collapse

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 953
  • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
Re: Formula 1 - 2012
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2012, 18:10 »
Vettel did come across as a half brained whinging bolloc after the incident. For farks sake, accidents happen and backmarkers are racing a bloody thankless one. That said, HRT are slow as sh*t.

As for the Red bull, it's good that they aren't dominating this year, can't have another Ferrari '99-'04.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #61 on: March 29, 2012, 18:18 »
    Who said this is the sport section? We can talk about anal lube sex too if we wish.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #62 on: March 29, 2012, 18:21 »
    Too much lube and the battering ram would go round and round too.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1121
    « Reply #63 on: March 29, 2012, 21:36 »
    Dude, no offense, but are you kidding? Did you watch Quali from Malaysia before leaving your post unedited for so long that I could respond to it?! lol...
    If I read you correctly, you're suggesting that if the Lotus E20 proves to be a reliably fast car, the team will regret/lament having signed Kimi Raikkonen? (btw: in place of...who? Rubens, for example?! ::))

Even having made a couple of errors during his Q3 flying lap (which he admits to), Raikkonen's pace was competitive and his technique was visually beautiful to behold. Obviously as fans we don't have access to any data or real insight into the team, but just from his performance at Melbourne where he finished 7th after having started waaay back, and what he did today, I don't know how you could continue to think that Raikkonen's two-year break from F1 retarded his abilities. I don't even know how you could've thought that initially! lol  :fp

Anyway, enjoy tomorrow's Grand Prix. I'll leave you with something from Autosport...

[Some stuff that demonstrated that he had a super quick car but failed to get the most out of it]

No offence, but are you seriously suggesting that everyone should edit their posts as each event unfolds? If only it was that easy to rewrite history.

There are two drivers in a team, my point was that Grosjean wasn't good enough for the drive (and I may turn out to be wrong here, and no, I won't edit this post if I am) and Raikkonen hadn't competed in the sport for two years. (cheers for the spelling tip).
    To suggest that Raikkonen is as good as he can be straight away in race one is bizarre, he's never used DRS before in a race and when he used KERS three years ago, it's benefits were so limited that only two teams ran it throughout the season. And lo and behold he doesn't get the results the car is capable of, while Grosjean parks up what's left of his car twice in a row.

As for other drivers, even now there are plenty of proven quick drivers without an F1 drive or in 'lesser' teams let alone when they started their search for drivers for 2012.

I expect Raikkonen to improve. The trouble is I also expect Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren and possibly Mercedes to improve their cars at a faster rate than Renault once they all get them back to Europe. So while he is currently cobbling together a few points in what may be the second fastest car out there, he will end the season cobbling a few points in the fifth or sixth fastest.

So yes, on the evidence so far Renault will rue the fact that their driver line up currently isn't able to take advantage of the speed of their car.

• ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 52
    « Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 15:24 »
    ...the Chinese Grand Prix grid seems to indicate that we are in line to have one cracker of a race...heck, there is even the possibilty, though remote, that Kobacrashi may win ( now wouldn't that force the world to spin off axis for a while )...and there are other delicious possibilities here ( especially if there is moisture in the mix...Alonso could pull off another miracle...)...great on Raikkonen...and Vettel is off lost in the weeds ( and has to do something real super to assuage his fragile ego... )...and speaking of ego, the battle between Hamilton and Schumacher may end up with very big thud and plenty of carbon bits flying about...

...so stock up on cold beverages...this may be a race for the ages...

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 15:37 »
    Good qualifying session that, now the protests about the dodgy Mercedes rear wing should become more vociferous. Have to say, Ross Brawn does have a knack of finding loopholes, the blown diffuser and now the rear wing.

Let's see what Vettel is really made of with a not perfect car and high expectations. Wouldn't mind a Mercedes win and would be brilliant if Kobayashi could.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 16:04 »
    Nice qualifying by the flying Japanese driver Kobayashi!     
      I'd love to see what he could do in a Ferrari or any better car.         

He puts plenty of the other drivers to shame and is just been a breathe of fresh air in the last 2 or 3 years IMO.

