collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10733
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Martin318is

• Domestique
  • Liked: 162
  • Less interesting than he seems on paper
About Masters Club racing:
".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
  • Classics Winner
  • Liked: 359
Re: Retirement announcements
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:40 »
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=16829

just sayin...   ;)

wow, you will need to take up a new hobby to fill in all that time. Or will we see a comeback in the future, where you offer to coach the new young mod on the block through the trauma of July postings. yes you may have added a few pounds, but it is all muscle. honest.

also noticed the list of people wishing you well looks strangely familiar
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3392
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 14:10 »

just sayin...   ;)

but we are still blessed with your company, so we will graciously allow you to retire and enjoy   ;D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 14:22 »
    but we are still blessed with your company, so we will graciously allow you to retire and enjoy   ;D

I had no idea that Martin had "retired" from CN until this thread. I rarely go there now but he was a terrific mod when I was on there all the time. It must be a really crap job on some forums.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:20 »

just sayin...   ;)

You did a lot of work Martin and to get a comment from Dan Benson says it all! You deserve a rest!
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 23:12 »
    Thanks for the kind words, all!  And yes, I had noticed that the posts on that thread were all from people we all know and love...like... are happy to talk in a civil fashion with!

Yes, I am enjoying ignoring the reported posts in my email (its not switched off yet as I am still listed as an Administrator there until dev get around to resetting me).  Its amazingly relaxing to see one and think 'not my problem, sorry'.  Its a long long time since I had last logged in there and just enjoyed myself posting - but now I have Velorooms for that!  You may see the odd post from me there - because I would like to pass the 3,000 post barrier - but I am spending about 99.5% of my forum day here.

(I honestly wasn't meaning to derail this thread quite this badly - it was just a throwaway joke! So back to the real retirements!)

cheers,
    Marty
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 23:47 »
    Thanks for the kind words, all!  And yes, I had noticed that the posts on that thread were all from people we all know and love...like... are happy to talk in a civil fashion with!

Yes, I am enjoying ignoring the reported posts in my email (its not switched off yet as I am still listed as an Administrator there until dev get around to resetting me).  Its amazingly relaxing to see one and think 'not my problem, sorry'.  Its a long long time since I had last logged in there and just enjoyed myself posting - but now I have Velorooms for that!  You may see the odd post from me there - because I would like to pass the 3,000 post barrier - but I am spending about 99.5% of my forum day here.

(I honestly wasn't meaning to derail this thread quite this badly - it was just a throwaway joke! So back to the real retirements!)

cheers,
    Marty

Trying to get the thread back on track. Once a mod always a mod.... ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 00:10 »
    Alberto Contoli (Colnago) retired, he wrote on his facebook page.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 07:29 »
    Blump
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 08:46 »
    Matt Wilson retiring

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/matthew-wilson-to-retire-after-vattenfall-cyclassics

wonder if that is the last of the breed.

Hard ass Aussie riders came to Europe and flogged themselves as Doms for no glory but had 10 - 15 year careers.
  • ReplyReply

• brassyn

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 28
    • Just a fan. Also, not a man.
      • FYC
    « Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 22:25 »
    Has Chris Horner got something he would like to announce after hanging onto George Hincapie's retirement hurrah onto the Champs Elysees today?  Or was he just getting in the way?  :)
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 22:31 »
    Has Chris Horner got something he would like to announce after hanging onto George Hincapie's retirement hurrah onto the Champs Elysees today?  Or was he just getting in the way?  :)
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-gives-everything-as-radioshack-clinches-tour-team-title
    Nope doesnt seem that way at least

Horner revealed that he has felt better at this Tour than he ever has in the past and stated that he hopes to return next year at the grand old age of 41. He also had some words of encouragement for Fränk Schleck who he has clearly become close to over the last few months.

"I want to come back, absolutely, if I've got the legs," Horner said. "I felt that this was the strongest Tour de France I've had. I felt really good in the mountains and thought that there were only four or five guys that could climb better than me here. I figured that if I got dropped it was more because of the efforts I was putting in to protect the team classification or to help guys on the team.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

ram

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 01:17 »
    Wong Kam Po at the Tour of Taiwan
    “But I might as well give way to younger riders,” he said. “If I do the Olympics, I’ll probably retire the day after. If I don’t, I might even retire before July because I’m pushed to move into coaching as soon as possible.”

He's not just on the road, so it might have to wait a bit longer.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 06:18 »
    Vino retired 2.0 after the ITT tomorrow at the Olympics.

Image the look of Fat Pat if he wins a medal
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 01:59 »

lol.  that would be hillarious. Unfortunately i think he has about as good a chance as Richie Porte.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 08:13 »

Armstrong, who returned to cycling after the birth of her baby nearly two years ago in a deliberate bid to defend her crown, then announced she’d taken part in her final competitive race.

“I am now officially retired,” said the 38-year-old Armstrong
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

ram

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 03:05 »
    Vino retired 2.0 after the ITT tomorrow at the Olympics.

