collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3349
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Tragic News
« on: March 19, 2012, 22:52 »
It is with a very heavy heart, that I am the bearer of extremely sad news.

it is the second time in a matter of months that this duty has fallen to me, and each time is equally heartbreaking.

On Saturday the 11th of February, Craig Walsh, known to many of you as Craig1985 was tragically killed after a collision with a motor car while riding his bike.

I really dont know what to say, except that my knowledge of craig was that of a great guy. From a personal point of view, on that day we had sent Craig a message asking him to become one of the staff on the forum, such was his popularity but also his personality.

On February 18th more than 60 cyclists rode from the Luke Harrop track at Runaway Bay to the funeral at Allambe Gardens in Nerang in memory of the 26-year-old.

In a poignant twist, Craigs signature on the cycling news forums pays tributes to three people. Xavier Tondo, Wouter Weyland, and John The Swordsman.

Words cannot describe how I feel knowing he has now been added to that list.

I will try at some point to contact a member of his club, or a member of the family so that we may pass on our sympathies.

At the moment I dont now of any tribute page where people may post comments, but i will endeavor to make some contact via the club.

If you are a member of Cyclingnews forums there is a thread here dedicated to Craig > http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=16810

Craig Walsh. 1985 - 2012
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 23:13 by Admin »

mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    Re: Tragic News
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 22:57 »
    Tears for craig   :(

I had a sad feeling the other day and realized we had not heard a peep for weeks....he's racing

a wonderful young guy
    we will miss him so in our little group
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 22:57 »
    lost for words
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    « Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 23:02 »
    Such sad news, Such a passionate guy , will be sorely missed around here.

RIP
  • ReplyReply

• Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 273
    « Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 23:07 »
    That's shocking news. I can only echo what's been said always a friendly guy who was there to contribute in a friendly way....Rest in Peace Craig you will be sadly missed
  • ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 77
    « Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 23:11 »
    really bad news. we were online bros. last year when he was injured we were talking a lot about recovery and how it was going. super nice guy. i guess
    we found too late to send much sympathy to his family. such is the forum life. this just hurts. RIP Craig1985/Craig Walsh.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 23:17 »
    Just do not no what to say, Rest in Peace!
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 23:30 »
    One of the giants of the online cycling community. Loved the sport both as a fan and as a participant.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 23:34 »
    Tears for craig   :(

I had a sad feeling the other day and realized we had not heard a peep for weeks....he's racing

a wonderful young guy
    we will miss him so in our little group

I see you posted a message on his CN profile yesterday asking how he was doing. Very sad indeed.

Strangely it says last activity was 3rd of March, though his last post was on the day of tragedy, and like most of his posts, was giving praise to another poster
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 23:35 »
    In tears, goddamnit... No words for this.

May you rest in peace Craig :(.
  • ReplyReply

• Dr. Horrible the Mad Elephant Man

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 63
    « Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 23:37 »
    Very sad news
  • ReplyReply
  • BMC and Cadel Evans fan
    I have chosen not to be able to receive private messages except from administrators.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3349
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 23:42 »
    I see you posted a message on his CN profile yesterday asking how he was doing. Very sad indeed.

Strangely it says last activity was 3rd of March, though his last post was on the day of tragedy, and like most of his posts, was giving praise to another poster

His last activity here was then as well. I can only assume someone logged on his computer and cookies kicked in. :(
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475
    « Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 23:43 »
    Rest In Peace. Words escape me.
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 23:53 »
    I will not pretend that I knew him well, but I am still shocked and speechless. It always feels  like 'one of your own' when an announcement like this comes along on a forum.

RIP Craig  :(
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3155
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 23:59 »
    OMG

I dont know what to say.

