collapse

Martin318is

• Domestique
  • Liked: 162
  • Less interesting than he seems on paper
Formula 1 - 2012
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:30 »
Just thought I would mention that the Australian GP is this weekend and my office is about 500m from the track surface.  From where I am sitting I have already had several aircraft pass the windows at roughly eye-level.  Can't wait till the F1 practise starts up tomorrow and we get to feel the windows rattling.  :-D
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 934
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Re: Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:40 »
    Hoping Webber can beat his team mate this time.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 04:03 »
    Would be nice to see him finally win his home GP - especially since virtually his best effort here was his first start in the Minardi...  although, yes he has led the race several times to no success..
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:15 »
    As a Sandgroper I am meant to be behind Riccardo all the way (btw, he had a piece on him behind the Gazzetta paywall, did anyone get to read it?) but really, the hype in the WA media he's got whenever he farted, I'm over it now, so I hope he retires on lap one. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:20 »
    Would be nice to see him finally win his home GP - especially since virtually his best effort here was his first start in the Minardi...  although, yes he has led the race several times to no success..
    Another reason I like him more than his some of his successful counterparts. He worked his way up to a top team, through a below average jaguar and williams, while nowadays drivers are earmarked for top teams from their first year.

Although, I don't think he'll have much of a chance to beat Vettel with the team orders back, unless Vettel has some proper failures.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:35 »
    In a way I am sorry that he didnt take a seat at Ferrari this year.  Its been rumoured for a few years that Massa's seat was his for the asking.  If this year is another smashing by Vettel then he may end up with only lower team options for next year...  If he keeps it close (or wins) however, he will be driving at the top end for a few more seasons.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 04:35 »
    As a Sandgroper I am meant to be behind Riccardo all the way (btw, he had a piece on him behind the Gazzetta paywall, did anyone get to read it?) but really, the hype in the WA media he's got whenever he farted, I'm over it now, so I hope he retires on lap one. :D

You're Australian - that's how it is supposed to work
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 04:42 »
    In a way I am sorry that he didnt take a seat at Ferrari this year.  Its been rumoured for a few years that Massa's seat was his for the asking.  If this year is another smashing by Vettel then he may end up with only lower team options for next year...  If he keeps it close (or wins) however, he will be driving at the top end for a few more seasons.
    Doesn't Massa's contract end this year? I've heard Luca di Montezemolo hint at his departure after that a couple of times. Either way, it'll be a bit of a case of fire to frying pan if Webber goes to an Alonso led Ferrari.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:52 »
    You're Australian - that's how it is supposed to work

What, the unrequited following or schadenfraude? :D
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 04:55 »
    What, the unrequited following or schadenfraude? :D

One followed by the other, or in an opposite's relationship.

eg:  Follow Greg Norman until he makes it and then once he is earning, drop him like a rock and laugh every time he chokes.

Thousands of similar examples, but Leighton Hewit is another one.  Australian cricket team is another.

We love strugglers but are sickened by "winners"
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 05:16 »
    Really? I get Tall Poppy Syndrome and all but usually we love a champion and milk them for all their worth. TPS is *usually* reserved for non-Aussies. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 05:29 »
    Really? I get Tall Poppy Syndrome and all but usually we love a champion and milk them for all their worth. TPS is *usually* reserved for non-Aussies. :D

...and successful Aussies who have become annoying.

(fixed that for you)  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 08:03 »

At least he got AFL off the back page.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 08:06 »
    Agree with those hoping Webber can do well.  I am hoping Vettel is a little more human this year, and therefore, Webber is on a bit more a level playing field.  Don't see why he would want to go to Ferrari - he's nearing the end of his career, he's in the best car (probably)...do one, maybe two more years at Red Bull and retire?

Overall, I am hoping Mclaren give Button a car that is capable of challenging Red Bull, and delivering him a second world title.  Or at the very least, one that sees him out perform Hamilton again  :)

Roll on the weekend! 
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 08:11 »
    What are the rule changes this year?

Haven't watched much the last couple of years, too busy with two wheels.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
     Lewis Hamilton's dad to launch 'X-Factor' style F1 talent hunt
    London, Mar 13 (ANI): Lewis Hamilton's dad Anthony is set to launch a Formula 1 talent contest which emulates the style of shows like 'X-factor', to hunt for Grand Prix stars of the future.
    The McLaren drivers' father said that he has tentative backing from F1 teams to make race seats available on the 2014 Formula 1 grid if the drivers, one male and one female, make the grade.
    The format, christened 107 percent, is intended to be a global competition to find race drivers for F1 and other forms of motorsport.
    Just as it is in Formula 1, at each stage competitors will have to be within 107 percent of the winner or they will be kicked out of the competition.
    According to sources, the plan has influential backing in motor racing circles and a major manufacturer involved.
    "The idea is to reach deep into the untapped pool of the general public to find talented individuals who could be race drivers and that must exist worldwide," the Mirror quoted Anthony as saying.
    "The idea is to create 'X-factor' and 'Apprentice style' opportunities for the general public who dream to become race drivers. The intention is to use on-line qualifying within 107 percent of a set time as part of the process then the competition is within the reach of everyone who has a dream of becoming a race driver.
    "The only qualifications for entrance will be that you can reach the pedals of a road car! Essentially you pay a modest fee to download a programme and then you can try and qualify as many times as you want.
    "If you pass the on-line qualification stages you will be invited to take part in the actual competition where there will be various televised boot camps and it will end in a televised live F1-style final," he said.
    He also said that there were other modes of payment, if one was not enough.
    "If you can't play on-line, you will still get the opportunity to enter the competition by visiting a dealer showroom.
    "The winner gets a full season's drive with an F1 team - a real race drive not a one- off test. Most people dare not even dream of an F1 or race driver career because the various steps on the ladder are so expensive. Well my dream is that 107 percent can help make some people's dreams come true.
    "I am planning - and hoping - to launch 107 percent in the next two months. I'm putting my reputation on the line with my belief that somewhere out there a new star is waiting to be found, if I fail I'll take up fishing! The concept can work, I just need everything to come together to make it happen and so far it's all looking good, so fingers crossed," he added.
    Anthony is legendary for the way he helped his son Lewis, the 2008 world champion, negotiate the pit falls of an F1 career to become the best in the world.
    Now he is working with his other son, Nic, 19, who is a saloon car racer, and running an elite management group which includes rising F1 star Paul di Resta, world kart champion Nick De Vries and the son of retired world champion boxer Chris Eubank. (ANI)
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 14:04 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16872627

