collapse

ram

Re: Formula 1 - 2012
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2012, 16:33 »
Yeah, Rosberg didn't and this is where I'd love for F1 to be a bit like V8 supercars and maybe make public some more sensitive data.

Looking at the way the 2 Mercedes have had such contrasting performances over the same races, it really wouldn't be a surprise if their suspension stiffness, tyre pressures and even the gear speeds were substantially different.

Though all this is likely to be a load of balls.

On the race itself, what a drive by Massa, and Senna nearly put him into the walls.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #121 on: September 23, 2012, 17:32 »
    Very unlucky for Hamilton today, and would have been a cracking race between him and Vettel.  Have to say, if he does jump ship and go to Mercedes, I think he'll be making a very bad move.  McLaren have won 2 out of the last 4, had pole in all 4, and barring mechanical failures, would have had 2 on the podium at both Monza and today in Singapore.  Mercedes, in contrast, have been nowhere.  Does he really think they can give him a title winning car?   
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

ram

« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2012, 17:35 »
    5 million quid pay cut. Would anyone accept that?
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #123 on: September 23, 2012, 22:49 »
    Prost was racing today or I missed something again?
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #124 on: September 24, 2012, 09:32 »
    5 million quid pay cut. Would anyone accept that?

I think with F1 heading towards a budget cap, and Hamilton's last contract having been negotiated before the global economy went south, he may not have a choice. Merc almost certainly won't be able to offer much more in terms of hard cash.

The advantage they do have, though, is the wider appeal of their brand. Hamilton would make much more from additional endorsements, etc. than he would with McLaren. And if that is the reason he moves, he doesn't deserve a title-winning car!

Didn't watch much of the Singapore GP - the WCs were much, much more interesting!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9130
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #125 on: September 24, 2012, 09:47 »
    Prost was racing today or I missed something again?

The Professor finished 3rd yesterday
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #126 on: September 24, 2012, 12:50 »
    The Professor finished 3rd yesterday
    Thanks ;D!
    And Sir Brabham?
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2012, 13:07 »
    I think with F1 heading towards a budget cap, and Hamilton's last contract having been negotiated before the global economy went south, he may not have a choice. Merc almost certainly won't be able to offer much more in terms of hard cash.

The advantage they do have, though, is the wider appeal of their brand. Hamilton would make much more from additional endorsements, etc. than he would with McLaren. And if that is the reason he moves, he doesn't deserve a title-winning car!

Didn't watch much of the Singapore GP - the WCs were much, much more interesting!
    Nah, Singapore was very good.

Mercedes could easily sh*t on most offers. The budget caps will not happen till all of F1 and FOTA get behind it (aye, Ferrari are backing it now). When does that happen? Surely, not in the next season.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #128 on: September 24, 2012, 13:08 »

On the race itself, what a drive by Massa, and Senna nearly put him into the walls.

You mean that Senna on the normal racing line in a section with only one line was nearly hit by Massa who was squirreling out of control after having nearly all 4 wheels off the circuit?  That bit?   ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

ram

« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2012, 13:09 »
    Yeah that bit, just a natural aversion to all Brazilian kin of World Champions. Him and that Piquet.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #130 on: September 24, 2012, 13:19 »
    Senna at least has shown some of his own talent. Piquet junior has managed only to succeed when running in his own team, and then deliberately crashed into a wall :fp.

Rosberg has done well on his own, although not up to his father's standards. Also juniors Hill and Villeneuve have a pretty healthy palmeres ;)
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2012, 14:35 »
    Dunno, was Keke so great? Won only 5 races and in a more than decent Williams. He's one who'd have made it even without the surname for mine. And 1998 is said to be the year that aerodynamics went to the next level in F1 with Newey, Mclaren and Hakkinen, who'll have his birthday in four days. That's another thing to consider.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #132 on: September 24, 2012, 15:07 »
    the 1982 Williams wasn't that great, the turbocharged cars already had an advantage I think. But of course, Rosberg profited from Pironi crashing a couple of races before the end of the season.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #133 on: September 28, 2012, 08:05 »
    So it's all done, Hamilton to Mercedes (slightly surprised), Perez to replace him at McLaren.  So presumably, Massa is also staying put at Ferrari

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19755236

I like this bit:
    sources close to the 27-year-old insist he has switched teams with a view to long-term performance...But Mercedes have sold the move to Hamilton on the basis that they are preparing for a huge push in 2014, when new chassis and engine rules are introduced

Cue the toys rapidly leaving the Hamilton pram if/when this does not materialise   :)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #134 on: September 28, 2012, 09:54 »
    So it's all done, Hamilton to Mercedes (slightly surprised), Perez to replace him at McLaren.

I'm more than slightly surprised. He is leaving a team with a car capable of winning the title for a team without a car capable of winning at all (or even finishing most races...), on the basis that they will make a car capable of winning in a couple of years. But Hamilton wants to win now. And given their reputation and staff, I'd argue that McLaren might well do better under the new engine regs anyway.

Perez would be a great fit for McLaren - he is young, supremely talented and already more mature/disciplined on the track than, say, Maldonado or Grosjean. Plus, one assumes he will bring his Mexican sponsorship with him, which is an added bonus for my local boys from Woking (Woo! Surrey!  :win :win :win) and supremely damaging for Sauber. Losing that money will certainly rule out any move there from Schumi, however unlikely that would be for any number of other reasons.

So presumably, Massa is also staying put at Ferrari

Not guaranteed by any means... There are a couple of Ferrari academy drivers out there who would be in with a shout of his seat. Di Resta, for example. Massa never got back to his previous best after his accident a couple of years back.

