collapse

cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3257
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
Re: Pro Cycling Manager
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2013, 15:48 »
Training camps are useful, but not all the time. One before the season for everyone, one on the cobbles for the classics squad, and maybe GT recon. How much it affects results, I have no idea!

If I'm targetting a particular race, I tend to keep out of the break. My usual tactic is to pair my riders up, so I have 4 doms each protecting 4 better riders. And I sit everyone near the front and just keep with the pace. That way if I need to close down a gap, it's not my main riders who are exposed and if it gets hard (mountains etc.) later on, I can shed the first 4 and then pair up those remaining. Then I can shed the other 2 and be left with my main leader and one teammate.

And usually then what happens is Chris Froome/Nibali/Purito/Contador sprint past me and I swear loudly. But hey, you can't win 'em all!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 572
    « Reply #151 on: October 13, 2013, 13:47 »
    Training camps/doping can make it pretty easy, though if you have a weak team they are good to get some competitiveness. I generally only use them for GTs so I can do crazy things in the mountains.

For example I just did the Giro and won with Quintana (2nd year, 2013 route) by more than half an hour. The competition was pretty weak, he was an 82 MO and the next best was Hesjedal 80 who randomly lost heaps of time on a couple of hilly stages. Majka 78 ended up in second but I had Dennis, Weening, Clarke and Kelderman in the top 12 who were all 76-78. The last two stages were fun, I attacked with Quintana at the bottom of Gavia just for lols, got about a minute before they could react and the group thinned out pretty quickly, I just adjusted the effort to keep the gap whenever they chased hard, did the exact same on Stelvio. I think I had 1-2minutes at the start of Val Martello and ended up winning by 6, he was on a +5 so think that contributed a lot. There were maybe a dozen withdrawals, not quite as many as I hoped for but those that survived paid for it the next day. On that stage no one attacked at the start, seemingly in protest so I randomly sent Lancaster up the road whilst it was still flat and he got 15-20mins, I'd end up using him to pace one of my guys on the flattish section before Giau. Once they hit the climbs I kept attacking with one of my five GC guys at a time and again it thinned out quickly. I could never get a real gap so it ended up being pretty regulation as far as the GC gaps were concerned, but all the sprinters behind suffered big time. When Quintana finished Farrar was two hours behind, just starting Giau and there were another 10 or so solo or in small groups all more than an hour behind.
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #152 on: October 15, 2013, 10:10 »
    so i've improved, quite a few small wins plus good results....

capechi won a stage at P-N
    castroviejo won tro bro leon
    quintana stage and GC at Crit intl
    and then valverde won amstel won fleche and 2nd liege

but the sponsor is still not very happy. is the only way to make the sponsor happy to do complete the goals they set? and other results are basically irrelevent?
    can you change what they set as goals?

also, valverde doesn't want to re-sign is there a technique to make this happen? or do i need to replace him for next season?
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #153 on: October 19, 2013, 05:19 »
    The PCM Daily Expansion is out, worth downloading before starting a new career.

http://pcmdaily.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=941
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #154 on: November 13, 2013, 23:11 »
    Downloaded some update windows recommended - windows 8.1, and now when I try to play PCM I get this message

Internal error (error code: 0xE2003053). Close all applications and try again.
    If this does not help, press "Error report" and send the report to product customer support.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #155 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29 »
    http://pcmdaily.com/news.php?readmore=852

Windows 8.1 and older PCMs no good mix

The new Windows 8.1 operating system may bring some new features, but for those of you who are still enjoying PCM12 or an even older version - it might be worth thinking twice before updating. Why? It's simple - the games wont run. The problem was first noticed by emmea90, who reported to Cyanide - who confirmed the issue.

PCM13 does on the other hand work with 8.1, but only through running PCM.exe and PCM-protection.exe as an administrator.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #156 on: November 14, 2013, 02:24 »
    Is there an easy way I can go back to windows 8 ?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    Re: PCM 15
    « Reply #157 on: June 24, 2015, 18:26 »
    It took me a while to dig up this topic, considering it was titled 'O'

Just bought PCM 15, last PCM I used was I think 13 or maybe even 12, can't remember. It has been a while.
    The big talk is about the new "Be a Pro" feature when you create and focus solely on one individual rider throughout.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7543
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #158 on: June 24, 2015, 18:32 »
    You know, PCM (or rather its predecessor CM 04/05) was what really got me into cycling.
    Got that for 10€ in a supermarket, got hooked, and things went from there. :)
    Picked up PCM08 later, but never played it much (although I did like the track modus).

Finally I bought PCM06 (yes, 2+ years after release) and spent many, many hours with that game and its PPDB Giant2007 database.

But I haven't played the game for ~4 years now: After getting Perutnina Ptuj into the ProTour and signing a.o. EBH, Bennati, Gerrans and a bunch of youngsters, it became too time-consuming to manage all those riders' schedules and training.

And it's much more fun to be a part of the real cycling scene! ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #159 on: June 24, 2015, 18:39 »
    Me too Lukas. It is a long story, but cut short visiting the now extinct "GAME" to buy a Fifa game most likely I alighted upon a PCM game on sale for only £2. I decided to splash out and the rest is history.

Agreed with the too time consuming bit, which is why the 'Be a Pro' mode caught my eye and influenced my purchase. Focusing on just one rider would appear to be much less time consuming and reduce the management needed whilst still enjoying some of the fun benefits of the cycling season.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316
    « Reply #160 on: June 24, 2015, 20:40 »
    I play PCM. It has definetly improved my understanding of cycling, along with good tv-coverage and me trying to train myself into better shape. I enjoy the career mode but I am so deep into a game in 2014 version I am not convinced about upgrading as I will have to start over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8075
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #161 on: July 02, 2015, 19:13 »
    The only one I've played is PCM 11, so now that some of you have had time to play the new edition a bit, I'd be interested to know if the game has become any more user friendly in the past four years. Any tutorial wizard? Any "assistant" you can delegate boring stuff to?

Also, if you play as Team Novo Nordisk, is it coded in that you can only sign diabetic riders?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #162 on: September 08, 2015, 16:20 »
    Took the plunge and bought it while it was reduced in price on Steam. PCM Daily update downloaded (which took a while).

Reckon I'll give the Be a Pro mode a whirl. Easier to control one guy rather than 6-9.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #163 on: September 08, 2015, 16:43 »
    Took the plunge and bought it while it was reduced in price on Steam. PCM Daily update downloaded (which took a while).

Reckon I'll give the Be a Pro mode a whirl. Easier to control one guy rather than 6-9.

Interesting...I avoided buying it when it came out because it looked pretty similar to the 14 version apart from that mode.

But after winning about 9 back to back stages / races on that game I probably need a new challenge.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #164 on: September 10, 2015, 10:31 »
    Signed up with Novo Nordisk.  :cool

Only had time for three races so far:

Sprint practice race - Helped Peron to finish 13th

NZ TT Nats - First podium as I finished third (TT was the specialiazation I went for)

Cobbles practice race - Horrible conditons at E3. Was working for Peron again mostly, but still finished the highest Novo Nordisk rider in 27th. Beaten by Roman Carretero though.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    « Reply #165 on: September 10, 2015, 19:58 »
    Started off as a Climber riding for Axeon.

Managed to pick up a stage win at the Volta ao Alentejo. Put in a few weeks Puncheur training and won LBL U23.
    Then went to Amgen and took the KOM jersey and finished 7th on the queen stage, 15th overall.

One thing I don't like about this mode is the lack of control you have. Ok, I get that the DS is meant to be in charge of strategy, but it doesn't seem realistic that you can't then order your team to chase, protect you etc., and it's also difficult to form a lead out train. Maybe I'll figure out a way but seems a bit of a flaw.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #166 on: September 13, 2015, 13:19 »
    I don't have that problem at Novo Nordisk. Nobody expects us to chase/protect/win anyway.  :P

Into the second season already, but I did manage to pick up a few more wins in season one. All TT victories with one GC title at the Valley of the Sun (level on time with Jani in the TT and then beat him on placings on the two flat road stages).

Tempted to start again though as things are probably going to get too easy. After one season of TT training (and at 20 years of age) I've already got the best prologue stats in the game and seventh best in TT. With one year of climber training will I be winning everything? So I might start again with a different development potential and see how that goes.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    « Reply #167 on: September 16, 2015, 00:19 »
    Finished the season with a handful of minor victories plus a stage of the USA Pro Challenge where I managed to beat Dennis on a MTF, unfortunately finished 2rd overall by a handful of seconds.

Signed a 2 year deal with United Healthcare and have been steadily improving. Managed to get 2nd in Oman on GC, 10th at Amgen, 4th at Langkawi, 2nd in the Tour of Norway (by 4" to Henao) and 2nd and a stage of Criterium International.

Past month has been very fruitful however with two stages and the GC at Tour of Slovenia and two out of two on the Tour of Austria so far.

I have been alternating training between climber, stage races and puncheur, with the result that I'm now probably the best climber at Pro Conti level and have a god kick, but flat and TT stats still let me down a lot. Hopefully I'll pick up a few more wins and can push UHC up to WT level as we've not had an invite to a single WT race yet.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: RIP/ memorial announcements by Echoes
    [November 20, 2019, 12:28]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Leadbelly
    [November 19, 2019, 19:18]

Re: Tokyo 2020 Olympic Road Race & ITT thread by Leadbelly
    [November 18, 2019, 15:37]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [November 17, 2019, 07:59]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Drummer Boy