• ReplyReply

• nobilis

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 92
      • En Chasse Patate
    « Reply #67 on: April 14, 2012, 17:09 »
    I think Perez is more likely to take Massa's spot at Ferrari next season, if not before.
  • ReplyReply
  • Me and my teammate's (the new Lebanese National Champion) cycling blog
    http://enchassepatate.blogspot.com/     
    @chasse_patate    @nobilis_tobilis

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #68 on: April 14, 2012, 17:13 »
    Aye, think I've written earlier in the thread that Di Montezemelo in his interviews last year said categorically that Alonso would drive for the length of his contract at least and conspicuously avoided the other driver, Massa.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #69 on: April 14, 2012, 17:58 »
    ...the Chinese Grand Prix grid seems to indicate that we are in line to have one cracker of a race...heck, there is even the possibilty, though remote, that Kobacrashi may win ( now wouldn't that force the world to spin off axis for a while )...and there are other delicious possibilities here ( especially if there is moisture in the mix...Alonso could pull off another miracle...)...great on Raikkonen...and Vettel is off lost in the weeds ( and has to do something real super to assuage his fragile ego... )...and speaking of ego, the battle between Hamilton and Schumacher may end up with very big thud and plenty of carbon bits flying about...

...so stock up on cold beverages...this may be a race for the ages...

Cheers

blutto
    All so true.  Not a huge fan of Vettel, so am delighted to see him not getting it all his own way - he looked murderous after getting knocked out this morning.  Should be interesting to see how he copes driving out of the midfield...

Would love to see Rosberg win from pole, or Raikkonen (anyone bu Schumacher...)  Fervently hoping Button has some decent race pace (because his qualifying pace was utterly woeful) and can get near the podium.

As for cold beverages, it's on 8 in the morning here, so think I'll be nursing a nice big cup of coffee  :)

Nice qualifying by the flying Japanese driver Kobayashi!     
      I'd love to see what he could do in a Ferrari or any better car.

Arguably he (and Perez) are currently in a car that is better than the Ferrari  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #70 on: April 14, 2012, 18:05 »
    Will it rain? If it rains i might watch it. Otherwise it is too much of a procession for me. I appreciate the engineering that goes into F1, but the actual races tend to be more about the cars ability than the drivers.  But when it rains we really get to see some talent.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1121
    « Reply #71 on: April 14, 2012, 18:22 »
    Will it rain? If it rains i might watch it. Otherwise it is too much of a procession for me. I appreciate the engineering that goes into F1, but the actual races tend to be more about the cars ability than the drivers.  But when it rains we really get to see some talent.
    The Mercedes being on the front should make it worth watching. The theory is that this controversial air intake operated by the DRS switch makes a massive difference for qualifying but very little for the race. If so, there should be a fair amount of reshuffling.

Of course, the theory may be garbage. Only one way to find out.
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #72 on: April 14, 2012, 18:56 »
    ...apparently that intake thingee is a big advantage on high speed straights...which we will have in this race...but the Mercedes also chews up tires which will hurt in the curvy bits...

...so a bit of ying + a bit of yang = one potentially great race...

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #73 on: April 14, 2012, 19:01 »
    Ferrari seem to be struggling yes,   Massa is dead wood but Alonso is wringing the neck of the thing and leading the championship but clearly the car will improve through the next races coming up. 

Perez has a great chance of getting a drive there depending if Alonso is happy with that.   I'd go with Kobayashi from a racing point of view myself.

• ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #74 on: April 14, 2012, 19:13 »
    If it stays dry throughout the race, I think the Ferrari will be exposed, no matter how brilliantly Alonso drives.  As said by Blutto, Mercedes have yet to show anything in races, because their tires disintegrate, so although they lock out the front row, and will no doubt make a lightening fast start tomorrow, I don't think either will win.

If it rains of course, whole different ball game  :)
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #75 on: April 14, 2012, 19:41 »
    If it stays dry throughout the race, I think the Ferrari will be exposed, no matter how brilliantly Alonso drives.  As said by Blutto, Mercedes have yet to show anything in races, because their tires disintegrate, so although they lock out the front row, and will no doubt make a lightening fast start tomorrow, I don't think either will win.

