here's a newer, better shot of my Wilier with Look pedals and Conti winter animal tyres stuck on:

I haven't been feeling very comfortable on it, so I'm going for a proper bike fitting session next week, to get my position right in a more generalised sort of way.

Of course you're uncomfortable, the stem's too high!  :D :P :shh

JK - that's a nice looking ride there L'arri. Any plans to race that beast?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #141 on: January 09, 2014, 08:43 »
    Of course you're uncomfortable, the stem's too high!  :D :P :shh

JK - that's a nice looking ride there L'arri. Any plans to race that beast?

It's funny you say that about the stem - sometimes I feel like I'm riding a frame that's way too small but it's just the way Wiliers are built with these low-slung top tubes coupled with a high rising seat tube. But then you sit on and that square section top tube looks vast and solid below you.

Well, whatever, the fitting will sort out any kinks in position. Maybe I'll go lower - I have no big gut to bend over these days though my flexibility could be better. ;)

As for racing, no chance of that. I raced when I was a kid and I loved it but I don't feel the urge to be competitive these days. I'm too mellow for that. :D I also have a few lingering health problems that are preventing me riding it as much as I'd like, certainly not enough to build up serious fitness at the moment.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #142 on: January 09, 2014, 10:19 »

Anyway, what I really meant to say was, "Why?"

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

The reason for asking is that I'm going down the same path but a year later. I'm looking for the ideal winter/bad weather/commuter bike and I've decided to buy a cyclocross like you did originally. So if I'm going to end up selling the CX and buying a second road bike, I might as well not bother with the CX in the first place.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #143 on: January 09, 2014, 11:35 »
    Anyway, what I really meant to say was, "Why?"

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

The reason for asking is that I'm going down the same path but a year later. I'm looking for the ideal winter/bad weather/commuter bike and I've decided to buy a cyclocross like you did originally. So if I'm going to end up selling the CX and buying a second road bike, I might as well not bother with the CX in the first place.

I don't understand the question 'why'. Perhaps you could clarify ... In the meantime, and in case you wanted to know why I sold the CX bike, I'll provide a bit of detail on how things went.

Now I would be the first to admit that I can be capricious. I bought the CX bike because I wanted to do CX - forest trails and light offroad - but also to commute to work on a bombproof bike that would handle the road too.

And that's just what I did. At first. However, I quickly found that I wanted to ride offroad a lot less than I'd expected. People may laugh or frown at me when I say this but riding CX-style was simply not as much fun as it looked. I had some fun times, don't get me wrong, but it did not stick to me. And eventually, I found that I was spending so little time offroad that I even swapped out my 32mm Grifos for 25mm Conti road tyres.

At that point, when you're using a CX bike almost exclusively on the road, the combined effect of the relaxed geometry, sluggish canti brakes and low gearing starts to kick in. Notwithstanding the glaring obviousness of the situation and taking absolutely nothing away from the high quality of the bike, I found the riding experience rather tedious.

What remained was the commuting. Braking aside, the CX bike was brilliant on the streets of Brussels with all the handling issues, the kerb jumps, shoddy bike lanes and dodging of cars, people and freds. But then I quit my job and hey presto, no more commuting.

So I bought the Wilier. Some folks wondered in what way it was a step down from my main bike. After all, it is still carbon bike and has the same groupset on paper as my Look.

Well, the Look actually has an Athena / Chorus mix whereas the Wilier is Athena / FSA mix. The wheels, saddle and finishing kit are not in the same league. And the Look frame is, well, a Look frame. ;) The ride is very different. Very nimble and responsive but much less smooth and sophisticated. Though perhaps it looks funkier than the Look, the Wilier actually feels less racy.

As for me, I am a dyed-in-the-wool roadie and that means I'm happy to be ignorant, inflexible and pretty old-fashioned - I may as well admit it. I also made a promise to myself as a kid that when I earned my own money I would ride the nicest bike(s) I could afford. So even in winter, I still wanted to ride a bike I could enjoy. Now free from the need to commute and any spontaneous desires to emulate Sven Nys, this is my choice.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #144 on: January 09, 2014, 13:53 »
    That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

Apart from this: If you still had to commute and had decent brakes, would you have replaced the CX bike?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #145 on: January 09, 2014, 14:39 »
    That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

Apart from this: If you still had to commute and had decent brakes, would you have replaced the CX bike?

That would have been a slightly tougher choice to make.

Living where I lived at the time, I would have still replaced the CX bike and stopped commuting by bike. I could afford to do that because my commute at the time was still short enough to walk.

However, since then I also moved house further away from my office, so had I still been working today, I would probably have retained the CX bike and put on hybrid tyres or kept on my 25mm Contis. In better weather, I had the option of riding through the forest.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #146 on: January 09, 2014, 16:53 »
    That would have been a slightly tougher choice to make.

Living where I lived at the time, I would have still replaced the CX bike and stopped commuting by bike. I could afford to do that because my commute at the time was still short enough to walk.

However, since then I also moved house further away from my office, so had I still been working today, I would probably have retained the CX bike and put on hybrid tyres or kept on my 25mm Contis. In better weather, I had the option of riding through the forest.  :P
    Thanks, it's always useful to hear the reason why someone's taken the exact opposite decision to the one you're about to make.

My commute is about 12 mile per day so too far to walk. I also have the option of doing half my journey through the woods although I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it (It's a long way round but certainly a pleasanter one).
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    « Reply #147 on: January 17, 2014, 03:16 »
    I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while now and since I've gotten rid of the bike that inspired my username and my old training bike I figured I should do it before I run out of bikes all together :D

This has lasted me just over two years now, so hopefully I can get permission to replace it later this year before I move back to Brisbane and start racing regularly again. It's a bit dirty ATM, took the photo after this morning's ride.

I also got some new kit from a friends' family shop this week. They are importing their own bikes as well, selling them with the same brand name (Johnson). Hopefully, I can get my hands on one later this year to replace the Cannondale. Best thing is, they only sell with Campy so no more Shimano for me!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:29 by 42x16ss »

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #148 on: January 17, 2014, 07:41 »
    Nice ride mate, just wait Joachim to see that stem/spacers thingie. He was just cruel to me :D
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    « Reply #149 on: January 17, 2014, 08:34 »
    Thanks! Yeah that's a 130mm stem - I'm 182cm with long limbs. I'm not flexible enough to take out the top cap and just run a bearing cover anymore though :D

I should trim the steerer sometime soon but too lazy.
  • ReplyReply

•