Well, it certainly won't be the best looking grid (for car's) this year.  I know the 'hump' on the nose is to fit in with the new regulations, but it sure as a hell isn't pretty to look at.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 14:15 »
    Why no stepped nose for McLaren?
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1081
    « Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 15:41 »
    Why no stepped nose for McLaren?

Every other team has decided that the best solution to the new rules forcing a lower nose is to plough ahead with having as high a chassis as possible, in order to maximise the flow of air underneath the car.

“I’ve asked our technical guys if they are sure that we have done the right thing and they have told me not to worry,” team boss Whitmarsh is quoted by Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport.

He admitted there is an obvious aerodynamic benefit to the ‘step nose’ solution.

“But we have a lower centre of gravity, more freedom in the suspension geometry, and a more comfortable seating position and a better view for the driver,” added Whitmarsh.

The main reason for McLaren’s decision is that, having already gone a different route to Red Bull at the front of the car last year, a ‘step’ nose would have required a wholesale design philosophy change.

“This car is an evolution,” confirmed Whitmarsh.

“In terms of radical innovations that are visibly obvious, I’ll have to disappoint — these rules just don’t leave that sort of room any more.”

How about the Renault Lotus colour scheme, harks back to the JPS Lotus glory days.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 17:09 »
    Cheers Captain.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 23:13 »
    Agree with those hoping Webber can do well.  I am hoping Vettel is a little more human this year, and therefore, Webber is on a bit more a level playing field.  Don't see why he would want to go to Ferrari - he's nearing the end of his career, he's in the best car (probably)...do one, maybe two more years at Red Bull and retire?

Not sure that Red Bull will give him that much time in the car.  I have a feeling that he has 3 years left as a driver at Ferrari or another team but probably only 1 at Red Bull.  There are so many top drivers pushing to get that second seat that Mark may be pushed out of it.  If for example - not that its that likely - Hamilton were to approach Red Bull when his McLaren contract ends Mark wouldn't stand a chance.  its been pretty clear for a while that they consider Mark to be the Red Bull "Massa".
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 51
    « Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 04:34 »
    ...will be very interesting how the Button Hamilton drama plays out this year...who does the McLaren car design favour and how will the driver driven politics steer up-season car developments and refinements...

...ahh the soapy drama of it all...

Cheers

blutto

• ReplyReply

• Sizzle

• Owner of Liquigas & Garmin
    • 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 144
    • Vale Craig1985
    « Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 07:24 »
    I am looking forward to the day this anachronistic event leaves Melbourne. A fifty million dollar government subsidy - what a waste of taxpayer money. Better nurse-patient ratios instead, please.

On another note: I live about 2 km from the track and ride through Albert Park regularly. It's always interesting to watch the unfurling of Grand Prix paraphernalia (grandstands, concrete barriers etc) over a two month or so period, and then its withdrawal. The noise of the cars and the road closures don't bother me at all. But I HATE the jet fighter plane flyovers. I cannot tell you how much.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 14:56 »
    Nice to see F1 back,  looking out for more heroics from Kobayashi.   Button with the usual calmness personified and getting the job done while his teamate loses it, and Massa spending the year inevitably getting his butt kicked by Alonso.

• ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 21:45 »
    I am looking forward to the day this anachronistic event leaves Melbourne. A fifty million dollar government subsidy - what a waste of taxpayer money. Better nurse-patient ratios instead, please

I get what you are saying but in terms of sport in Melbourne the GP is cheap - it is also credited with helping us get the comm games.  Its also silly to think the money would go to public sector jobs instead.  It would just go to another big event to promote Melbourne.

As a former queens road resident - 150 metres from the track I used to think it was awesome once the road closures started and we could do team time trial training on the fast surface with only rollerbladers for company.

Flyovers do scare the pets though.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 21:48 »
    Just checking - has passing been re-introduced to F1 yet???   ::)

Have you been under a rock? LOL

More passes per race some times last year than in whole seasons in the Schumey era
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 07:10 »
    Grid (top 10):
    Hamilton (McLaren)
    Button (McLaren)
    Grosjean (Lotus)
    Schumacher (Mercedes)
    Webber (Red Bull)
    Vettel (Red Bull)
    Rosberg (Mercedes)
    Maldonado (Williams)
    Hulkenberg (Force India)
    Ricciardo (Toro Rosso)

Both Ferrari's outside the top 10, Alonso spinning off in Q2.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 07:18 »
    grosjean  :o

Good to see Red Balls struggling.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 07:31 »
    It's nice when your outside fantasy pick qualifies 3rd :D
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1081
    « Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 10:02 »
    Ouch, this season has the makings of a procession for Mclaren, the teams and drivers they would be most afraid of are a long way back. Early days though.

If the Renault is this good, they are seriously going to regret not having a better driver line up. (Raikonnen not having raced for two years)

• ReplyReply

•