If it rains of course, whole different ball game  :)

...yes...and  there will undoubtedly offerings made to the rain gods by certain folks tonight...and if Alonso survives to do well it gives Ferrari a chance to save their season ( their issue is aerodynamics which is potentially fixable...at least that is what Alonso has said)...

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #76 on: April 14, 2012, 20:08 »
    Ok i'll stick it on and hope for for a race  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #77 on: April 15, 2012, 09:38 »
    I'm really not a fan of Vettel but to go from 11th on the grid, have a shocker of a start to drop to 14th, and then finish 3rd/4th/5th is a very impressive drive.  Button's 3rd pitstop cost him the chance of victory  :(
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #78 on: April 15, 2012, 09:45 »
    Fifth only for Vettel.

Top race by Rosberg and Mercedes, and only 2 stops, bar the Schumacher pit-flop.
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #79 on: April 15, 2012, 13:37 »
    ...very nice race...happy to see Schumacher leave early ( not a fan at all )...good on Rosberg to finally get his act together on race day...which will really not sit well in Schumacher's craw....too bad for Kobacrashi but he has a very fast car so maybe next time...and too bad Kimi ran out of tire toward the end...

...a bit of race course history for next year...

The 5.451km circuit is built on a former swamp and is supported by a buoyant polystyrene 'sandwich' which includes over 40,000 concrete piles, some of which go 80m deep into the soft earth. The track was also built at such a fast pace - it was completed in around 18 months - that it is vulnerable to subsistence, hence the bumpy nature.

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 16:10 by blutto »

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #80 on: April 15, 2012, 17:43 »
    Cheers blutto, interesting that.

Bahrain next, not a perfect place in any sense of the word at the moment.
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #81 on: April 15, 2012, 20:34 »
    Cheers blutto, interesting that.

Bahrain next, not a perfect place in any sense of the word at the moment.

...yeah its about as perfect as a Baghdad Grand Prix ( if it had been staged 15 or so years ago)...gawd is this next race a black eye for F1....

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 163
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #82 on: April 16, 2012, 00:23 »
    I'll admit something at this point.
    Regardless of whatever else happens in the season or how they interact with other drivers in the standings, I am quietly rather happy with the way that Webber has been shading Vettel so far this season.  All those years of driving dogs have prepared him well for an 'off' Red Bull
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #83 on: April 16, 2012, 04:31 »
    ...the other way to look at it is that Webber is in a car again that suits his style ...its not unlike the situation at McLaren where Hamilton and Button have different driving styles and require different car dynamics to get maximum advantage...

...in China Vettel went for an older exhaust system that helped the car become more comfortable for him...it ended up being a bit slower but it was his kind of handling package...

...but point taken...good on Webber to roll with the punches and just do his job and be good pro ( yet again....and yes, I do believe he was done in by his team's car development when he just missed out on the title...whether consciously or by serendipity, the team gave Vettel  a car that more suited him and not Webber )

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #85 on: April 19, 2012, 19:52 »
    They're bringing this mess upon themselves, next they should have a race in Syria and be adamant about driver safety. Great attitude at the FIA.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #86 on: April 20, 2012, 12:39 »
    Force India opt to miss the second practice sesssion so that they can get back to their hotel safely in daylight
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17785335
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #87 on: April 20, 2012, 15:05 »
    ...Andrew Benson does some tech background articles for the BBC, here is one of his latest...real good read....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2012/04/how_webber_turned_tables_on_ve.html

...be fore-warned he has lots of good stuff...reading this guy adds a lot of meat to the F1 story...

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #88 on: April 20, 2012, 15:40 »
    Good read, what should be interesting is whether there are differing degrees of downforce, there clearly has to be, but to what effect will be an issue. Will the drivers, in this case Vettel, choose a different setup for low downforce tracks like Monza and Spa to the ones he is now?

Gee, Gary Anderson would've answered a fair bit of these questions. Shame he left the commentary, the only half decent voice there was here.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #89 on: April 20, 2012, 16:54 »
    JUST IN:'Anonymous' hackers group just hacked and shut down http://F1.com as protest against the F1 GP in Bahrein
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by LukasCPH
    [Today at 14:10]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by jimmythecuckoo
    [Today at 14:08]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by LukasCPH
    [Today at 14:00]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by just some guy
    [Today at 13:13]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by hiero