To his friends and family, I am so sorry.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475

Giuseppe Magnetico

• Maestro della ruota
    • Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 00:03 »
    I'm really super torn up about this one.  One of the nicest guys on the CN forum, for almost three years he was there and made friends instantly.  RIP Craig.
  • ReplyReply

• Dr. Horrible the Mad Elephant Man

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 63
    « Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 00:44 »
    Jonathan Cantwell who Craig raced against tweeted about Craigs death,

Quote from: @J_Cantwell
    Just heard the sad news of a fellow Gold Coast cyclist getting killed by a car. RIP Craig #flipendrivers
  • ReplyReply

• Sizzle

• Owner of Liquigas & Garmin
    • 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 140
    • Vale Craig1985
    « Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 00:50 »
    Such tragic news.

Craig was such a good bloke. He struck me as one of those rare people who'd have been liked by everyone who met him.

Shifting feelings:  shaken, sick, tears, anger.

My heart goes out to his family and friends in RL. How devastating for them. How they must miss him.

There must be some damn good racing in the afterlife (sadly). Hope you're enjoying it, Craig.

• ReplyReply

• Maxiton

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 00:54 »
    Yeah, this really sucks.  The last thing I was expecting to hear.  I followed your link to the CN post, Dim, and put my thoughts there.  How f*cking sad.  That's all I have left to say.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 01:18 »

hi Hitch. yeah, I had been thinking how quiet he was which was not like him...he was always posting.  After a few days I went to his profile to see when his last post was...it said March 3 and so I was thinking to myself that oh..two weeks.  but it had seemed much longer. So left a visitor mssg instead of pm so I didn't seem overly weird and hovering... :(

why do you suppose the last post info was so much later?
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    « Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20 »
    Jonathan Cantwell who Craig raced against tweeted about Craigs death,

thanks for posting this c
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 01:35 »
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.376721205686898.106101.150705781621776&type=1

For those of you who use fb, there is a memorial page for Craig.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    • Liked: 751
    « Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 01:37 »
    And there I was thinking that he must be on holiday or something, given the sudden silence from one of the fan sites top posters.

Man this sucks, what a waste.

If his personality on the fora was anything to go by, he'll leave a very big gap for those that knew him. I am not sure if there is much you can say that makes that less painful, although I hope they'll find some comfort in the knowledge that he was well liked in the virtual hang-outs for those with big cycling hearts. If you're gonna leave an impression, it graces the guy that it was a universally welcomed one, and a noticed one.

He'll be missed.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    « Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20 »
    pedaling thanx for the fb link, I will go there tomorrow.  :(

I'm getting tired of this emoticon but can't find a replacement that suits my mood
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 02:47 »
    Everything I have tried to write since hearing about this has been pointless and full of cliche.  What to say when you want to say something but have insufficient words...

Craig was a wonderful guy and he will certainly be remembered around the world by us and the others who have known him.  The wonder of the internet is that you can find yourself so touched by the passing of someone you have never physically met.

Why can't this sport be safe enough that our friends don't leave us so early and unexpectedly? 

• ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 02:55 »
    The wonder of the internet is that you can find yourself so touched by the passing of someone you have never physically met.

Amen, Marty. This is a phenomenon that I have sadly experienced before. But it is a wonderful thing of itself.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 02:57 »
    Everything I have tried to write since hearing about this has been pointless and full of cliche.  What to say when you want to say something but have insufficient words...

Craig was a wonderful guy and he will certainly be remembered around the world by us and the others who have known him.  The wonder of the internet is that you can find yourself so touched by the passing of someone you have never physically met.

Why can't this sport be safe enough that our friends don't leave us so early and unexpectedly?

Very well put Martin
  • ReplyReply

• Scott SoCal

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 04:02 »
    Where to start...

I've been trying to temp Craig to come to Flanders and ride the Cyclo for the last two years.  He had even mentioned making a race of it.

I just now read this news... I am completely blown away.  Stunned.  What a nice and sincere young man.

RIP, Craig.  It won't be the same.
  • ReplyReply

• Quixote

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 04:05 »
    This is so terribly sad. I enjoyed Craig's energy on this site as well as CN. Condolences to his family and friends.
  • ReplyReply

•