collapse

cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3257
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
Re: Formula 1 - 2012
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2012, 11:02 »
Lot depends on McLaren's plans to go their own way on the engine front. Their contract with Mercedes ends in 2012 AFAIK and there are new regulations on engines next year.

You're partly right. This season is the last in which Merc are providing McL with engines for free. As of next year - where the engine regs will be the same - McL have to pay for the engines as a customer team, in the same way as Force India currently do.

The new engine regs - for 1.6L Turbo V6 engines - comes into force in 2014. So far, there's no word on who will be making these. I know the FIA were hoping that other car manufacturers might be tempted to join F1 if the engines required will be closer to their road cars - Volkswagen was a name I remember mentioned.

We can safely assume that Merc, Renault and Ferrari will make new-style engines, but we may find someone new coming in. Williams are working on a hybrid engine with Jaguar at the moment, I believe, so anything can happen on that front. With the engineering talent and experience on hand at Woking, I can't see McLaren suddenly falling to the back of the grid when the regs change in a couple of years.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)