collapse

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 934
  • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
Re: Tragic News
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 04:58 »
Lost for words. A tragic loss, top bloke, knew his sport, loved some fun and I'd have loved to have shared a pint with him.

Rest in peace Craig
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 05:01 »
      The wonder of the internet is that you can find yourself so touched by the passing of someone you have never physically met.
    I think you've captured something that has been flitting around in my thoughts since reading about Craig's passing. I've been in a bit of a funk, just so saddened by this event. I see traffic collisions and death all too often at work, and as tragic and hideous as those events are, they rarely stick with me to this degree. Why? Do I wear a mask at work but relax when I'm reading the forum? Or was it because Craig was one of those few members who put his picture on the forum and let us into his life beyond just reading his opinions? I suppose seeing his face and reading about his plans made him that much more real even if he and I did not have much one to one interaction. This place is pretty cozy, there is more to it than just figuring out what member X thinks about bike Y, or race Z, or who wheelsucked whom. Sad that it takes something like this to bring that to my attention.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 06:00 »
    This is...wow, shocking. Don't think we ever really talked much but anyone who's been around on CN knew who Craig was and his posts were certainly respected, which says a lot about him. I often enjoyed reading about his exploits on the bike, which gave him a different perspective to most on racing.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09 »
    Yes shocked about this,  he came across as friendly and just seemed a great guy.
      Condolences to his family and friends.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 07:27 »
    Fornication......

One of the good guys taken before their time!

RIP Craig.

• ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10812
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 07:35 »
    Just spent the morning looking at images of an Australian football icon who passed away

and now to hear this news - Ram and I  had been wondering where Craig had been now this shocking news

RIP Mate
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 07:46 »
    Incredibly sad news.  Nothing new to add, but just to say that he came across as a genuine, sincere, and thoroughly decent bloke.  A tragic loss, and my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.  May he rest in peace.

• ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 10:36 »
    Lurked at CN, discovered the news. Already posted there, which I don't normally do nowadays. But I'll repeat the same here:

Craig always expressed himself simply, patiently and kindly. He was also wide-eyed and winsome about cycling and the world. I loved that about him.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 11:19 »
    Just to let you all know, i have sent a short messages to one of craigs coaches at the club. Passed on my personal commiserations but have also pointed him to this thread and the one on cn so that if he should wish to pass on some of the messages here he can.

Dave
  • ReplyReply

• Boomice

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    • #DickRobertson
    « Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 11:20 »
    Already replied at CN, but I'd just like to write something here as well.

It's hard to really get to know people on a forum, but I really liked him a lot.

In my own eyes, Craig was a unique individual. A guy that possessed some qualities rare to this world. Unlike many people, he was able to look past superficial things and see the essence of a person.

I'll really miss having him around.
  • ReplyReply

• Sizzle

• Owner of Liquigas & Garmin
    • 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 144
    • Vale Craig1985
    « Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24 »
    Just to let you all know, i have sent a short messages to one of craigs coaches at the club. Passed on my personal commiserations but have also pointed him to this thread and the one on cn so that if he should wish to pass on some of the messages here he can.

Dave

Thanks Dim, for this and for breaking the news to us.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 11:30 »
    Awful, heartbreaking news. I was never the closest of buddies with Craig but he was an unmissable pillar of this community and the old one.

He will be missed.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1081
    « Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 11:32 »
    Very saddened to hear this news.

An open and straightforward guy who was a real enthusiast for cycling on a personal level and for the sport generally. My thoughts and best wishes go out to his family and loved ones.
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 12:01 »
    Thanks Dim, for this and for breaking the news to us.

+1, thanks Dim.
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 14:15 »
    I think you've captured something that has been flitting around in my thoughts since reading about Craig's passing. I've been in a bit of a funk, just so saddened by this event. I see traffic collisions and death all too often at work, and as tragic and hideous as those events are, they rarely stick with me to this degree. Why? Do I wear a mask at work but relax when I'm reading the forum? Or was it because Craig was one of those few members who put his picture on the forum and let us into his life beyond just reading his opinions? I suppose seeing his face and reading about his plans made him that much more real even if he and I did not have much one to one interaction. This place is pretty cozy, there is more to it than just figuring out what member X thinks about bike Y, or race Z, or who wheelsucked whom. Sad that it takes something like this to bring that to my attention.

very nice post PS.

and yes thanks much for handling this so well dim.
  • ReplyReply

• mrs hill

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 17:42 »
    So sad to hear this.

Rest in Peace, Craig.
  • ReplyReply

• python

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 17
    • still to be born
    « Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 18:42 »
    Just saw the terrible news at cn...

I can't find words to express my sadness.
  • ReplyReply

• GreasyMonkey

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 18:54 »
    Such a loss, at an age when you had the vitality, enthusiasm and drive to achieve so much.

