collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10594
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Havetts

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1056
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
Re: Retirement announcements
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 10:31 »
Dimitri Fofonov retires.. (Source: Astanafans)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 08:37 »

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rhodes-says-farewell-with-world-championship-silver

Put a brave face on to return to the sport.

For those that do not know Alexis and her Aust teammates - a whole generation of Australian womens road cycling were almost wiped out when hit by a car

Amy Gillett died and others returned to various levels

Story here

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2005/jul05/jul19news2

out of that the amygillett foundation was born  http://www.amygillett.org.au/

But this is about Alexis enjoy the retirement :beer 
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 09:15 »

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/demaret-retires-at-28

Demaret retires at 28

That's really sad for J-E. Crohn's is a really nasty disease and makes any sort of endurance sport - and all the nutritional and fitness demands that go with it - pretty much impossible. You have good phases and you have bad phases, which is not palatable for pro cycling.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 11:58 »
    Simon Richardson has announced that he will retire from the sport.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12891/Richardson-retires-from-cycling.aspx#ixzz26ucOCWCw

• ReplyReply

• nvpacchi

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 13
    • Puttin' infinity up on trial
    « Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 16:51 »
    Alan Pérez retires after 8 years with Euskaltel

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=55697
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 20:53 »
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 00:07 »
    Sad to see him go. A huge personal favourite of mine, I have always enjoyed his effortless style, his lethal acceleration and his supreme tactical awareness. He couldn't always stand up to the big trains in the GT sprints but his record in one-day races alone has to put him among the all time greats, not just as a sprinter but as a classics rider.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 01:06 »
    Moncoutie Freire and Vino, possibly the 3 biggest fan favorites of the last decade, all retire in the space of less than 2 months.

Jens will probably go on another year though.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

nvpacchi

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 13
    • Puttin' infinity up on trial

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 08:10 »
    Javier Iriarte (Movistar Team) takes leave from professional cycling

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=56485
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 08:21 »
    Only realised this thread existed after I had posted on the general news one..

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2698/Sport/article/detail/3343247/2012/11/06/Posthuma-beeindigt-wielerloopbaan.dhtml

Joost Posthuma quits cycling. Had a bad year, had trouble adapting to his new team, two children at home. He didn't enjoy the sport as much any more, didn't have a new team and didn't want to take a step back to a smaller one. He denies the doping revelations had anything to do with it, but well, coming from RNT I do somehow doubt that.

Early to retire at 31, but understandable. Posthuma was a good rider, but never really exceptional in any way. Still a good domestique and TT'er.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 08:40 »
    That's a bit sad.

The problem once you get to that age as a domestique, it's better for the team to invest in a youngster who might develop into something one day. Posthuma could go on for several more years in a WT team.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 09:35 »
    agreed that is a bummer

Hope he enjoys retirement though
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Retirement announcements
    « Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 11:05 »
    “@Cycling_tweets: Bertogliati retires after 13 seasons as professional http://t.co/hW7GAmvN #cyclingnews”

"The 33-year-old began his professional campaign in 2000 when he signed for Lampre - Daikin. He has won two Swiss national time trial titles and one road championship.
    His most memorable moment came early in his career when he beat Erik Zabel and Robbie McEwen in stage 1 at the 2002 Tour de France and wore the maillot janue for two days.
    "In Asia I think the level has really risen in the last 10 years. The riders are getting much better," he said in a team video."
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 141
    « Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 15:45 »
    That's a bit sad.

The problem once you get to that age as a domestique, it's better for the team to invest in a youngster who might develop into something one day. Posthuma could go on for several more years in a WT team.

The saddest thing for me is that I read Joost's interview (supposedly the end of spring / beginning of summer) where he stated he's leaving Radioshack to find a new team in which he would have more freedom and could have got some races for himself :(

I've even considered him for my CQ team...
  • ReplyReply
  • "Women buy stuff at sales for the same reason men climb mountains - because they're there" (from 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 07:00 »
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13413/Back-problem-and-lack-of-contract-spells-the-end-for-Hostes-career.aspx

Not sure if link is good new tablet still working it out

Seems ok

1 of my all time favorites bad luck seems to have lessened his career should have won P-R once
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #47 on: December 24, 2012, 23:26 »
    Barredo retires and begins working for some cafe company in Madrid.  :(
  • ReplyReply

• esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 319
    « Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 14:20 »
    Jez Hunt retires.. no surprise

Tardy reply, sorry! Jez is moving back to Melbourne where he's hoping to enroll in University... he's hoping to do a physio course.

(The very idea of Jethro as a Uni student is mind boggling! I hope fatherhood has tamed him...!)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

ram

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 18:25 »
    Julian Dean to retire after the Kiwi national championships
    http://www.bikenz.org.nz/Story?Action=View&Story_id=84
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 19:02 »
    I always had a soft spot for Deano even if he didn't win much. A great pilotfish in his day.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #51 on: April 23, 2013, 13:16 »
    AleJet switches of engines: “I stop here”

Alessandro Petacchi (photo Bettini) chose to publish on team website www.teamlampremerida.com an important choice about his career ad pro cyclist.

