collapse

Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
  • Domestique
  • Liked: 36
  • Feel my wrath
Re: Formula 1 - 2012
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 10:09 »
Why didn't Riccardo post a time in the final qualifying session? Was it to save a pair of soft tyres for the race?
  • ReplyReply
  • - Australia's greatest sporting moment

Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 10:41 »
    Got home from the track a little while ago. Awesome sunny LOUD day :-D

Interesting spread at Lotus and quite a surprise at red bull.
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 11:51 »
    Alonso driving like an amateur, crashes out of Q2  but still out qualifies Massa..  :fp   
    And Michael seems to be up to speed at last. 
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 13:51 »
    Qualifying is actually exciting for the first few races, until the natural order is established.
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 51
    « Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 14:04 »
    ...so the testing sessions were somewhat accurate which is pretty unusual...

...Raikkonen must be just livid over the cock-up the qualifying was for him...be very interesting how the race will go him, what with a fast car stuck way off at the back of the grid...

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 925
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #35 on: March 17, 2012, 14:33 »
    He's not half bad for such a situation. My mind always goes back to his McLaren days, especially 2005.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 07:44 »
    Top drive by Button, now the commentators are having a wank about Button when at the start of last year they were saying he was a bit of a dandy compared to Hamilton. Think it may have something to do with driving for a rubbish team like Honda (for the most part) after farking up his Williams opportunity.

Raikonen and Alonso did well too and Mercedes may have reliability issues. Poor Maldonado, farked up in one corner, sill a good ride by him.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 08:28 »
    Agree with most of what you say Ram.  Have heard/read somewhere that the Mercedes is very hard on its tyres so over the whole race they look like they are going to struggle.  Wonder if other teams will still be claiming that Mercedes are cheating... ::)

Superb drive by Button.  Big fan of his, and hope he outperforms Hamilton again this year, winning his second title in the process.  :win

Really feel for Maldonado, especially after the season Williams had last year.  Both Saubers had good races, particularly Perez from the back of the grid.  Lotus look very promising for the season ahead, but I can't  help but feel it will be McLaren and Red Bull fighting it out for honours this year, and everyone else competing for third...
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 08:41 »
    Button winning the championship, now that would be noice. That he was able to agree to being equals with Hamilton when being defending champion deserves some praise.

Aye, let's wait and see if the cheating claims are sustained. Softcocks.
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 11:54 »
    ...yeah, good on Button...now we'll see how the car will be refined thru the season and how the political battle that has fed that development in the past plays out...methinks if it continues to be a Button car it is proof positive that Hamilton's star at McLaren has faded and he will be gone at season's end...

...also good to see that Raikkonen seems to have a good car to play with...he could become a very interesting wild card this season...especially as both Ferrari and Mercedes have produced cars that are not entirely up to scratch( the former simply bad and the latter functionally bad long term, as in hard on tires in race conditions )....

...this could be a great season...

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 01:22 »
    Wish the Froggie didn't crash out :( I like the look of that Lotus/Renault car.

After being in the first corner flip up and ending up at the back of the pack, good to Riccardo get 9th. He's the new Jack Brabham!!! :P
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

joe_papp

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    • All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well.
      • My Website
    « Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 00:51 »
    Ouch, this season has the makings of a procession for Mclaren, the teams and drivers they would be most afraid of are a long way back. Early days though.

If the Renault is this good, they are seriously going to regret not having a better driver line up. (Raikonnen not having raced for two years)

Dude, no offense, but are you kidding? Did you watch Quali from Malaysia before leaving your post unedited for so long that I could respond to it?! lol...
    If I read you correctly, you're suggesting that if the Lotus E20 proves to be a reliably fast car, the team will regret/lament having signed Kimi Raikkonen? (btw: in place of...who? Rubens, for example?! ::))

Even having made a couple of errors during his Q3 flying lap (which he admits to), Raikkonen's pace was competitive and his technique was visually beautiful to behold. Obviously as fans we don't have access to any data or real insight into the team, but just from his performance at Melbourne where he finished 7th after having started waaay back, and what he did today, I don't know how you could continue to think that Raikkonen's two-year break from F1 retarded his abilities. I don't even know how you could've thought that initially! lol  :fp

Anyway, enjoy tomorrow's Grand Prix. I'll leave you with something from Autosport...

From AUTOSPORT http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98348:

Kimi Raikkonen believes his Lotus had the potential to be inside the top two in qualifying for the Malaysian Grand Prix, had not made a mistake on his Q3 flying lap at Sepang.

Raikkonen will start from 10th on the grid in Sunday's race after the team was forced to change his car's gearbox, but Raikkonen believes his pace was good enough to contend for pole; on paper, at least.

Asked by AUTOSPORT if he could have been one of the two fastest drivers in qualifying, the winner of this event in 2003 replied: "Yeah for sure. It's [his time] a tenth away from the top three and for sure we lost that easily.

"I got out of shape in two places and lost maybe a tenth or two, and on a perfect lap for sure it could have been two tenths faster, but it's not often that you get everything right like that so..."

The Finn also revealed that he was happier with his car after overnight changes to the floor and repairs to his KERS, which hadn't functioned properly during Friday's practice.

"It worked today, so I mean it didn't work yesterday, we had some issues with KERS and all sorts of things," he explained. "Now it is normal and it's fine. I don't think in Melbourne... it didn't feel something right. We ran the same floor, and then we changed the floor yesterday because we had some issues and suddenly it's like it was in testing."