For all of us that have never had the opportunity to meet you, but had some view of you as a person through your words on the internet, we are richer and blessed by the experience.

Your loss will leave a gaping hole in many people's lives, and my condolences to your family, friends and close associates.

Rest In Peace, Craig, for you will be remembered by many, for all the right reasons.
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 148
    • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
    • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
    « Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 19:25 »
    Horrible, depressing news. Craig1985 was a really nice down to earth guy. He will be dearly missed.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycman: Sagan Greipel Brajkovic Breschel CA.Sorensen Porte Wegmann Sutton Zubeldia Fedrigo Lastras Roux Selig Morabito Dumoulin T.Meyer
    CQ game-breakers: Boom Ciolek DeGendt Steegmans Bertagnolli Blythe Masciarelli Stetina Boeckmans Vaugrenard

usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 77
    « Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 23:28 »
    did my ride today in his honor. threw in an extra hill. he was a cool guy and it is sad for his family and friends.  we only knew him online, but his persona shown through. a genuine,nice man wish i could put it better.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 23:45 »
    Oh my. How terribly, terribly sad. I'm only just seeing this now.

Craig was someone who set such an admirable example to other forum members. He was upbeat and positive, had a true love for the sport, actively and passionately participated in the sport, had keen insights to offer, always treated others with respect, was at all times humble, and possessed a wicked sense of humor. This is stunning.

He let us into his world with words and images, and proudly remembered, and paid tribute to, others who had passed before him. By doing so, he reminded us all of how fleeting this life can be.

In all honesty, just yesterday on a ride I was reminded of one of his comments from several months ago. I didn't interact with him much directly but always enjoyed his contributions. What a tragic loss.

My thoughts go out to all those who knew him, rode with him, and loved him. He was a great ambassador for cycling and a wonderful member of this community. A true humanitarian.

R.I.P. Craig
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 23:54 »
    That is a beautifully written tribute, DB. Thank you. :(
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 01:15 »
    Just to let you know, I heard back from the president of Craigs club this evening. He is going to pass on our condolences, and is aware of the threads here and on cn. It may be of small comfort to know that he had touched people all around the world.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 08:42 »
    Really sorry to hear all this. I didn't know him, but he was one of the posters that always contributed and I enjoyed reading his posts. He'll be missed.

All the best to his family and friends, for no matter how much we'll miss him it'll be much worse for those who knew him in real life.
  • ReplyReply

• GreasyMonkey

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 1
    From a friend on the Gold Coast who knew Craig very well has provided me with some further information on the accident and Craig as a person.

Craig had been to the races, he then went to have breakfast with his friends at Paradise point and on the way home he pulled over to the center lane to make a right (Australia drives on the left-side, like Britain), he stopped for the lights and was still when some d***head was coming in the opposite direction, texting on his phone when his car mounted the median strip took out the street lights then he cannoned into Craig and he was killed there and then.

He had some problems of which gave him some learning difficulties, but he was very bright and went to the Giro on his own, took his bike rode from one stage to another where he could, then trained on the long hauls.
    So many people admired him for overcoming many problems, he became a very competent photographer and was looking to take this to international cycling, I am sure he would have made it.

I have passed on the links to this thread and the one on CN - apparently the people who he was close to had no idea that he was such an active participant on these forums, so my friend will post them in the club's e-mail newsletter, so that others can see yet another facet of Craig's life.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:41 by GreasyMonkey »

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    From a person on the Gold Coast who knew Craig very well has provided me with some further information on the accident and Craig as a person.

Craig had been to the races, he then went to have breakfast with his friends at Paradise point and on the way home he pulled overto the center lane to make a right (Australia drives on the left-side, like Britain), he stopped for the lights and was still when some d***head was coming in the opposite direction, texting on his phone when his car mounted the median strip took out the street lights then he cannoned into Craig and he was killed there and then.

He had some problems of which gave him some learning difficulties, but he was very bright and went to the Giro on his own, took his bike rode from one stage to another where he could, then trained on the long hauls.
    So many people admired him for overcoming many problems, he became a very competent photographer and was looking to take this to international cycling, I am sure he would have made it.

thanks for this, he was a great guy and can only imagine what it must be like for his family and friends. he must have left a big hole in their lives.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 934
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 10:52 »
    Farking bastard driver. Seems a top man Craigos, sad loss.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 13:48 »
    I wish Craig would have had the luck to be able to drive on the Dutch road system.. Makes me so sad again having to read this :(
  • ReplyReply

• Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 52
    « Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 16:46 »
    Gallery Farewell to Craig Walsh
    http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup_preview.php?category_id=37761&offset=3

thanks for that and damn still hurts... Was thinking of it during my ride today...  it sucks balls to have lost him :(
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Craig1985

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 16:55 »
    thanks for that and damn still hurts... Was thinking of it during my ride today...  it sucks balls to have lost him :(
    I have not touched my bike since...
  • ReplyReply

•