« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2012, 14:30 »
And he'd fly at supersonic speeds. 8 time World Champion
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    Re: Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #151 on: October 15, 2012, 14:32 »
    as I read the BBC is the source for this, is it Eddie Jordan again who brought this to the public?!

For Red Bull it's a bit different, they might struggle to find equivalent replacements. Their young drivers were not exactly as promising as expected, maybe Ricciardo will mature driving another year for Toro Rosso but I doubt he is fast enough. Maybe, depending on the progress at Mercedes and his relation to Hamilton, Rosberg might be an option. Maybe also Kimi, I think he always had some kind of relationship to Red Bull.

Glock perhaps also.   I reckon Webber will stay as a safe option for a while yet IMO.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #152 on: October 15, 2012, 14:36 »
    And he'd fly at supersonic speeds. 8 time World Champion

He's more likely just to crash, though, don't you think?
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

ram

« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2012, 14:57 »
    Phurt, the negative crap.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #154 on: October 15, 2012, 15:01 »
    For Red Bull it's a bit different, they might struggle to find equivalent replacements. Their young drivers were not exactly as promising as expected, maybe Ricciardo will mature driving another year for Toro Rosso but I doubt he is fast enough. Maybe, depending on the progress at Mercedes and his relation to Hamilton, Rosberg might be an option. Maybe also Kimi, I think he always had some kind of relationship to Red Bull.

What's the exact relationship between Red Bull and Toro Rosso?  Does Red Bull have much, if any say, in what goes on at the junior team?  I know that it's designed to be an F1 testing ground for drivers who then graduate into the senior team, but how does that work if you have 2 new drivers every year?  Neither Buemi or Algesuari did that badly last year, yet both got the boot (but are rumoured to be coming back next season).  Is there an 'obligation' that Red Bull take on/get first refusal on a Toro Rosso driver, or is it that since Vettel, quite simply none of them have been particularly good?
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #155 on: October 15, 2012, 15:10 »
    As I understand it, Red Bull (the team run by Horner and Newey in Milton Keynes) have no say in what happens at Toro Rosso (who are based, I believe, in Italy). The drivers at TR are, however, part of the Red Bull development programme. There are other drivers on the programme, and being on it does not - as far as I know - guarantee you a race seat at either team. The senior Red Bull team doesn't have an obligation to take on a driver from TR to fill a vacancy, but given that the parent company has invested heavily in both, you have to assume that is where the next RB driver will come from.

As an aside, and for context - Sergio Perez is part of the Ferrari driver academy. I don't know whether this helped him get a seat at Sauber (who are Ferrari engine customers - I suspect the sponsorship from Mexico was a bigger factor), but when looking at their 2013 options, Ferrari decided that Perez wasn't experienced enough. They then allowed him to sign for one of their major rivals. This may turn out to be a mistake  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13158
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #156 on: October 15, 2012, 15:45 »
    allegedly they tested both Perez and Bianchi last year in direct comparison and Perez was too slow - that's why they've chosen Bianchi over Perez es Ferrari test driver. Also Kobayashi never really featured in the lower series so it will be interesting to see if Perez will be able to prove himself versus Button.

regarding Toro Rosso, both, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso are owned by Dietrich Mateschitz and - eventhough he officially is just the "motorsport consultant" - managed by Dr. Helmut Marko. So he has the force to make personal decisions in both teams. And as he is the former holder of the "Red Bull Junior Team" most (all?) drivers at Toro Rosso come from this development program.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #157 on: October 15, 2012, 16:09 »
    As an aside, and for context - Sergio Perez is part of the Ferrari driver academy. I don't know whether this helped him get a seat at Sauber (who are Ferrari engine customers - I suspect the sponsorship from Mexico was a bigger factor)

indeed, yes, the sponsorship money from Mexico did have an influence. With Carlos Slim being confirmed to keep sponsoring Sauber in 2013 (eventhough Perez will leave) I also think it's very likely that Esteban Gutierrez will take his seat. With Hülkenberg being rumoured to take the second seat (and therefor Kobayashi being sacked) it's also possible Gutierrez will take his place for the last races this season.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #158 on: October 15, 2012, 16:25 »
    Interesting - I'd heard that Perez was taking his sponsorship with him to McLaren. If not, then Gutierrez is almost certain to take the seat.