The 2007 world champion was quick on race pace on his return to F1 at Melbourne last week, where he finished seventh, and though he hopes to be able to achieve a similar speed on Sunday, he was cautious about predicting a podium place..."If it is the same like yesterday I think we have a pretty good car."
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #42 on: March 25, 2012, 08:48 »
    I'm not entirely certain Kimi has the raw speed of say an Alonso, Hamilton or Vettle but yeah a classy driver- He's probably more comparable to Button and like easy on the eye.

He gets a 5 grid penalty this time so lets see what he does in whats looking like a wet race, I think Schumi will go well today IMO.

• ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 10:28 »
    I'm not entirely certain Kimi has the raw speed of say an Alonso, Hamilton or Vettle but yeah a classy driver- He's probably more comparable to Button and like easy on the eye.

He gets a 5 grid penalty this time so lets see what he does in whats looking like a wet race, I think Schumi will go well today IMO.

well you certainly put the curse on Schumacher there

no live coverage here (not that i would be allowed to watch it. already had way too much sport on this weekend) but still waiting for this safety car to go in and actually do some racing
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #44 on: March 25, 2012, 10:33 »
    Dammit what is Hamilton playing at. Balls up of a pit stop and loses the lead.

Button shows his silky smooth driving skills by parking his car in an HRT
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 10:46 »
    Much as i like Mclaren it is always good to see guys who do not have the 'best' cars leading a race. Already know Alonso can drive the cr@p out of any car but Perez is doing a great drive right now
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 11:51 »
    Oops, I put the kiss of death on Schumacher there.  :fp
    Alonso wins and the impressive Perez second.   Possibly a future Ferrari driver maybe- he has to be better than Massa.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 12:06 »
    Interesting that Hamilton does not quite have the race pace to match his qualifying pace in both races so far
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 12:33 »
    Slept after the race got stopped and woke up well after it finished, good timing.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 16:14 »
    Disappointed for Perez. I hope his team getting on the radio telling him to just race for 2nd whilst he had the aibility to pass Alonso didn't flip up his concentration there. Meanwhile Grosjean has a terrific start then gets taken out by Schumacher?
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 17:40 »
    Disappointed for Perez. I hope his team getting on the radio telling him to just race for 2nd whilst he had the aibility to pass Alonso didn't fornicate up his concentration there. Meanwhile Grosjean has a terrific start then gets taken out by Schumacher?

Dont think Sauber (ferarri engines) are unofficially allowed to win in front of Ferarri in a situation like that.  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 22:49 »
    Slept after the race got stopped and woke up well after it finished, good timing.

That is what formula 1 is for. When i was in Uk spent many a sunday afternoon watching the start, sleeping for 90 mins then waking to see the final 2 laps
  • ReplyReply

• joe_papp

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    • All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well.
      • My Website
    « Reply #52 on: March 26, 2012, 00:52 »
    Much as i like Mclaren it is always good to see guys who do not have the 'best' cars leading a race. Already know Alonso can drive the cr@p out of any car but Perez is doing a great drive right now

+1.

I'd hate to be Massa right now though. Can't see it getting better for him. The slow downward spiral will continue until Perez takes over?
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #53 on: March 26, 2012, 06:33 »
    Dont think Sauber (ferarri engines) are unofficially allowed to win in front of Ferarri in a situation like that.  ;)

Bullsh*t!
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 06:46 »
    +1.

I'd hate to be Massa right now though. Can't see it getting better for him. The slow downward spiral will continue until Perez takes over?

Not sure many people want to be Alonso's team mate, especially in a dodgy car. Always thought he was the best at getting the most out of a crap car.

Really interested in why Hamilton does not have the race pace to back up qualifying. Is it a design issue in car or a mental issue in his head

• ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 07:33 »
    Oh, I don't know.  I think a large % of the grid would take a contract at Ferrari without even reading it - I exaggerate for comedic effect but you get the idea.

There isn't necessarily all that much overlap between the drivers who want to go there and the drivers that Ferrari wants to get though.  Thats the problem, and increasingly its probably the reason that Massa still has a seat...

Mind you, he recovered his weekend pretty well.  Imagine the press if he finished where we all expected him to after Qualifying!?!
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 12:35 »
    Bullsh*t!

...given Ferrari's long history of shady dealings and long being blessed by super special  unique decisions handed down by the powers that be that arrangement you have so emphatically written off is not exactly beyond the realm of possibilities...

...and sorry that my response is conspiracy writ large but this is Ferrari we are talking about...they are after-all, the head snake in a den of deadly vipers ( which, for me at least, is a big part of the fun in this very soapy melodrama) ...

...that being said, great drive by Alonso...he took maximum adavantage of some real lucky breaks...

Cheers 
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 14:43 »
    I don't doubt it could be true. I said bullsh*t because it's bullsh*t they can do that. Perez had the fastest car and would have be an awesome and deserving winner.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 00:13 »
    I really don't see Peter Sauber signing a contract with that hanging over his head.  Oviously there is not going to be anything written down in the normal paperwor - but I still dont think he would sign if there was something else going on in the background.  If so, he would have switched to Renault (like the other half of the grid) by now.
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #59 on: March 29, 2012, 17:28 »
    ...find below link to a nice article on Vettel's season so far...and as an extra added bonus includes with some interesting insights into the relationship btwn car design and driver success ( oddly enough the same issue runs across the Button/Hamilton divide )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2012/03/vettel_collision_a_champion_un.html

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Road Nats 2017 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 19:34]

Re: Men's Transfers 16-17 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 19:26]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [Today at 18:17]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by Leadbelly