collapse

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
  • Classics Winner
  • Liked: 126
Formula 1 - 2012
« Reply #270 on: November 04, 2012, 14:54 »
Raikkonen the next winner in a Lotus car since Senna in 1987 should he win!

Very very cool :-) #Senna #Legend
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #271 on: November 04, 2012, 14:55 »
    If Vettel wouldve started 3rd or 4th.. man he wouldve won this easily! But some more tension for the WC now :)

Zegactly! Fun F1 times! Catch you soon :-)
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #272 on: November 04, 2012, 19:06 »
    V8s are normally good and used to be better in the pre 2 manufacturer era. Nissan and Mercedes' arrival will hopefully change that.

Pre 2 manufacturer era? Only 2 diff car manufacturers in V8? I know very little about it, is it really very cool to follow?
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2624
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    Re: Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #273 on: November 04, 2012, 19:35 »
    way cool
    http://www.redbull.no/cs/Satellite/no_NO/360-F1/001243262600173
    It seems Red Bull is at it again, providing us with entertainment that gets the adrenaline going, simultaneously exciting us and making us feel we might lose our lunch. This time it is with an interactive 360-degree camera mounted to the top of one of their Formula One Red Bull racecars.

Cameras in racecars are nothing new these days, but generally you'll only get a few views — depending on how the team covering the race decides to direct the action. Red Bull Racing has partnered with Making View to attach one of their 360-degree ViewCams on the top of their cars and the key difference with this cam is you can control the camera view.
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #274 on: November 04, 2012, 19:41 »
    way cool
    http://www.redbull.no/cs/Satellite/no_NO/360-F1/001243262600173
    It seems Red Bull is at it again Red Bull Racing 360-degree ViewCams

Sounds cool! No flash player on phone though :-( will have to check it out on the laptop once I'm home again
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1122
    « Reply #275 on: November 04, 2012, 19:58 »
    Bit late but... Kimi  :win  8)
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #276 on: November 04, 2012, 20:20 »
    Bit late but... Kimi  :win  8)

:-) #TheIcemanIsBack
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #277 on: November 04, 2012, 20:37 »
    "Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone said he's not worried about Bahrain once again hosting a Formula One race despite ongoing clashes between security forces and anti-government protesters...The Bahrain Grand Prix was held in April without violence at the race, although it was a public relations disaster for F1. Sectarian violence rocked the streets of Manama, causing death and injury during the race weekend. It created a disturbing background for the race, which was won by Sebastian Vettel."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jJkmIIESEabJiIpOkd8CTESMymzQ?docId=57f7dc12550447a8a606084ad8303f59

I have subsequently read quite a few articles on Bahrain, particularly this regarding medics who had given protestors and human rights activists medical treatment after riots, and were then arrested, and now sentenced:

"Amnesty International issued a statement condemning the arrests. "Today's imprisonment once again marks the lack of any real commitment from Bahrain's government to be held accountable and deliver true justice for victims of human rights violations,” said Ann Harrison, the group's Middle East and North Africa deputy programme director."

http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=23809

And this "The teenager sustained severe injuries and was left to bleed to death in police custody," the Shia opposition party al-Wefaq claimed in a statement"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/bahrain/9576269/Bahrain-police-shoot-17-year-old-protester-dead-in-new-wave-of-Shia-unrest.html

It's heavy stuff and personally I think they should not go to Bahrain.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #278 on: November 04, 2012, 20:44 »
    Re the medics being arrested for giving medical treatment to protestors:

"On the frontline, treating hundreds of these wounded civilians, doctors had first-hand knowledge of government atrocities. As a result of their efforts to provide unbiased care for wounded protestors, the government initiated systematic and targeted attacks against medical personnel. This assault on healthcare workers and their patients constitutes extreme violations of the principle of medical neutrality and are grave breaches of international law."

http://physiciansforhumanrights.org/issues/persecution-of-health-workers/bahrain/

• ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #279 on: November 05, 2012, 06:30 »
    "@nhishamm: Caterham group and Caterham F1 team major announcement is expected today. It's either Caterham Group tie-up with Renault Sport and/or Caterham F1  driver line up for 2013. All these France connection can only be mean one thing; France driver is on his way to join Caterham F1 Team. If caterham F1 team fail to secure 12th place at any last 2 races; they will lose $20 million prize money, that is huge sum for small team. Tony Fernandes seem desperate; If Caterham F1 fail to take back 10th place in constructor standings from Marrusia F1 team..He might lose $20million and also he will let go Heikki Kovalainen and get another driver than can bring huge sum of sponsorship money. This is when Charles Pic, currently with Marrusia F1 team is said to join Caterham F1 with all these france connection stuff going on."
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #280 on: November 06, 2012, 11:35 »
    "@DaveMorecambe: Jackie Stewart: F1 and Austin ‘a very, very good fit’ | http://t.co/orGlGLwe http://t.co/yEn0zcy5"

"Stewart told the American-Statesman last week that he’s never been to Austin but is looking forward to seeing the race, the circuit and the city. 'We’re coming to a part of America and particularly a city in America that’s great for young people because of the university and the high technology that exists there. I think it’s a very, very good fit.' Stewart, who was made an honorary Texan by Gov. Bill Clements on Nov. 15, 1982, acknowledged that there will be some growing pains for the Circuit of the Americas in this first year."

• ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 120
    « Reply #281 on: November 06, 2012, 14:58 »
    ....interesting article that kinda makes Hamilton's comments about Vettel being lucky on Sunday sound a bit less like sour grapes....and if you push this scenario to its logical conclusion starting on pit row after anything other than a stellar qualifying performance, like being out of a points position, may actually be the smart move...

...so that move would get you much more speed and as an added bonus tire wear is greatly reduced...two major factors in moving thru the field especially when you have a DRS option available on virtually every lap on top of the extra speed...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20210164

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 15:08 by blutto »

ram

« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2012, 15:08 »
    ....interesting article that kinda makes Hamilton's comments about Vettel being lucky on Sunday sound a bit less like sour grapes....and if you push this scenario to its logical conclusion starting on pit row after anything other than a stellar qualifying performance, like being out of a points position, may actually be the smart move...

...for instance that move would get you much more speed and tire wear is greatly reduced...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20210164

Cheers

blutto
    Their car is perfect for a race like India where there is a long high speed corner and their superior downforce on such corners allowed them to carry a 10 or 15 kmph advantage over the rest.

For a near street circuit like this, think they miscalculated by not going for straight line initially.

And their KERs are also dodgy.
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 120
    « Reply #283 on: November 06, 2012, 15:16 »
    Their car is perfect for a race like India where there is a long high speed corner and their superior downforce on such corners allowed them to carry a 10 or 15 kmph advantage over the rest.

For a near street circuit like this, think they miscalculated by not going for straight line initially.

And their KERs are also dodgy.

...yeah but then factor in the tire management issues and the big speed advantage plus the DRS option which is a part of every circuit....KERS wouldn't really have to play that big a role...

...and btw I was refering to the possibility of any and all teams using this strategy....so the cars with good KERS systems and those other advantages would have a real huge advantage...

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2012, 15:21 »
    Yeah, that last bit was just a musing. It did seem that they got it wrong in qualifying.

As Hamilton said though, it all fell in place for Vettel. Maybe if teams got a sh*tty 20th or so in qualifying, they could go for the pit lane option and change settings as Red Bull did. Still will be rare for mine.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #285 on: November 07, 2012, 10:44 »
    "HRT denies Ma Qing Hua rumours  HRT has denied reports in the Chinese media that Ma Qing Hua has been chosen as one of its drivers for the 2013 season."

http://en.espnf1.com/hrtf1/motorsport/story/94286.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #286 on: November 07, 2012, 10:48 »
    "Tony Fernandes confirms Caterham exit

Tony Fernandes: "We are definitely better at business than finding tenths of seconds around a lap" Tony Fernandes has confirmed he is to step down as team principal of Caterham.

The Malaysian, who is also chairman of Premier League football side Queens Park Rangers, feels he has taken the team as far as he can and that the time is right for some fresh input.

"On the racing side we have come to the conclusion that it is better if someone else takes over the team principal role to move forward," Fernandes told Autocar. "We are definitely better at business than finding tenths of seconds around a lap. It was right for us to lead the team initially and set a template of how it should be. That vision is now set and the team is ready to move forward to the midfield."

http://en.espnf1.com/caterham/motorsport/story/94278.html
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14537
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #287 on: November 07, 2012, 14:57 »
    As Hamilton said though, it all fell in place for Vettel. Maybe if teams got a sh*tty 20th or so in qualifying, they could go for the pit lane option and change settings as Red Bull did. Still will be rare for mine.

yeah, in general the advantage is not big enough. I think the essence of the article is more likey Red Bull's availability of using that different approach regarding setting up the car in future again (on tracks which don't favor the characterics of the car exactly).

Austin looks like a good track but I think it will favor the Red Bull again, if Alonso wants to win the championship he needs to rely on rain and chaos in Interlagos.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

ram

« Reply #288 on: November 07, 2012, 15:24 »
    yeah, in general the advantage is not big enough. I think the essence of the article is more likey Red Bull's availability of using that different approach regarding setting up the car in future again (on tracks which don't favor the characterics of the car exactly).

Austin looks like a good track but I think it will favor the Red Bull again, if Alonso wants to win the championship he needs to rely on rain and chaos in Interlagos.
    Aye, we had Gary Anderson as analyst here for a couple of years as commentator here. Good voice to have around for the technical side of things. I know that he was technical director at Stewart and its successor Jaguar. Needs an opinion coaxed out of him more often than not.