“Paris-Roubaix closed an early part of the season in which I raced a lot, trying to be protagonist in traditional appointments, such Milano-Sanremo, and in competition for me less usual as Paris-Roubaix.

I approached all these races in the whole professional way, driven by the enthusiasm that Galbusera family and the new sponsors gave to the team. I’m aware I gave my best, as I always did in the 18 seasons as professional cyclist.

My career has been full of satisfactions and enriched by all the most important victories that a rider like me could ever aimed to. At the threshold of the 200 victories in career, I feel my life reaches a peculiar moment, a turning point in which I perceive the need to find a new dimension and to have more time to dedicate to my family. These considerations induce me to the decision to pause my career.

I always put first the professional side of my job, honoring the efforts made by sponsors, such Lampre, Merida and all the other partner of the team: I really thank them for the trust they gave me in these marvelous years.

I feel it’s time to dedicate time for myself and to go in search for new spurs.

By now, I want to say goodbye to all the cycling fans, considering that maybe there will be the chance to come back some day to be part on the world that gave me so much, offering my experience to the new cycling generations.

I’d like to thank the team, the sponsors, the management, the staff and athletes and everyone that supported me during my career, confirming by now my availability to support, when necessary, my mates and the team with advices and my experience.

Your sincerely,

Alessandro Petacchi”.

Team LAMPRE-MERIDA thanks Petacchi for the winning years spent together: 14 victories and the green jersey in Tour de France contributed to enrich a human and professional relation. Respecting the cyclist choice, the team and its sponsor are aware that the relation between AleJet and the blue-fuchsia-green colors will continue to be strong, considering the will by Petacchi to give his availability to offer the team its experience and his image of top sprinter. Soon, the team will organize initiatives in order to give tribute to the extraordinary career of Petacchi.

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily 5m
    Alessandro Petacchi's Major Wins. Giro d'Italia 22 Stages, Tour de France 6 Stages, Vuelta a España 20 Stages. Milan-San Remo 2005.

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily 1m
    Petacchi won the points classicifation in each of the three Grand Tours - Giro, Tour and Vuelta - during his professional career.

SEE YA ALE-JET
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #52 on: April 23, 2013, 13:18 »
    As I said elsewhere, stopping in April after barely two months' racing and a winter's worth of training is a bit odd, unless he was only signed until now.

Anyway, hopefully he will have plenty of stuff on his life list that he can now finally start doing. It's a tough beat giving your whole youth to the bike like these guys do.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 13:21 »
    Does seem odd especially with the Giro in 2 weeks would have thought ride the Giro and then retire if he wanted to finish now

Edit - did not know this - vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily 2m
    Most Grand Tour stage wins 1. Eddy Merckx 64 (G24, T34, V6), 2. Mario Cipollini 57 (G42, T12, V 3), 3. Alessandro Petacchi 48 (G22, T6, V20)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #54 on: April 23, 2013, 13:26 »
    As I said elsewhere, stopping in April after barely two months' racing and a winter's worth of training is a bit odd, unless he was only signed until now.

Anyway, hopefully he will have plenty of stuff on his life list that he can now finally start doing. It's a tough beat giving your whole youth to the bike like these guys do.

Signed in 2010.. likely a 2 or 3 year contract. .If it was 3 it was up last year, maybe just agreed to do a couple of months to start the season..
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #55 on: April 23, 2013, 14:31 »
    One of the great all-time GT sprinters, shame to see him go.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #56 on: April 23, 2013, 14:45 »
    Classy sprinter.   And still able to go toe to toe with Cavendish until a couple of years ago despite being past his best - shows how good he was.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #57 on: April 23, 2013, 19:40 »
    D@mn

Sad to see AleJEt go.. :(
    I thought he added pure class to the peloton..

I have to admit bells went ringing a bit considering the timing of 'immediately'..but I'll  pass on it as I really did enjoy his sprinting style..

I sure am going to miss a lot of these guys..Friere, McEwen, AleJet...and many more of that age.. :'(
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3220
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 17:08 »
    Saw a tweet from Tour de Jose earlier, but it linked to Wielerland and I can't read Dutch.

http://www.wielerland.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25608&Itemid=36

Is this really saying that Alejet didn't quit?
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 362
    « Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 17:11 »
    Saw a tweet from Tour de Jose earlier, but it linked to Wielerland and I can't read Dutch.

http://www.wielerland.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25608&Itemid=36

Is this really saying that Alejet didn't quit?

Yeah, they said something similar in the Sporza broadcast of Romandy. It appears as though he hasn't really retired
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: [1.1] Winston Salem Cycling Classic by Leadbelly
    [Today at 05:21]

Re: Hammer Sportzone Limburg by t-72
    [May 29, 2017, 21:02]

Re: Tour of Belgium by Echoes
    [May 29, 2017, 20:17]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by LukasCPH
    [May 29, 2017, 19:00]

Re: Man Down - Injury Reports 2017 by LukasCPH