Cue the toys rapidly leaving the Hamilton pram if/when this does not materialise   :)

Definitely a when, I think. And no way McLaren will take him back!

Incidentally, the Daily Telegraph story contains possibly my favourite line of all time:

Quote from: Tom Cary, Daily Telegraph
    The announcement is almost certain to end the career of the most successful driver in Formula One, seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher, whose return three years ago to the sport he once bestrode like a colossus palpably failed to live up to expectations.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #135 on: September 28, 2012, 10:01 »
    My reading of it is that McLaren made Hamilton's decision for him. Being a complete cock when releasing telemetry data on twitter was probably the last straw and McLaren stopped waiting to see what Hamilton would do and brought in the best young talent available instead.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #136 on: September 28, 2012, 10:15 »
    My reading of it is that McLaren made Hamilton's decision for him. Being a complete cock when releasing telemetry data on twitter was probably the last straw and McLaren stopped waiting to see what Hamilton would do and brought in the best young talent available instead.

I do love that they have announced Hamilton's replacement before Mercedes have officially confirmed his signing. A great "up-yours" disguised behind a polite smile.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2012, 10:26 »
    Lot depends on McLaren's plans to go their own way on the engine front. Their contract with Mercedes ends in 2012 AFAIK and there are new regulations on engines next year. Whether it's a given that McLaren will be successful is questionable if so.

Hamilton wanted the cash, Mclaren wanted to rid him, and both be happy.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #138 on: September 28, 2012, 11:02 »
    Lot depends on McLaren's plans to go their own way on the engine front. Their contract with Mercedes ends in 2012 AFAIK and there are new regulations on engines next year.

You're partly right. This season is the last in which Merc are providing McL with engines for free. As of next year - where the engine regs will be the same - McL have to pay for the engines as a customer team, in the same way as Force India currently do.

The new engine regs - for 1.6L Turbo V6 engines - comes into force in 2014. So far, there's no word on who will be making these. I know the FIA were hoping that other car manufacturers might be tempted to join F1 if the engines required will be closer to their road cars - Volkswagen was a name I remember mentioned.

We can safely assume that Merc, Renault and Ferrari will make new-style engines, but we may find someone new coming in. Williams are working on a hybrid engine with Jaguar at the moment, I believe, so anything can happen on that front. With the engineering talent and experience on hand at Woking, I can't see McLaren suddenly falling to the back of the grid when the regs change in a couple of years.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2012, 11:54 »
    :censoreds can't even implement change :fp
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2012, 04:46 »
    Bathurst 1000> Japanese GP any day

Only shame is that Whincup's looking good for victory. Carn Van Gis.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2012, 09:17 »
    Crapulent race in Japan, and Vettel will win another title. All while having a treat for Bathurst.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2012, 13:15 »
    Di Vilota's skull post accident
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #143 on: October 11, 2012, 13:22 »
    F*** me...
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2012, 17:01 »
    Seem to remember reading that her right eye is blind, but she's well enough to hold a press conference. So that's good.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #145 on: October 15, 2012, 08:36 »
    Vettel to Ferrari in 2014.  Bit surprised tbh... Alonso is Ferrari's top dog and the team is built around him.  He even vetoed them trying to sign Hamilton (for obvious reasons) earlier this year apparently, but I can't see Vettel being a willing number 2 at all, especially as he will go there having won more Championships that the Spaniard (probably...).  Either way, means Ferrari will need to get their act together and produce a car worthy of their driver line up.  Will be interested to see who gets linked to Red Bull - who at the moment claim that they have Vettel until the end of  2014.  Webber must be near retirement soon I would have thought, so they could potentially end up with two new/relatively inexperienced drivers in one go...not ideal for them.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #146 on: October 15, 2012, 10:58 »
    2014 is the year everything changes, engine-wise. Webber might well retire at the end of next year rather than carry on under the new regs.

Meanwhile, I would have thought Renault stood a better chance of a title-winning engine than Ferrari. 1.6L is a little below what the boys at Maranello are used to crafting!

For what it's worth, Horner and Mateschitz are both denying it (quelle surprise, etc.). If Vettel is still challenging for the title this time next year (potentially on the verge of his 4th successive title, something only 1 person has done before), I can't see him moving.

But stranger things have happened in the crazy world of F1.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #147 on: October 15, 2012, 11:26 »
    as I read the BBC is the source for this, is it Eddie Jordan again who brought this to the public?!

From Vettel's point of view I think it's a good move, he has been with Red Bull long enough and has won everything - taking another challange is the right step at that point of the career + winning a championship with Ferrari is something special, of way more worth than winning it at Red Bull, even if would be the 5th consecutive titel. With the engine situation I also think it's not a bad move to join a factory-team.

Regarding Alonso, I don't think he is a driver who avoids competition. The situation is different now than it was an McLaren, he is way more mature - sure he'd prefere Massa to stay but I think he will like to face Vettel.

For Red Bull it's a bit different, they might struggle to find equivalent replacements. Their young drivers were not exactly as promising as expected, maybe Ricciardo will mature driving another year for Toro Rosso but I doubt he is fast enough. Maybe, depending on the progress at Mercedes and his relation to Hamilton, Rosberg might be an option. Maybe also Kimi, I think he always had some kind of relationship to Red Bull.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2012, 14:00 »
    Romain Grosjean to Red Bull. You heard it here first.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #149 on: October 15, 2012, 14:14 »
    Romain Grosjean to Red Bull. You heard it here first.

If only to increase his chance of being thrown out of a space balloon...
  • ReplyReply

•