I'll believe it when he goes.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 10:53 »
    This thread: lots of hindsight lols  :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 12:00 »
    GT

David White: "I am completely done and at peace with myself"

Well folks ... We are at the end of this road, I suffered, I cried, I've had good times and bad but mostly I enjoyed the sport and the Volta ever had.

When in February my "friend" Peter lit the fuse speaking ill of my forum toad never believed that the butterfly effect could be so strong, touched a spot in my soul that caused such internal explosion went from not wanting or see the bike within 5 miles of my to have most of the hunger for it.

The road has been filled with much suffering, moments of loneliness, pain and hunger but it was worth it, I believed in a dream with all my heart and gave me like everything else and had never worked as an attempt to be better cyclist and a better person and I have come to the conclusion that if you believe in something with so much strength that even hurts sometimes dreams come true.

It was a mixture of pride, self-esteem and desire to excel ... I could not leave by the back door without trying, very few people know but last year was not easy for many reasons that you do not care, and are past.

I tried with all my might trying to enjoy every second without really thinking it could never fail because the mere fact try and savor every step of the way filled me completely. I did not care what they said or pensasen me but also knew he had much to lose and little to gain ... If I win I will say is a more critical and if I lose I'm finished and much worse because I know people can be infinitely cruel.

The truth is that when you believe in something with all your might result stops importing and tell you what's on your side without affect you, I gave everything I believed in me more than ever and I succeeded! This is just wonderful, I'll take all engraved in my heart ... It has been the best year of my life, I've done for me, to be happy and everything else just gave me. I'm completely done and at peace with myself.

I just hope my story will help many, we are experiencing very difficult times and do not lose faith, not to lower the arm, the fight for what is fundamental dreams ... Fight my friends because if they do with all their power the dreams come true.

Thanks team, without you would not have been possible, thank Portugal for all you have given me, I like to thank each on my facebook wall, each follower on twitter, every shout of encouragement from the gutter, thanks Monica, you a champion and I have done infinitely better person, Xavi, thanks for being inspiration to many, thanks to all of you who put your two cents, I will always carry in my heart.

Carpe Diem

David White, in his Facebook, winner of five Voltas to Portugal (2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012)

David Blanco retires I think  ???
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 11:43 »

Moncoutié confirms retirement

The benchmark of a clean rider retires

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/moncoutie-confirms-retirement

Sunday to be his last day as an active rider
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 12:43 »

Let's hope he can sneak off on the Bola del Mundo.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 12:44 »
    I hope Vuelta honour him somehow.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 21:04 »
    Michael Barry retires. The Tour of Beijing will be his final race:

After a lifetime of bicycle racing and experiences that have taken me around the world, introduced me to my wife and my closest friends, I am ready to retire as a professional cyclist. 2012 will be my last racing season. The Tour of Beijing will be my final race. Cycling will forever be my passion but it is time to change direction to spend more time with my family. I’ve reached a period in my life where I want to grow in other directions and experience some of what I had put on hold while racing.

As a boy, I was fortunate to have supportive parents who surrounded me with a nurturing community. Through the most challenging moments in my cycling career and life, my family has been the safety net that gave me the confidence to persist. Firstly, I must thank them for their unwavering support and love. My wife, Dede, a retired professional cyclist, supported my career and goals and understood the sacrifices a cyclist’s family must make.

Through my 14 year professional career I’ve been fortunate to race with many of the top teams. From my first coaches and clubmates to Dave Brailsford and my Team Sky teammates I’ve had the opportunity to race and learn from many of the best.  The last three years on Team Sky has been ideal on every level. Racing is the job I dreamed of doing. I must thank my teammates, coaches, and rivals for making the job satisfying and memorable. The emotions after crossing the finish line, sitting on the bus with teammates and recounting the day will be hard to recreate.

Many of my fondest memories involve the bike but reach far beyond races: riding through the parks with my mother on the way to school, riding with my father, uncle and aunt through Provence, riding with my wife in the Rocky Mountains, and teaching my sons to ride their bikes.  On the bike, our relationships developed. That will continue long after I retire as cycling will always be a part of me. Cycling has given me something that reaches far beyond finish lines and race results. Over the last year, as I’ve thought of retirement and reflected on my career, this has become increasingly clear.  The racing journey has been a thrill but the cycling journey will continue.

Chapeau to a great cyclist who always gave his best for the sport..
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 14:09 »
    Grischa Niermann retires Sunday and will become a trainer for the rabobank continental squad.

http://www.rabosport.nl/wielrennen/video/AQYmJVVkFKey4qBHOdrmnIVb/Grischa_Niermann_stopt_ermee
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 13:43 »
    Jez Hunt retires.. no surprise
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    • Liked: 779
    « Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 14:04 »

Yeah, great rider... picked him in my fantasy team as a 'last time I could' tribute. Man did he cost me points  :police: :fp ;D

He tried, but couldn't take any glory home with him this time around. Hope it gets acknowledged somehow. He thoroughly deserves that.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Road Nats 2017 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 19:34]

Re: Men's Transfers 16-17 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 19:26]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [Today at 18:17]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 17:06]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH