• Liked: 148
    • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
    • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
    Re: Pledge
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:39 »
    I pledge my support of womens cycling.
    Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycman: Sagan Greipel Brajkovic Breschel CA.Sorensen Porte Wegmann Sutton Zubeldia Fedrigo Lastras Roux Selig Morabito Dumoulin T.Meyer
    CQ game-breakers: Boom Ciolek DeGendt Steegmans Bertagnolli Blythe Masciarelli Stetina Boeckmans Vaugrenard

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:35 »
    I pledge to check results every now and then to see if Emma Pooley has won anything lately.

I pledge to pause once every few months and wonder 'What on earth happened to Nicole Cooke?'

I pledge to remain completely uninterested in Marianne 'Ladymerckx' Vos, regardless of how many races she wins.
  • ReplyReply

• The Poster Formerly Known As Moondance

• Dutch Mafia
    • Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 19
    « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:43 »
    I pledge to check results every now and then to see if Emma Pooley has won anything lately.

I pledge to pause once every few months and wonder 'What on earth happened to Nicole Cooke?'

I pledge to remain completely uninterested in Marianne 'Ladymerckx' Vos, regardless of how many races she wins.

I have half a mind to smite you for this answer  :P

Anyway, I certainly pledge to be interested in women's cycling as long as the Dutch ladies continue to own it.
  • ReplyReply
  • "The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead." - John Maynard Keynes, A Tract on Monetary Reform

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10812
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 14:44 »
    Great to see now more work for the admin as the calendar needs women races as well.

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 18:16 »
    Im sure if someone starts a thread or a womens race they can work out how to add it to the calendar. ;D
  • ReplyReply

• timmy

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 12
    « Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 02:41 »
    I have half a mind to smite you for this answer  :P

Anyway, I certainly pledge to be interested in women's cycling as long as the Dutch ladies continue to own it.

I wont lie, I smited him.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 00:47 »
    I'm not even sure if this thread will generate much discussion, but I'm curious to get some opinions on CylingTips' recent addition of a women's dedicated sub-site (at least I believe it to be recent).

http://cyclingtips.com.au/ella/

It seems to me a bit of a double-edged sword. It makes it easy to follow women's cycling stories exclusively, but I can't help thinking that it also segregates the Women's and Men's sport more than is necessary.

My recent posts about the Hour record have magnified this issue for me a bit. Wouldn't it be better for both sides of the sport if that discussion were all under one umbrella, so to speak? Things such as preparation; equipment; training; location of, and for, the Hour—these are all things that would seem to be better suited to one discussion, as opposed to separate ones for each gender.

I use the Hour only for demonstration of a larger issue, as it serves well to demonstrate some of what I'm hoping to express. There are many aspects of cycling that would obviously apply to both genders, so is the sport better served by separating those discussions into two? I really don't know.

Thoughts?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 08:12 »
    I'm not even sure if this thread will generate much discussion, but I'm curious to get some opinions on CylingTips' recent addition of a women's dedicated sub-site (at least I believe it to be recent).

http://cyclingtips.com.au/ella/

It seems to me a bit of a double-edged sword. It makes it easy to follow women's cycling stories exclusively, but I can't help thinking that it also segregates the Women's and Men's sport more than is necessary.

My recent posts about the Hour record have magnified this issue for me a bit. Wouldn't it be better for both sides of the sport if that discussion were all under one umbrella, so to speak? Things such as preparation; equipment; training; location of, and for, the Hour—these are all things that would seem to be better suited to one discussion, as opposed to separate ones for each gender.

I use the Hour only for demonstration of a larger issue, as it serves well to demonstrate some of what I'm hoping to express. There are many aspects of cycling that would obviously apply to both genders, so is the sport better served by separating those discussions into two? I really don't know.

Thoughts?
    We had the race sections together for a while and TBH it just didn´t work -  But I see what you are saying and I am not sure there is a good way to go about it. I just hope some people start to help me out and get it´s own vibe going . It is great when I come on and see an unread post in there.

As for Ella -  what a massive miss. But not unexpcted tbh and I expect it too be less and less womens Road cycling and more Women who cycle, if that makes sense. But take away Shane from Cycling tips and that what you have left for the men anyway. I will wait on my full blwon rant leter to see if the ship heads to where I expect
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 11:41 »
    Isn't it a bit soon for such damning conclusions, JSG?  :P

I have to admit, I wasn't even aware of this until just now, but I see it as an opportunity and it is, given CT's strapline, very much in keeping with the general output. CT has never been a pure racing news site.

Why it's an opportunity, I think, is demonstrated by this:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/02/visiting-valentina/

You would never, never, never (a triple Hein headlock, for extra emphasis) enjoy this sort of depth or novelty in articles about the men's sport. This is the sort of intimate portrait that, in mainstream journalism, only big time glossies are able to produce. Men's cycling has become opaque and cynical. Embedding with teams is a derisory, backscratching exercise. Even the end-of-career autobiographies tell you zip.

Put simply, Ella demonstrates that the women's sport is more accessible for being (presently) less orchestrated. It's a greenfield opportunity and CT seems to have spotted that. Growth through access, access through growth. A virtuous circle indeed.

More of this.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 11:50 »
    Isn't it a bit soon for such damning conclusions, JSG?  :P

I have to admit, I wasn't even aware of this until just now, but I see it as an opportunity and it is, given CT's strapline, very much in keeping with the general output. CT has never been a pure racing news site.

Why it's an opportunity, I think, is demonstrated by this:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/02/visiting-valentina/

You would never, never, never (a triple Hein headlock, for extra emphasis) enjoy this sort of depth or novelty in articles about the men's sport. This is the sort of intimate portrait that, in mainstream journalism, only big time glossies are able to produce. Men's cycling has become opaque and cynical. Embedding with teams is a derisory, backscratching exercise. Even the end-of-career autobiographies tell you zip.

Put simply, Ella demonstrates that the women's sport is more accessible for being (presently) less orchestrated. It's a greenfield opportunity and CT seems to have spotted that. Growth through access, access through growth. A virtuous circle indeed.

More of this.

Sort of but I have been chatting about this for months with folks

and the issue I have is there is no pure racing website for women, hence the massive miss, but I did say I would wait for a few month to see where the ship sails

But yes that home to the Italian family was a fun read
  • ReplyReply

•