Agree about Austin, there's a sweeping corner in the final sector and the S's early in the lap.

Also, turns 16,15 and 14 look a bit like the corner after Pinherinho in reverse.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #289 on: November 07, 2012, 15:36 »
    Aye, we had Gary Anderson as analyst here for a couple of years as commentator here. Good voice to have around for the technical side of things. I know that he was technical director at Stewart and its successor Jaguar. Needs an opinion coaxed out of him more often than not.

he is working for the BBC now (since beginning of the season I think) and is a huge enrichment to their team. Before he joined Stewart he was at Jordan for several years, btw.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #290 on: November 07, 2012, 15:41 »
    Before he joined Stewart he was at Jordan for several years, btw.
    Of course :fp completely forgot that.

I'm happy not seeing the beeb coverage, would just make me more peeed at how crap ESPN Star's coverage is. Terrible
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #291 on: November 07, 2012, 15:45 »
    while we are talking about these old fellas...I don't know how popular it is, maybe everyone knows it already, but I always enjoy watching The Flying Lap on Smibs TV with Peter Windsor. It's every wednesday live from 2pm EST (in other words today's show airs in ~3:15 hours). Information content may vary with his selection of guests, but in general it's quite interesting mostly.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #292 on: November 07, 2012, 15:52 »
    I've only heaerd of it, never watched it. See Karun Chandok's name as one of the guests there. Chandok was surprisingly good with his F1 history. Helps to have a dad being head of Indian motorsports.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #293 on: November 07, 2012, 16:05 »
    yep, he's on there occasionally, he is also doing the live commentary for the practice sessions in the BBC at times.

They put all the shows of The Flying Lap on Youtube by the way.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2012, 16:09 »
    yep, he's on there occasionally, he is also doing the live commentary for the practice sessions in the BBC at times.

They put all the shows of The Flying Lap on Youtube by the way.
    Cheers, will see the next one.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #295 on: November 07, 2012, 17:12 »
    "@FakeTomita: McLaren boss admits team does not know how good Perez really is http://t.co/GBM9R7N1 #f1 #news"

"McLaren have admitted that they do not know exactly how good their new signing, Sergio Perez really is, as  the 22-year-old Mexican has failed to score a point in the four races since he was announced in September as successor to departing 2008 champion Lewis Hamilton.

Before the announcement, Perez had chalked up three podium finishes with Sauber.

“I think he’s got a lot of talent but if I’m honest, I don’t know,” McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh told reporters when asked about his new signing’s potential at the weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. “We wouldn’t have signed him unless we thought that he could go to another level, but we don’t [really] know.”

Perez..is the same age as Hamilton was when he joined McLaren in 2007 for what was to turn out to be a sensational debut season.

The Mexican has been at Sauber for two years and was seen initially as a ‘pay driver’- someone who owes his seat as much to the financial backing he brings as his talent. That notion changed this season, with Perez earning considerable praise for the way in which he has managed the tyres and fought for podium placings..“There’s been examples of drivers who have got a lot of talent and they can live with that pressure and deliver and others that can’t,” said Whitmarsh of the challenge ahead. I think it would be foolish of me to sit here and say, taking a very young driver, there’s not an element of risk in it. But we wouldn’t have done it unless we felt there was a possibility. Time will tell.”"
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #296 on: November 07, 2012, 22:01 »
    Bit late on the uptake here, but can someone explain to me why Vettel started from the pit lane rather than the back of the grid (team's decision/FIA decision/the rules allow this?) and why his car was not in parc ferme after qualification, and consequently, why the mechanics could completely alter his car set up?  As this Gary Anderson article says, his car went from second to last in the speed trap in qualifying to 4th in the race.  That to me, doesn't seem quite right that that is allowed, just because his team made a mistake with his fuel in qualifying...
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #297 on: November 07, 2012, 22:03 »
    can someone explain to me why Vettel started from the pit lane rather than the back of the grid (team's decision/FIA decision/the rules allow this?)

Was team's decision - don't know about the rest.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #298 on: November 07, 2012, 22:08 »
    /the rules allow this?

"It meant the German was relegated from third on the grid all the way back to 24th and last, although Red Bull later announced that he would instead start from the pit lane, which he is within his rights to do."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9653647/Abu-Dhabi-Grand-Prix-2012-Sebastian-Vettel-to-start-from-the-pit-lane-after-being-excluded-from-qualifying.html
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Formula 1 - 2012
    « Reply #299 on: November 07, 2012, 22:35 »
    Here's more.. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20193545

I can't find which rule states that they can get out of 'parc ferme' under these circumstances - seems the stewards accepted 'force majeur' for failing to make his way back to pit on his own steam, but then disqualified him because he had less than the required 1l fuel left.
  • ReplyReply

•