I'd heard Hulk for Sauber as well, which seems like a bit of a sideways move. Certainly not the jump up in performance a driver of Nico's talent deserves. Perhaps he's jumping ship because of the dodgy dealings of his current boss  ;D

Edit - link if you hadn't seen anything about Mr. Mallya's current problems. Not dodgy, per se, but not good news for the boys and girls back at the factory.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #159 on: October 15, 2012, 16:52 »
    yep, that may be a reason, I think pacewise it won't make much difference

Telmex to stay at Sauber was reported by Autosport a while ago
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #160 on: October 28, 2012, 10:48 »
    So normally, I'd be all excited about watching the GP this afternoon, but I just don't see anyone other than Vettel winning, en route to his third straight championship.  And I don't really like Vettel, so this irritates me  :(   

On the plus side, I think the India circuit looks great  :tu
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2012, 11:02 »
    On the very positive side, flip Ferrari, :censoreds
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #162 on: October 28, 2012, 11:19 »
    best thing about that race is that it's over already
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2012, 12:21 »
    And the worst would have to be Ferrari making a sh*t political statement and lying about it.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #164 on: October 31, 2012, 16:22 »
    The greatest.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Grand Prix: Abu Dhabi
    « Reply #165 on: November 02, 2012, 17:59 »
    Any F1 fans out there? #F1 quali at 11:50 SA time tomorrow - Abu Dhabi here we come #AbuDhabiBaby #GoGoJenson #ILoveMcLaren
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #166 on: November 03, 2012, 10:57 »
    I just found this - didn't realise you guys had F1 section - awesome #AbuDhabiBaby
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #167 on: November 03, 2012, 10:57 »
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #168 on: November 03, 2012, 18:52 »
    Abu Dhabi drama - Vettel ran out of petrol last lap of Quali 3 - been penalized - starts at back of grid - this has truly been quite a year in Formula 1 - the plot thickens once again.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2012, 18:56 »
    If it's anything like the V8s, it should be a snoozefest. Two races with barely an overtaking. Seriously crap track, and what idiots Red Bull are.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #170 on: November 03, 2012, 19:00 »
    Oh yeah, the Supercars is on too, saw a tweet this morning. Yeah, heard about the tracks being lame, think it's all the same German architect?
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #171 on: November 03, 2012, 19:01 »
    and what idiots Red Bull are.

Yeah - they have no need to take chances like that - in a good position in the champs race, 4th on grid would've sufficed - risky bizniz.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #172 on: November 03, 2012, 19:05 »
    Seriously crap track

Hermann Tilke. Of course, a lot of people say it's for safety reasons.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #173 on: November 03, 2012, 19:09 »
    Wiki: "Tilke's track designs have been the subject of criticism. A 2009 profile in The Guardian noted that Tilke "has been accused of penning boring tracks and, even worse, of butchering legendary ones like Hockenheim."[1] Former driver and team owner Sir Jackie Stewart was critical of Tilke in a 2011 piece in The Daily Telegraph, blaming his designs for the lack of overtaking and excitement at many Formula One races, saying they "are largely carbon copies of each other". Stewart, while praising the vast improvement the designs have brought to the sport's safety as well as "bringing fantastic amenities and luxuries to the sport", argued that the tracks have "gone too far the other way" in terms of safety. His primary complaint was that the large tarmac run-off areas fail to "penalise mistakes"; he cited the 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, where Mark Webber was unable to pass Fernando Alonso, despite the latter running wide on four occasions, because the track's run-off areas did not impede him. Stewart suggested that the run-offs be made of a substance that slowed the cars down and thus punished drivers' mistakes. Webber echoed Stewart's views, stating that he was "spot on"."
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2012, 19:11 »
    It's under floodlights though, it has to be perfect even if it's dog's balls. At least that's what our commentators say
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #175 on: November 03, 2012, 19:17 »
    The tyre situation has done a lot to improve the comp, if/when that goes stale and people lose interest due to boring tracks and Formula 1 loses $ I guess they'd have to do something to change the track, money talks. Time will tell I guess.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #176 on: November 03, 2012, 19:48 »
    Vettel starts at back of grid

That's even worse than back-of-grid...

“@SkySportsF1: Christian Horner: 'Sebastian will start from the pit lane for tomorrow’s race'”

So that's what disqualified from quali means - completely off the grid.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #177 on: November 03, 2012, 20:13 »
    2nd try... I've gone & confoozed myself completely - to clarify - disqualification from quali leads to back-of-grid penalty - Red Bull's Chris Horner is choosing to start in pit lane so that they can work on/check Seb's car...

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/vettel-disqualified-sent-to-back-of-grid-20121104-28rq2.html

"Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel will start Sunday's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix from the back of the grid after he was disqualified from qualifying for a fuel irregularity, the governing body FIA said.

The Formula One championship leader, who had qualified in third place on Saturday night, did not have enough fuel in his car for a sample to be taken.
    The decision means Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, his closest rival in the title race, will move up one place to sixth.

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton is on pole position for the race with Red Bull's Mark Webber second.
    Vettel has a 13-point lead over Alonso in the championship after winning the past four races"
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #178 on: November 04, 2012, 12:54 »
    Ok, it's AbuDhabiTime - let's hope it's not all snore&bore - sometimes the drivers surprise us.. #McLaren
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #179 on: November 04, 2012, 12:57 »
    And although Ferrari have been total & utter douchebags, I do like Fernando, and although Button's my man, I think Alonso's possibly the best driver of them all, and wouldn't mind him winning this year - he's earned it.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 19/20 by search
    [Today at 10:04]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [Today at 08:10]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by al_pacino
    [December 11, 2019, 22:01]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by search
    [December 11, 2019, 17:46]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Joelsim